View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
305. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

    148 48.52%
  • Shinobu

    1 0.33%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc.)

    1 0.33%
  • Momo

    8 2.62%
  • Tama

    7 2.30%
  • Carrot

    61 20.00%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

    7 2.30%
  • Caribou

    5 1.64%
  • Other

    23 7.54%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

    44 14.43%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 243 of 284 FirstFirst ... 143 193 233 241 242 243 244 245 253 ... LastLast
Results 4,841 to 4,860 of 5665

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

  1. #4841

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    Foosha Village is gonna be destroyed.

    Same for Cocoyashi, Sakura, Shimotsuki, etc
    Its only the Grand Line that would be affected to be "repaired" from its current irregular state, from those you mention only Sakura is in there, and they have those giant hills and transport to go up there as well.

  2. #4842

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    "lol just go live on mountains when the sea level rises", ladies and gentlemen we have solved climate change

  3. #4843

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    The way Rayleigh made it sound on Sabody was that the World Government did something extremely morally grey.... how is not blowing up a giant mountain morally greey? Also a Mountain that people have survived for centuries with it existing without any problems

    also if that was Oda's master plan wouldn't he have dropped hints about how the separation from these areas hurts the common people?

    I think the idea's fun at first but the more you look at it the less it feels like a real possibility
    I don't really think it's intended to sound morally grey. That impression comes from him telling Robin that the Roger Pirates and scholars of Ohara were perhaps 'too hasty', but we now know that to be a mistranslation.

    What Rayleigh really meant was that they were 'too early'. The exact phrase 'too early' was later used in Oden's flashback when Roger decides to disband his crew.

    Translating the line as 'too hasty' makes it sound like the Roger Pirates were too quick to confront the world after learning the True History and that the Straw Hat Pirates may choose not to act or act differently because they reach a different conclusion (implying moral ambiguity).

    Context changes things. Since Sabaody we have learned that there are multiple prophecies held by the Minks, Fishmen, Kozuki, and apparently recorded on the Rio Poneglyph of the New Dawn arriving in the current year. Sharley delivered a prophecy to Roger that Shirahoshi would be born in 10 years and take 15 to grow before the time was right. Roger was a dying man who didn't have time to wait. The conclusion he reached was that he was simply too early and so he decided no to act at all on the things he learned and instead disband his crew, turn himself over, and use his dying words to inspire a successor. We now know that's the conclusion Roger reached - that he was too early. So now Rayleigh's words to Robin make a whole lot more sense. He gave her the Roger Pirate's conclusion - that they were too early. He then says th Straw Hats may disagree with the Roger Pirates' conclusion once they learn the truth. Essentially what this means is that when the Straw Hats learn about the history of the world, they may decide the Roger Pirates were wrong to not act or to reveal the truth to the world and instead wait 25 years for a successor. This, if anything, implies just how horrible the truth of the world really is - if the Straw Hats were to conclude that the Roger Pirates should not have let things be for these past 25 years.

    We have also learned a few more critical details since Sabaody - that Vivi's ancestor was part of the 20 Kings, agreed to oppose the ancient civilization, but broke with the other 19 and refused to ascend to Marijoa. We have learned that Imu sits atop the Empty Throne as the world's secret ruler. We learned about the various prophecies and the Kozuki Clan of Wano crafting the Poneglyphs - and that the Poneglyphs aren't only the key to understanding the True History but also discovering Laugh Tale and One Piece. Most important, we learned that One Piece itself was left behind by Joy Boy 800 years ago, not by Roger 25 years ago. Roger only discovered the treasure and passed the message along, just like Whitebeard.

    All this suggests that One Piece itself is meant to resolve whatever conflict began 800 years ago. That Vivi's ancestor agreed to join the 20 Kings initially, but broke with them afterward suggests that there was initially good reason to oppose the ancient civilization. My impression is that the 20 Kings were used, manipulated, by Imu. The Ancient Civilization were likely not all good either. Oda tends to write villains who instigate and manipulate conflict between two parties while working toward their own goal in secret (Doflamingo, Crocodile, Eneru, Blackbeard, Kaido) - and I get the impression the True History is critical in revealing this deception. The World Government is really the aparatus of the shadowy figure sitting in secret atop the Empty Throne.
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

    "ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

  4. #4844

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    Its only the Grand Line that would be affected to be "repaired" from its current irregular state, from those you mention only Sakura is in there, and they have those giant hills and transport to go up there as well.
    Lol yeah, because every Drum Islander plus the local fauna can fit in those mountains. Looks like Dalton's efforts to rebuild Bighorn were pointless.

    Never mind Alabasta. Looks like Yuba is getting drowned, making Toto's whole dream to grow a prosperous city pointless. Again.

    And then there's Sabaody, Kamabakka, Little Garden, Whisky Peak...

  5. #4845

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    Its only the Grand Line that would be affected to be "repaired" from its current irregular state,

    Grand line isn't just "there's a calm belt on either side". It's also got all the crazy weather with unpreedictable storms and sudden seasonal changes and other things.

    Changing the flow and weather patterns of an ocean that spans the planet while also breaking apart large chunks of a continent ONLY affects that one part and has zero repercussions anywhere else. Everywhere in the world floods and gets hit by tidal waves except where its convenient to not be affected?

    Even Oda science won't get around that.

    It's too big, too destructive. All in the name of adressing something that has NEVER been a problem for anyone in the story narratively.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  6. #4846

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    I don't think the whole grand line must come down.

    But we have some important part of history with the continent pullers, so I see some shift happening again to signify the new era.
    If Luffy litterally brings down Mary Geoise, craking the ground beneath his giant stomp, it could eliminate a decent chunk of Red Line, just enough to creat a fissure all the way through, which would allow ships to enter the New World without going trough Fishmen Island, which is now under the debris.

    A big shake to the world and it doesn't fuck up hundreds of thousands of biomes.

  7. #4847

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    The fact that Noah exists at least tell me that concerning Fishmen they'll one day relocate to the surface. Especially since Joy Boy needs to make up for his promise to the Mermaid Princess.

  8. #4848

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    While I don't think we can say for certain one way or the other whether it will happen or not. I think there is evidence that Oda has building towards something big with the ancient weapons so I think it is a possibility.

    I do disagree with the notion that Oda can't destroy the red line because of real world logic or something like that. This is Oda's story and he is not going to let something like that stop him from doing what he wants to do. If Oda wants to destroy the red line then he will destroy it, and do so in a way that will prevent the islands of the world from being flooded, and there is nothing anyone in this thread can do about that.

  9. #4849

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by PKRolling456 View Post
    While I don't think we can say for certain one way or the other whether it will happen or not. I think there is evidence that Oda has building towards something big with the ancient weapons so I think it is a possibility.

    I do disagree with the notion that Oda can't destroy the red line because of real world logic or something like that. This is Oda's story and he is not going to let something like that stop him from doing what he wants to do. If Oda wants to destroy the red line then he will destroy it, and do so in a way that will prevent the islands of the world from being flooded, and there is nothing anyone in this thread can do about that.
    Yep, that's what I think as well. It's non-sense to use one's own headcanon to deny what possible future stories may do.
    No, I'm not back. I never left. It's just that it has been a long time since I had something to say.

  10. #4850
    Chocolate or raisins? Coookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    I've always hated the "Oda can do what he wants with his story so anything is possible" argument. Sure, as the author he can come up with any scenario he wants and of course us readers can do absolutely nothing about it. What we can do however is judge if what he does violates the in-universe laws that he has set up, and if it makes for a good story.

  11. #4851

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    I do think the Red Line will be broken up, but I don't think that necessarily amounts to submerging a 10km tall mountain range. I think it's more like tectonic rearrangement / making the Red Line permeable. I think both the Red Line and Grand Line may have come into being during the Void Century. There's evidence the Red Line is an aberration. We saw that the entire gam of island whales have the same scars on their nose as does Laboon, which indicates ramming against the Red Line is innate behavior - as if it isn't supposed to be there. Brook seeing Laboon again is great - but Laboon is still stranded on the opposite side of the Red Line from the rest of the island whales. Reuniting him with the others is an even more satisfying end and ties Brook's dream to the central narrative arc of the series.

    The Grand Line right now serves a purpose - it's a winnowing system designed to select for the right person to discover One Piece at the right time. The only way to survive the voyage to Laugh Tale and discover One Piece is to possess enough physical fortitude to survive the voyage through a treacherous stretch of sea, and also be of noble enough character to court the favor of the ancient peoples to whom the Road Poneglyphs were entrusted as well as the Kozuki Clan who crafted them (the only ones able to decipher the Poneglyphs until the scholars of Ohara & Robin). The only way the world will change is if the person who discovers One Piece has the support of the world behind them. By necessitating a full circumnavigation of the globe, the Grand Line forces whoever seeks the end of the sea to stop and make friends / allies of those they meet, otherwise they'll never survivie. Mihawk refers to the ability to make friends / allies wherever he goes as Luffy's greatest strength.

    It just so happens that he Grand Line can only be sailed in one direction because of the Calm Belts - windless seas where reside the Sea Kings, who also are tied to the ancient prophecies and the 'weapon' Poseidon. The Sea Kings are sentient creatures with vested interest in the future Pirate King helping to bring about the New Dawn.

    Once the New Dawn arrives, I think the Grand Line will have served its purpose.
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

    "ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

  12. #4852

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post
    "lol just go live on mountains when the sea level rises", ladies and gentlemen we have solved climate change
    Be the climate change you want to see in the world

  13. #4853

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    "Anything can happen in One Piece!" is something people like to go to when they have insane ideas. And to an extent, its true. Especially when it comes to powers and fight scenes, or characters that are only appearing for one panel, where Oda's ceativity is unchained and weird shit happens.

    But Oda still has *rules* for his world, narrative structure, setups, themes, a general overall power balance, and generally good writing.

    Next week Woop Slap could show up, one shot Kaidou, and then declare he's pirate king.

    Next week could have Carrot and Wanda making out as the series jumps into an R rating for the first time.

    Next week Sanji could declare "Just kidding Robin, I'm actually going to beat the shit out of this lady, because she's no lady."

    Yeah, it COULD happen, it doesn't mean its likely, that its been set up in any way, or it makes sense within the narrative. And there's been nothing in the narrative so far that suggests "We have to destroy the grand line for the sake of the world." Lots of "the marines are misguided and the world leaders are corrupt and did soemthing eviel 800 years ago, that needs to be learned about and fixed and there will be a big war over it."

    Yeah I'm sure Luffy could pummel a mountain down or Zoro could slice through one if they needed to and it was impressive, but the sheer scale of taking down a 10,000 foot solid rock continent for... what reason exactly? Doesn't sound like anything the story has declared needs to happen.

    Fantastic things can happen in One Piece and the individual action beats or powers can be almost anything and loaded with surprises. But the actual story, the goals, what its all building up to, are very structured and guided.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  14. #4854

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    The world is structured under its own rules, true, but it’s a stretch to think one has cracked it all down and can say for certain that something is against said rules.

    I mean, an island just flew by dragonfire. How can you say something is impossible without knowing the details?
    No, I'm not back. I never left. It's just that it has been a long time since I had something to say.

  15. #4855

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    I'm not saying I believe Oda could do literally anything. I'm simply saying I don't believe this is outside the boundaries of what Oda would do.

  16. #4856
    Omne ignotum pro magnifico Zik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    I thought we had a dumb predictions thread for a reason. Especially if you're just backing it up with anything can happen.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

  17. #4857

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    The world is structured under its own rules, true, but it’s a stretch to think one has cracked it all down and can say for certain that something is against said rules.

    I mean, an island just flew by dragonfire. How can you say something is impossible without knowing the details?
    Okay, I'll try isolating this sentence this time since you clearly missed it.

    Yeah, it COULD happen, it doesn't mean its likely, that its been set up in any way, or it makes sense within the narrative.
    Nothing is impossible in fiction, this is true. Especially soemthing that gets as crazy as One Piece does.

    But "random guess because anything CAN happen" doesn't get the same weight as "there's setup and foreshadowing here, here, and here, plus actual narrative reasons and traditional story structure."

    "Luffy is going to make his foot huge and crush the capitol of the world and crate a miles long crack through solid rock shattering a continent, destroyng fishman island in the process" is what's being suggested here. Yeah, it's possible. We've seen Mihawk cut an iceburg and we've seen Zoro cut decent sized chunks of rock now. If the series was scaling the way Dragonball or One Punch Man did, it'd be almost inevitable.

    But within the series that we currently have? With the power ceilings we've seen? It doesn't seem the credible route to go, especially when there's zero narrative suggesting its a needed outcome..


    If I said right now "I think the ending of One Piece will involve all the characters climbing into giant mechas and throwing around entire galaxies that finishes with a drill attack that pierces the heavens" sure, that could happen. Franky keeps building bigger mechas and the attacks get bigger and I saw it in Gurren Laggan. It was cool. It's not impossible. But it doesn't make it likely either.


    Also, this isn't the first flying island in the series nor is it new information that dragons can fly by creating clouds. It's an impressive application of those facts that we've had for nearly a decade now, but its hardly out of nowhere or unprecedented.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  18. #4858

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    The world is structured under its own rules, true, but it’s a stretch to think one has cracked it all down and can say for certain that something is against said rules.

    I mean, an island just flew by dragonfire. How can you say something is impossible without knowing the details?
    That's a bit of a bad example since dragons making clouds for flight was already an established detail. Rules were not violated, just expanded upon.

    Kaido doing it to an island just reaffirms his status as an Emperor, since it shows the full potential of his abilities.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Hey look, Usopp doing lookout work again.

  19. #4859

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Also, this isn't the first flying island in the series nor is it new information that dragons can fly by creating clouds. It's an impressive application of those facts that we've had for nearly a decade now, but its hardly out of nowhere or unprecedented.
    Just like we know the Ancient Weapons have power to destroy whole islands, Mary Geoise sits directly above Fishman Island, and Fishman Island will be destroyed by "the man with a Straw Hat". Why is it so hard to acknowledge that the precedents are already set?

    As for raising sea level and what not, that's just your theory of the consequences. Wano can have an ocean above sea level without it being drained out, so normal physics are meaningless under special circunstances.
    No, I'm not back. I never left. It's just that it has been a long time since I had something to say.

  20. #4860
    Chocolate or raisins? Coookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    Hey look, Usopp doing lookout work again.
    Also Yamato referencing Luffy's companions again

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts