View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
288. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

135 46.88%
  • Shinobu

1 0.35%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc.)

1 0.35%
  • Momo

8 2.78%
  • Tama

7 2.43%
  • Carrot

60 20.83%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 2.43%
  • Caribou

4 1.39%
  • Other

23 7.99%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

42 14.58%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 139 of 243 FirstFirst ... 39 89 129 137 138 139 140 141 149 189 239 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,780 of 4858

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Man these posts sure do feel familiar.

Just fyi I never said Yamato didn't have a memorable or good design but I find it disingenuous to act like Yamato has all these points around unique design and unique characterization and unique moveset, etc but then say that Carrot doesn't have that. Yeah, Yamato had Nami face at the start and Oda has gone through the steps to not make him have that anymore but Carrot never had that problem. Carrot's combat is also not like anyone else's on the crew either and neither is her personality.

It just feels like a lot of people in this thread who are pro-Yamato will praise Yamato for all these aspects and then act like Carrot doesn't have them when that is objectively not true. As someone who wants both Carrot and Yamato to join, I think they both have plenty of points going for them to become Straw Hats and both can fit into the crew dynamic while both also have a good reason to join. But equally, both have reasons why they could easily just end up as Straw Hat allies or Grand Fleet members instead. I don't think it has to be one or the other personally but if it has to be, it can go either way.

Team no one else is still taking on new applicants.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Team no one else is still taking on new applicants.
    I am honestly preferring this route. Feels like the current crew size is plenty.

The one thing throwing it all off is the whole "get a crew of 10" thing. If we really need Luffy + 10, I feel like it should be Vivi. Maybe something bad happened at the Levely to her dad/country and she turns to her old friends to help, setting up another reasons to battle the WG in the endgame.

There was always going to be 10 outside Luffy. That's what the chapters numbering the nakama show. It wasn't going to end at Jinbe. Whether the 10th is Carrot, Yamato, or Vivi, the plan was that there was going to be 11 Straw Hats in total. That shouldn't have been contested.

Yet it was, and is, and will remain as long as i can draw breath on this earth.

Team no one else til the bitter end. Salty hater 4 life yo!

The discussion has been going in circles for some time.

And I still think no one is going to join in Wano besides Jinbe.

If anyone, then Yamato, not because I feel anything special about him/her, but but because he/she is the character that has the potential for growth and exposure. I think Carrot is heading for the conclusion of her arc, and Tama never had a chance to begin with.

Some time ago, I said the chances were "30% and decreasing" for Carrot, "5% and increasing" for Yamato and "1% and stable" for Tama. The only one I think may be changing for the better is Yamato's, but it's still too little to tell.
    No, I'm not back. I never left. It's just that it has been a long time since I had something to say.

Quote Originally Posted by black-leg jex View Post
    Just fyi I never said Yamato didn't have a memorable or good design but I find it disingenuous to act like Yamato has all these points around unique design
    Rainbow hair gradient isn't something Oda has readily given out before. That manages to encompass all three colors the strawhats are missing once you add the horns. It's pretty unique. If Oda was picturing that all along other details get more of a pass because that is *really* stand out..

Yeah, Yamato had Nami face at the start and Oda has gone through the steps to not make him have that anymore but Carrot never had that problem.
    She has Chopper face instead. It's the same problem.

If Carrot was a boy, not a single person would have been rooting for her when we already have CHopper.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I find that a bit questionable. The mouth is the same, but the rest is not. She doesn't have the same nose or eyes and Chopper has no eyelashes.

I'd also argue that her problem is not a Chopper face but her being generally plain. She's an anthropomorphic rabbit with a bob cut, short dress, cape and boots. That's it. No intricate details to hint at her past, nothing that, to me, speaks "Oda spent a lot of time on her design". Her appearance is especially lackluster when compared to her immediate predecessors Franky, Brook and Jinbei. I really can't understand why people would say that she and Yamato have equally thoughtful designs.

Agreed. Just because they're both cute animal people doesn't mean they have exactly the same face in the way Nami-face syndrome has.

Discovered Stowaway Dorobō Neko's Avatar

Carrot from the get-go has too much overlap with Chopper. From being a cute animal design to being young and naive in terms of character. She is the cute animal sidekick. Again.

That's good enough to be a marketing side character for kids, sure. Not good enough to be a crewmember nor have the emotional weight as Vivi did as the sole character to be a crewmember but not in the crew proper.

And to me it's not even a matter of vs Yamato. It's a matter of vs all the other Straw Hats. Brook uses a sword and is a perv but is nothing at all like Zoro or Sanji. Carrot would just be another Chopper. And Chopper is the one who needs more character moments, not Carrot. lol

Yeah no I don't think Carrot's design is terribly inspired. Maybe unique, but that's because Oda didn't bother make more than one mink for each species of animal. All in all she lacks any distinct features besides "is a bunny".

Yamato has the hair color, the combination with the horn, the huge height, the choice of weapon. She is a hybrid of Oden and Kaido and while that is based on other things, the combination itself is unique. There is no one in the One Piece world like Yamato. There is an entire tribe like Carrot.

Yamato seems way quirkier and funnier, too. Carrot was quirky for exactly one chapter when she first joined the WCI crew, then she became a sidekick for Chopper. Yamato keeps showing new gags, strengths, weaknesses, etc. She is overflowing with character design. She is cuurently looking like the most important character in Wano besides Kaido, give or take.

Ability wise the difference is even clearer. Yamato has the Kaido fighting style, an unique DF, and may have Oden things too. Carrot has a fighting style that all the other minks have too, a transformation that all the other minks have too and... I guess she can hop. Because she is a rabbit. Which is her only distinct character feature.

At least Chopper attempted to add novelty with the rumble ball, the doctor thing, the monster thing, the personality trait of not wanting to be praised, the freaking blue nose. There is more originality in the "reindeer with a blue nose" concept than in tne entirety of Carrot's character. It is more sentences than "bunny person", at least.

My problem with Carrot is the same it's always been; I don't find her interesting in the slightest. Yes, she can be shoved into the general framework of a nakama, but beyond that, she's just so painfully shallow as far as actual depth of character goes. Pretty much every aspect of her character; from her backstory, to her motivations, to her fighting style, to her personal relationships is just so painfully shallow. She was shallow in WCI, and she's remained shallow all throughout Wano.

I look at how Oda has written her so far, and I find hard to believe he's building her up as a crewmate when he shows no interest in investing in any of this stuff. It's especially damning considering we're in the climax of arc where she is supposedly joining according to her supporters, and she's still as shallow as she was in WCI.

With Jinbei I was engaged with him because Oda put immediate effort into developing his motivations, his backstory, his personal relationships and showing us why we should care about him. With Carrot I don't get any of that, she's just there. You can ride that one scene with Pedro all you want, but unless I see some real investment in her from Oda, I don't see her story continuing with the crew. Anything left for her can easily be wrapped up without joining.

The top 3 candidates have their pros and cons.

1) Yamato clearly has the lead.
    + Connection to Ace
    + Unknown Zoan Devil Fruit
    + Connection to Main Bad Guy
    + Unique Weapon among Strawhats
    + Hair Color
    - Nami Face
    - No apparent ship role
    - "Mentor" Oden have no personal connection

2) Carrot needs to really shine against Perospero
    + Female Brawler
    + Fits Lookout role
    + Familiar with multiple Strawhats
    + Unique Weapon among Strawhats
    - Design lacks details that tell a story
    - "Mentor" "died" in present not in flashback
    - Currently a background character

3) Tama needs to step up her ninja skills ASAP
    + Connection to Ace
    + Beast Tamer
    + Connection to Main Bad Guy
    - Too young
    - Low combat ability

Even though I will always be Team Pedro, at least Yamato is making a good case. I'm just ready for the 11th!
    Bounty: 382 M Quirks: High Places | Garchu
    Roles: Shipguard | Ship's Cat | Lookout
    Clues: Ch 175 | Statue | Foxy Flag | Paw
    Dreams: Travel w/ Pirate King | Treetops
    Survival: Moon Resurrection | Will of P

Still think we’ve yet to meet the last crewmate

And when will the last crewmate show if not Wano? I don't see someone joining in Elbaf as this is where the Giants will take center stage. So only place that still gives a new crewmate time to showcase their past and skills is Emerald City where Vegapunk resides, I think.
    Bounty: 382 M Quirks: High Places | Garchu
    Roles: Shipguard | Ship's Cat | Lookout
    Clues: Ch 175 | Statue | Foxy Flag | Paw
    Dreams: Travel w/ Pirate King | Treetops
    Survival: Moon Resurrection | Will of P

Lookout is not going to be a job as long as all the Straw Hats have eyes.

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

I can't really think Yamato has anything useful in the way of nautical, mirroring her idol. I guess she's the crew's Combatant?

That or Chronicler would fit.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information