View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
368. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

189 51.36%
  • Shinobu

1 0.27%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc)

1 0.27%
  • Momo

9 2.45%
  • Tama

9 2.45%
  • Carrot

68 18.48%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 1.90%
  • Caribou

6 1.63%
  • Other

28 7.61%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

50 13.59%
Closed Thread
Page 346 of 506 FirstFirst ... 246 296 336 344 345 346 347 348 356 396 446 ... LastLast
Results 6,901 to 6,920 of 10112

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Monet's heart was pierced.

So assuming Yamato does end up becoming the final Straw Hat, this poses some questions about their role in the group.

What kind of job would they would have as a Straw Hat? All ten of them have some specified role on the ship, even Jinbei joining as late as he has, has now taken on the role of helmsman. What would Yamato bring to the table?

While having a pretty unique weapon compared to the other main characters and being the offspring of an emperor is pretty significant; it would seem weird if Yamato didn't have, or not obtain, some kind of devil fruit to make their battle abilities stand out from the rest of the Straw Hats. What fruit power do you think would suit them?

She can be a combatant like Zoro \_(ツ)_/

Yamato could write the logbook like Oden did.

If Ace's spirit appears during the Fire Festival in front of Luffy and Yamato (and Tama), my heart will melt.

To be able to see his younger brother defeat a Yonko and make steps toward the "summit" of the Pirate World encroaching toward a destination targeted from the moment Ace and Sabo heard their younger brother's dream. Ace's deserves such an opportunity. Not to mention with Ace's spirit appearing, it would give him a moment with Tama where he can see the promise he made fulfilled. And it would also allow Ace to see Yamato FINALLY liberate himself from the shackles of his fears constricting his heart.

Luffy, Yamato and Tama's feelings toward Ace will connect and have a hand in bringing Ace to Wano Kuni if he does appear during the conclusion of this arc. Ace's spirit may even have a hand in Kaido's defeat.

Yeah. Just gonna post my opinion on Monet and say I figure she's alive too. She's not a character I care about particularly, but I'd be surprised about her being dead even under regular circumstances, but it's very obvious when Oda purposely draws a panel or whatever in a way to give himself an out. It was much more obvious in Zeus's case, but it's the same concept. That said, I don't really get the idea that this is something people can't let go of as if it's something that occupies the mind instead of just being an opinion when the subject comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Syphin View Post
    If Ace's spirit appears during the Fire Festival in front of Luffy and Yamato (and Tama), my heart will melt.

To be able to see his younger brother defeat a Yonko and make steps toward the "summit" of the Pirate World encroaching toward a destination targeted from the moment Ace and Sabo heard their younger brother's dream. Ace's deserves such an opportunity. Not to mention with Ace's spirit appearing, it would give him a moment with Tama where he can see the promise he made fulfilled. And it would also allow Ace to see Yamato FINALLY liberate himself from the shackles of his fears constricting his heart.

Luffy, Yamato and Tama's feelings toward Ace will connect and have a hand in bringing Ace to Wano Kuni if he does appear during the conclusion of this arc. Ace's spirit may even have a hand in Kaido's defeat.
    I don't think Oda will have dead peoples' spirit physically appear to people. It's clearly a trope the anime loves between Bellmere and Ace, but it's not something Oda's ever done. The emotional scene there will probably come from visiting Ace's grave.

Fair point. It would be cool to have Ace meet his loved ones again though.

Regarding Monet, I'm not trying to convince anyone else to believe what I do, I was merely stating my opinion when I made a response to a post. It's okay to have an opinion that is different. I try not to engage in excessive discussion on this topic because I am biased and I am a fan of Monet's character. I have already expressed how I view Oda's handling of death in this post. More than an important present time named character seeming to be killed when real world logic applies, I look at whether Oda has set up a character to die or not i.e. if there is another character ready to inherit the will of the deceased present time named character.

One final thing I need to mention as it has been confusing me. But explosions were never shown to occur in the section of the facility Monet collapsed in during the climax of the Punk Hazard Arc. Out of all the places in the facility Oda could have positioned Monet to collapse in, he chose the safest place within the research lab at that time (if you don't push the button) which hadn't been breached by the Shinokuni gas and damaged like the rest of the facility. Even though debris was falling around Monet, the last update we had by Oda in the manga was of structure C being fine. Unless, I am missing something.
    Spoiler:
    2 pages before Caesar attacked the block containing the heart:

Anyway back on topic, I wonder when that Octopus is going to show up again - that's another character I am obsessed with. Will it end up saving Momonosuke and Shinobu?

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Week 3 Yamato's face looked too much like Nami's, legit criticism.

Week 43, not so much.

They're easy to tell apart now, Oda's subtly tweaked the design a lot so even the extreme closeups are different now.

And anything that's a medium shot or further there's no confusion at all cause then you see the horns and hairstyle and clothes and height.
    Yamato still looks like Nami more so than any character ever has. Don't ask me to articulate it; she just does

Quote Originally Posted by DynoStretch View Post
    So assuming Yamato does end up becoming the final Straw Hat, this poses some questions about their role in the group.

What kind of job would they would have as a Straw Hat? All ten of them have some specified role on the ship, even Jinbei joining as late as he has, has now taken on the role of helmsman. What would Yamato bring to the table?
    If Yamato can carve Poneglyphs then this is a done deal.

http://forums.arlongpark.net/showthr...56#post4122056

I do hope that the stonemason part is not going to just be ignored like the Fishman Karate dojo was. Oden was the last person we know of with the knowledge, if he hasn't left it in his journal it should be lost forever which seems unlikely and uninteresting to me.

I for one have some issues with the stonemason idea.

Sure this is One Piece so my first gripe with it can easily be handwaved or have it simply work differently than real world but I just can't fathom how someone could learn to be a stonemason from a book. It's the kind of profession that IMHO can't be learned without actually practising it and if Yams has been practising it you get another set of questions about how where etc.

But secondly and more importantly I don't see the point of leaving any additional messages on poneglyphs. I might be completely wrong here but I think after we reach Laugh Tale the secrets of the world will get out in the open by whatever means. And if world learns what happened during Void century and/ or the will od D there simply isn't any point in leaving additional messages. And what would they even say? I can't picture Luffy caring enough to leave some message.

Also if they absolutely need to leave their own message they can always pull Roger and leave it next to poneglyph on some other material. ( like it was on the gold in Skypea )

Week 3 Yamato's face looked too much like Nami's, legit criticism.

Week 43, not so much.

They're easy to tell apart now, Oda's subtly tweaked the design a lot so even the extreme closeups are different now.

And anything that's a medium shot or further there's no confusion at all cause then you see the horns and hairstyle and clothes and height.

Quote Originally Posted by Dany View Post
    Yamato still looks like Nami more so than any character ever has. Don't ask me to articulate it; she just does

Honestly Yamato’s face doesn’t really look that different to me since Chapter 984. And I don’t think it’s legit criticism if you ask me, because I think it only really becomes detrimental to the reading experience when the entire design becomes too similar to other designs, like with the designs between characters in Claymore. If Oda is to be condemned as a bad artist for making female faces too similar, then I can only imagine how much criticism Yagi got for his designs as a whole.

Last edited by electricmastro; June 11th, 2021 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by statu variabilis View Post
    I for one have some issues with the stonemason idea.

Sure this is One Piece so my first gripe with it can easily be handwaved or have it simply work differently than real world but I just can't fathom how someone could learn to be a stonemason from a book. It's the kind of profession that IMHO can't be learned without actually practising it and if Yams has been practising it you get another set of questions about how where etc.
    The idea is that the hard labor in the seastone quarries of Wano is what enables someone to forge not only the seastone everyone is after, but also poneglyphs (seastone being harder than diamond, poneglyphs being nearly indestructible). Oden learned how to do it at age 9 because he was forced to work in those quarries as punishment, and the same could very likely apply to Yamato.
    Not talking about Udon here, but the quarries where they get the seastone from (to craft stuff no one else can, like seastone nails).

So it wouldn't be like Yams was specifically taught to carve glyphs or that he is a secret master stonemason or something. Just that he earned the ability to carve material very few people can. So his "job" would be the chronicler, writing his own log like his idol Oden - while carving the Straw Hat's message would be his big moment at Laugh Tale.

But secondly and more importantly I don't see the point of leaving any additional messages on poneglyphs. I might be completely wrong here but I think after we reach Laugh Tale the secrets of the world will get out in the open by whatever means. And if world learns what happened during Void century and/ or the will od D there simply isn't any point in leaving additional messages. And what would they even say? I can't picture Luffy caring enough to leave some message.
    Maybe it's a cultural thing, but I thought the idea to leave something behind at the destination of a long journey is quite common? Not talking about people leaving their garbage at Mount Everest or what, just the usual "I was here!" messages.

At least to me it's unthinkable that the crew won't leave their own message behind. Not something of great significance for the world, just a "we were here, we made it!" type of message.

And I go even one step further, Oda will use that moment as a payback to Kishimoto, who honored One Piece in the final chapter of Naruto. I don't know how the reference will look like, but there will be a reference.

Spoiler:

(I know Oda already made a hommage chapter cover shortly after Naruto finished, but I'm talking about something as significant as above. Not super on the nose, but readers of Shonen jump will get it).
    Last edited by Jabra; June 12th, 2021 at 03:40 AM.

Discovered Stowaway Galleon Panthera's Avatar

That sounds like a story hook to me.

(And DID they get to Impel Down? Is that 100% confirmed? Jack attacked the ships that were transporting Dofla as I recall.)
    Yes, they are in Impel Down, at least Donflamingo is. Chapter 906 confirms this. And as such, while Jack attacked the transport prison ships, he still failed his attempt to rescue Donflamingo, I mean, jeezz it had a former Fleet Admiral and a admiral on board in the form of Sengoku and Fujitora/Issho. And the next time you see Jack, he's bandaged up and angry because the newspaper falsely declared him to be dead. So in turn, that means the entire family got imprisoned as its only reasonable that they also got transported on the ships despite not being seen.

Unless they have the ability to survive in the sea seeing as a majority of them have Devil Fruit powers...
    Last edited by Galleon Panthera; June 11th, 2021 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Galleon Panthera View Post
    Yes, they are in Impel Down, at least Donflamingo is. Chapter 906 confirms this. And yes, Jack attacked the transport prison ships, and failed his attempt to rescue Donflamingo. So in turn, that means the entire family got imprisoned as its only reasonable that they also got transported on the ships despite not being seen.

Unless they have the ability to survive in the sea seeing as a majority of them have Devil Fruit powers...
    Considering how many Baroque Works officers managed to avoid/escape capture following Crocodile's defeat in Alabasta, I'd say it'd probably be best not to jump to conclusions as to the fates of the various Donquixote Family members.

We know where Doflamingo and Baby 5 ended up. Anything beyond that is supposition.

Welcome to Rokkenjima.

Discovered Stowaway Galleon Panthera's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by otakufan View Post
    Considering how many Baroque Works officers managed to avoid/escape capture following Crocodile's defeat in Alabasta, I'd say it'd probably be best not to jump to conclusions as to the fates of the various Donquixote Family members.

We know where Doflamingo and Baby 5 ended up. Anything beyond that is supposition.
    According to chapter 792, Sugar and her fellow officers were arrested by the Marines. And seeing as we are speaking of a HIGH profile crime family's main members and not their thousands of random mooks, the only place they would go, would be Impel Down. Not some random holding cell at a sheriff's place. So no, Im not jumping to conclusions.

https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/Chapter_792

And yes, I know, the wiki is a fan place site, but I know that some of the editors are members here, and Im pretty sure they wouldn't put down false information for the fun of it. With Chapter 1017 coming after the break, its exactly 225 chapters ago they were taken into custody.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    The idea is that the hard labor in the seastone quarries of Wano is what enables someone to forge not only the seastone everyone is after, but also poneglyphs (seastone being harder than diamond, poneglyphs being nearly indestructible). Oden learned how to do it at age 9 because he was forced to work in those quarries as punishment, and the same could very likely apply to Yamato.
    Not talking about Udon here, but the quarries where they get the seastone from (to craft stuff no one else can, like seastone nails).

So it wouldn't be like Yams was specifically taught to carve glyphs or that he is a secret master stonemason or something. Just that he earned the ability to carve material very few people can. So his "job" would be the chronicler, writing his own log like his idol Oden - while carving the Straw Hat's message would be his big moment at Laugh Tale.

Maybe it's a cultural thing, but I thought the idea to leave something behind at the destination of a long journey is quite common? Not talking about people leaving their garbage at Mount Everest or what, just the usual "I was here!" messages.

At least to me it's unthinkable that the crew won't leave their own message behind. Not something of great significance for the world, just a "we we're here, we made it!" type of message.
    Huh, I guess I just never thought of it that way, I like that as an explanation as to why they can carve poneglyphs, tho I just always assumed it was a matter of skill / technique purely.

I might be completely wrong here and even if I'm not, this might just be a moot point, but I think Yams spent almost all his time, if not all, on Onigashima cuz of those cuffs? If I understood what you meant correctly? Anyways I think this really just me nitpicking and not really worth discussing much.

As for leaving message, it might be a cultural thing but it's not really a foreign (or strange?) idea to me. I like it and do think it could be a great moment in the series but I guess it just never occurred to me as necessary. Also this is prob a stupid thing to say after you offered leaving message on poneglyph as an option but if they leave something behind it wouldn't need to be a message on the poneglyph.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post

At least to me it's unthinkable that the crew won't leave their own message behind. Not something of great significance for the world, just a "we we're here, we made it!" type of message.

And I go even one step further, Oda will use that moment as a payback to Kishimoto, who honored One Piece in the final chapter of Naruto. I don't know how the referene will look like, but there will be a reference.

(I know Oda already made a hommage chapter cover shortly after Naruto finished, but I'm talking about something as significant as above. Not super on the nose, but readers of Shonen jump will get it).
    Probably will be a hidden leaf image on Laughtale or even mention of someone else who has been to the island innthe past with a name connected to Kishi or Naruto.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by DynoStretch View Post

While having a pretty unique weapon compared to the other main characters and being the offspring of an emperor is pretty significant; it would seem weird if Yamato didn't have, or not obtain, some kind of devil fruit to make their battle abilities stand out from the rest of the Straw Hats. What fruit power do you think would suit them?
    Bodyguard is an interesting suggestion, in light of Luffy and Zoro having gone incapacitated and Yamato attacking Ulti for Luffy and defending Momo and Shinobu against Sasaki.

Quote Originally Posted by statu variabilis View Post
    Huh, I guess I just never thought of it that way, I like that as an explanation as to why they can carve poneglyphs, tho I just always assumed it was a matter of skill / technique purely.

I might be completely wrong here and even if I'm not, this might just be a moot point, but I think Yams spent almost all his time, if not all, on Onigashima cuz of those cuffs? If I understood what you meant correctly? Anyways I think this really just me nitpicking and not really worth discussing much.
    No this isn't you nitpicking, the theory is absolutely paper-thin and based on unresolved plot points:

What did the Government want from Orochi?

Was it Seastone?

Does it have anything to do with Wanoese craftsmenship, since Law commented on that delicate seastone nail?

Is the skill to forge seastone connected to carving other super hard materials, like Poneglyphs?

How exactly was Yamato's life in Wano? He was groomed to be incredibly powerful, beaten up numerous times and supplied with a yet to be revealed Devil Fruit. Throwing him into the seastone quarries at one point wouldn't be surprising. I'm not sure, but I do believe Yamato could move within Wano, not just Onigashima (he attended the Oden execution in the capital after all). Kaido limiting his freedom further during adulthood is also possible.
    _______

So yeah, there is no solid foundation for Yamato being able to carve stones, but I don't think it's a completely baseless assumption. *If* Oda wants an Oden-like figure around, that is.

As for leaving message, it might be a cultural thing but it's not really a foreign (or strange?) idea to me. I like it and do think it could be a great moment in the series but I guess it just never occurred to me as necessary. Also this is prob a stupid thing to say after you offered leaving message on poneglyph as an option but if they leave something behind it wouldn't need to be a message on the poneglyph.
    It's absolutely not necessary for the crew, they won't be asking Yamato to be their Chronicler or the dude who may or not may carve some maybe existing stone at the maybe existing Laugh Tale.

But I believe we have to look at it from the author's perspective, an author who has to write the final station of a 30+ year long journey. It can't be just good, it has to be as perfect and as memorable as possible. Everyone present needs to be relevant in some way. And if Yamato were to join the crew, then the message-carver job would be his personal climax in all of this, his dream fulfilled.

Closed Thread

Thread Information