View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
368. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

189 51.36%
  • Shinobu

1 0.27%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc)

1 0.27%
  • Momo

9 2.45%
  • Tama

9 2.45%
  • Carrot

68 18.48%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 1.90%
  • Caribou

6 1.63%
  • Other

28 7.61%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

50 13.59%
Closed Thread
Page 351 of 506 FirstFirst ... 251 301 341 349 350 351 352 353 361 401 451 ... LastLast
Results 7,001 to 7,020 of 10112

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Why would anyone think Tama is joining? She's a weak kid with a devil fruit that's uniquely useful in this specific arc, and she's already talked about how she wants to see Wano with Momo as Shogun.

Tamas role has consistently been hostage that needs saving. She's not ready to sail

She's also got an army of beast pirates to keep in line now.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon D. Luffy View Post
    Sure, but Yamato being apprentice in a crew that has the Weak Trio would be silly as hell.
    There was plenty of weaklings in Newgate's crew when Teach jumped in, I also image not everyone in Roger's was a powerhouse either

What really counts is experience, Nami, Usopp and Chopper ARE experienced Pirates for over two years, visited tons of islands, challenged the Marines and WG, they know what is like to leave one island, navigate the harsh Grand Line sea and discover a brand new island ahead.

Yamato doesn't have any of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    There was plenty of weaklings in Newgate's crew when Teach jumped in, I also image not everyone in Roger's was a powerhouse either

What really counts is experience, Nami, Usopp and Chopper ARE experienced Pirates for over two years, visited tons of islands, challenged the Marines and WG, they know what is like to leave one island, navigate the harsh Grand Line sea and discover a brand new island ahead.

Yamato doesn't have any of that.
    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then, cuz we both think apprentice is fine but disagree on how we would feel about it.

Personally I think there is a lot of potential comedy to be had about a 28 year old, insanely tall, oni-human with a potential scary zoan acting like a new kid.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Why would anyone think Tama is joining? She's a weak kid with a devil fruit that's uniquely useful in this specific arc, and she's already talked about how she wants to see Wano with Momo as Shogun.
    I mean I wouldn't bet on it but Tama is like a 5%, as opposed to Carrot's... 0.5%? 0.1%?

She's got a dream, an easy fit with the apprentice role, and a promise from Ace. That is something, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    Ok. I'm still on the USS Carrot until it goes under, but there are a few of things about Yamato that bother me.

1) Why he hasn't spent more than a few panels with SH Pirates. So far, it's just been Luffy (while serving as an exposition dump and to have his cuffs removed) and running past Franky while protecting Momo. It just seems weird. We can assume that Luffy will be back after Yamato's inevitable defeat, which still wouldn't have him out there around the other SHs. I can't figure out why Oda would take this approach.

2) Yamato's strength. Right now, he's "holding off" an emperor seemingly with CoC (without even using his DF yet either). Putting someone like on the crew would immediately make them the second strongest SH. Could Zoro, Jinbe, or Sanji hold off Kaido? Nope. It would feel really unsatisfactory watching the SHs strength grow over the last 20 years just to see Zoro and Sanji now get outclassed. Hell, Oda made us wait forever for someone like Jinbe to join and it was likely due to how strong he was compared to the rest of the crew.

3) Yamato was super Nami-face this chapter. Sorry. I had to. :)
    On (1), I agree. Yamato's entire situation is weird: he appeared very late in the arc, has almost no interaction with the crew, and even the few moments he got with Luffy and Franky were pretty small. I don't see reason for Luffy to see Yamato any different than Drake, for instance. Also, Luffy seemed annoyed by Yamato's insistence, and I feel Yamato only wants to go with Luffy because of Luffy's reputation. So, if Yamato is to join, there's still a lot waiting to happen.

On (2), I want to see how that last panel will be continued next chapter. I find odd the choice of having the clash shown from afar. With Kaido saying he won't hold himself against Yamato, I wouldn't be surprised if that blow was more one-sided than it seems. We know Yamato couldn't break his cuffs by himself, and Ulti said his Thunder Bagua was very lacking, so I don't think Yamato is THAT strong, but he may be very resilient.

On (3), yeah, Oda forgot to emphasize Yamato's eyebrows this chapter, especially in the last page.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

2) Yamato's strength. Right now, he's "holding off" an emperor seemingly with CoC (without even using his DF yet either). Putting someone like on the crew would immediately make them the second strongest SH. Could Zoro, Jinbe, or Sanji hold off Kaido? Nope. It would feel really unsatisfactory watching the SHs strength grow over the last 20 years just to see Zoro and Sanji now get outclassed. Hell, Oda made us wait forever for someone like Jinbe to join and it was likely due to how strong he was compared to the rest of the crew.
    )
    Jinbro held off Big Mom multiple times in WCI and is now treated as not worthy of a Calamity.

Yamato would know Kaido's fighting style better, and his only mission is to hold off until Luffy comes back.

Ok. I'm still on the USS Carrot until it goes under, but there are a few of things about Yamato that bother me.

1) Why he hasn't spent more than a few panels with SH Pirates. So far, it's just been Luffy (while serving as an exposition dump and to have his cuffs removed) and running past Franky while protecting Momo. It just seems weird. We can assume that Luffy will be back after Yamato's inevitable defeat, which still wouldn't have him out there around the other SHs. I can't figure out why Oda would take this approach.

The first two are easily solvable if you consider Wano is not really that close to ending and Oda only introduced Yamato late because there is a lot left to happen in the arc.

Like, Brook didn't seem too connected to the crew early on either, but then he got flashback, a fight with Oars, etc. We are still not at the climax of Wano, really, regardless of whether you think it ends in this raid or another raid, and in this act or another act.

Well yeah, Oda admitted there aren’t many beautiful female faces he likes after all. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    Just gotta hope Lufy doesn't deny him and redirects him to Momo duty. Luffy has a history of directing Yamato to Momo.
    There would be no more dangers after Kaido is gone.

I mean you could argue the WG could attempt some funny stuff, but narratively speaking, spending 8 years in a saga to put Momo into safety, just to put him in danger right afterwards, it simply makes no sense.

Vivi and Shirahoshi might be in danger again, but after considerable amounts of peaceful times in their lives.

Also its gotta be considered that badasses like Denjiro and Ashura Douji will be around.

Discovered Stowaway astagadragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Zoros function on board is to stab people inbetwenn naps and protein shakes. I'm sure Yams can fill an equally useful slot
    Yeah, what's wrong with another combatant? Yamato is unique because she uses a blunt weapon and basically a female frontline fighter. No need to categorize her in weird jobs like bodyguard etc.
    "The rain has ceased, and we have been graced by another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it." - Elidibus

Jinbro held off Big Mom multiple times in WCI and is now treated as not worthy of a Calamity.

Yamato would know Kaido's fighting style better, and his only mission is to hold off until Luffy comes back.
    Knocking BM off a shiip once when she's in her feeding frenzy isn't the same thing as holding off Kaido for an extended period of time in his hybrid form using CoC-based attacks, though. Even Luffy just barely managed to do that.

The first two are easily solvable if you consider Wano is not really that close to ending and Oda only introduced Yamato late because there is a lot left to happen in the arc.

Like, Brook didn't seem too connected to the crew early on either, but then he got flashback, a fight with Oars, etc. We are still not at the climax of Wano, really, regardless of whether you think it ends in this raid or another raid, and in this act or another act.
    Right, but assuming he eventually loses to Kaido, then he still won't be anywhere close to the SHs. They likely wouldn't even meet him until after the battles conclude, which would make for a short turnaround between meeting someone and letting them sail on your ship as a crew mate. Brook spent time on the Sunny with the crew before even going to TB and then again while on TB. That's not the same as the crew meeting him for the first time after Moria was defeated, which would be the equivalent.

The assumption I'm making are that ether there will be quite a few volumes after the non-yonko battles conclude (so the strawhats will spend time doing something else, like teaming up against Big Mom/Kaido or an invading third party), or the current battles will actually be lost.

Something is off. Some parts of the current plot feel like they are too green, while others feel like they are close to end of arc conclusion. I don't think the last thing the strawhats do is their current fights with the flying 6.

To disregard the focus Apprentice has received in this arc alone let alone the entire series is mind boggling to me, you just have to ask yourself if Luffy and crew had an Apprentice it would probably look more like Yamato, imprisoned monster child of a Yonko than a Kid Shanks and Buggy. It's akin to having a former Warlord Fishman Captain as the Helmsmen.

Yamato for all intent and purpose would be a rookie Pirate after leaving Wano Country with the crew, she's been literally shackled since she was at least 8 or 9 years old, her starting her journey as the overtly strong inexperienced wide eyed badass is the most strawhat thing ever imo, especially where all the other members are strength wise at this point. Nami's weapon has sentience for crying out loud, these things are happening because obviously they need to be developed as characters but also because characters like Yamato and Jinbe before that would be joining.

Marco, Jozu, Teach, Shanks, Mink Rulers etc. were all given exposition in their Apprentice days during the flashback, and Kaido was casually mentioned as the Apprentice of the Rocks during Levely I believe, so let's not pretend it's some throwaway position. It's been given focus, and at the very least we know Marco already had his Mythical Zoan and was a main fighter on the Whitebeards' despite being an Apprentice.

"The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terror"

Oh man, Imagine Yamato ends up not joining after all this...

It also just occured to me that Kaido has been made conscious of Yamato's intention, so that he later can express to Luffy that he's not allowing it, while Luffy simply responds; Yes I will take Yamato with me!!

It also just occured to me that Kaido has been made conscious of Yamato's intention, so that he later can express to Luffy that he's not allowing it, while Luffy simply responds; Yes I will take Yamato with me!!
    Oh I've actually been picturing this scene for months.

Though in my version, it was Kaido mocking Yamato and telling him "and where would you even go to if you aren't staying with me?" and then Luffy announces it, so I guess that version can't be done now.

The assumption I'm making are that ether there will be quite a few volumes after the non-yonko battles conclude (so the strawhats will spend time doing something else, like teaming up against Big Mom/Kaido or an invading third party), or the current battles will actually be lost.

Something is off. Some parts of the current plot feel like they are too green, while others feel like they are close to end of arc conclusion. I don't think the last thing the strawhats do is their current fights with the flying 6.
    Yeah, most Gladiators were busy with the Bird Cage after their fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    She's also got an army of beast pirates to keep in line now.
    Speaking of the army of beast pirates, I'm sure they might stay on Wano after this, but not sure how the citizens and samurai would feel about that. Though it screams cover story.

This sounds epic! I hope something like this happens!

Quote Originally Posted by Blowfish View Post
    To disregard the focus Apprentice has received in this arc alone let alone the entire series is mind boggling to me, you just have to ask yourself if Luffy and crew had an Apprentice it would probably look more like Yamato, imprisoned monster child of a Yonko than a Kid Shanks and Buggy. It's akin to having a former Warlord Fishman Captain as the Helmsmen.
    The apprentice role only exists in flashbacks and it's generally to link current characters to past ones.

The apprentice role only exists in flashbacks and it's generally to link current characters to past ones.
    Oh yeah, well the Lookout doesn't even exist in the present, never seemed to be an issue for you.

Closed Thread

Thread Information