View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
368. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

189 51.36%
  • Shinobu

1 0.27%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc)

1 0.27%
  • Momo

9 2.45%
  • Tama

9 2.45%
  • Carrot

68 18.48%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 1.90%
  • Caribou

6 1.63%
  • Other

28 7.61%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

50 13.59%
Closed Thread
Page 340 of 506 FirstFirst ... 240 290 330 338 339 340 341 342 350 390 440 ... LastLast
Results 6,781 to 6,800 of 10112

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Honestly, sometimes I think nothing short of a shot immediately following the blast showing a smoking crater filled with scattered, yet easily identifiable Pedro-chunks would be enough to convince some people...

Welcome to Rokkenjima.

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    Hiriluk got blown up. He can’t fly away and neither could Pedro.
    Flashback rules. Totally different beast.

A part of me would love if Yamato and Carrot both joined, but also I feel like it would be waaay too bloated. I think Yamato is going to get a flashback and a mentor soon, but I don't know what would convince me that Yamato isn't Law 2.0 instead of a new crewmate.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

Quote Originally Posted by otakufan View Post
    Honestly, sometimes I think nothing short of a shot immediately following the blast showing a smoking crater filled with scattered, yet easily identifiable Pedro-chunks would be enough to convince some people...
    Perospero lost an arm from the blast. People thinking Pedro will just come waltzing back with his already shortened lifespan and no scratches to be found are something else. I said from the moment that it happened that he wasn't coming back. He gave his farewell speech and passed on his beliefs to someone else. That's how Oda handles death. He served his purpose and helped get the SHs to where they are today. Neko is going to try to avenge him now and everyone else in the manga has accepted his death. Only readers haven't, which is crazy to me.

I imagine it will get settled for pretty much everyone once we get back to Pekoms.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    I imagine it will get settled for pretty much everyone once we get back to Pekoms.
    Pekomamushi would be a great Straw Hat. It's hard to imagine him as THE eyepatch guy that's been built up, but it would make more sense that Oda would hold out that long if he's going to be a crewmate.

edit: I just looked up where Oda talked about a character with an eyepatch. He said they'd show up at the end of the story, so i don't think it's going to be Pekoms unless he changed his mind.
    Last edited by andre; June 7th, 2021 at 10:19 AM.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    With Carrot, it was Luffy freeing her from under Katakuri's boot, snapping her out of the rage caused by his callous remarks. She was going to kill herself against him, and Luffy instead called on her and his crew to hold down the fort while he took care of him.
    Well I didn’t really feel a sense of entrapment between Carrot and Katakuri, for as brief and broad the confrontation was, and that Carrot may have a less broad and more personal connection with Perospero, but yeah, I suppose this could still strengthen Carrot’s relationship with Luffy as a potential recruit regardless.

Default Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    A part of me would love if Yamato and Carrot both joined, but also I feel like it would be waaay too bloated. I think Yamato is going to get a flashback and a mentor soon, but I don't know what would convince me that Yamato isn't Law 2.0 instead of a new crewmate.
    I was expecting people to go down that route, that even if Yamato gets a tragic past and a lost mentor they will argue that Law got the same and didn’t join, and it’s a completely valid comparison. But it begs the question why Oda is introducing a character to be elevated to Law’s level within record time.
    Yamato is nowhere near necessary to the plot, Wano and Onigashima specifically as a story arc would’ve been completely fine without throwing Yamato into the mix. Why is Oda going out of his way to include him and give him all that focus and development? Where else is Yamato going to go once Wano has ended when he’s already been shown to “itch” for his own desires and not stay as Momo’s protector, with the latter giving his blessing for Yamato to follow his own path? And if we concede that Yamato will leave with the Straw Hats but maybe not as a full crew member, why is there this distinction? Will they part ways at some point before Laugh Tale just like they’ll probably do with Law after Wano and just like how Vivi stayed behind? What could there possibly be for Yamato to stay on a different island when that’s all he’s done for all his life which made him miserable, or go on his own journey after all?

Thinking about Yamato’s sudden appearance and importance to the ongoing conflict, and especially his similarity to Carrot in wanting to go out to sea to have adventures and trying to bring the Dawn, I think Oda could’ve easily given all those story beats to Carrot instead. She could have scoured the ruins of Oden’s castle and run across the journal, giving her something to do in those weeks of preparation instead of just fading into the background. It could have reignited her lust for adventure to read about all those different islands, reinforced the idea of the Dawn and how the Straw Hats are important figures for it, it would’ve tied back beautifully to the close relation between the Minks and the Kozuki clan, have her be the one to protect Momo on Onigashima and bond with him, making them the new representatives of their alliance in the current generation.
    Oda had all the ideas ready to be used but instead of giving them to a character who needs more development before becoming a full-time main character he chose to introduce a completely new one.
    Last edited by Coookie; June 7th, 2021 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coookie View Post
    I was expecting people to go down that route, that even if Yamato gets a tragic past and a lost mentor they will argue that Law got the same and didn’t join, and it’s a completely valid comparison. But it begs the question why Oda is introducing a character to be elevated to Law’s level within record time.
    On top of your other points, I think this is ultimately where the comparison would fall apart.

Law has that psuedo-main character status, the developed backstory and the mentor/parent figure and everything, but that all came around 3-4 years after the character was introduced. Oda created Law, then made the decision to expand Law’s role in the story in response to his popularity among readers as the most popular of the Supernova.

The important difference with Yamato is that, like you said, this is all very upfront. It’s been clear from when Oda introduced Yamato that he came into this with a very fleshed out idea of who this character is, what his personality is like, what his backstory is. From the moment Yamato got introduced a year ago he’s been a major focus of the story, continues to get focus, set up in the short term for further character development, and has been set up as a very important character in the long term. Yamato is a character that Oda has put a lot of intentionality and thought into from a character writing perspective.

I’m all in on Yams at this point. I’ve been in the camp of wanting him from Day 1, but I’m pretty confident now that he’s the final member. He’s a very unique character design (and like Robby’s said, especially in color). I think any “Nami-face” towards his introduction can be explained by Oda making the decision to make him AFAB relatively late, after being influenced by Rose of Versailles, falling into a bad habit of his as an artist, and then course corrected soon after to fix the problem. As a character, he’s a very developed concept and personality, his queerness is obviously something that sets him apart both visually and narratively, his connection to Ace, being Kaido’s son, knowing Luffy’s dream, the desire to go out to sea, the request to travel on the Sunny. But I think even more than that, Yamato’s narratives aligns with some of the most fundamental of the series’ themes (“breaking chains”, liberation, freedom, self-determination and self-identification), that puts all of the above into focus. This is a character Oda put a big sign on and said “hey, he’s really important” and is now using him as a mouthpiece for some important thematic content. To what end other than main character status?

We’ll see what the Kaido fight and flashback bring.
    Last edited by JDub; June 7th, 2021 at 01:50 PM.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

You know it is a shame given the uniqueness of the race that Oda didn't give us one badass mink, samurai/ninja or otherwise.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by JDub View Post
    I’m all in on Yams at this point. I’ve been in the camp of wanting him from Day 1, but I’m pretty confident now that he’s the final member. He’s a very unique character design (and like Robby’s said, especially in color). I think any “Nami-face” towards his introduction can be explained by Oda making the decision to make him AFAB relatively late, after being influenced by Rose of Versailles, falling into a bad habit of his as an artist, and then course corrected soon after to fix the problem. As a character, he’s a very developed concept and personality, his queerness is obviously something that sets him apart both visually and narratively, his connection to Ace, being Kaido’s son, knowing Luffy’s dream, the desire to go out to sea, the request to travel on the Sunny. But I think even more than that, Yamato’s narratives aligns with some of the most fundamental of the series’ themes (“breaking chains”, liberation, freedom, self-determination and self-identification), that puts all of the above into focus. This is a character Oda put a big sign on and said “hey, he’s really important” and is now using him as a mouthpiece for some important thematic content. To what end other than main character status?

We’ll see what the Kaido fight and flashback bring.
    Honest question for people because I'm generally curious. Does anyone think that Oda would change the gender of a future SH after reading a book a year ago?

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    Honest question for people because I'm generally curious. Does anyone think that Oda would change the gender of a future SH after reading a book a year ago?
    I mean he made an honorary strawhat a princess entirely on a whim.

Dude seemingly does a lot of things based on what amuses him at any give time

If he's inspired enough by the idea, for sure yes. Changing a character's gender wouldn't change much of what he would already have written, and the dynamic of Yamato being a man and AFAB creates a new direction to take the character in addition to what he would have already had. It adds a new dynamic to the character that would not have existed if he were cis. Greg's already implied that the final member of the crew is an idea that Oda's come up with and developed over the series' run. and Oda's the kind of artist who wears his inspiration on his sleeve, I think if he found a personally captivating idea in another piece of media (i.e. Oscar in RoV), he'd find a way to fit it into his own story.

I'm not betting on it, but, while I call Yamato "he" because the story says so, I feel it's possible that in the end Yamato will just understand that he does not need to be Oden and assume his natural gender. A very tomboysh girl, but a girl.

Because of his design, I think Oda would have made him more masculine if he wanted to hammer home the idea that Yamato is transgender. Kiku is transgender and looks like a girl. The okamas all have girlish features even in masculine bodies. I look at Yamato and can't see anything manly about him.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Just looking at how far back some of Oda's design were at the start of the series, he clearly had an idea for all of them. Their designs may have changed, but their genders were set in stone (at least from the designs that he's shared so far). It just seems like gender is one of those things that he sets in stone first before iterating on the design.

I don't know what goes through the mind of the mangaka to the most successful manga but what is undeniable is that Yamato has been handled as a main character within the Wano Kuni Arc (since his introduction) alongside the Straw Hat Pirates. And on top of that Yamato has been connected to the central story threads of One Piece. That by itself leaves open the possibility that Oda has bigger plans for Yamato that could include becoming a Straw Hat Pirate.

A character like Yamato isn't going to be forgotten when the Wano Kuni Arc ends.

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    Perospero lost an arm from the blast..
    Perospero is a weakling.

Shuten Maru took a similar blast and he's fine, didn't even lost his haircut.

Quote Originally Posted by JDub View Post
    If he's inspired enough by the idea, for sure yes. Changing a character's gender wouldn't change much of what he would already have written, and the dynamic of Yamato being a man and AFAB creates a new direction to take the character in addition to what he would have already had. It adds a new dynamic to the character that would not have existed if he were cis. Greg's already implied that the final member of the crew is an idea that Oda's come up with and developed over the series' run. and Oda's the kind of artist who wears his inspiration on his sleeve, I think if he found a personally captivating idea in another piece of media (i.e. Oscar in RoV), he'd find a way to fit it into his own story.
    Agree. For all we know Yamato might have been a tomboyish person with a female body from the start and Oda decided to add that surprise twist from Rose of Versailles on top of it so that his readers can have that same surprise effect he experienced.
    I guess this also goes back to the whole pronoun debate but some people are really weirdly hung up on gender.

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    I'm not betting on it, but, while I call Yamato "he" because the story says so, I feel it's possible that in the end Yamato will just understand that he does not need to be Oden and assume his natural gender. A very tomboysh girl, but a girl.

Because of his design, I think Oda would have made him more masculine if he wanted to hammer home the idea that Yamato is transgender. Kiku is transgender and looks like a girl. The okamas all have girlish features even in masculine bodies. I look at Yamato and can't see anything manly about him.
    I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up being the result, but the impression I get from Yamato is less that he would want an outright sex change if he met Ivankov and more that he wants to live like a man as Oda generally defines it in the One Piece world. It's more distinct in Wano, but even in the larger One Piece world, there's a clearly expected way of how one is supposed to act if they're a man or woman in Oda's writing. Yamato saw Oden, read about his life story, and essentially went 'This is who I want to be'. I also don't think it's a coincidence it's Oden who arguably more than any other character represents the manly man masculine archetypes to an extreme.

Discovered Stowaway astagadragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    Perospero is a weakling.

Shuten Maru took a similar blast and he's fine, didn't even lost his haircut.
    Peros is a branch, but Shutenmaru have all the bulk to survive bombs XD

Explosion power in OP is kinda random tho, we have a city-leveling bomb in Alabasta that can only scar Pell's chest, but on the other hand Pedro's bomb doesn't even left body parts behind...

OT I can imagine Kaido will fight Yamato without mercy, although she won't go down that easily. Stalling Kaido for 2-3 hours (with flashback in between), maybe some other crew will help (Jinbe & Franky vs Kaido, anyone?) until Luffy comes back while riding Momo.

There is no way it get off-screened, the fight is too important for their overall characterization.
    "The rain has ceased, and we have been graced by another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it." - Elidibus

Closed Thread

Thread Information