View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
368. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

189 51.36%
  • Shinobu

1 0.27%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc)

1 0.27%
  • Momo

9 2.45%
  • Tama

9 2.45%
  • Carrot

68 18.48%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 1.90%
  • Caribou

6 1.63%
  • Other

28 7.61%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

50 13.59%
Closed Thread
Page 159 of 506 FirstFirst ... 59 109 149 157 158 159 160 161 169 209 259 ... LastLast
Results 3,161 to 3,180 of 10112

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Pedro and Chopper also did that job at Cake land.

And the instant Usopp was back on the ship he took over that duty. He and Carrot were both at the bottom of the mast, enemies approached... and Usopp was the one at the top doing the looking.

Carrot's much vaunted superior jumping didn't get her there any faster. She wasn't motivated or inspired to get up there. She didn't volunteer or prove herself the best at the task. She just.. let Usopp do it.

If Oda was trying to prove a character's worth at a specific task, to show they're the best and deserve a spot on the ship purely from how good they are at that job, she failed that test badly.

Not to mention when she failed to notice the giant octopus or the fish the size of the ship.
    Jinbe was the just steering the Marine battleship while not showing in particular skills either, so it's not like there is no precedent. He only showed these skills in WCI.

Aren't Rabbits farsighted, also?

Either way, I'm not making a case for her to join, but as far as roles go, she sure has a better chance than Yamato.

Want to see the Colored Manga Chapters in English? Support Snir in his endeavor by DONATING: http://sniraharon.tumblr.com/

But notably, every time he had the opportunity to steer a ship, he did, even if it wasn't highlighted particularly.

Carrot abandoned being lookout the instant Usopp was back.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Wonder if she will be tied up with the candyman for the rest of this arc.

Or if she will be defeated and bailed out by someone.

I think Carrot would've had better chances of winning if she was alone. Teamups against a single enemy tend to end badly in One Piece.

Not to mention that, considering the amount of time that has passed since (Luffy was still in Level 1), her and Wanda's Sulongs should be on its last legs.
    Last edited by King Cannon; December 31st, 2020 at 06:24 AM.

If straw hats managed to live without a proper helmsman until wano, the next role has to be super important for it to qualify, like we really need this one.
    https://imgur.com/MyjRSWw

I'm going with Staff Officer/Chief of Staff/Quartermaster, which is essentially the one responsible to make sure the ship is in order and everyone is doing their duties?

Not a very highlighted function, but one that has been presented since the beginning with characters like Cabaji, Chess and even Sabo.

So far, Nami has been doing this function in the ship due to the unruly crew always getting into trouble, but she should be focusing on navigation as the seas get more dangerous. We've seen her taking misteps a few times in that regard, like when she left the crew alone to bath after they left Fishman Island, or when she let Luffy cook before Whole Cake. I can totally see Jinbe calling the crew's attention to the need of someone that can place order on the ship and, specially, that Luffy would listen to.

But how could any newcomer be able to boss around the crew? Well, what if it's a character that is very persuasive?
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Discovered Stowaway Galleon Panthera's Avatar

Its like I said before in my last post, I think the reason that Carrot isn't getting much of a focus in Wano, is because she got her time in Whole Cake Island. Despite this, Im willing to lay my hat unto a guess that Luffy already considers her a member of his crew, even though the story itself isn't really hinting much to it, or shoving it in our faces full blown, unlike Yamato.

Like, disagree or agree, not everything has to be made super obvious and in your face in who the new nakama may be, if there is one. Luffy, as such, is more likely to go and pull a Usopp in which Luffy just simply tells Carrot to come on board at the end of the Wano Country arc because they are already nakama. That or Carrot asks to join at the end and he's fine with it, just like how Robin just casually asked and Luffy allowed it with no issues. Sometimes, being simple works, just as Carrot, at her core is also a pretty simple character, both in personality and design.

Luffy is that simple minded, unlike us in the fanbase, where we look at every single point and tend to overanalyze everything about a single character, plot or ongoing arc as to prove something that may be not there at all.

As such, I myself am not expecting any BIG flashbacks for Carrot or a tragic backstory anymore during this arc, as all those things, as little as they have been, have been done during Whole Cake Island. No need to do it again. The least I can still reasonable expect, is that something happens between Perospero and Carrot that triggers a meaningful scene for her and ups her chances for joining. But for the rest, what you normally expect of a new Nakama, has already been completed, even if we, the fanbase may not agree with it and we want to see more.

All in all, where people try to find big meaningful stuff about Carrot that would supposedly heighten her chances for joining, Carrot itself isn't this complex character, but rather a SIMPLE one in every aspect about her. So if she were to join, its also going to be a simple thing, not something grandiose.
    Last edited by Galleon Panthera; December 31st, 2020 at 07:06 AM.

donīt know, but here is chocolate... so everthingīs alright ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    I'm going with Staff Officer/Chief of Staff/Quartermaster, which is essentially the one responsible to make sure the ship is in order and everyone is doing their duties?

Not a very highlighted function, but one that has been presented since the beginning with characters like Cabaji, Chess and even Sabo.

So far, Nami has been doing this function in the ship due to the unruly crew always getting into trouble, but she should be focusing on navigation as the seas get more dangerous. We've seen her taking misteps a few times in that regard, like when she left the crew alone to bath after they left Fishman Island, or when she let Luffy cook before Whole Cake. I can totally see Jinbe calling the crew's attention to the need of someone that can place order on the ship and, specially, that Luffy would listen to.

But how could any newcomer be able to boss around the crew? Well, what if it's a character that is very persuasive?
    A newcomer would have a lot of trouble bossing the crew around.
    But a known and already by the crew respected character, now that would be something else. Out of my head there is only one such character and as much as I dislike to say it, it's Vivi. She already "teached" Luffy back in Drum and iirc tired to keep the crew in check all the way to/through Alabasta.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk in Spoilerthreat from Chapter 579
    "Did I fire six shots or only five? Well, do you feel lucky punk?"

Quote Originally Posted by tolazy View Post
    A newcomer would have a lot of trouble bossing the crew around.
    But a known and already by the crew respected character, now that would be something else. Out of my head there is only one such character and as much as I dislike to say it, it's Vivi. She already "teached" Luffy back in Drum and iirc tired to keep the crew in check all the way to/through Alabasta.
    Yeah, I think the last crewmate is a well established character rather than a new one. My bet is on Hancock, who (IMO) is soon to return to the story, is around the crew's level of strength, and is naturally able to persuade people by charm, intimidation or force. She's also one of the few people Luffy actually listens to when it comes to caution.
    Vivi is also a good candidate, and I'm sure she will also travel with the crew again, but I don't think she is "the" last crewmate.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

I think it's pretty obvious that Yamato's role will be a chronicler or whatever role Oden had on Roger's ship, Yamato's knowledge of Oden's journal will be essential in piecing together the True History and maybe allow Robin to get new insight and reach to new conclusions that Roger and Oden and the Roger Pirates never could.

Quote Originally Posted by TLC View Post
    I think it's pretty obvious that Yamato's role will be a chronicler or whatever role Oden had on Roger's ship, Yamato's knowledge of Oden's journal will be essential in piecing together the True History and maybe allow Robin to get new insight and reach to new conclusions that Roger and Oden and the Roger Pirates never could.
    How disrespectful towards Robin to think she'd only reach different conclusions w/ someone else's help. I think anything that diminishes her role does more harm than good to the story.

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    I think Carrot would've had better chances of winning if she was alone. Teamups against a single enemy tend to end badly in One Piece.

Not to mention that, considering the amount of time that has passed since (Luffy was still in Level 1), her and Wanda's Sulongs should be on its last legs.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they no longer have their Sulongs.

Every other Mink lost theirs off camera as well.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Galleon Panthera View Post
    to go and pull a Usopp in which Luffy just simply tells Carrot to come on board at the end of the Wano Country arc because they are already nakama. That or Carrot asks to join at the end and he's fine with it,
    You've been too busy wondering if she could, that you just don't stop to wonder if she should.

What you're pushing for right there is about the most unstatisfactory, poorly written nakamization of all time, and one that it kinda works for a dozen characters because Luffy considers them nakama already, things aren't like this in One Piece, the one who has the "meh, more-or-less" case never joins, it's the one with the "holy-shit-look-at-that" case who actually joins.

Franky>Paulie
    Brook>Perona
    Jinbro>Shirahoshi

It always notable who gets the greatest attention as the arc keeps going on.

One thing I will say about the current state of affairs how it concerns the next potential crew mate , there's certainly an enormous amount of moving parts and potential candidates compared to previous years, where discussions were essentially will random character number A with boobs will join because we suffer from a severe lack of Nakama of the vaginal variety , or the ole classic "Which arc will Jinbe officially join" debates of yesteryear. Despite the irony of these potential candidates being female or trans speak volumes about how far this discussion has come.

"The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terror"

Yeah the super mode probably won't last long enough to seal a win. Well once they've ejected the minks from the main event i suppose a couple of them could band together and save their fellow minkettes.

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post

You've been too busy wondering if she could, that you just don't stop to wonder if she should.

What you're pushing for right there is about the most unstatisfactory, poorly written nakamization of all time, and one that it kinda works for a dozen characters because Luffy considers them nakama already, things aren't like this in One Piece, the one who has the "meh, more-or-less" case never joins, it's the one with the "holy-shit-look-at-that" case who actually joins.

Franky>Paulie
    Brook>Perona
    Jinbro>Shirahoshi

It always notable who gets the greatest attention as the arc keeps going on.
    She already got her stuff done in Whole Cake Island and in rapid fire. So to me, there's no real need to do more. Could it help? Sure. But ultimately, her entire character is in one point "simple". Its been done on purpose, for over many chapters. That is the entire point. You're focusing way too much on how super and great a new nakama should be. Its not a written rule, nor is it established. In other words, people are just SUPER overanalyzing, like a lot of people tend to do in the One Piece fandom in general.

Luffy himself, is also, at his very core, a super simple character, with a simple mind and simple powers. he's not a overblown, super ultimate badass captain with a super powerful OP DF. Despite this, I find Luffy super endearing and awesome even he lacks those traits. Same with Carrot, who is pretty much as simple as Usopp. Both came from small islands, both have, literally the most mundane, extremely simple dreams, and really, before recruitment, Usopp was also not anything super special as a character nor was his backstory anything to write home about, nor was his design anything special either. All these points is something that Carrot also shares, at least from what I have seen so far.

Comparing Carrot to someone like Jinbei makes no sense in this manner. Its literally comparing a ant to a elephant in this situation.

And yes, maybe its the most unstatisfactory, poorly written nakamization as you call it, but that is solely coming from the fans of the series. Perhaps Oda maybe just wants to do this. Who knows? I just tend to not overanalyse the story too much.

And seeing as Oda is still throwing around that he wants to finish up the story within 5 years time, there is likely no real time to go and focus too much on new nakamas super in depth at the level of Jinbei joining the crew. So things around new nakama have to be done in rapid fire, like how its being done apparently for Yamato. In terms with the 5 years, I'm like many here who also thinks that Wano is the last stop for any new nakama joining.

Whether its going to be Carrot or Yamato, I don't know. I will wait until the story itself tells me. Personally, I'd like for both to join, but that is likely not happening.

Unless Oda completely half asses and rushes the ending, he's not going to be done in 4 years and 160 chapters, (He said five years in 2019) no matter how much he wants to be. We've still probably got 7 years and 300 chapters left or so.

Unless he gets carried away in the final war and then all bets are off, but all signs point towards him wrapping in under a decade, so I wouldn't make any bets on 10+ years at this point.

How long he has left to showcase and develop a character isn't an issue currently. They could be at Elbaf and it'd still be fine overall. 300 chapters was all of East Blue, Alabasta, and Skypeia.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Are people voting Jinbe = last nakama just voting out of protest against years of nonsense suggestions ? I think Tama gets memed on for being Tama but at the end of the day I put Tama joining over Jinbe being the last when we had the 10 people seed early and during Dressrosa Blackbeard being revealed to have 10 Titanic Captains working under him. I mean these two things just seal the deal for me that at least 1 more is joining.

The problem I find with Carrot being a lookout is her lack of knowledge of the world, the weather, the seas and the powers that sail them.

Every time Carrot spots something strange or unknown she would have to consult with the crew. e.g. what pirate flag she spots or the type of unusual occurrences happening in the seas. Eventually such a gap in experience and knowledge would become...problematic. At least with Pedro when he was performing the role of lookout, he had prior experience with the sea and was aware of the different things he was looking out for.

Sure Carrot may carry out the role of "lookout" but her performance so far has been lacking and subpar. As Robby mentioned, even with Carrot aboard the Thousand Sunny, an Octopus still managed to sneak onto the Thousand Sunny. And when the Straw Hat Pirates sailed to Onigashima, Usopp was aware of what needed to be done and climbed to an elevated position on the ship to get a better view of any defenses the Island may have. This very act expresses how Carrot's lack of experience reduces her worth as a lookout. If Pedro was there, he would be doing what Usopp did thanks to experience and knowledge.

Carrot is easily distracted...and not as adept in the lookout role as other characters we have seen so far in the series which is a contrast to the how Oda has represented the current Straw Hat Pirates:
    • Luffy - future Pirate King with the ability to turn others into allies even enemies;
    • Zoro - one of the strongest Pirates and Swordsman in the world;
    • Nami - inhuman Navigator with a strange "sense";
    • Usopp - G o d / Sniper;
    • Sanji - expert chef whose cooking took Big Mom to wonderland and brought her to tears. In Sanji's intro arc, we seen his value as a chef;
    • Chopper - a great doctor that combines both heart and advanced medical skills;
    • Robin - one of the most accomplished historians in the world (the fact that the World Government wants her dead is testament to how great a historian she is);
    • Franky - insane shipwright who created a dream ship, constructed a Gundam and recreated Vegapunk's technology;
    • Brook - Soul King;
    • Jinbe - Helmsman like no other whose handling of the ship brings out the full potential of both Nami's navigational skills and the Thousand Sunny's capabilities.
      Note: the moment Oda made the definitive connection between Helmsman and Jinbe, he scripted a moment for Jinbe to be highlighted using a ship he never used before that does what no other ship can do, to escape a Yonko...
    In 196 chapters since Carrot's introduction, Oda has shown nothing so far to suggest that Carrot possess above average "lookout" abilities that surpasses others. Pedro and Usopp made better lookouts from how Oda portrayed them in the lookout role. At least with Jinbe's case, Oda never definitively connected Jinbe to a role until the Whole Cake Island arc. And in the space between Jinbe's introduction and his role reveal (350 chapters), Oda instead focused heavily on Jinbe's relation to Luffy, his relevance narratively (connection to Ace and Whitebeard, helping Luffy overcome his trauma, and his dream of co-existence), his capabilities as a tactician, negotiator and waterbender martial artist, and the type of person he is (wholesome and honourable). Even in Jinbe's intro arc when he was placed alongside Luffy, Crocodile, Buggy and Ivankov, Jinbe managed to keep up with the rest in terms of interest and excitement. Even when Hancock returned to the story during the Battle of Marineford, Jinbe didn't lose momentum as a potential Straw Hat Nakama, rather he gained support (post Ace death during the Battle of Marineford when Jinbe faced off against Sakazuki, that moment was when I began wanting Jinbe to be a Straw Hat Pirate). Whenever Jinbe was part of the story, he was the part of the main focus. Jinbe's road to becoming the Straw Hat Pirate Helmsman was indeed a long and slow-burn one but it was a very clear path with an obvious destination.

Carrot's journey is much more...unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Carrot's much vaunted superior jumping didn't get her there any faster. She wasn't motivated or inspired to get up there. She didn't volunteer or prove herself the best at the task. She just.. let Usopp do it.

If Oda was trying to prove a character's worth at a specific task, to show they're the best and deserve a spot on the ship purely from how good they are at that job, she failed that test badly.

Not to mention when she failed to notice the giant octopus or the fish the size of the ship.
    Oda seems to also have forgotten Carrot's jumping ability when he began the Wano Kuni arc.

Spoiler:

Even with Carrot's jumping abilities, Oda still had Carrot hold onto to Sanji who jumped to the shore. Oda could have easily had Carrot jump on Luffy's stomach and use the jump to head to shore herself but no, Oda chose to showcase Sanji being the more valuable jumper.

I still believe that one of BB's ten is Aokiji who will bail on them leaving a perfect match up for the realhats. No need for any spacefiller from Wano to be jammed in to the mix

I never put any emphasis on Carrot being a great lookout, and Im not about to start now. I do say, yes its a shame her jumping ability wasn't as emphasized, so that is a point against her in terms of physical skills. Doesn't take away she still is a good combatant, and no, Im not saying her skills are on Yonko Commander level, but its high enough she is capable of surviving and taking care of her own in battles within the New World.

Closed Thread

Thread Information