View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
289. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

136 47.06%
  • Shinobu

1 0.35%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc.)

1 0.35%
  • Momo

8 2.77%
  • Tama

7 2.42%
  • Carrot

60 20.76%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 2.42%
  • Caribou

4 1.38%
  • Other

23 7.96%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

42 14.53%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 238 of 248 FirstFirst ... 138 188 228 236 237 238 239 240 ... LastLast
Results 4,741 to 4,760 of 4951

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Yeah I just don't see the Yamato needing Momo or the other way around at all. Especially given Oda is only like halfway through exploring Yamato as a character and revealing their past to establish a proper dream and motivation.

To me continuing to bring up the Oden admiration and imitation to attach it to Momo is a dead end. You can't really halfass it. Either you go all the way with Yamato being Oden and they become shogun of Wano and they open its borders - not Momo - or that extent of idolizing will run its course once Wano's borders are open and Momo, Oden's son, is shogun. Sticking around to be a retainer in Wano is a half measure that ignores whats been revealed about the character so far. It just rings false to me.

Of course in my mind I'm not putting Yamato against Carrot cuz I don't really see her as an option for next nakama anymore.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    Why would I have evidence that Yamato is staying when I'm saying Yamato WILL NOT STAY?

You're not making any sense LOL.

You're talking to the wrong person if you want evidence for Yamato staying in Wano. Please don't reply to me unless you're gonna make sense.
    I just don't see Yamato staying. If there was proof, i'd be onto it. I don't get the point. I can't fake agree here just to please someone I don't know. That's not how discussion works. It's ok to disagree

Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    I just don't see Yamato staying. If there was proof, i'd be onto it. I don't get the point. I can't fake agree here just to please someone I don't know. That's not how discussion works. It's ok to disagree
    Are you purposely misunderstanding Zik? He's said multiple times now he's NOT arguing for Yamato staying. just like you are NOT arguing for Yamato staying.

You're agreeing.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Are you purposely misunderstanding Zik? He's said multiple times now he's NOT arguing for Yamato staying. just like you are NOT arguing for Yamato staying.

You're agreeing.
    Then I don't get the point of bringing it up. I'm being patient if anything

Honestly think we wont get Kaido's backstory until he's close to being defeated...

I also agree with Cookie's insinuation that Yamato originally looked up to Kaido before Oden's execution, I mean at the very least her choice of weapon and fighting style seems to imply as much.

Probably grew up on stories from his days as an Apprentice with Rocks...

"The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terror"

Default Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Wasn’t me who said that, credit goes to Zik, but I agree nontheless. For all of Yamato’s admiration of Oden he sticked to his father’s fighting style instead of adapting two-sword fire bending. Another thing that’s yet to be explored about him.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Carrot's chances to join the crew are still more than Yamato. Yamato is currently getting the retainer narrative that I thought Carrot would be getting rn. Yamato didn't even exist when I was first thinking about Carrot's retainer chances. Oda is doing well with accelerating any sort of relationship with Momo.
    It was you who brought up the “Yamato will become Momo’s retainer” idea that Zik argued against.

Quote Originally Posted by Coookie View Post
    Wasn’t me who said that, credit goes to Zik, but I agree nontheless. For all of Yamato’s admiration of Oden he sticked to his father’s fighting style instead of adapting two-sword fire bending. Another thing that’s yet to be explored about him.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

It was you who brought up the “Yamato will become Momo’s retainer” idea that Zik argued against.
    I definitely did say Yamato can be a retainer. I don't get your point. Is this some weird mind game? If he can't back up his point, why quote me? Now he calls you and a mod to get me to agree. It don't work like that. Be cordial and back up your claim or don't interject certain things and backpedal + call mods. This is going beyond OP discussion. I try my best to respond to everyone. Not responding unless it's OP related

Now he calls you and a mod to get me to agree. It don't work like that.
    No one called anyone dude. We're all calling you out on our own.

YOU are the one arguing with YOURSELF.

YOU are the one bizarrely quoting and arguing against people that *agree* with you.

And then quoting them again after they've pointed this out, and being very confrontational about it. Multiple times.

You're being a dingbat about it. Stop it.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Seriously, how confused can you be? Are you drunk?

I'm quite fascinated to learn about Kaido and Yamato's blood and what their connection to Ancients Giants are.

Too many crumbs leading to the Ancient Giants and Giants in general have been left for it to be mere coincidence. Numbers, Kaido, the Beast Pirate motif, Wano Kuni Island structure, Onigashima and the massive sword left there, that giant Kuri Castle Gate, the giant gondola at Mogura Port which can fit all 10 Numbers. With only around half a decade of story left, this arc (which may have a year left of story) seems like a good time to reveal more information about the Ancient Giants which appear to be an important factor for the Marines and the research their scientist have conducted during the years.

If Elbaf is connected to the Sky Islands via its massive tree, then there are two potential arcs that may involve further focus on the Ancients Giants - Elbaf and Vegapunk. The Marines and/or Vegapunk studied Giants, Ancient Giants and likely even Kaido when he was captured. Such plot threads are leading somewhere and if Kaido is defeated in this arc (and captured), the story of his blood may become one carried on by his child, Yamato.

Would be amusing and quite interesting if Elbaf provides Wano with the wood they use to build the towns/cities/stuff with via trade.
    Last edited by Syphin; February 23rd, 2021 at 08:15 AM.

@syphin

Between being Kaido's kid and having the journal, I hope Yamato isn't informed on something like that. Best to learn as he goes like the rest of the Strawhats. I give Oda a pass when Robin and Brook are familiar with things and don't find a reason to speak up. Jinbei's knowledge might be another "issue". Best to speed the story up to places that are more of unknowns so the seasoned Strawhats have a lesser chance of knowing too much and not speaking up.

Just for fun, are there any "meta-clues" about Yamato joining that you found out/read about?
    No, I'm not back. I never left. It's just that it has been a long time since I had something to say.

Honestly, the lack of meta-clues about Yamato is one of my hesitations about him joining the crew. There is the important fact that Yamato made Ace’s vivre card, which would give him importance all the way back in Alabasta and tie him to Luffy’s emotional state during Marineford, but that does feel more like a retcon (a very important retcon, mind you, but a retcon all the same).

Tama has more meta-clues than any Strawhat candidate with Ace’s hat weaving for Oars Jr., so it’s possible Tama existed in Oda’s mind before Marineford, but again it feels like a retcon and Tama was made later to fill that role, similar to Yamato with the vivre card.

What I do want is a definitive answer as to why Kaido tried to go to Marineford. Yamato explained that only after the war did he find out that Ace was killed at the war, so he didn’t know why Kaido left or why Ace’s card suddenly vanished. This is going to be a heartbreaker of a flashback when we get there for Yamato (and a definite tie to Luffy’s pain and realization of “what do you still have?”), but I want to know the extent of Kaido’s exact purpose and why he was so easily sent away by Shanks.

I know Syphin has some great theories about Yamato’s existence before we see him in the manga, and I’m sure that once Oda starts laying it all out it’ll click just like Yamato’s presence at Oden’s boiling. I’d love to hear some more meta-clues.

Nope. No meta-clues. Everything is a retcon so far. If someone said that Kaido had a son like 25 chapters ago, everyone would've laughed at them. That's just how out of left field it was.

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    Nope. No meta-clues. Everything is a retcon so far. If someone said that Kaido had a son like 25 chapters ago, everyone would've laughed at them. That's just how out of left field it was.
    Agreed. I'm still baffled by Yamato's reception despite the lack of foreshadowing. There's no namedrop and absurd Luffy drawing like Jinbe. It's arguable if Brook was a retcon for Laboon, but Oda's early drawings make it apparent that Brook existed since before Oda started the manga. There's nothing like that for Yamato which makes everything about his popularity an enigma. I'm sure Oda will retcon his importance like the vivre card, but that's completely different than every other Strawhat.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinds View Post
    Agreed. I'm still baffled by Yamato's reception despite the lack of foreshadowing. There's no namedrop and absurd Luffy drawing like Jinbe. It's arguable if Brook was a retcon for Laboon, but Oda's early drawings make it apparent that Brook existed since before Oda started the manga. There's nothing like that for Yamato which makes everything about his popularity an enigma. I'm sure Oda will retcon his importance like the vivre card, but that's completely different than every other Strawhat.
    I think Yamato's popularity is mostly based on wishful thinking rather than something the character has actually shown or done so far.

Particularly, I feel Yamato is not being added to the crew, and his story will lead him to find his own worth and identity, as a paralel to Momonosuke. I don't expect a flashback just for him, either his past has already been shown, or will be split over several more short flashbacks over the arc. We already got Oden's flashback in Wano, and I think the next one is about Kaido/Rocks, which may not even be a full flashback, but a short one like Big Mom's.
    No, I'm not back. I never left. It's just that it has been a long time since I had something to say.

Agreed wholeheartedly. I kinda hesitate from jumping 100% on Yamato bandwagon based on... how "convenient" she is. She's checking so many checkboxes for "new crewmate" (close relationship to arc's villain, interesting design, knowing Ace, strong) just by that and then literally having a shortcut to Laughtale (Oden's journal)?

How convenient indeed. You could say that she's a deus ex machina because she's pivotal to Kaido's downfall later...
    "I want to know if it is a crime to live as you are, when you are different from others." - Kotomine Kirei

I do think Yamato already has his own worth and identity, he just doesn't understand the implications of his fascination of Oden has on others. Part of me thinks that a lot of people were soured on his character from terrible early spoilers so they don't look at what his character has actually accomplished. He's only expressed his fascination of Oden to people who hate Oden, or never expressed it at all with people like Ace. He does separate himself from Oden, and I expect Momo or Kinemon to actually explain the problems with his fascination which will lead to some character development. I see Yamato partially sharing in Kaido's flashback, similar to Doflamingo and Law. I'm unsure about it being due to God Valley because that might be Blackbeard territory.

Realistically, I see Yamato as similar to Katakuri in the admiration of Luffy. Yamato has shown a lot of potential, but oneshotting a number, baring fangs, and drinking with Ace only go so far for actual feats. I think you're spot on about the wishful thinking for popularity. I do want Yamato on the crew because his character's potential excites me, so I argue for his joining because it's fun. Whether Oda expands on that or not is up to him, but I won't feel cheated if Yamato doesn't join. I'll be happy he created a character that got me really invested in where the story go for a while, a character no one could have predicted at all.

Quote Originally Posted by astagadragon View Post
    How convenient indeed. You could say that she's a deus ex machina if she's proven pivotal to Kaido's downfall later...
    That's kind of the cloud hanging over Yamato right now, but I want to trust in Oda that Yamato wouldn't be THAT convenient. He might give Luffy a firmer desire to take down Kaido, but it should be Luffy alone who takes him down.

I’m mean not really most yonko/big lead Pirate has a kid.

Shanks has a child with Makino
    Whitebeard has Weevil that even someone close like Marco leads credence too
    Big Mom has tons of kids
    Roger had Ace

All these most of these Pirates are in the age range of having/raising kids/had kids.

Not much of a reach at all like you insinuate but getting you to post in good faith with Yamato is like asking the same from Republicans to stop being disingenuous and be in good faith.

Ain’t gonna happen.
    Last edited by Jaime; February 23rd, 2021 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by astagadragon View Post
    Agreed wholeheartedly. I kinda hesitate from jumping 100% on Yamato bandwagon based on... how "convenient" she is. She's checking so many checkboxes for "new crewmate" (close relationship to arc's villain, interesting design, knowing Ace, strong) just by that and then literally having a shortcut to Laughtale (Oden's journal)?

How convenient indeed. You could say that she's a deus ex machina because she's pivotal to Kaido's downfall later...
    I've joked that he's a red herring that Oda conveniently gave red horns. :) There's still plenty of time for Oda to expand on the character, but everything so far has been extremely convenient. Oda hasn't really been that direct about a potential NN, so we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
    I’m mean not really ever single yonko/big lead Pirate has a kid.

Shanks has a child with Makino
    Whitebeard has Weevil that even someone close like Marco leads credence too
    Big Mom has tons of kids
    Roger had Ace

All these most of these Pirates are in the age range of having/raising kids/had kids.

Not much of a reach at all like you insinuate but getting you to post in good faith with Yamato is like asking the same from Republicans to stop being disingenuous and be in good faith.

Ain’t gonna happen.
    Right, but we never had an expectation that Kaido had a kid. There was no build up. At least with Big Mom, there's the whole "mom" part and the hint from Lola, which people figured out. Shanks having a kid is still speculation and so is Weevil. It's possible, but nothing has been confirmed in the story yet. As for Yamato, there was nothing from Doffy, other Beast Pirates, the citizens of Wano, or anything. It's like he was literally conjured out of thin air.
    Last edited by BobLoblaw; February 23rd, 2021 at 09:46 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information