View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
288. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

135 46.88%
  • Shinobu

1 0.35%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc.)

1 0.35%
  • Momo

8 2.78%
  • Tama

7 2.43%
  • Carrot

60 20.83%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 2.43%
  • Caribou

4 1.39%
  • Other

23 7.99%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

42 14.58%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 209 of 243 FirstFirst ... 109 159 199 207 208 209 210 211 219 ... LastLast
Results 4,161 to 4,180 of 4849

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Quote Originally Posted by Blowfish View Post
    We have to be consistent in the way we evaluate each person, so if we can assume Oda is approaching a different approach with the potential recruitment like Carrot, Yamato definitely qualifies in spades as special circumstances.
    I'm a bit confused. Have I not being fair with how I'm evaluating Yamato vs Carrot?

My point about the apprentice thing is simply that whoever joins won't have it as their job title. Yamato has a lot of things going for him than just being a rookie pirate, same as Chopper and as Carrot.

No, I don't think Yamato will join, but I've said that by and large, he's got a lot of the pieces of a crewmate. He's strong, he's loyal, his design largely works. It's nearly too perfect, which rasies my suspicions, but I could certainly be paranoid on that.

My main issue is that Oda had his crew planned for a long time, and Jinbe, as you likely understand, was in the cards from the very beginning despite all the time it took to get him here. I can't accept the idea that Oda would just whip up a new Straw Hat from thin air during a story's climax, nor can I believe Yamato was ever planned with the crew considering how rushed Oda made his intro into the story despite having years to at least introduce the concept of Kaido's son. No matter how impressive or touching Yamato may turn out to be, it feels too simple after all the time he took on Jinbe.
    Last edited by Shift; January 24th, 2021 at 02:39 AM.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Quote Originally Posted by Solid View Post
    I've always seen Jinbe as the counter to Tama, in strength, experience, age etc
    I actually view Carrot as this. She's the opposite of Jinbe in a lot of areas:
    • Jinbe is the most experienced pirate aboard. Carrot is a naive newcomer and knows little of the outside world.
    • The Fishmen race live 10k meters under the sea. The Mink Tribe live at least 10k meters over the sea, in the sky.
    • Jinbe is very serious and mature. Carrot is carefree and immature.
    • Jinbe fights with a martial art that uses the environment through water manipulation. Carrot's inherent abilities allow her to personally imbue weapons with electricity.
    • Jinbe was the vice captain turned captain of the Sun Pirates. Carrot's mentor, Pedro, was a leader of an expedition group called the Nox Expedition Party, then turned Nox Pirates. 'Nox' meaning night.
    • Alongside the aforementioned experience: Jinbe is going to be the oldest member ALIVE on the ship. Carrot is basically the same age Chopper was when he joined 2 years ago (hence their sibling-esque relationship).

Yet they also have pressing similarities. Those being their race facing discrimination, both of their races are awaiting for a fateful day (Fishmen: to see the Sun | Minks: to see the Dawn of the World come to fruition) led by the reemergence of a significant individual (Joy Boy, A.K.A. Luffy) along with a proxy to help him on their race's behalf (Shirahoshi, A.K.A. Poseidon, and Momonosuke, whose role in the Dawn of the World was brought to his attention by Yamato).

Probably why I still have this fanart from about 3 years ago:
    Spoiler:
    Last edited by SeaOfHope; January 23rd, 2021 at 09:35 PM.

I think I’m pretty much on team Yamato now

Although I do see a possibility of no one joining this arc

I may be reading between the lines but from my interpretation of the events that began when Ace arrived on Onigashima to the events that saw Yamato personally locating Luffy and meeting him, I feel a shift in priorities occurred within Yamato. And the catalyst to that shift was the death of Ace. Prior to Ace dying, Yamato was fine with leaving Onigashima if they had the opportunity i.e. not bound by the explosive bindings, but when Yamato unmasks and officially introduces themself to Luffy, Yamato states "and now that the Akazaya Samurai are dead, someone has to carry on Oden's will! That's why I choose...to open this country to the world!! I want to fight on your side!!!".

From being fine with leaving Wano Kuni with Ace and returning sometime later to wishing to open Wano Kuni's borders and fighting alongside Luffy before setting sail aboard Luffy's ship. After Ace died, Yamato realised how important Luffy is. Yamato realised who the person Oden and Roger were waiting for is. Yamato realised how important it was to see Wano Kuni's borders opened. Yamato realised Luffy was the pirate who would be the one to help liberate Wano Kuni which is why Yamato declared in their introduction to fight alongside Luffy. Yamato has complete confidence that Luffy and his allies will be able to defeat Kaido. Yamato recites the words Oden noted in his journal about the next generation of pirates challenging and defeating Kaido because of that belief. And if there is one character in all of the One Piece world who knows how strong Kaido is, it is Yamato who has been challenging their father for the past 20+ years. Over the past two years, Oden's journal truly did become a bible for Yamato who has completely cast themselves into the destiny that awaits Luffy. Given the strong focus Oda has given to Yamato believing in Luffy and in connecting Yamato to the deeper story threads of One Piece (Luffy's/Roger's dream, opening of Wano Kuni's borders, the deeper relevance Wano has to the rest of the world, the Ponegylph's importance to the Kozuki clan, the dawn, the next generation of pirates challenging the current era, the Will of D), I don't see that focus letting up anytime soon. Yamato will continue to support Luffy during the arc (currently that includes protecting Momonosuke) and may eventually determine that the best path forward to help accomplish that which Oden and Roger sought is to travel with Luffy and to continue to assist him and the Straw Hat Pirates.

Yamato joining the Straw Hat Pirates could potentially bring the Straw Hat Pirates journey closer in alignment with what the Roger Pirates hoped to accomplish after discovering the secrets of history and the truths left on Laugh Tale. Roger expected his son to surpass him but those that have inherited Ace's will shall end up achieving that which Roger could not.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    That's the point genius. At most, it took 20 chapters before a SH's role was revealed with the exception of Robin. Yamato is getting closer to that 20 chapter mark that Jinbe had and it's still not clear what his role could be.
    And I'm saying it's trivial and irrelevant genius. Its a completely made up metric that holds no bearing on if someone qualifies to join or not.

It doesn't matter.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    And I'm saying it's trivial and irrelevant genius. Its a completely made up metric that holds no bearing on if someone qualifies to join or not.

It doesn't matter.
    It's your opinion that it's trivial or irrelevant. They're actual facts that can't be disputed, but you're welcome to give it a try. Whether or not Oda sticks to the facts that I've outlined is the question.

They're actual facts that can't be disputed, but you're welcome to give it a try. Whether or not Oda sticks to the facts that I've outlined is the question.
    Those maybe facts, but they are not criteria on which a character joins or not. The moment Robin didn't get that treatment, it was disqualified as a criterion.
    The Strawhats have a few features in common, those can be treated as criteria for joining. Everything else is just wishful thinking.

"There will be an answer, let it be."

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

It's your opinion that it's trivial or irrelevant. They're actual facts that can't be disputed, but you're welcome to give it a try. Whether or not Oda sticks to the facts that I've outlined is the question.
    Trivial facts. They literally don't mean anything as far as who will or won't join.

Oda never said those were guidelines for the next nakama so he doesn't have to stick to anything. It doesn't matter. Oda isnt writing and drawing these chapters with post it note reminders that he has to reveal the next crew members role on a ship within 20 chapters lol.

To be clear, if Yamato doesn't join it won't be because of the fun fact you brought up. Besides Yamato (or anyone else for that matter going forward) can have their ship position revealed after 21 chapters or 22 or 23 and then all of a sudden your "facts" change or you're forced to add them to your exclusion list with Robin since it doesn't fit the narrative you're trying to peddle.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Zhenja View Post
    Those maybe facts, but they are not criteria on which a character joins or not. The moment Robin didn't get that treatment, it was disqualified as a criterion.
    The Strawhats have a few features in common, those can be treated as criteria for joining. Everything else is just wishful thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    Trivial facts. They literally don't mean anything as far as who will or won't join.

Oda never said those were guidelines for the next nakama so he doesn't have to stick to anything. It doesn't matter. Oda isnt writing and drawing these chapters with post it note reminders that he has to reveal the next crew members role on a ship within 20 chapters lol.

To be clear, if Yamato doesn't join it won't be because of the fun fact you brought up. Besides Yamato (or anyone else for that matter going forward) can have their ship position revealed after 21 chapters or 22 or 23 and then all of a sudden your "facts" change or you're forced to add them to your exclusion list with Robin since it doesn't fit the narrative you're trying to peddle.
    You're telling me something that I've already clearly stated. I never said they were a requirement for whoever will join. I was pointing out an established fact about what he's done 90% of the time.

As many people are aware, I still feel that Carrot is the better potential candidate of the two. She debuted in Chapter 804 and first showed her ability to be a "lookout" in Chapter 805. With Yamato, we're getting closer to 20 chapters past his debut and we're still guessing or looking for a clue. It's possible that Oda could treat him like Robin where it isn't clear until later, but my point is we'd usually have some kind of hint or idea by now and I'm still not seeing anything.
    People think I'm not objective when it comes to new SHs because of a sarcastic comment that I made, but you seem to be getting really defensive when I mention that your preferred candidate hasn't stuck to Oda's pattern (8 out of 9 can still be considered a pattern). Rather than saying, "That's interesting" or "I never realized that," people immediately restate my original comment that Oda can still change things up. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    I'm a bit confused. Have I not being fair with how I'm evaluating Yamato vs Carrot?

My point about the apprentice thing is simply that whoever joins won't have it as their job title. Yamato has a lot of things going for him than just being a rookie pirate, same as Chopper and as Carrot.

No, I don't think Yamato will join, but I've said that by and large, he's got a lot of the pieces of a crewmate. He's strong, he's loyal, his design largely works. It's nearly too perfect, which rasies my suspicions, but I could certainly be paranoid on that.

My main issue is that Oda had his crew planned for a long time, and Jinbe, as you likely understand, was in the cards from the very beginning despite all the time it took to get him here. I can't accept the idea that Oda would just whip up a new Straw Hat from thin air during a story's climax, nor can I believe Yamato was ever planned with the crew considering how rushed Oda made his intro into the story despite having years to at least introduce the concept of Kaido's son. No matter how impressive or touching Yamato may turn out to be, it feels too simple after all the time he took on Jinbe.
    Sorry if that came off wrong but that's not to suggest you're not being fair between the characters but rather if it's just as you pointed out with Jinbe who was planned from the first sketch, yet took a sort of very long round about way to finally joining, then certainly Yamato's lack of foreshadowing or sudden importance to the narrative of Wano and the story at large shouldn't be dismissed as mere red herring or misdirection on Oda's part, especially this late in the game.

We here can agree on one thing , after Vivi left and Robin joined or maybe even Franky for that matter, Oda's way of recruitment hasn't been as straight forward. The similar story beats are there. Sad past, social outcast to society based on a particular circumstance or ongoing problem. Role model or Mentor who motivated them and made a sacrifice that shaped them moving forward in their lives. The Dream to fulfill being the final outlier.

These arcs of the crew are often similar to the Blues. If they were, certain music always plays the same sound but never the same song. If each character was an instrument , Oda uses each of them to play the Blues differently.

How it concerns Apprenticeship I honestly think it's just as straight forward as you can get with Yamato , who apart from being a standout fighter is really naive to the world outside of Wano's borders. She'd be just barely taking the steps to walk the path of a Pirate , with for all intents and purposes makes her a rookie. Not like Cavendish either , more like all the crew members when they first left their respective Island. Specifically the first five members, Robin had been around the block, Franky is arguable because he was already a mafia boss but how it concerns piracy they were all viewed as rookies two years ago. Except Brook and Jinbe obviously , who are true blue veterans.

Don't get me wrong , Oda could easily tack her on as another Fighter, but with how particular he's been it just seems to make the most literary sense especially since the position was subtly implied throughout Wano's reflections of the past or flashback through Sengoku and Oden. Which seems like something that hasn't happened since Brook.

Who was apart of a Pirate crew of musicians , kinda on the nose, no? How could he not be the musician of the crew , right? OR Franky being a former Shipright's apprentice when the crew needed one really bad, or when Nami was sick and they needed a Doctor and they just so happen to wash up on an island full of them. Recruiting the cook Sanji at a sea diner. Coincidentally running into the son of one of the greatest snipers in the world. Finding a Map and weather nerd like Nami to be your navigator and finally someone completely obsessed with fighting as your First Mate. Even Robin's role on the crew became essential unknowingly to the Strawhats , or the readers. It just wasn't revealed until a more crucial point in the story.

The roles in the crew have ranged from essential necessity to the said person's or Luffy's owns desire to have them as Nakama.

Things obviously evolved when Jinbe is finally introduced, or to be more precise the stakes evolved. Instead of an almost casual adventurous travel with his friends from Island to Island righting past wrongs, Luffy finds himself separated from his newly formed crew and desperate to infiltrate a great underwater prison to rescue his own brother for once, a first in the story something has been so personal, anyway if we imagine the crew had been with him yet separated from the Sunny, Jinbe's later revealed expertise how it concerns everything ocean and Helmsmanship would've come off a lot more essential , wouldn't? I doubt there would've even been a debate what his role would be much less the question in he'd join.

I think where the disconnect with the apprentice role is for one we automatically equate it with kids, or younger naive characters like Chopper. Or on the strength spectrum we assume they have to be at certain lower level compared to the established members where as Yamato comes off as a monster but again Luffy's crew isn't like most crews out there.

We have to remember that when Oden , Izo, Neko and Inu joined Whitebeard they were all technically Apprentices despite their status on Wano as badass Daimyo and retainers. And Luffy for whatever reason seemed to take Shanks views on bringing kids aboard a pirate ship to heart so I doubt he'll ever allow it. As we both said Chopper is the closest but he's literally their Doctor.

All I'm saying, is if the Straw hats did ever have an Apprentice , big if , I know. It's more in the vein and style of Luffy's weird tastes and how events seem to unfold in his favor if it's Yonko's monster child who's never seen or experienced the outside world before. Especially if said character's dream and goal is write and chronicle her own Journey like Oden did once upon a time.

I could be wrong though of course.

"The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terror"

An apprentice has to be someone who when the whole story is said and done, luffy will turn around, take the strawhat and put it on their head. Whomever the apprentice is, will join in the timeskip after the war.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Discovered Stowaway Galleon Panthera's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SeaOfHope View Post
    I actually view Carrot as this. She's the opposite of Jinbe in a lot of areas:
    • Jinbe is the most experienced pirate aboard. Carrot is a naive newcomer and knows little of the outside world.
    • The Fishmen race live 10k meters under the sea. The Mink Tribe live at least 10k meters over the sea, in the sky.
    • Jinbe is very serious and mature. Carrot is carefree and immature.
    • Jinbe fights with a martial art that uses the environment through water manipulation. Carrot's inherent abilities allow her to personally imbue weapons with electricity.
    • Jinbe was the vice captain turned captain of the Sun Pirates. Carrot's mentor, Pedro, was a leader of an expedition group called the Nox Expedition Party, then turned Nox Pirates. 'Nox' meaning night.
    • Alongside the aforementioned experience: Jinbe is going to be the oldest member ALIVE on the ship. Carrot is basically the same age Chopper was when he joined 2 years ago (hence their sibling-esque relationship).

Yet they also have pressing similarities. Those being their race facing discrimination, both of their races are awaiting for a fateful day (Fishmen: to see the Sun | Minks: to see the Dawn of the World come to fruition) led by the reemergence of a significant individual (Joy Boy, A.K.A. Luffy) along with a proxy to help him on their race's behalf (Shirahoshi, A.K.A. Poseidon, and Momonosuke, whose role in the Dawn of the World was brought to his attention by Yamato).

Probably why I still have this fanart from about 3 years ago:
    One point you forgot:

Carrot represents the Moon, and Jinbe represents the Sun! By the way, that fanart is awesome sauce!

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    An apprentice has to be someone who when the whole story is said and done, luffy will turn around, take the strawhat and put it on their head. Whomever the apprentice is, will join in the timeskip after the war.
    Not the Makino's mysterious baby in East Blue?

Luffy could always do that after the war. We still don't even know under what circumstances Shanks was given the straw hat so it can't be sparse paralleled until Oda reveals it.

How Luffy got the hat however , is widely known and we all wait for the day Luffy won't be able to give it back to Shanks because of Blackbeard.

"The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terror"

I do kind of like the idea of Oda running with "apprentice, but not as you would expect it." That is completely his MO. To surprise and go against expectation. And a 28 year old apprentice instead of a 10 year old certainly fits that bill.

That said its really, really hard to see as an "official" role. And I don't see Yamato as being *that* naive and inexperienced? Chopper still really fills the role compared to the rest of the cast even if he has grown to "big bro Bropper".

Plus, in a crew of the world's best swordsman, doctor, cook, navigator, etc... "apprentice" is a terrible aspiration person thing.

Chronicler maybe, though that's sort of Robin's bit.
    Last edited by Robby; January 24th, 2021 at 09:35 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Am I the only one who likes the new move Oda uses, instead of the old formulaic sequences?

- Oh, Luffy invites Jinbe and he accepts! Wait, he'll be absent for one arc, fighting together on the arc after that, and finally group up in the current arc? Yeah, unique plotline, something fresh.

- Hmm, this Carrot sneaks into the ship ala Robin? Her dreams & mentor related flashback is happening in the present time? Nice, something new.

- Luffy's in Wano & meet the helpful loli of the arc! She wears the straw hat like nami & robin! But she's a child.. Huh, she can fight with her beasts? Will she join? Or not? Nice mystery Oda

- We're midway through Wano arc & final fight soon, looks like it's either carrot & tama, depends on who gets fight and foc.. Yamato enters! Wow, so sudden! And she asked to join/related to ace/waiting for luffy/whatever! Good surprise

What I'm trying to say, Oda probably uses/finds some new formats/sequences, to keep the mystery fresh. Jinbe hasn't join, he ded? Carrot no dreams/flashback, just a side char? Yamato appears too sudden, a red herring? Etc

What still irks me about Yamato possibly being the apprentice is that it all hinges on his inexperience about piracy even though the first five crewmates were in the very same position with the sole difference that they had other roles they could better perform. Should Yamato really get that role simply because there is nothing else left for him to do? That just feels completely unsatisfactory to me.
    Depending on if you see Zoro as the vice captain or the crew's main combatant there's also the issue that every single crewmate excels at their role, within the crew and, either already or as their big goal, in the whole world. This isn't an ironclad rule or anything, it would just also be weird if you have a crew with the Pirate King, the world's strongest swordsman, the navigator who is the first to draw a complete world map, one of the best snipers, one of the best cooks who could even calm a hunger crazed Yonkou with his food, the best doctor, the archeologist who uncovered the buried truth, an international rockstar, one of the best helmsmen and... the best apprentice?

For Yamato to truly follow in Oden's footsteps, I think the perfect way of doing that would be to chronicle the adventures of the pirate king. With Momo taking back the leadership of Wano under the Kozuki name, it frees up Yamato from dealing with that aspect of Oden's legacy. The other main thing we know about Oden is that he kept a journal of his, and by association Roger's, adventure to the end of the Grand Line.

It just seems like such an obvious role to play on the ship that isn't necessarily there already. We've been having Oda-boxes as a narrative framing device within the story from the start, I could certainly see Oda making the choice for those to actually be the words of someone in-story chronicling Luffy's voyage. Oden's journal is so central to Yamato's character, it would make perfect sense for Yamato to become the next generation of journal keeper. It's a goal that can easily exist without having to really show up on panel often. In the same way Nami can be working on mapping the entire world without us seeing her draw too many maps these days, Yamato can, in the background, be keeping a log of the journey to the One Piece.

The thing about "pirate apprentice" is that it's a very vague notion of something, so anyone can fill it with any concept. It's not a useless discussion because a character could join the crew as an apprentice (so it's always a possibility), but it's just too hard to speculate anything under the premise of something so generic. It's not even a topic in the story right now. The only two things we know about apprentices in One Piece is that: (a) they were all very young and (b) they all became captains. Are these the basic elements for an apprentice? Who knows. It's vague.

The "pirate apprentice" position has never existed outside of flashbacks. Not that I've found, anyway. Whenever it comes up in the current timeline, I can't help but groan because it's usually followed by things that require a huge dose of imagination.

Have been thinking about something...

We are approaching volume 100, and it was in volume 50 that Brooke joined. So we had almost half of the manga with the crew being complete and no one else joining. The exception is, of course, Jinbe. But Jinbe was introduced near this half mark, and was part of the story for two of the new world sagas. So even if he joined recently, he was part of the story from way before. Which means that we have spent almost half of the manga debating new nakamas, without a new one joining.

Does this make anyone think we won't have a new nakama? Or that it won't be a new character, but a recurring one (Vivi, Hancock). Many think that Wano is the cut-off point...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information