View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
242. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

101 41.74%
  • Shinobu

1 0.41%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc.)

1 0.41%
  • Momo

8 3.31%
  • Tama

7 2.89%
  • Carrot

53 21.90%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 2.89%
  • Caribou

3 1.24%
  • Other

22 9.09%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

39 16.12%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 134 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    I'm pretty sure Croc will return in next saga. His story seems linked to the Revolutionaries somehow. I don't expect him to be a big villain, more like a grey presence in the story. He may even be the character that teaches Luffy and Chopper about awakening DFs, acting as some sort of evil mentor. But joining? I doubt it, thought wouldn't mind him as some sort of ally.

I think Vegapunk will become an ally of the revolutionaries. As for Kuma... Well, that one we need to wait and see Bonnie's story.
    Next arc/saga will probs see, Vegapunk, Kuma and Bonney's stories, they have some of the better chances of the characters on the lists to join (although I still think it will more likely be some new character we've yet to see)

and I tots agree that Croc will be more of a grey ally, who your not sure if he'll betray you or not, but need to work with because of certain circumstances

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post

Croco-boy is still one of the very few villains that Luffy a) remembers clearly and b) actively hates so udner what circumstances would this work?
    It would never happen in a million years, that's why I put it in a different list from what will happen, I love the character and I love alliances where you can't completely trust someone on your side, Like Vegeta in Dragonball, Hiei from Yu Yu Hakusho or Jayne Cobb from Firefly (non manga one) but I doubt Oda would ever actually do it, it's just a nice little day dream

I think it depends on the person with the powers. We have seen some people use powers more creatively than others, and someone like Shilliew will likely show off maneuvers that Absalom would never have achieved.

Yamato - Oni Nami lol
    Shinobu - who on earth is suggesting her
    Red Scabbard - no reason for any of them to join
    Momo - his place is in Wano obviously
    Tama - a little inexperienced girl isn't going to join
    Carrot - keep it to your fap folder
    Supernova - no, they're their own thing
    Caribou - I don't expect it but I'd love it
    Other - Vivi is obviously the only character with a genuine shot and you all know this
    None - it's either Vivi, someone who shows up in the next arc, or no one

I voted other since once the last character does join, they'll prolly comment on it ie "My crew's complete! This crew is pretty full huh!". Or at the very least, Jinbe being last will feel anticlimatic until the post-Wano party.
    Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

it would be funny if Diez Drake joined, it would be like Oda has been announcing he'd be the tenth Straw Hat from the start lol

and he definitely has a sad backstory

and despite meeting some straw hats he's really yet to interact with them, he wouldn't look at Nami and Robin and Sanji was always disguised as Soba mask, meaning he could be sort of like Franky who fought Usopp but had the mask on the whole time and then unmasked when he saw Luffy

Only way Caribou joins is if he threatens to reveal Posidon's secret if they don't let him join, and at least they'd have a logia but yeah no way Oda is gonna have a guy who was a homicidal maniac who "killed people" and abandoned his crew join, even if he's reformed

I think we'll have to wait to see more of VegaPunk, Bonney and Kuma whenever there arc comes up

EDIT: I don't think Yamato will join but I wouldn't mind it

There's always a big chance Vivi will rejoin the crew

still got my money on character we've yet to meet
    Last edited by Shiebs; July 5th, 2020 at 06:40 PM.

The Mad Moiselle BellisarioFaith's Avatar

I wonder who the people who vote "Other" or "a Supernova/a Red Scabbard" expect to join.

I've hinted mine. What about others' bets?
    Well, my "other" is partially "none of the above", in that, while I do think we're gonna get one more (hence not voting for "Jimbei's the last one"), I'm seriously doubtful that it'll be any of the available choices on the poll based on everything we've seen so far. None of them feel right, certainly not the way Jimbei did. I could be quite wrong about that, and I'm sure part of that is my own bias because, by the time I started reading the series, Fishman Island was already complete and Jimbei had promised to join eventually, so him being official at some point has been a given to me for the whole time I've been reading weekly. But that doesn't change the fact that none of them have made the same impression and given the same vibes he did.

The one possible exception there is Yamato, whom we've just met and hasn't had the chance to leave much of any impression at all, but I'm not bandwagoning on him at this point. I suppose I could have waited a few months before casting my vote to see if he becomes more convincing and appealing as a possible Straw Hat, or if the hype for him dies out completely. Maybe after he's been around longer, I'll end up wishing I'd voted for him and feel much more optimistic about his chances. B
    ut eh. I'm friggen lazy and wanted to get my vote-explaining post out of the way before things start devolving in here, and Yamato, though he leaves me with a stronger first impression than several of the other options, seems perfectly viable as just an arc ally as well. I would rather just place my bets now and admit I was wrong later.

For whom I think it will be? No idea. Could even be a new character. Whom I'd like it to be? Vivi, who has far better chemistry with the Straw Hats--and I mean all of them (minus the three she never got the chance to meet), not just one or two--than any of the other choices. Hell, just the possible interactions between Vivi and Robin (whom she knew as an enemy) alone sound more interesting than everything we've gotten from some of these other choices combined. And for those who believe "Vivi already is a Straw Hat",
    yes, I believe that too, and still do consider her to be at least an honorary Straw Hat member regardless. But I'd literally prefer her coming back and sailing on the Sunny with them as a full-time member than any of the other choices joining. If one of them does, I won't love it, but it'll be whatever. If Vivi comes back, I will love it.
    Hidden:

i voted for Kin'emon. i do not think the san-ni-go theory is a accident like some people do
    PSN: The_BlueOGRE
    Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/blueogre

I think you guys are missing out on the real deciding factor. What role would another crewmate serve is the most important question.

It took Oda how many years to finally figure out that Jinbei would be the official helmsman before he actually let him join the crew?

Luffy - Captain
    Zoro - Muscle/Enforcer
    Nami - Navigator/Meteorologist
    Usopp - Gunner/Lookout
    Sanji - Cook
    Chopper - Doctor
    Robin - Archaelogist/Historian
    Franky - Shipwright
    Brook - Musician
    Jinbei - Helmsman

Decide what role is actually needed and then who can fill it.

Quote Originally Posted by BellisarioFaith View Post
    For whom I think it will be? No idea. Could even be a new character. Whom I'd like it to be? Vivi, who has far better chemistry with the Straw Hats--and I mean all of them (minus the three she never got the chance to meet), not just one or two--than any of the other choices. Hell, just the possible interactions between Vivi and Robin (whom she knew as an enemy) alone sound more interesting than everything we've gotten from some of these other choices combined. And for those who believe "Vivi already is a Straw Hat", yes, I believe that too, and still do consider her to be at least an honorary Straw Hat member regardless. But I'd literally prefer her coming back and sailing on the Sunny with them as a full-time member than any of the other choices joining. If one of them does, I won't love it, but it'll be whatever. If Vivi comes back, I will love it.
    I'm sure Vivi will return and travel with the Straw Hats again. I wouldn't be surprised if she goes all the way to Laugh Tale. But I don't think she will be "the last crewmate".

I'm very excited for the possibilities of next saga. Not only Vivi will return, but there's even a chance of seeing her interacting with Crocodile of all people.

Also, the One Piece world will have changed a lot. Two Yonko out of the picture, Blackbeard and Shanks battling, no Shichibukai anymore, possible return of several classic characters (Vivi, Croc, Pell, Buggy, Mr. 3). It will be a very exciting new New World to explore.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Zeorn View Post
    I think you guys are missing out on the real deciding factor. What role would another crewmate serve is the most important question.

It took Oda how many years to finally figure out that Jinbei would be the official helmsman before he actually let him join the crew?

Luffy - Captain
    Zoro - Muscle/Enforcer
    Nami - Navigator/Meteorologist
    Usopp - Gunner/Lookout
    Sanji - Cook
    Chopper - Doctor
    Robin - Archaelogist/Historian
    Franky - Shipwright
    Brook - Musician
    Jinbei - Helmsman

Decide what role is actually needed and then who can fill it.
    I'm expecting Quartermaster as the last role.

For those who don't know, quartermaster is the one responsible for keeping the ship in order.

I think Jinbe will notice how chaotic are the things in the ship and, as a former captain and second mate, comment that they need one, BTW.
    No, I'm not back. I never left. It's just that it has been a long time since I had something to say.

I'm expecting Quartermaster as the last role.

For those who don't know, Quartermaster is the one responsible for keeping the ship in order.
    We've never actually seen a quartermaster in One Piece despite being one of the most important roles in a pirate ship, if not the most important. So I believe that Oda is ignoring it entirely.

Anyway, if someone is a quartermaster in Luffy's crew, it's definitely Nami.

The quartermaster is the one responsible for making a counterpoint to the captain's intentions with another point of view and respecting the will of the crew. That's Nami. She's the balance to Luffy's recklessness and sometimes her voice stands on top of his.

Not to mention that she orders everyone around... like a quartermaster.

From a story perspective, I'm still going with a lookout. No, it's not a role that Oda has emphasized in the series, but drawing Carrot/Pedro in that role a dozen times was no accident (she inherited the position from him much the same way that she will inherit his will imo). It was also no mistake that one of her first major showings involved scouting out the Whale Forest. There will be no "cabin" or apprentice characters to join as those only existed in flashbacks to tie current characters to major ones (sorry Solid). All of the other traditional roles wouldn't make any sense given the crew's current makeup.

The only one i think will join: Vivi

Like someone suggested above, the next (or next next) saga is about Revolutionary army and WG, and Vivi will play big role in this.

I think Cobra will die (or already died), this makes Vivi is now queen of Alabasta, one of the 20 original WG nation.

Now, Cobra must have some dreams, like to unite the world or just erase the corrupt WG, and Vivi will inherited this will.

I dont think Luffy and SHP will fight WG without any personal stake, and this is where Vivi can come in.

I would argue that the Quartermaster's main role is to be in charge of supplies, in this case, food supplies. Unlike real life ships that had to carry ammo/weapons and whose sole purpose was delivery of goods (stealing goods for pirates), the Straw-hats don't really have to worry about anything other than food supplies. They usually only transport people and use their powers to fight instead of engaging in cannon warfare.

Sanji is the sole cook, he knows the amount of ingredients needed to make however many meals they will need for however long a journey they think they will make. This was proven when they had not had food problems with Sanji, but when Sanji left Luffy managed to completely wipe out their food supply before they could make it to Totland. They were on the verge of starvation until Luffy caught a huge fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeorn View Post
    I would argue that the Quartermaster's main role is to be in charge of supplies, in this case, food supplies. Unlike real life ships that had to carry ammo/weapons and whose sole purpose was delivery of goods (stealing goods for pirates), the Straw-hats don't really have to worry about anything other than food supplies. They usually only transport people and use their powers to fight instead of engaging in cannon warfare.

Sanji is the sole cook, he knows the amount of ingredients needed to make however many meals they will need for however long a journey they think they will make. This was proven when they had not had food problems with Sanji, but when Sanji left Luffy managed to completely wipe out their food supply before they could make it to Totland. They were on the verge of starvation until Luffy caught a huge fish.
    The quartermaster is also the ship's "third in command", responsible for keeping things in order and micromanage the small necessities. I'd say Nami ofte takes that role while at sea, while Sanji keeps tabs on the food. I imagine a SH quartermaster being the one to keep the crew in order to do menial works and settle disputes, especially considering how absent-minded are both Luffy and Zoro. I imagine Jinbe seeing how things are (not) run by them and, wanting to help Nami but not to assume the position, commenting they need someone like that. Yes, the quartermaster would be a very bossy character sometimes.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation View Post
    We've never actually seen a quartermaster in One Piece despite being one of the most important roles in a pirate ship, if not the most important. So I believe that Oda is ignoring it entirely.

Anyway, if someone is a quartermaster in Luffy's crew, it's definitely Nami.

The quartermaster is the one responsible for making a counterpoint to the captain's intentions with another point of view and respecting the will of the crew. That's Nami. She's the balance to Luffy's recklessness and sometimes her voice stands on top of his.

Not to mention that she orders everyone around... like a quartermaster.
    Like I said above, Nami's acting as the quartermaster, yes, but also sharing it with Sanji. But she's the navigator. I imagine Jinbe, being an experienced sailor, would notice the need for a quartermaster in order to leave Nami free to worry only about navigation and map-making.
    Last edited by Deicide; July 5th, 2020 at 08:11 PM.
    No, I'm not back. I never left. It's just that it has been a long time since I had something to say.

Like I said above, Nami's acting as the quartermaster, yes, but also sharing it with Sanji. But she's the navigator. I imagine Jinbe, being an experienced sailor, noticing the need for a quartermaster in order to free Nami to worry only about navigation and map-making.
    Yes, Nami is the navigator and she's not officialy regarded as the quartermaster... and that's why I think we won't get one character specifically for that. The reasons being that Nami (with Sanji) already play the role pretty well, and Oda never mentioned a quartermaster throughout the series.

More importantly, given the symbolic nature of the role, it would be a lot more suitable narrative-wise for the quartermaster to be one of the first members recruited, like the East Blue people. It's hard to see a newcomer arriving and getting such a high position that puts him above everyone else in the hierarch of the crew, except for the captain. Even Jimbe who is famous enough worldwide to arrive with a huge reputation in the ship (like a very expensive acquisition for a sport's team) is not considered the quartermaster of the Strawhats, right? I mean, if Nami can't have two jobs, then I don't see why Jimbe would (and he's the helmsman already).

Obviously, the crew is reasonably open to everyone to speak up their thoughts, so people like Jimbe and future Nakama will be listened and they'll aid in the job... but no one can top Nami as the quintessential Strawhats' quartermaster in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation View Post
    More importantly, given the symbolic nature of the role, it would be a lot more suitable narrative-wise for the quartermaster to be one of the first members recruited, like the East Blue people. It's hard to see a newcomer arriving and getting such a high position that puts him above everyone else in the hierarch of the crew, except for the captain.
    Which is why I'm counting on a character that's new to the crew, but not to the story nor the readers, and already has experience with such a function as well as earned Luffy's trust.

Which is why I'm counting on a character that's new to the crew, but not to the story nor the readers, and already has experience with such a function as well as earned Luffy's trust.
    Personally, I'd only buy it if Big Mom joined the crew.

Btw, since no one is saying it...

#CharlotteLinlinForNakama

Smoker for quarter master
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

"ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    The paw fruit is a hack/plot fruit just like Perona's, Hancock's, Viola's, Sugar's, etc. Being able to launch your opponent to another island hundreds of miles away is an instant "I win" power that the SHs don't enjoy.
    Eh Oda can is imaginative and could write around that however he wants
    Not even Naruto resorted to time travel

Buggy for Quartermaster

I'm also of the mind that the paw fruit is too powerful for the Straw Hats.
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

"ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information