View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
306. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

148 48.37%
  • Shinobu

1 0.33%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc.)

1 0.33%
  • Momo

8 2.61%
  • Tama

8 2.61%
  • Carrot

61 19.93%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 2.29%
  • Caribou

5 1.63%
  • Other

23 7.52%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

44 14.38%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 278 of 285 FirstFirst ... 178 228 268 276 277 278 279 280 ... LastLast
Results 5,541 to 5,560 of 5685

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    It was difficult for Zoro and Luffy to get up there.
    I'm talking about Yamato.

Marco is more tired than before. Pero is on his tail. He can't hold off Queen and King
    Irrelevant

as well as toss up Yamato like he did Zoro as easily. It would be difficult.
    Who said Marco is going to toss Yamato up there?

You're just making stuff up.

Did you forget how the scabbards got to the roof top? Or Law? Or Kid? Or Killer? Or Big Mom?

What was hard about them getting there?

In the story, Yamato did those things. Took hits, It's similar to what some of the Scabbards were willing to do for Oden. Then pairing him up with Shinobu is in a couple chapters as well.

Yamato has said that a chance at beating Kaido is tied to being Oden. He said his name (Yamato) when telling Momo that he would die for him.
    This doesn't address that Yamato being a retainer is something you made up as an option. It's not anything from the story.

Momo hasn't asked for new ones yet. Yamato hasn't asked to be one.
    Last edited by Zik; April 8th, 2021 at 04:58 AM.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    I'm talking about Yamato.
    Irrelevant
    Who said Marco is going to toss Yamato up there?
    You're just making stuff up.
    Yamato would have to get pass the SMILE users, Queen and King just like Luffy and Zoro did. That took Marco. Now Marco is more tired than before and Pero is after him. Yamato would have to find a way that was more difficult than what Zoro went through.

Did you forget how the scabbards got to the roof top? Or Law? Or Kid? Or Killer? Or Big Mom?
    The Scabbards rode Kaido to the top. Yamato would need Momo to climb if he was to attemp this since he doesn't have Kaido. Hmmm, maybe Momo being priority and fighting Kaido can be done, but that would make it easier for Momo to get hurt by Kaido. Conflicting for Yamato to want to protect Momo and defeat Kaido, even tho it feels inevitable that he gets up there.

Kid, Law and Killer did make it up there. Can't tell from where tho. I think they wouldn't have if Queen and King weren't distracted. Maybe not.

This doesn't address that Yamato being a retainer is something you made up as an option. It's not anything from the story.

Yamato made his feelings clear in the story. His priority was stated in 994.

Yamato would have to get pass the SMILE users, Queen and King just like Luffy and Zoro did.
    Or go a different way that isnt hard.

You're assuming there's only one way to get to the top.

Yamato would have to find a way that was more difficult than what Zoro went through.
    No. He wouldn't.

The Scabbards rode Kaido to the top.
    Which wasn't hard.

Kid, Law and Killer did make it up there.
    That's what I said.

Don't pretend like you know what wasn't shown.
    Yamato made his feelings clear in the story. His priority was stated in 994.

Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    Or go a different way that isnt hard.

You're assuming there's only one way to get to the top.

No. He wouldn't.
    Yamato knows this place better than those who made it to the top. He has spoken on the different parts and layout. He has yet to make it there tho. His priority is Momo. He hasn't stated what exactly is stopping him from getting there.

Pero's addition makes it hard to hold off King and Queen.

Which wasn't hard.
    That's what I said.
    Don't pretend like you know what wasn't shown.

I know that Momo is getting better at transforming, but can he climb the clouds like he did in PH on command, idk. Yamato having to ride Momo is an uncertain method. The Scabbards had the real deal and Yamato doesn't.

Yamato has been sincere so far. I can't deny that he meant prioritizing Momo's safety.

Yamato knows this place better than those who made it to the top. He has spoken on the different parts and layout.
    Which exactly why it would not be hard for him.

Yet you said it would be.
    He has yet to make it there tho. His priority is Momo. He hasn't stated what exactly is stopping him from getting there.
    This has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

Pero's addition makes it hard to hold off King and Queen.
    I know that Momo is getting better at transforming, but can he climb the clouds like he did in PH on command, idk. Yamato having to ride Momo is an uncertain method. The Scabbards had the real deal and Yamato doesn't.

Yamato has been sincere so far. I can't deny that he meant prioritizing Momo's safety.

Last.fm

[QUOTE=Zik;4116090]
    Which exactly why it would not be hard for him.

Yet you said it would be.
    Queen and King aren't as busy with Marco as back then when the Supernova made it up.

Pero keeping Marco busy is crucial to keeping the 2 blocking entry to Kaido.

Yamato made it clear who was priority on multiple occasion. Through example and dope speech to end the chapter. Was going to get in the boat as well. He's been paired with Shinobu in protecting Momo. Luffy made the introduction for this arc, but Yamato had feelings where he would die for Momo since before Luffy met him.

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    It's because some people seem to think that the DF theory would help support Yamato potentially joining if he's a tiger (i.e. cat or "neko") That doesn't really fit the "Ni" or "Kyu" (2,9) from the original theory, but that doesn't seem to be stopping people. Besides, Who's Who has a neko neko fruit. I don't see Oda giving a villain and an ally the same base fruit when both of them were introduced in the same arc.
    9 can be read as "ko". From "kokonotsu".

Not particularly sure about "ne", though.

Discovered Stowaway Dorobō Neko's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    So if Yamato turns out to not be a white tiger, are people going to start doubting his NN potential (even though, again, the 2,9 theory doesn't apply to a tiger anyway)?
    I would not doubt it as much as some since I think in general any type of fruit will probably boost their power set increasing their chances.

Though White Tiger should put them in as 100% for folks who doubt that Yamato will join based off power sets. And even theme wise. I am going to use this post to push another type of theory that I think would matter a bit more than the number theory.

So Oda probably likes and watches Super Sentai, from the Vinsmokes and just the fact lots of manga artists like him grew up watching the series. I have a feeling the last crew member will fit the "6th ranger" role. A very powerful character who joins the main cast. If Jinbe is the last member he fits this really well and we can pretty much disregard Yamato along with everyone else for that matter.

The first "6th ranger" ever added was in the second SS show with the ranger Big One, a white ranger and while he was the 5th and final member of the Sentai he fits the trope of the "6th ranger" very well. The thing is 6th rangers didn't truly start showing up again up until the 16th SS show Zyuranger and took a few more shows until they became regular cast members but even in the early days of the character trope to nowadays, they have had themes that fit Yamato. Starting with color theory and character tropes, I think people won't argue against that Yamato would be the "white" themed crewmember/ranger. Now it's not a hard rule with how many SS shows there have been but there is character tropes that line up with colors as well as genders that show up a ton throughout the years. It's easier to spot them when the colors are not used much, such as in the case of white rangers, now what are white rangers usually like in Sentai that helps this theory?

With female white rangers: they tend to be pretty feminine, usually replacing the pink ranger as "the chick" of the core team if there is no pink that season but sometimes they are on the core team with a pink,
    noble blooded, graceful and pure, sometime the kid of the team, usually a motif of their design/mecha is a white swan or a white tiger.

With male white rangers: They tend to be very powerful, stronger or more special than the rest of the cast sometimes, been "6th rangers" at least 5 times (J.A.K.Q. Dairanger, Abaraanger, Dekaranger and Gekiranger) which up until the newest show was all of the male white rangers, the second male white ranger Kibaranger from Dairanger had a white tiger as his motif.

So male and female white rangers really are on different playing fields when it comes to gender roles in the color theory of the series. As we all know Yamato is an interesting case of gender dynamics and Oda could be using them to challenge them even more so with adding attributes of both character tropes of male and female white rangers to them.

Yamato is pretty childish in that lovable OP way of wanting to go out on adventures, they have noble blood via Kaido being a pirate emperor and their dad, they are very strong. If Yamato was the last crew member and 6th ranger, so to speak, all of this is not too far a reach. A White Tiger fruit would seal the deal for me on this sort of theory.

Now I think narrative beats are more important and I believe Oda does too but he clearly likes color theory so I thought this was fine to bring attention to even if it's not a main argument for Yamato.

Few other color theory points with Yamato that I want to add: white is the element color of metal, so besides their club, a fruit if it's a mythical zoan could be metal based. Yamato also has purple in their outfit which is a royal color. The aqua green from their hair has the meaning of peace, growth, and energy. Also the ocean.

I think bringing up color with Yamato is helpful in general as that's a big part where Oda put effort into them. So I am curious what colors a fruit power might bring.

Queen and King aren't as busy with Marco as back then when the Supernova made it up.
    That has nothing to do with why it wont be hard for Yamato.
    Pero keeping Marco busy is crucial to keeping the 2 blocking entry to Kaido.
    That has nothing to do with why it wont be hard for Yamato

Yamato made it clear who was priority on multiple occasion. Through example and dope speech to end the chapter. Was going to get in the boat as well. He's been paired with Shinobu in protecting Momo. Luffy made the introduction for this arc, but Yamato had feelings where he would die for Momo since before Luffy met him.

Last.fm

[QUOTE=Zik;4116103]
    That has nothing to do with why it wont be hard for Yamato.

That has nothing to do with why it wont be hard for Yamato
    Queen and King were being distracted when all the Supernova finally made it. Yamato also cares for the safety of Momo. Yamato considers that priority and hasn't said that Kaido is more important than that.

Yamato had feelings from the execution that caused him to go to Kuri. He watched Momo get dangled and was powerless. Now he feels he has the strength to make a difference for Momo's sake. He seems like he can be a retainer just as much or a lil more than a SH so far. Waiting for him to change his priority to weigh the options better.

Is it really too late in the story for Luffy to keep recruiting people? If Wano is too late, then what can be said about Jinbe who basically ended up not joining back up with Luffy and the others as a crew mate until quite a way’s way into Wano, even though he was willing to join back at Fishman Island?

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    Is it really too late in the story for Luffy to keep recruiting people?
    Nope. Not when you consider there's still 5-7 years to go in the story and even after the series ends these characters will keep getting spinoff media forever.

Luffy's level on the world scale though does make it seem like this is pretty much the last opportunity... though obviously they could always pick someone up at Elbaf or Vegapunk's lab or whatever, as long as thats sooner than later.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    Is it really too late in the story for Luffy to keep recruiting people? If Wano is too late, then what can be said about Jinbe who basically ended up not joining back up with Luffy and the others as a crew mate until quite a way’s way into Wano, even though he was willing to join back at Fishman Island?
    Depends on your view of what Luffy said about how many ppl he wants on the crew while randomly talking to himself about it.

I wish Jump never let Oda say he was trying to finish the story in the next 5 years cuz ppl sure have ran with it as an actual deadline when given how Oda works and how popular OP is this could take another 10 years to finish.

I'm banking on closer to 10 than 5 so the crew can definitely get more members than the least amoint Luffy said and there'd be enough time for any additional characters to become well acquainted with the crew and fit in.

If not, I do agree with that other part. Get Jimbe off the team asap. Bring back Vivi and lets wrap this up. Racism wasn't going to be ended anyway.

Queen and King were being distracted when all the Supernova finally made it. Yamato also cares for the safety of Momo. Yamato considers that priority and hasn't said that Kaido is more important than that.
    None of this makes it hare for Yamato given he is familiar with the place and knows of more than one way to get to the top like how Law, Kid, and Killer got there.

Also stop messing up how you quote me. You've been doing it in every reply now.

Yamato had feelings from the execution that caused him to go to Kuri. He watched Momo get dangled and was powerless. Now he feels he has the strength to make a difference for Momo's sake. He seems like he can be a retainer just as much or a lil more than a SH so far. Waiting for him to change his priority to weigh the options better.

Last edited by Zik; April 8th, 2021 at 04:13 PM.
    Last.fm

I never understood why people say Wano is the last place for a crewmate, I mean sure it’s possible we’ll get the last member here but I don’t think of it as outside the realm of possibilities that a member could join later on especially since we probably have close to a decade left

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    I never understood why people say Wano is the last place for a crewmate, I mean sure it’s possible we’ll get the last member here but I don’t think of it as outside the realm of possibilities that a member could join later on especially since we probably have close to a decade left
    It's the idea that whoever joins later will have missed 80% of the adventure, including the fall of the Yonko. Also, they'll have far less time to develop bonds with the crew (and the readers) before the story ends.

Particularly, I don't think it's impossible, but I do agree that any new character joining after Wano is at a disadvantage. Characters that have already been well established in the story could mitigate it somewhat, however.
    No, I'm not back. I never left. It's just that it has been a long time since I had something to say.

Screen time going to some late comer would be screen time taken from any of the more deserving realhats. Give me more moments with the gang instead of stuffing yet another face in before the climax.

I'd definitely like more time with only the current Straw Hats and no other tag alongs, like we haven't gotten ever since we left Punk Hazard. Jinbe got a few moments on Onigashima with Robin, Zoro and Franky but please keep them coming

I could maybe see Oda doing a time passing sort of montage. A couple of months or so. That way the crew can have a stronger bond.

As for the next arc just being just the SHs, while I would like that I doubt it. I think there may be a few tag alongs as they leave Wano and even if there's none depending on the next arc I feel like whoever they meet will lead to more tag alongs.
    Last edited by Zik; April 8th, 2021 at 06:40 PM.
    Last.fm

Straw Hats alone just like the good old days would be awesome

That being said I don’t think it will happen

Law has a reason to keep traveling with them now, Caribou was offered a ride, Kidd and Killer are Luffy’s and Zoro’s main rivals and Oda might want to give them more spotlight, Marco is super popular and might just tag along to keep fans happy, Yamato will travel with the straw hats wether he joins or not, and who knows what Oda wants to do with X Drake’s character after this arc

So yeah I’m not hopeful

[QUOTE=Zik;4116139]
    None of this makes it hare for Yamato given he is familiar with the place and knows of more than one way to get to the top like how Law, Kid, and Killer got there.
    Yet, he hasn't made it there. Just to hide Momo, he's consistently being found. the place is flooded. Queen and King don't have the same level of Marco interference. Yamato will not get there as easy.

Also stop messing up how you quote me. You've been doing it in every reply now.

Yamato has very strong retainer potential. So many of the chapters since he's separated from Momo have gave me this suspicion. Oda has yet to have him and Momo part ways. The longer it drags out, the more suspect.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information