View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
275. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

125 45.45%
  • Shinobu

1 0.36%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc.)

1 0.36%
  • Momo

8 2.91%
  • Tama

7 2.55%
  • Carrot

58 21.09%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 2.55%
  • Caribou

4 1.45%
  • Other

22 8.00%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

42 15.27%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 129 of 204 FirstFirst ... 29 79 119 127 128 129 130 131 139 179 ... LastLast
Results 2,561 to 2,580 of 4070

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Quote Originally Posted by SeaOfHope View Post
    How do you realize something you don't know?
    How does she realize helping the Strawhats is more important than revenge? Are you serious?

Pedro told her what to do, now would've been her chance to remember that and ignore Perospero... but what does she do?
    She says f*ck it and leaves them.

"There will be an answer, let it be."

Quote Originally Posted by Zhenja View Post
    How does she realize helping the Strawhats is more important than revenge? Are you serious?

Pedro told her what to do, now would've been her chance to remember that and ignore Perospero... but what does she do?
    She says f*ck it and leaves them.
    She said it herself. Pedro's sacrifice is what has brought her to this battle with Perospero to begin with and she is slowly trying to understand what the intent behind it is. Besides, you act like she's not gonna have another chance to regroup with the crew during or post battle. The stage is just being set. Till we actually get the fights going, it's best to not make presumptuous judgment calls. It's not like everything is going to be shown immediately.

Perospero just can't catch a break. First some dong blows himself up on his arm and now people are face stabbing him over what the mad bomber did. I mean sure he looks like a full on candy rapist but even he could get cut a break some times

She said it herself. Pedro's sacrifice is what has brought her to this battle with Perospero to begin with and she is slowly trying to understand what the intent behind it is.
    Did you even read what I replied to, or are you just blindly defending Carrot?

Besides, you act like she's not gonna have another chance to regroup with the crew during or post battle. The stage is just being set. Till we actually get the fights going, it's best to not make presumptuous judgment calls. It's not like everything is going to be shown immediately.
    This has nothing to do with regrouping with the crew, or what ever. It's about her leaving them at a crucial moment...

At this moment she should've realized that her revenge isn't important, but helping the Strawhats is... as Pedro told her to do...
    Her realizing this after she got her revenge is too late, because this would have less impact to her as a character...

Those short moments define characters, this moment would've been great for her, but she messed up, like it or not.
    The day will come when you have to accept that she's not going to join, it'll be better to make your peace with it...

The Tetsuo Ishimaru of AP Gizmo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    Two different things you are equating to one, at least seems like to me.
    One is definitely about Wa No only, meaning beating Kaidou and opening up the country. Like Yamato said, she took it upon herself to open up the country against her father since Momo and the Scabbards died, so become the new representative on that part. That is dead at this point, or rather since Momo and the Scabbards are alive, she is just another one to carry Oden´s will in that regard rather than be the only one, with Momo being in the central position.
    The second part of being Oden is about the adventure and being part of the crew to reach Raftel though, and Momo has not once shown any inclination towards that, unlike Yamato who literally demanded to board the ship. It´s not technically about inheriting Oden´s will but rather being Oden, wanting to be Oden that lived through those adventures. The thing that is missing right now for that angle is Yamato recognizing that Luffy is the one carrying Joy Boy´s will. I am pretty sure Oden wrote about that in his journal that Yamato read.

Third thing is the dawn that ties into everything. And from what everything that has been said so far, this is the best interpretation, correct me if i´m wrong:

- Luffy is carrying Joy Boy´s will (we basically learned that in Fishman Island already)
    - Momo is carrying Oden´s will, and also with that the Kozuki clan´s will
    - For the dawn to happen, Wa No needs to be open, so that Joy Boy equivalent will get to Wa No and can work with the Kozuki clan. The country was closed by the Kozuki clan to stay safe from the World Government, but now that the time is ready (for example with Poseidon´s birth), Wa No and Kozuki clan needs to prepare for JB´s equivalent
    - Momo, as last Kozuki basically, has to guide the world to the dawn, that´s what Yamato said in the latest chapter.

From all that, i gather that whatever Momo must do (i would argue something to do with Zou the least, probably more), is different from what Luffy as JB´s inheritor has to do.

To summarize briefly, whatever Momo as Kozuki inheritor has to do for the dawn has nothing to do with Yamato wanting to be Oden or be like Oden and travel with Luffy. The thing missing from that right now is Yamato recognizing that Luffy is not just a substitute for Ace (as Roger´s son, since Yamato as Oden wanted to travel with Ace and since he died, uses Luffy as substitute) but the essential guy as JB 2.0, besides the usual shenanigans of flashback and the like, though technically Jinbe did not have a pure personal flashback either, so Oda might scrap that at this point.
    I’m equating the two because ghere’s The chance that the two are related. Yamato did want to fulfill Oden’s will and see the world. If he truly wanted to fulfill Oden’s will, why wasn’t his first desire to overthrow Orochi? Why was he also opposed to being the new leader of Wano when given the opportunity even though as leader he’d likely be in the best position to open up Wano’s borders? Keep in mind, this was before knowing the Scabbards and Momo were alive. There’s more at play here than just being at Wano that seems to be needed that involves traveling outside Wano’s borders to fulfill Oden’s will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing
    Stay focused, cause right now you have a decision to make. Are you a man perpetually looking back at what he’s lost, or a man looking forward, to what he might become?

Did you even read what I replied to, or are you just blindly defending Carrot?

This has nothing to do with regrouping with the crew, or what ever. It's about her leaving them at a crucial moment...

At this moment she should've realized that her revenge isn't important, but helping the Strawhats is... as Pedro told her to do...
    Her realizing this after she got her revenge is too late, because this would have less impact to her as a character...

Those short moments define characters, this moment would've been great for her, but she messed up, like it or not.
    The day will come when you have to accept that she's not going to join, it'll be better to make your peace with it...
    Nah, it's not up to me or you to decide when she should have figured it out. The thing is she is and that's the determining factor at hand and has always been that since she found out from Pedro. Putting arbitrary deadlines on her discovery isn't changing that. So she still has ample time to know that between here and resolution of this arc. And when that time comes, that will decide her course in the story, like I've said before.

It's not a matter of if, just when.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    I’m equating the two because ghere’s The chance that the two are related. Yamato did want to fulfill Oden’s will and see the world. If he truly wanted to fulfill Oden’s will, why wasn’t his first desire to overthrow Orochi? Why was he also opposed to being the new leader of Wano when given the opportunity even though as leader he’d likely be in the best position to open up Wano’s borders? Keep in mind, this was before knowing the Scabbards and Momo were alive. There’s more at play here than just being at Wano that seems to be needed that involves traveling outside Wano’s borders to fulfill Oden’s will.
    He was though?
    The first thing she says is this, basically saying she wants to open the country, hence fight on their side, and then follow Luffy to see the world.

Spoiler:

And in the next chapter, she says this, basically since she is Oden now, and Luffy is related to Ace, he is supposed to let her on his ship, basically to do the same as Oden and go out to the sea.

Spoiler:

She never implied that going out to sea is part of Oden´s will for Wa No, the dawn and all that is related to it, she says it as someone who wants to be Oden who got to go to sea and has seen all that he wrote down in his journal.
    I mean sure, there could technically be something else that needs to be done, but this was neither implied, nor would it be appropriate if you ask me at this point when we are so close to the end, maybe that´s just me.

So following the dialogue strictly, she says Red Scabbards and Momo dead -> she needs to carry Oden´s will -> she will open the country against her father.
    And Yama clearly says she has challenged her father many times, and was beaten many times and then put into prison and shackles.
    So far, carrying Oden´s will has always been about opening up the country (see also Zou), articulated at his execution that the Scabbards and Yama witnessed.

It's not a matter of if, just when.
    So why can't it be the moment when she saw Perospero? Why did she put revenge before Strawhats?

So why can't it be the moment when she saw Perospero? Why did she put revenge before Strawhats?
    The confrontation was inevitable and the narrative set it up as so. I'm curious to see where it goes. As we saw, she's still contemplating about Pedro's words, so I can only assume there's something she's meant to discover. I don't see beating Perospero help her in understanding the Dawn, but I can only assume it just inches her closer to the Grand scheme of things.

Besides, she was already helping out the Straw Hats (kinda) before heading out to fight Perospero. I've said it before, Carrot in the narrative has the leeway to just do whatever she wants and when the story addresses that, the better we know why she does the things she does

I don't think Yamato is a tiger because Who is Who is probably taking that niche (sabertooth tiger).

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Perospero just can't catch a break. First some dong blows himself up on his arm and now people are face stabbing him over what the mad bomber did. I mean sure he looks like a full on candy rapist but even he could get cut a break some times
    I like that Oda practically put that in the chapter.

One of the most relevant aspects to Yamato's character is her being aware of Luffy for over three years since her encounter with Ace. Yamato has known about Luffy longer than any of the other Straw Hat Pirates. Back when she met Ace, Yamato wanted to join him on his ship but was overwhelmed by fear to make the leap. Ever since that moment, she has been waiting for Luffy, confident that he will arrive in Wano Kuni. Yamato has shown belief in Luffy for three years without even having directly met him. And along with using "Oden" as a source of strength to keep her fears at bay, she has also relied on the eventual meeting with Luffy as a "hope" to continue forward. Contrary to how Kaido views Luffy, Yamato has fate that Luffy is able to defeat her father and assist in opening the borders of Wano Kuni. I don't think such a belief can be discounted so easily.

Not only has Yamato been waiting for Luffy but as illustrated in this chapter (996) she has been conscientiously following their journey. Yamato is aware of the Straw Hat Pirate members, their nicknames and their bounties. Even their recent actions within Dressrosa, Yamato knows about it. Normally that may not be so impressive but this is Wano Kuni we are talking about, a closed border country where very little information about the outside world enters. Yamato did not freely come across such information. She likely had to put in serious effort to acquire any newspapers or information brought in from the outside world by the Beast Pirates. Such commitment from Yamato regarding the Straw Hat Pirates expresses her interest, esteem and admiration for and in them. The extent to which Yamato is "involved" only adds to Yamato's importance and potential chances in joining the Straw Hat Pirates because it reduces the amount of time needed for Yamato to familiarise herself with the Straw Hat Pirates, their adventures and their objectives. Yamato can hit the ground running as a Straw Hat Pirate if need be (important at this stage of the story).

Spoiler:

For someone who is so in awe at individuals who lead adventurous lives and in the stories detailing such, I honestly cannot see Yamato remaining on Wano Kuni after the arc. Whether it is through the Straw Hat Pirates, as a representative of Momonosuke (Wano Kuni) or as a mere adventurer, Yamato will journey outside the border of Wano Kuni and explore the world. The wonders that reinforced her conviction and expanded her dreams will ultimately have substance added to.

And if Yamato does end up joining the Straw Hat Pirates, Ace would be indirectly responsible for such an outcome by inspiring Yamato with his stories of Luffy. As if a final gift from Ace, a new friend he was able to introduce to his little brother from three years ago. Just as Luffy has become closely connected to Tama because of her relation to Ace, the same is happening with Luffy and Yamato.

Narratively, there is just so much going for Yamato. Her potential is immense and my excitement for her is only growing the more Oda focuses on her. To know we have more on her past (mother), trauma, darkness, relations (Marco and Kaido), attack style (she will wield a sword/swords), transformation and dream (adventure, dawn, freedom) to look forward to, how marvelously exhilarating.

As for Yamato's design, I also find it appealing. Personally, I would have preferred if Yamato had a more monstrous/non-human design (like Monet whose design I love). But with Oda teasing the readers to a potential transformation from Yamato, I really do wonder if Oda has a more beastly design for Yamato already planned. I also look forward to Big Mom's meeting with Yamato. They haven't met yet but when she meets Yamato, will Yamato's appearance and unique race (part Ancient Giant? Oni?) appeal to Big Mom's fascination such as with the non-human Straw Hat Pirate members (Brook, Jinbe, Chopper, Franky).

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon D. Luffy View Post
    I don't think Yamato is a tiger because Who is Who is probably taking that niche (sabertooth tiger).
    I have been entertaining the possibility that Who's Who has the Ryu Ryu no Mi, Model: Pawpawsaurus (following the neko theme Who's Who has going and the dinosaur theme the Tobiroppo has). For Sasaki, the Ryu Ryu no Mi, Model: Torosaurus.

Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    The desire to bring the dawn was impressed upon Carrot by Pedro. He said she would understand why he had to die, why the Straw Hats had to live instead. That's not headcannon, it's foreshadowing. What I also believe, the part you may disagree with, is that there's a very good reason why she hasn't yet talked about the dawn in regards to herself.

Now, I recently noticed an interesting tweet from Joy Boy (the YouTuber): https://twitter.com/JoyBoyTheories/s...157583874?s=19

I was wondering before 995 whether Carrot would confront Big Mom as well as Peros, since she's just as responsible for Pedro's fate. When that didn't happen, I didn't think too much of it. But that tweet kind of turned the whole idea of needing to confront anyone on it's head for me.

Right now, Carrot is fighting in the name of Pedro, to take vengeance on his behalf. But that isn't what Pedro wanted. He didn't have those bombs ready simply to defeat Peros, Tamago, BM or any one enemy. He was only ever after the successful arrival of the dawn, and he wanted Carrot to understand that his survival would not necessarily make it come to be.

Pedro knew that the Straw Hats were the ones who needed to escape Tottoland. He said that Carrot would someday understand why. I think Carrot will start understanding during her fight with Peros that Pedro didn't die because of any one person, and that her revenge won't bring the dawn any closer, either.

I don't believe Oda made Carrot as present as she was, for nearly 200 chapters, to simply be a tool for revenge. I think he had her and Wanda face off with Peros here and now for a deeper reason, one intrinsically linked to the dawn Pedro sought.

What I believe Carrot will realize is this: she shouldn't be fighting to avenge Pedro. She should be fighting to help her friends the Straw Hats. That change in thinking is what will set her on the path to bringing the dawn Pedro gave his life for, alongside the Straw Hats.
    That only let us all in the same state we've been since forever of 'constantly waiting'.

It would be weird if Carrot/Wanda actually win, while everyone else is losing their battles, and with no SH's around!, Jeez, is Luffy ever gon see her Sulong(?)

Since the Sulong its limited, and Peros is too strong, I would say she's gonna get trapped in candy, to drag her moment a little longer and at a moment where most of all official versuses are happening. Right now, it does seem like inevitable defeat.

Weren´t Tobi Roppo supposed to be all dinosaurs?

Quote Originally Posted by Syphin View Post
    One of the most relevant aspects to Yamato's character is her being aware of Luffy for over three years since her encounter with Ace. Yamato has known about Luffy longer than any of the other Straw Hat Pirates. Back when she met Ace, Yamato wanted to join him on his ship but was overwhelmed by fear to make the leap. Ever since that moment, she has been waiting for Luffy, confident that he will arrive in Wano Kuni. Yamato has shown belief in Luffy for three years without even having directly met him. And along with using "Oden" as a source of strength to keep her fears at bay, she has also relied on the eventual meeting with Luffy as a "hope" to continue forward. Contrary to how Kaido views Luffy, Yamato has fate that Luffy is able to defeat her father and assist in opening the borders of Wano Kuni. I don't think such a belief can be discounted so easily.

Not only has Yamato been waiting for Luffy but as illustrated in this chapter (996) she has been conscientiously following their journey. Yamato is aware of the Straw Hat Pirate members, their nicknames and their bounties. Even their recent actions within Dressrosa, Yamato knows about it. Normally that may not be so impressive but this is Wano Kuni we are talking about, a closed border country where very little information about the outside world enters. Yamato did not freely come across such information. She likely had to put in serious effort to acquire any newspapers or information brought in from the outside world by the Beast Pirates. Such commitment from Yamato regarding the Straw Hat Pirates expresses her interest, esteem and admiration for and in them. The extent to which Yamato is "involved" only adds to Yamato's importance and potential chances in joining the Straw Hat Pirates because it reduces the amount of time needed for Yamato to familiarise herself with the Straw Hat Pirates, their adventures and their objectives. Yamato can hit the ground running as a Straw Hat Pirate if need be (important at this stage of the story).

For someone who is so in awe at individuals who lead adventurous lives and in the stories detailing such, I honestly cannot see Yamato remaining on Wano Kuni after the arc. Whether it is through the Straw Hat Pirates, as a representative of Momonosuke (Wano Kuni) or as a mere adventurer, Yamato will journey outside the border of Wano Kuni and explore the world. The wonders that reinforced her conviction and expanded her dreams will ultimately have substance added to.

And if Yamato does end up joining the Straw Hat Pirates, Ace would be indirectly responsible for such an outcome by inspiring Yamato with his stories of Luffy. As if a final gift from Ace, a new friend he was able to introduce to his little brother from three years ago. Just as Luffy has become closely connected to Tama because of her relation to Ace, the same is happening with Luffy and Yamato.

Narratively, there is just so much going for Yamato. Her potential is immense and my excitement for her is only growing the more Oda focuses on her. To know we have more on her past (mother), trauma, darkness, relations (Marco and Kaido), attack style (she will wield a sword/swords), transformation and dream (adventure, dawn, freedom) to look forward to, how marvelously exhilarating.

As for Yamato's design, I also find it appealing. Personally, I would have preferred if Yamato had a more monstrous/non-human design (like Monet whose design I love). But with Oda teasing the readers to a potential transformation from Yamato, I really do wonder if Oda has a more beastly design for Yamato already planned. I also look forward to Big Mom's meeting with Yamato. They haven't met yet but when she meets Yamato, will Yamato's appearance and unique race (part Ancient Giant? Oni?) appeal to Big Mom's fascination such as with the non-human Straw Hat Pirate members (Brook, Jinbe, Chopper, Franky).

I have been entertaining the possibility that Who's Who has the Ryu Ryu no Mi, Model: Pawpawsaurus (following the neko theme Who's Who has going and the dinosaur theme the Tobiroppo has). For Sasaki, the Ryu Ryu no Mi, Model: Torosaurus.
    This was very nice to read. I'll just add that Yamato probably watched Ace die from Onigashima.
    Here’s how Naruto should end: Last panel is Naruto standing proudly over Konohagakure. Slowly zoom out to reveal Luffy staring into a snowglobe with a miniature Konoha inside it. Usopp asks him what he’s doing. Luffy replies “Thinkin’ bout ninjas! Ninjas are cool!” and then chucks it off the ship

The way you people talk about Carrot learning the need to follow the SHs makes it sound more like a chore than something she actually wishes she could do. For personal reasons. Because she really likes being there, with them.

Meanwhile Yamato is going full Bartolomeo and gushing about meeting the SHs in person and getting to be part of their crew. She is living the dream of being a SH as we speak.

This also ties back with another big issue in that Carrot lacks a character conflict. All the strawhats have one. Her theoretical conflict is related to the overall plot, not to her own person. It's she realizing she wants to fulfill the plot, and unlike the other 20 or so characters who also realized that, deciding she wants to be part of it. But Carrot herself doesn't have a personal dream or conflict or issue that connects her to the sea or the strawhats. It could easily be Wanda deciding to be the one to fulfill Pedro's will instead.

But Carrot herself doesn't have a personal dream or conflict or issue that connects her to the sea or the strawhats. It could easily be Wanda deciding to be the one to fulfill Pedro's will instead.
    That's what honestly we've been saying for a long time. What could she have done that no other character that was present or in her situation could do? Why did Oda have this random character for so long if she was meant to be irrelevant? If a lot of the earlier reasons that people had claimed in regards to her character were true, why couldn't it have been done with literally any other Mink present?

Her role in the narrative is uncertain and that's what makes it weird in regards to her. She is so independent from the plot you begin to question what Oda's goal was to even have her. He doesn’t do things for no reason and why Chapter 877 is what we cling to is, like I said before, was the only real insight to what her purpose in WCI was to do and what she will do once she finds out has always been unclear and uncertain.

Is also notoriously clear that the Peros plot line is entirely secondary, and has nothing to do with the main target of the current arc.

And I just can't recall any other SH that was relegated to a secondary plot line prior joining the crew..

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    Is also notoriously clear that the Peros plot line is entirely secondary, and has nothing to do with the main target of the current arc.

And I just can't recall any other SH that was relegated to a secondary plot line prior joining the crew..
    Yes. Both Perospero and Carrot are relics from the previous arc, dangling threads of narrative that did not find a place in the current arc. Inu and Neko became Oden's vassals in our eyes, the minks facing Kaidou in the roof with Sulong were one of the tricks employed to defeat him... they all found a new space for them in Wano. Carrot even lost her place as the announcer of the Dawn for Yamato (ok, that's too soon to say, I'll admit). After Pedro died Carrot NEVER showed interest in his words and philosophy. I don't know why people connect her to the dawn theme. It's clearly a mink and wano thing that Carrot herself never was to protagonist of.

This just seems like it's twisting the events of the series so that, no matter what the outcome is, it's somehow proof that Carrot won't join.

If she fights Perospero, it means she's "putting revenge over helping the Straw Hats". If she didn't fight Perospero, it would probably be taken as "she's not important enough to get her own plotline/fight in this arc".

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information