View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
275. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

125 45.45%
  • Shinobu

1 0.36%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc.)

1 0.36%
  • Momo

8 2.91%
  • Tama

7 2.55%
  • Carrot

58 21.09%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 2.55%
  • Caribou

4 1.45%
  • Other

22 8.00%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

42 15.27%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 204 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 46 86 136 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Sucks to be Yamato to be so late into this arc. Backstory like Tama, gender confusion like O-Toko and the face of Nami.
    “As I stand out here in the wonders of the unknown at Hadley, I sort of realize there’s a fundamental truth to our nature: Man must explore!” – David Scott, Moon

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    I want to see if other characters will reckognize Yamato. Denjiro seems to have known Yamato from past festivals in Onigashima and have an idea of his true nature. Tama could confirm or deny his relationship with Ace.
    Denjirou, maybe, but we don't even know if Yamato and O-tama have ever actually met one another.

The implication seems to have been that Yamato's been trapped on Onigashima via explody-cuffs for basically 20 years, which would suggest that s/he and Ace met on Onigashima, and not on Wano proper. While I suppose we can't "technically" rule out Tama tagging along for an adventure with Ace deep into Kaidou's home turf, I'm hesitant to consider it as very likely.

I found it weird that they didn't translate the nickname. If Torao is Tra-guy, Yamao should be something like that as well.

I particularly like "Yama-dude".
    I think part of it is that Law and Kidd's nicknames ("Tora-o" and "Giza-o", respectively) have generally been localized as "Traffy" and "Jaggy", which loses the "-dude/-bro/-guy" aspect. If they stuck to the pattern, I'd expect Yamato's nickname to become "Yammy", or something like that.

Black tea is best enjoyed with one's fellow monsters.

I found it weird that they didn't translate the nickname. If Torao is Tra-guy, Yamao should be something like that as well.

I particularly like "Yama-dude".
    I thought they might go with " Yammy" because Tora-o and Giza-o were translated as "Traffy'" and "Jaggy".

otakufan beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by otakufan View Post
    Denjirou, maybe, but we don't even know if Yamato and O-tama have ever actually met one another.

The implication seems to have been that Yamato's been trapped on Onigashima via explody-cuffs for basically 20 years, which would suggest that s/he and Ace met on Onigashima, and not on Wano proper.
    eh?, but she found Oden's journal in Kuri.

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    I think it was after he was inspired by Oden and went to Kuri where Oden ruled and found the journal (985). Then the cuffs were put on after reading it in Onigashima.

She could have found the journal around same the time she was in Wano watching Odens execution.

Yes, but we don't know when. Oden died 20 years ago, and Yamato was "imprisoned" 20 years ago.

I'm inclined to believe that the journal would have been found by one of the non-time traveling Akazaya, a Kozuki loyalist, or a random Kuri resident long ago if it was a period of many years between it being hidden away and Yamato discovering it (particularly since s/he lacked any direct connection to the Kozuki clan and would presumably have only been able to find it if it hadn't been hidden especially well), so my thinking is that Yamato ran off to Kuri and found it shortly after the execution and before Kaidou locked him/her up.
    Last edited by otakufan; August 2nd, 2020 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by otakufan View Post

The implication seems to have been that Yamato's been trapped on Onigashima via explody-cuffs for basically 20 years, which would suggest that s/he and Ace met on Onigashima, and not on Wano proper. While I suppose we can't "technically" rule out Tama tagging along for an adventure with Ace deep into Kaidou's home turf, I'm hesitant to consider it as very likely.
    I understand the timeline, and I don't think Yamato and Tama could have met if Yamato's story is entirely true, but I think even then Tama may know and comment about "Ace's friend from Onigashima" if there was someone Ace cared about there.

One of the things that leaves me iffy about Yamato's story is that I don't think Ace would leave a friend behind. Ace is a lot like Luffy, and also inherited Roger's habit of never leaving before his friends, a trait that was highlighted a lot in the post-Marineford flashback.

I have no doubt Yamato met Ace, but were they really friends, or could Yamato possibly have been an enemy (or frenemy)?

So, I think other characters, like Denjiro or Tama, may be able to either confirm or deny Yamato's claims, even if they don't know the whole picture.
    No, I'm not back. I never left. It's just that it has been a long time since I had something to say.

I understand the timeline, and I don't think Yamato and Tama could have met if Yamato's story is entirely true, but I think even then Tama may know and comment about "Ace's friend from Onigashima" if there was someone Ace cared about there.
    Yamato and Tama having heard of one another through Ace is certainly possible, I'll grant that.

One of the things that leaves me iffy about Yamato's story is that I don't think Ace would leave a friend behind. Ace is a lot like Luffy, and also inherited Roger's habit of never leaving before his friends, a trait that was highlighted a lot in the post-Marineford flashback.

I have no doubt Yamato met Ace, but were they really friends, or could Yamato possibly have been an enemy (or frenemy)?
    Ace obviously left a good impression on Yamato, so I'm inclined to believe that they parted amicably, at the very least, but I'd say it's too early to know if their relationship was Nakama-level.

But more to the point, it seems clear by my read that Ace departed from Wano with things he wanted to do left undone and a promise to return one day and see them through - probably the whole "upstart rookie slams face-first into a Yonkou reality-check" thing.

Perhaps he planned to free Yamato upon his return, once he was actually prepared to liberate Wano and take down Kaidou properly?
    Last edited by otakufan; August 2nd, 2020 at 01:23 PM.

I really wanna see that Yamato and Ace flashback. She seemed to know Luffy was Ace's brother, so she knows he's dead.
    Here’s how Naruto should end: Last panel is Naruto standing proudly over Konohagakure. Slowly zoom out to reveal Luffy staring into a snowglobe with a miniature Konoha inside it. Usopp asks him what he’s doing. Luffy replies “Thinkin’ bout ninjas! Ninjas are cool!” and then chucks it off the ship

I'm certainly not satisfied with what little Carrot has actually done these past chapters, but I was always prepared to wait for her big stand-out moment. She and Nami are going to get out of that situation somehow, hopefully on their own merits, and they're both still in prime positions to be right alongside the other Straw Hats once they converge in the hall.

What I personally hope to see before the Sulong card comes into play, and it will, is Carrot using her normal skills that are already quite formidable to help clear the ranks. I Again, it's not like I'm satisfied with this showing; she should be able to take care of those low level Homies at the very least. But I think her true strength lies in her maneuverability and speed, so I'm expecting at least some of that on display soon. And when she does go Sulong, I'm sure Luffy will see it this time, and his reaction will be telling, I'm sure.

So, Yamao, huh? *pfft* Seriously, though, the nickname doesn't mean a lot at this time. It's more notable when Luffy does remember the name, but nicknames don't actually hurt someone's chance, though they don't raise them either. And still, Yamato's development is way too rushed for what I've grown to expect. The exploding cuffs were introduced last chapter and then dealt with the one after. Yamato's definitely on Luffy's side, but I still think his/her journey is not destined to extend onto the Sunny, despite asking for that ride.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

The fact that Shinobu is left to save Momo as Carrot and Nami are what I speculate to be bait, makes me think less of Carrot being part of the new retainers. I thought Shinobu coming along was hinting at Carrot's purpose possibly being a new retainer, but this is a knock against that.

I'm gonna ignore that Luffy isn't calling Yamato by his name for now, but if it happens again, it's a factor. I never thought Yamato was a baddie like Puddin, but he's definitely leaving something out.

Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    I'm certainly not satisfied with what little Carrot has actually done these past chapters, but I was always prepared to wait for her big stand-out moment. She and Nami are going to get out of that situation somehow, hopefully on their own merits, and they're both still in prime positions to be right alongside the other Straw Hats once they converge in the hall.

What I personally hope to see before the Sulong card comes into play, and it will, is Carrot using her normal skills that are already quite formidable to help clear the ranks. I Again, it's not like I'm satisfied with this showing; she should be able to take care of those low level Homies at the very least. But I think her true strength lies in her maneuverability and speed, so I'm expecting at least some of that on display soon. And when she does go Sulong, I'm sure Luffy will see it this time, and his reaction will be telling, I'm sure.

So, Yamao, huh? *pfft* Seriously, though, the nickname doesn't mean a lot at this time. It's more notable when Luffy does remember the name, but nicknames don't actually hurt someone's chance, though they don't raise them either. And still, Yamato's development is way too rushed for what I've grown to expect. The exploding cuffs were introduced last chapter and then dealt with the one after. Yamato's definitely on Luffy's side, but I still think his/her journey is not destined to extend onto the Sunny, despite asking for that ride.
    With how each every plot point has been blown through fairly quickly on Onigashima, I'd say this isn't a big deal. Any other arc, it would've taken quite awhile to take those cuffs off.

While I don't consider the nickname a big deal right now, but if Luffy doesn't memorize Yamato's name later on in the arc, then yeah, I wouldnt see them getting on the Sunny.
    Here’s how Naruto should end: Last panel is Naruto standing proudly over Konohagakure. Slowly zoom out to reveal Luffy staring into a snowglobe with a miniature Konoha inside it. Usopp asks him what he’s doing. Luffy replies “Thinkin’ bout ninjas! Ninjas are cool!” and then chucks it off the ship

I think Yamamoto because she is represents oden in the new era ,
    and want to know the secrets of the world and world government

I still think that Yamato should have been the Witching Hour Boy. It would have hinted at her character a lot earlier in the arc and it would have immediately shown us that she has been doing her best in her own way to help the people of Wano in secret. It would have shown that she truly cares about the people of Wano and actually worked towards opening the borders of the country. Kyoshiro being the Witching Hour Boy doesn't really add anything to the story to me, it would have been enough for him to just secretly observe Orochi and Kaidos plans over the years.

I also still don't know why Yamato is needed at all in this arc and why Oda felt like he needed that character in the story. So far her only purpose seems to be to reveal the information of Odens logbook at the end of the battle and be the catalyst that starts the eventual Kaido flashback. Both things that could have achieved in a different way without introducing a new character. While Yamato will probably be quite powerful I don't see her being the secret missing piece that was needed to defeat Kaido.

It will be really interesting to see what Yamato does next now that she knows that the Kozuki clan and the Scabbards survived 20 years ago and are now back to fulfill Odens wish. Will she just become their fangirl now and immediately swear her loyalty to Momonosuke or will she realize that her dream is already being fulfilled by other people and she can now focus on what she herself really wants. For me this is the most important part that will decide if I want to join her or not. I don't want an Oden fangirl that does everything just because Oden did it. Instead I want to see who Yamato really is and what she truly wants. I also think that Luffy will keep calling her by that nickname and only change it when Yamato is confident enough in herself.

@thegarc
    Kyoshiro was introduced as Wano's money man. Witching Hour Boy was the Robin Hood. Denjiro was an educated thief. It does add up.

I do agree to some extent that Yamato was somewhat abrupt, but Katakuri was late in the arc as well. He was crucial to the last arc. The difference would be that there was a hint to Kata and none for Yamato. In there lies the issue.

I'd say the nickname would be a point against Yamato is he keeps it despite being corrected, that could imply Luffy does not care enough. He mistook Brook's name at first but corrected himself immediately after being told by again by Brook.

I imagine that Luffy is just avoiding gender confusion since Yamato, who is clearly a female, introduced herself as a male. Hence, Yama-o (guy). Regardless, if he continues to address Yamato as Yama-o despite her correcting him, then yeah, her chances doesn't bode well. Still was never a fan of Yamato potentially being a Straw Hat since she got introduced 70+ chapter into an arc without being mentioned or foreshadowed, despite the frequent cuts made back to Onigashima.

I feel Yamato needs to be her own person first rather than imitating Oden.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmamentHero View Post
    I really wanna see that Yamato and Ace flashback. She seemed to know Luffy was Ace's brother, so she knows he's dead.
    Since we know of the Journal, her presence in Oden's execution, the mistreatment from Kaido, and other possible details like a connection with Tama, and even the fate of whoever her mother is. Ace is really just one part of it, we actually need a huge flashback here.

also, Yamato could be de person Ace learned to make hats from.

Yamato could be de person Ace learned to make hats from.
    It was Tama who taught him.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information