View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
368. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

189 51.36%
  • Shinobu

1 0.27%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc)

1 0.27%
  • Momo

9 2.45%
  • Tama

9 2.45%
  • Carrot

68 18.48%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 1.90%
  • Caribou

6 1.63%
  • Other

28 7.61%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

50 13.59%
Closed Thread
Page 158 of 506 FirstFirst ... 58 108 148 156 157 158 159 160 168 208 258 ... LastLast
Results 3,141 to 3,160 of 10112

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B. Decent View Post
    In that he is the first to explore and investigate an area, or the first to fight.
    Lets take that from Luffy and give it to someone else.

"There will be an answer, let it be."

Quote Originally Posted by Syphin View Post
    I like you .
    Anyway regarding Yamato, contrary to what others feel concerning Oden's journal being a "disqualifier", I actually believe Oden's journal is one of the strongest pieces of evidence supporting Yamato being a potential Straw Hat Pirate (there is also Ace). The journal serves as a tool Oda can use to bring the new character up to speed with what has happened in the 983 chapters before its introduction.
    Bring him up to speed on what exactly? That journal covers events that happened 20 years ago, not any of the present events that have happened since the series started. Or am I missing something?

I like you .

Monet has been my measuring stick for any new Straw Hat Pirate candidate since her coverage in Punk Hazard. I really like how Monet was written differently than Oda's usual treatment of female characters.

If the new character doesn't generate close to the level of interest Monet did for me, I'm not much interested in them.

Anyway regarding Yamato, contrary to what others feel concerning Oden's journal being a "disqualifier", I actually believe Oden's journal is one of the strongest pieces of evidence supporting Yamato being a potential Straw Hat Pirate (there is also Ace). The journal serves as a tool Oda can use to bring the new character up to speed with what has happened in the 983 chapters before its introduction.
    Thanks! I think monet has a moment for us in the future. Since Doflamingo says she had a difficult past with sugar... I think they have to meet again one day... Why oda will put a sister and a dramatic past in a secondary character...? Anyway, robin and nami have a special bond with monet. They are students. they use glasses some times, and luffy was in a jail when nami, robin and monet appears (with nami and buggy in the little jail, with robin in arabasta in the croco palace and monet in caesar laboratory), they have a women relative, they were in the past villians... And so many things like they had an evil nickname and the did bad things... (Nami the buglar, Monet the harpy, Robin the devil girl...) Well... I think yamato is now the favourite to join in the crew. She has more things in common with the rest than carrot. Carrot is not a bad character, of course... But yamato have more clues... Well, in my opinion. Yamato is the first place, monet the second place and carrot in the third place... (But i think that monet is about to appear again...). Thanks for read!
    Last edited by flagandhat; December 30th, 2020 at 06:11 PM. Reason: I made a mistake

I was referring to the:
    • "Will of D";
    • "Dawn";
    • "One Piece";
    • "Pirate King";
    • the significance of the Pirate King's death i.e. the age of piracy;
    • Wano's border's being open;
    • the significance of Wano;
    • the significance of Momonosuke;
    • the relevance of the Poneglyphs especially the Road Poneglyphs;
    • how the One Piece world is structured - four major seas and one very long narrow sea;
    • how vast the world is;
    • Skypiea's existence;
    • Water 7's existence;
    • Fish-Man Island existence;
    • Zou's existence;
    • Teach's existence e.g. the orphan that joined Whitebeard;
    • Shanks existence;
    • Buggy's existence;
    • Rayleigh's existence;
    • Orochi's schemes

All the important stuff. Yamato has been brought up to speed with the relevance of that.

No need to waste panels on explaining these things to Yamato.

All the news related events since two years ago will be covered by the newspapers Yamato read (e.g. Straw Hat Pirate related news).

Oden's Journal ties Yamato directly and deeply to the main themes/concepts/mysteries/end goals of the manga. As I said, I believe Oden's journal is one of the strongest pieces of evidence supporting Yamato being the next Straw Hat Pirate nakama.
    Last edited by Syphin; December 30th, 2020 at 06:24 PM.

Could Tama use the kokeshi dolls as poke balls?

I was referring to the:
    • "Will of D";
    • "Dawn";
    • "One Piece";
    • "Pirate King";
    • the significance of the Pirate King's death i.e. the age of piracy;
    • Wano's border's being open;
    • the significance of Wano;
    • the significance of Momonosuke;
    • the relevance of the Poneglyphs especially the Road Poneglyphs;
    • how the One Piece world is structured - four major seas and one very long narrow sea;
    • how vast the world is;
    • Skypiea's existence;
    • Water 7's existence;
    • Fish-Man Island existence;
    • Zou's existence;
    • Teach's existence e.g. the orphan that joined Whitebeard;
    • Shanks existence;
    • Buggy's existence;
    • Rayleigh's existence;
    • Orochi's schemes

All the important stuff. Yamato has been brought up to speed with the relevance of that.

No need to waste panels on explaining these things to Yamato.

All the news related events since two years ago will be covered by the newspapers Yamato read (e.g. Straw Hat Pirate related news).

Oden's Journal ties Yamato directly and deeply to the main themes/concepts/mysteries/end goals of the manga. As I said, I believe Oden's journal is one of the strongest pieces of evidence supporting Yamato being the next Straw Hat Pirate nakama.
    From a historical standpoint, perhaps. I can't see yet another historical expert joining when we already have Robin and Jinbe, though. Between the two, they know enough, but not too much. You could also say that Oden documented too much, which, again, would conflict with Luffy's desire to explore things on his own.

I don't see how Oda could portray that convincingly with Yamato. Like, yeah, I read about this in Oden's journal, but I'm going to pretend that I didn't. It could be that Oden didn't really know what he was seeing at the time, so wrote things cryptically, but it would still depend on how Oda could portray this convincingly without pissing off Luffy.

Robin already knows all the spoilers and people involved for when they inevitably get caught up in the stuff with Dragon's revolutionaries, but it's not a big deal. Heck, she's probably pieced together a lot of the history but hasn't really talked about it. Does anyone in the crew but her know about Poseidon?

Hell, she didn't even tell Luffy that Sabo was alive.

So one of the characters knowing SOME spoilers isn't a big deal as long as they don't know ALL the spoilers.

Also, for all that Yamato treasured the journal, what if, like Luffy, upon getting to the part about Raftel went "no, I don't want to know about this part!" and always skipped to the ending?

Probably skipped over the parts where Oden talked about his sex life too.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

What if Yamato is a womanizer too but actually one that women are drawn to unlike Sanji.

Oh, you mean what if Yamato wants to be cousins with someone?
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

We'll just have to see then. Yamato doesn't strike me as the Luffy type. He idolized Oden, so much so that he took on the mantle of being him in every way possible. I have a hard time believing that someone that committed to being Oden would intentionally ignore or skip events that helped make Kozuki Oden who he was. He strikes me as the type of person who would want to know every detail about Oden's life. Sex, Laugh Tale, and everything in between. As for the spoilers, yeah. I'll concede that it's possible. It just gets harder as a reader to play dumb like the characters would have to. "Oh. I didn't know that this thing that happened to Oden would also happen to us!"

Quote Originally Posted by Berry Rich View Post
    Aren't apprentices generally on the younger side? Yamato seems to be pushing the "age limit" for this role.

Shanks and Buggy: 12-15
    Inuarashi and Nekomamushi: 14
    Marco: ??-19
    Kaido: ??
    Blackbeard: 14-??

Tama and Momo: 8
    Carrot: 15
    Yamato: 28

Big Mom is 68 and was around 30 during the God Valley incident. Kaido, being like a little brother, seems like he is in his 50s which would put his age during the God Valley incident between the 12-19 age range.

Yamato may be better suited to having a defined role like Chronicler or Ship Guard.

Plus one could argue Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, and Chopper were "Pirate Apprentices" on the Going Merry adventures. They all fit between the 12-19 age range and knew next to nothing about being a pirate on the Grand Line.
    Youngest we saw Shanks and Buggy were 9, so 9-15, but they were most likely even younger when they joined the crew.
    And Marco was 15 when WB arrived at Wano.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthAsthma View Post
    I'm going to offend Solid and claim that between Tama/Momo/Carrot/Yamato the one that would fit the apprentice role the most by attitude is Carrot.

I reject judging by purely age.
    Very offended indeed I think the positions complements her goal and being a kunoichi in training, never bought into the whole “shinobu needs to teach her” bs, this isn’t naruto.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Oh, you mean what if Yamato wants to be cousins with someone?
    This reference flies over my head RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Solid View Post
    Very offended indeed I think the positions complements her goal and being a kunoichi in training, never bought into the whole “shinobu needs to teach her” bs, this isn’t naruto.
    Shinobu doesn't but Raizou should!

Yeah I'm vaguely on the Yamato train but "Apprentice" role is a huge stretch. Even if Yamato is 100% clueless about sailing... so is Luffy. And Chopper still plays the innocent naive role despite all the time that's passed. And Yamato is older than half the crew so it'd be weird.

"Ship Guard" is an awful idea too. Implies they have to be the one that stays and watches the ship no matter what. No adventures for them!

Rather than just rotating who is there at any given time like they always have.
    A "Ship Guard" doesn't necessarily have to be confined to watching the ship and missing out on adventures. If said crewmate had a DF which allowed them to watch the ship while adventuring on an island then it shouldn't be a problem. Devil Fruits like Viola's Glare Fruit, Kuma's Paw Fruit, or Enel's Rumble Fruit are good examples of abilities which allow long distance observation.

Merry and Sunny have been put in bad situations because they lacked a dedicated protector. Yamato has shown to be a strong protector of people like Momo and Shinobu. But unless Yamato's Zoan DF is capable of feats equivalent of the fruits I mentioned then Yamato should not be the "Ship Guard" because that would limit Yamato's adventures off the ship.
    Bounty: 382M Quirks: High Places | Garchu
    Roles: Ship Guard | Ship's Cat | Lookout
    Clues: Ch 175 | Statue | Foxy Flag | Paw DF
    Dreams: Travel w/ PK | The Dawn
    Survival: Moon Resurrection | Will of P

Quote Originally Posted by DarthAsthma View Post
    This reference flies over my head RIP
    The english dub of Sailor Moon covered up all examples of lesbians by making them "cousins".

And if they were gay guys the more femmy one got a sex change.

The english dub of Sailor Moon covered up all examples of lesbians by making them "cousins". And if they were gay guys the more femmy one got a sex change.
    Oh of course. Thx I just wasn't connecting it to that.

Canīt imagine that there is big reveals in the journal, the danger of it getting into wrong hands or that they guys who are supposed to surpass Roger and Oden would get spoilered is too big.
    Also canīt imagine Momo and the scabbards learning about anything crucial before the Strawhats do.

Considering Oden discovered the secrets of the world along with Roger, he would be aware of why the information the ancient civilisation knew wasn't openly shared and instead kept behind the text of the Poneglyphs that not anyone could read.

Just as Roger didn't reveal the secrets of world during his execution. Just as the rest of the Roger Pirates didn't reveal the secrets of the world. I don't believe Oden would have revealed the secrets of the world either verbally or through his journal.

Roger and Rayleigh knew the secrets of the world needed to be uncovered naturally through the journey. Oden would have felt the same which would have extended to what he wrote in his journal. Oden would have omitted the complete story of the Ancient Civilisation and only covered the brief details of his adventure and their discovery. The fact that Oden was resolved to opening the borders of Wano once he returned, he knew just like Roger what was at stake. I genuinely don't see Oden risking the Roger Pirates efforts by revealing all the secrets of the world in the journal.

Oden included just enough information in his journal to help guide the next generation (such as Momonosuke and Hiyori and those who would inherit Joy Boy/Roger's will) to completing what "Joy Boy" started.
    Last edited by Syphin; December 31st, 2020 at 02:12 AM.

So what's the role that is being suggested for Yamato? "Ship Guard"? Seems non-sensical to me.
    a "lookout" is more realistic and the only character shown to repeatedly fill that role is Carrot. just like how Jinbe was shown to be a helmsman many times before he joined.

Honestly not many archtypical roles remain to be filled, but Carrot has a better claim than Yamato, role wise.

I don't like her though, I feel she doesn't add an interesting dynamic to the crew in terms of personality.

It might be better off if Jinbe is the last one, Oda has a tough time juggling between the Straw Hats before Jinbe joined, the intimacy the crew had is no longer there... It's why Oda keeps seperating them in each arc to give each better panel-time. As a result they don't interact as often as before.

For example, how many times did Zoro and Franky interact? 3 times? 1? ZERO?? I can't remember if they even spoke to each other in the past 700 chapters or so.

It has gotten pretty bad.

Want to see the Colored Manga Chapters in English? Support Snir in his endeavor by DONATING: http://sniraharon.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by YoiYoi View Post
    a "lookout" is more realistic and the only character shown to repeatedly fill that role is Carrot.
    Pedro and Chopper also did that job at Cake land.

And the instant Usopp was back on the ship he took over that duty. He and Carrot were both at the bottom of the mast, enemies approached... and Usopp was the one at the top doing the looking.

Carrot's much vaunted superior jumping didn't get her there any faster. She wasn't motivated or inspired to get up there. She didn't volunteer or prove herself the best at the task. She just.. let Usopp do it.

If Oda was trying to prove a character's worth at a specific task, to show they're the best and deserve a spot on the ship purely from how good they are at that job, she failed that test badly.

Not to mention when she failed to notice the giant octopus or the fish the size of the ship.

Quote Originally Posted by YoiYoi View Post
    It might be better off if Jinbe is the last one, Oda has a tough time juggling between the Straw Hats before Jinbe joined, the intimacy the crew had is no longer there... It's why Oda keeps seperating them in each arc to give each better panel-time. As a result they don't interact as often as before.

For example, how many times did Zoro and Franky interact? 3 times? 1? ZERO?? I can't remember if they even spoke to each other in the past 700 chapters or so.

It has gotten pretty bad.
    I understand what you're saying, because it's true, but I'm not sure if the reason is the amount of Strawhats. It's just how Oda writes his manga nowadays, focusing just as much in a myriad of other big shots and islanders (way more in numbers than in the past), and a deeper more complicated plot, and maybe not caring as much to find meaningful roles or simple interactions for the main crew. Obviously, if the crew had only 5 characters like in East Blue, then it would be hard for anyone to go ignored even today, but the bigger crew was working well before Oda made the scope of his manga more ambitious.

So we're in a position that either (a) this trend of few crew interactions will continue regardless of new crewmates because the endgame post-Wano will be busy and content-heavy, or (b) until the final battle the amount of side characters will scale down for a more intimate journey to find the last Road Poneglyph and to go to Laugh Tale. In case of "a", I don't think a new crewmate would make anything worse. In case of "b", I can see these arcs working even better with an additional crewmate, although not essential.

Btw, on another note, as a Carrot supporter (whose momentum/chances are going down), I find it funny that first you said that she doesn't add any interesting dynamic to the crew, and then you complained that "the intimacy the crew had is no longer there". One of the reasons why I'd like her in the crew is that WCI nailed oldschool Strawhat intimacy (more than any other post-timeskip arc), and Carrot was very much a part of that. I won't argue too much here because you had to feel it in order to understand it, and most people already forgot all the nice little moments of camaraderie, goofiness and affection between her and the crew.

Closed Thread

Thread Information