View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
368. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

189 51.36%
  • Shinobu

1 0.27%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc)

1 0.27%
  • Momo

9 2.45%
  • Tama

9 2.45%
  • Carrot

68 18.48%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 1.90%
  • Caribou

6 1.63%
  • Other

28 7.61%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

50 13.59%
Closed Thread
Page 352 of 506 FirstFirst ... 252 302 342 350 351 352 353 354 362 402 452 ... LastLast
Results 7,021 to 7,040 of 10112

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

"Apprentice" is such a lackluster role. I could understand if it were a kid sidekick, but an adult as strong as a captain? Yamato already has all the requisites Luffy had when he set out on his journey plus more.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    Oh yeah, well the Lookout doesn't even exist in the present, never seemed to be an issue for you.
    How does this in any way refute my statement? We're not talking about a lookout role, we're talking about the apprentice role.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

I look forward to the Yamato Zoro combo where he consistently gets Yams lost by following his lead.

Quote Originally Posted by otakufan View Post
    I've been leaning toward a final crew total of 13 (including Luffy) for some time, in part because I am fully expecting Vivi to return within the next arc or two.

Consequently, I doubt the crew will be "complete" once Yamato joins the team, unless Wano ends up giving us two new crewmembers somehow (above and beyond Jinbe). Regardless of how the official numbering shakes out (who is #11, who is #12), I'm expecting at least one more, with Vivi rounding the crew out at #13.

Now Oda just needs to bring Gin back
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    How does this in any way refute my statement? We're not talking about a lookout role, we're talking about the apprentice role.
    It only make your expectations look rather flexible.

If Lookout can come into existence, Apprentice can come out from flashbacks into present time too then.

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    "Apprentice" is such a lackluster role. I could understand if it were a kid sidekick, but an adult as strong as a captain? Yamato already has all the requisites Luffy had when he set out on his journey plus more.
    The contradiction is where the interesting part is.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I can't see what position Yamato or any other character could fill, so a joke position as an "apprentice" could at least end up being humorous.

It only make your expectations look rather flexible.

If Lookout can come into existence, Apprentice can come out from flashbacks into present time too then.
    Comparing a role that might exist to a role that does exist are two different things. If the role does exists, then there are plenty of in-universe qualifications that go along with it, such as the fact that the apprentice role has only ever been shown in flashbacks. The equivalent to a lookout would be something like a logkeeper or an astronomer. Roles that don't exist, but could. And they aren't weighed down by canon or facts.

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    The only time Oda actually used red herrings intentionally was Water 7, but it was quite short-lived since Franky became obvious midway through the arc.

Oda has limited time and energy, so he needs to make sure his story is focused on stuff that actually matters instead of fakeouts.
    If only Oda had Paulie standing with the strawhats on top of that tower declaring war on the World gov. and jumping off in to the void on to the train.

Would've kept stringing Paulie supporters along possibly until the end of the arc up to Franky joining. Especially if instead of telling Zoro to relay a message he was there to deliver it himself and tell them they're fired and maybe get in on a CP9 fight.

Ah well, somebody had to save the Franky family, giants, and Galley La shipwright from the marines.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Comparing a role that might exist to a role that does exist are two different things. If the role does exists, then there are plenty of in-universe qualifications that go along with it, such as the fact that the apprentice role has only ever been shown in flashbacks. The equivalent to a lookout would be something like a logkeeper or an astronomer. Roles that don't exist, but could. And they aren't weighed down by canon or facts.
    Uh?
    Characters officially hold apprentice position.

No one officially holds Lookout at all.

Speaking of which, the wiki doesn’t have a page for bodyguard, though the role seems to have prominence in the One Piece world. For example, Sentomaru and Denjoro held this role, even though Denjiro’s case was deceptive. Luffy himself also acted as a bodyguard to Shirahoshi, even though it was temporary, and that Oda had the idea of making Zoro a bodyguard for Buggy before changing the idea.

Archaeologist isn't a role on a ship that existed in the story before Robin. I don't see it as a knock on Yamato if he assumes a role that didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    Archaeologist isn't a role on a ship that existed in the story before Robin. I don't see it as a knock on Yamato if he assumes a role that didn't exist.
    This is a better solution than putting him in a position that does not fit (i.e.: apprentice).
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Uh?
    Characters officially hold apprentice position.

No one officially holds Lookout at all.
    If you want to talk about official positions, then compare them to others we've seen in those positions and the circumstances in which they were in that position. If you want to talk about unofficial positions, then do like I do and compare them to other unofficial positions and why you think they could be official. Pick one.

The apprentice role only exists in flashbacks and it's generally to link current characters to past ones.
    That doesn't seem like any precedence that I'm aware of. Same as them not needing a Shipwright because Ussop does the repairs, or Helmsmen because everyone steers the ship, or likewise Lookout , which hasn't been mentioned as a position at all, present or flashback but most of us can agree if Carrot joined that's what her position would be.

The great thing about Yamato being their Pirate Apprentice is despite being strong as nails she's very naive and inexperienced about real world situations. She knows nothing about the sea but really wants to go out on it based on a bio she read. It's funny.

And even with all of that he was still just a wet nose Rookie. Just like Yamato will be.

"The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terror"

Quote Originally Posted by Blowfish View Post
    And even with all of that he was still just a wet nose Rookie.
    Yeah, because he was starting, but he was beyond what people expect from an apprentice.
    Apprentices do menial labors, learn roles and need to become stronger. Yamato is already beyond those. He just wants to see the world and have adventures. I won't be surprised if he ends up being a captain instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    With Jinbe people called out his role being Helmsman from way back when the prisoners escaped Impel Down (which I still find silly given the crew has never really had issues with steering the Thousand Sunny, at least in the same way the notion that the crew needs a shipwrights has been brought up occurred).
    Well yeah that was silly and its made worse by the fact the crew have sailed through half of the new world with for the most part not many helmsman related issues. It'd be different if the seas and weather of the new world was absolutely insane and the crew was shown struggling to get to Punk Hazard, Zou, and Dressrosa but nope it's been pretty easy.

So its quite possible Oda gives Yamato some official title that most ships have but the crew doesn't really need or wasn't a big issue (like most crew roles ppl have been suggesting).

Its my one issue with her being the chronicler. Great profession. Hits a narrative spot in the story but to me it only works for the finding One Piece and Luffy becoming pirate king part. To me, that role would fit best if he was the 2nd or 3rd person to join so he'd be able to document everybody joining and the entire journey with all the adventures.

And the whole point of forums and discussions are speculation.
    Never had a problem with this or said anything pertaining to it.

Im imagining what Yamatos role would be based on what weve seen so far, and Im pointing out my concerns about those observations.
    I mean this sounds nicer but it still read like complaining about something that hasn't even happened in the story yet.

But I dunno maybe you've disliked other past crew roles before they joined.
    Last.fm

Yamato grew up within the Beast Pirates, read Oden's journal, and would be older than half the crew. Apprentice is not applicable.

Yeah, because he was starting, but he was beyond what people expect from an apprentice.
    Apprentices do menial labors, learn roles and need to become stronger. Yamato is already beyond those. He just wants to see the world and have adventures. I won't be surprised if he ends up being a captain instead.
    The Strawhats aren't like other Pirate crews, and to be frank the hijinks of Yamato possibly being excited to do menial chores on a Pirate ship is a very real possibility and it'll work because they're such a strong character, but still green. Had Luffy met Shanks at 17 as opposed to a toddler he possibly would have been allowed to join and would more than likely be their Pirate apprentice since he would be the rookie amongst veterans. Remember someone like Rockstar who thought himself a bigshot was doing menial tasks for the Red Hairs.

Also I don't think anyone is suggesting Yamato wont possibly have their own crew down the line, just after they've sailed with Luffy and Company.

"The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terror"

The flashback is either hinting a position, or not at all.

If no position is exposed, then apprentice it is.

I'd be more accepting of "Oden" as a position than some of the stuff I've seen. And "Oden" would be a wildcard that does whatever they want.

Closed Thread

Thread Information