View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
275. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

125 45.45%
  • Shinobu

1 0.36%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc.)

1 0.36%
  • Momo

8 2.91%
  • Tama

7 2.55%
  • Carrot

58 21.09%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 2.55%
  • Caribou

4 1.45%
  • Other

22 8.00%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

42 15.27%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 198 of 198 FirstFirst ... 98 148 188 196 197 198
Results 3,941 to 3,948 of 3948

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Quote Originally Posted by SeaOfHope View Post
    Be honest, it's because of the Yamato side-boob.
    Yes.

16 characters

You canít deny greatness:

The first Yamato pose where the club was aimed down looked better composition wise, but I guess Oda went with that pose cause fanservice.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Of all the talk that Oda's women should have more variety of body types, Yamato is one that I think would be better with less boobs. Not necessarily because of his gender, it just would fit the design better.

Looking at that cover i just keep thinking about how ya'll somehow manage to mistake Nami for Yams. It still amazes me.

I guess Oda left out Kaido on the cover, I thought the rough draft showed part of him

Also Yamato’s colors should make Robby happy, he’s said for years the last crew member should have either White, red, purple, lime green or turquoise for there color scheme, Yamato has all of them

Yamato should absolutely have a flatter chest. It would be a more defining character trait. But Oda IS targetting 12 year old boys after all.

Yeah, in color they look nothing alike. Oda has fully settled in on the eyebrows having a sharp Oden style angle to them now even in happy shots, and is doing a lot of little details differently. Nose is longer, hair is more different, etc. Notably in both color pics we've had of Yamato so far, the lips have been filled in darker, something he never does for Nami and Robin.

Designs are still at a glance similar in black and white, but they've very deliberately been moving further apart. If Yamato had started at this point I don't think the complaints would have been as strong. Still nowhere near the "holy crap what is this yellow submarine character" there was going on with Robin, but it's definitely better than it was.

This is notably something he never really bothered to do with Rebecca or Pudding... he just moved Nami out of the story for a year with the first, and put up her hair differently in the second..

It's still close enough that it keeps me from going all in on Yamato joining, but I am at the edge man.

(That we saw in the progress cover Oda drew Yamato and Luffy together like six different times and multiple layouts says a lot. He REALLY wanted them together even with all the other scabbards in the mix. But covers don't mean much unless they have other specific details backing them up like a chapter title or clear narrative tie)

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    Also Yamato’s colors should make Robby happy, he’s said for years the last crew member should have either White, red, purple, lime green or turquoise for there color scheme, Yamato has all of them
    I consistently said white, red or purple. I never mentioned green or turquoise.

But yes, they're all there as we started noting back in October when the colors were first revealed.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Looking at that cover i just keep thinking about how ya'll somehow manage to mistake Nami for Yams. It still amazes me.
    The extreme closeups in the first couple chapters were pretty close and jarring, especially with the angry face, I can agree with the criticism then. Not any problem with a medium or long shot shot. I don't think its an issue at this point, Oda's made enough little tweaks. I'd still prefer if it was something a wee bit crazier and more outlandish to show he *really* spent the time thinking about how to differentiate them in advance, but he's been putting in that effort since the debut.

It's not even slightly an issue in color.

I'm starting to think maybe Oda was thinking about the color design at the outset (for once) and so he didn't realizee initially it was a bit close.
    Last edited by Robby; January 18th, 2021 at 03:31 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Just noticed Luffy isn't wearing his captain's coat.

Oversight on Oda?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information