View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
275. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

125 45.45%
  • Shinobu

1 0.36%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc.)

1 0.36%
  • Momo

8 2.91%
  • Tama

7 2.55%
  • Carrot

58 21.09%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 2.55%
  • Caribou

4 1.45%
  • Other

22 8.00%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

42 15.27%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 125 of 204 FirstFirst ... 25 75 115 123 124 125 126 127 135 175 ... LastLast
Results 2,481 to 2,500 of 4061

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

As if her Sulong form is her only worth. Besides, I feel she still stands out. Just that she shares the same panel space as Wanda. Either that or Oda just favoring female designs over others because outside the Dukes, the rest of her tribe's Sulong forms look very generic. I would have expected Pedro to have a cool design though.

Besides, as this chapter has shown here, her development doesn't end with Perospero's defeat or even if she manages to defeat Perospero. Beating Perospero isn't going to answer this:

Spoiler:

Any of the Minks could have avenged Pedro, like we're seeing with Wanda now. Any of the Minks could have hyped and shown Sulong back in Whole Cake Island like Pekoms eventually did. The question around Carrot has always been why is she here? What was something she could do or know that none of the other Minks (alive) could do or know? That's how we had so many contrived arguments to explain why she was there. Because as all of you have heard me say countless times before and countless times ever more, she was not required for the Sanji retrieval mission to begin with and didn't hold value entering Whole Cake Island till Chapter 877 happened. She wasn't the focal point of the narrative, she didn't move the narrative significantly, she didn't provide exposition, she wasn't the primary cause the Sanji Retrieval Team went to Whole Cake, and she definitely didn't have any history with the island till recently. When you factor all that together, her inclusion was very odd.

When she does find out what Pedro meant, the question now becomes why is this relevant for her to understand and what will she do about it? Pedro made it a case that it was imperative for her to know the Straw Hat's significance in the grand scheme of things that their tribe and the Kozuki Clan have awaited for, the past 800 years. When she understands, that will determine her course in the story. Besides, she already has one of the strongest cases of actually traveling and being with the crew considering she has been doing so for the past 180+ chapters on her own for no reason and she has nothing holding her back from doing so unless she convinces herself that she shouldn't. As I said before, the only thing holding her back is herself.

She may have luck on her side this time.
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Exsolea View Post
    Yamato never said she wanted to be on Ace's ship to see the world. She had never explained why she wanted to go out to sea with Ace. I don't think she wanted to be on Ace's ship to join his crew or see the world because she told Luffy that he should give her a ride on his ship, not that he should let her ride on his ship. A ride on a ship means neither joining a crew nor seeing the world. After all, Jimbei said to the sun pirates that he wants to ride on Luffy's ship, he doesn't want a ride on his ship.
    I think it has to do with her wanting to escape from Kaido’s abuse and likely not wanting to see others suffer under him either. After years of being treated like crap and being surrounded by suffering, I presume Yamato desperately got to the point of quickly clinging onto even the smallest bit of a chance of overcoming Kaido’s tyranny, and that Oden’s getting burned up to save his followers resonated with her more than the average person because of that.

Once they descend into the tunnels, Yamato tells Momo he absolutely needs to survive because he will be the one responsible for bringing the light of the New Dawn to the world. And I thought this was really interesting. All signs point toward the New Dawn being a metaphor for the restoration of the world after One Piece is discovered and the true history revealed – an event following the final conflict of the series.

Pedro previously expressed his belief that the Straw Hat Pirates will be the ones responsible for bringing the Dawn to the world - a belief he imparted to Carrot before he gave his life to help them escape.

It’s clear Momonosuke has an important role to play in the central narrative, beyond serving as Wano’s future shogun. I’m not sure yet what to make of Yamato’s belief that Momo is the one who will be responsible for the light of the New Dawn. I can only assume that she means he, like Shirahoshi, will play an essential role in fulfilling this prophecy rather than serve as the person primarily responsible.

I have said in past reviews that I strongly believe Carrot is likely to join the Straw Hat Pirates, but I think we see here a viable alternative path. It seemed unlikely Carrot would enter the story to play such a prominent role, only to fade back into obscurity on Zou.

On Whole Cake Island, Pedro’s dying words lead Carrot to believe that the Straw Hats survival is critical to bringing the light of the New Dawn – a prophecy which the Minks and the Kozuki have held for centuries.

In the previous chapter, we saw that Carrot was still contemplating the meaning of this prophecy. I still believe that understanding the meaning of the New Dawn can only be achieved by learning the True History of the world on Laugh Tale. As such, I’m still on the side of Carrot joining the Straw Hats and sailing with them to the end of the Grand Line with the dream of understanding the New Dawn and fulfilling Pedro’s will.

But Yamato here provides an alternative – she says Momo, not Luffy, will be responsible for bringing the New Dawn to the world. If Yamato tells Carrot that Momo is the one meant to bring the New Dawn, Pedro’s words may resonate with her, leading her to believe that protecting Momo is the means by which Pedro’s will to see the New Dawn realized will be fulfilled. This would mean Carrot and Wanda may act as analogues to Nekomamushi and Inuarushi – playing the role of retainer to Shogun Momonosuke, protecting him until the endgame of the series.

As I said, I’m still of the belief that Yamato’s declaration here is only part of the truth – that Luffy will play a much bigger role in fulfilling the prophecy by actually discovering One Piece and the True History on Laugh Tale, but that remains to be seen.

As such, I still think it’s likely Carrot will join the Straw Hats, but we have here the first sign that serving Momo may be a viable narrative alternative. Tama, Carrot, Wanda, and Yamato … maybe even Hiyori may be Momo’s protectors until the Straw Hats are ready to lead the charge in the final war.
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

"ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

About that, we don't know what Yamato read in Oden's journal, but it's possible that Yamato is wrong about Momo being the bringer of the Dawn. Maybe Yamato interpreted something wrong...

I mean, it's possible that he is right too, of cuorse, but I bet the answer is trickier or more ambiguous or even more convoluted, or maybe there are more pieces in the prophecy.

Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation View Post
    About that, we don't know what Yamato read in Oden's journal, but it's possible that Yamato is wrong about Momo being the bringer of the Dawn. Maybe Yamato interpreted something wrong...

I mean, it's possible that he is right too, of cuorse, but I bet the answer is trickier or more ambiguous or even more convoluted, or maybe there are more pieces in the prophecy.
    I agree; and it's important to remember all the other context clues. Luffy born on Dawn Island. First chapter when Luffy sets sail titled Romance Dawn. The Thousand Sunny. The Path Toward the Sun.

I think Momo is likely a key part of realizing the New Dawn, like Shirahoshi (not addressing the Momo is Uranus theory, which I think is rather unlikely), but Luffy is still the primary figure here. It's important to remember Pedro believed the Straw Hats will be responsible for bringing the New Dawn.

I have imagined that Oden's journal wouldn't reveal anything about the True History as some have said. Oden would know enough not to record that information in print. There's a reason it's left behind on Laugh Tale where only a select few can find the Rio Poneglyph. The only thing I could think of is that it would say something about the importance of Joy Boy and the New Dawn.

When Yamato reads whatever's in the journal, I feel like that will connect the dots for Carrot about what she needs to do to realize Pedro's will. Pedro said it's the Straw Hats who will bring the New Dawn and we see Carrot is still contemplating the meaning of his words. Her narrative arc is still ongoing which is a positive sign for her to join.
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

I like how Carrot has never ever, not even by mistake mentioned the Dawn, but Yamato has.

This is crewmate stuff appropiation!, If the Dawn really is somehow the one dream of the last member, Yamato has shown interest in the thing by herself, let that sink in.

At this point, right or wrong, I'm all in on Yamato. When I voted, I simply voted on impression, but now... 100% in.
    Here’s how Naruto should end: Last panel is Naruto standing proudly over Konohagakure. Slowly zoom out to reveal Luffy staring into a snowglobe with a miniature Konoha inside it. Usopp asks him what he’s doing. Luffy replies “Thinkin’ bout ninjas! Ninjas are cool!” and then chucks it off the ship

Yamato does feel more like an equal when he interacts with the strawhats.

I still don't think anyone should join, but i would be least against him.

Appearance and ability-wise, it´s a yes, but not much personality yet. Luffy at least trusts her and has significantly interacted with her from the get-go, which is already a big plus.
    Considering the Oden thing, it would be obvious to get on Luffy´s ship, but maybe a red herring.

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    I like how Carrot has never ever, not even by mistake mentioned the Dawn, but Yamato has.

This is crewmate stuff appropiation!, If the Dawn really is somehow the one dream of the last member, Yamato has shown interest in the thing by herself, let that sink in.
    The New Dawn is a prophecy long held by the Mink Tribe to which Carrot belongs. Yamato read about it in a book. If anything, she's the one doing the appropriating.

But I don't really agree with that notion either way.

Carrot didn't know about the Dawn. She's still processing the meaning of Pedro's sacrifice. His words to her are important.

I'm still of the opinion that Yamato is not going to join. She seems to be building much stronger ties to Momonosuke than Luffy.

If he succeeds in emulating even 1% of being Oden he'll beat up who is troubling Momo and then abandon them to go and see what's up out there in the world. Staying and taking responsibility is like the least Oden thing a body can do, but corrective violence and parental abandonment is like in the top five. But of course if he ends up recanting his desire to live a life like Oden maybe he could end up staying with Momo. But that would require quite a turnaround from where his mind is now

Going all in for Yamato or no one

So.

Yamato is confirmed to have a more developed and informed version of Carrot's dream.

I'm not saying this makes Carrot's strawhat prospect obsolete but... I think it does.

Interesting Find about Luffy's last Crewmate

One common theme among the Great Pirates is they invite the right hand man of their rival crew. And interestingly this happens after their crew is complete.

We have seen three such attempts in One Piece.

First, When Shanks visits Whitebeard, he invited Marco, Whitebeard's Right hand

Spoiler:

Second, when Big Mom meets Kaido, She invited King.

Spoiler:

These two attempts were unsuccessful, but the third attempt was successful. Roger Successfully Scouted Oden, the right hand man of Whitebeard at that time, when they met.

Spoiler:

This shows things

1. Pirate King charisma is greater than that of Yonko, so much that they can scout Rival Pirate Crew's right hand

2. Since Luffy parallels Roger in charisma a, Last nakama of Luffy is the one that Luffy scouts from his rival crew.

3. This happens after Luffy's crew is complete and he becomes a Great Pirate.

Do, who do you think is the person that Luffy scouts into his crew? Coincidentally, "Scout" is a vacant position in the Straw hat crew.

Each chapter Oda is just throwing in more "possible new nakama" characters into the current story and giving them new info for discussion. Yamato, Carrot, Tama, Law.. In the next few chapters Pudding, Barto, Hancock, resurrected Monet, etc. will appear for the next Nakama Battle Royal to start in chapter 1000.

Joking aside I absolutely don't think that Law has any kind of chance to join the crew because of numerous reasons but this chapter does kinda imply that his new dream also means collecting the red Poneglyphs and going to Laugh Tale to find out more about the Ds.

Yamato confirmed to have a Zoan DF. Let's hope for a cool design!

So Tama came to Onigashima on an enemy ship even though all of Kaidos forces are supposed to be on Onigashima because of the Fire Festival.... She probably used her Dangos to manipulate Smile users to get on the ship. I really hope her Dangos don't work on actual Zoan users.

Quote Originally Posted by T€]@$ View Post
    Do, who do you think is the person that Luffy scouts into his crew? Coincidentally, "Scout" is a vacant position in the Straw hat crew.
    Does the child of an enemy yonkou count?

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Actually I have a headcanon where Kaido is beating the crap out of Yamato with his club, then Luffy suddenly shows up and blocks the next hit. Then the talk goes like this:

- Luffy: Stop hitting them.
    - Kaido: It's my child. I need to punish them for disobeying me! They are staying here and becoming shogun of Wano for me!
    - Luffy: They are not part of your crew anymore.
    - Kaido: Oh yeah? And whose crew they are in now?
    - Luffy: MINE!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon D. Luffy View Post
    Does the child of an enemy yonkou count?

Actually I have a headcanon where Kaido is beating the crap out of Yamato with his club, then Luffy suddenly shows up and blocks the next hit. Then the talk goes like this:

- Luffy: Stop hitting them.
    - Kaido: It's my child. I need to punish them for disobeying me! They are staying here and becoming shogun of Wano for me!
    - Luffy: They are not part of your crew anymore.
    - Kaido: Oh yeah? And whose crew they are in now?
    - Luffy: MINE!
    This is now my headcanon. Thank You, haha!!
    Here’s how Naruto should end: Last panel is Naruto standing proudly over Konohagakure. Slowly zoom out to reveal Luffy staring into a snowglobe with a miniature Konoha inside it. Usopp asks him what he’s doing. Luffy replies “Thinkin’ bout ninjas! Ninjas are cool!” and then chucks it off the ship

Quote Originally Posted by Vongola_Boss_XI View Post
    The New Dawn is a prophecy long held by the Mink Tribe to which Carrot belongs. Yamato read about it in a book. If anything, she's the one doing the appropriating.

But I don't really agree with that notion either way.

Carrot didn't know about the Dawn. She's still processing the meaning of Pedro's sacrifice. His words to her are important.

I'm still of the opinion that Yamato is not going to join. She seems to be building much stronger ties to Momonosuke than Luffy.
    Are we sure that the New Dawn idea started with the Minks? Since the Minks are very close allies with the Kozuki clan, the New Dawn prophecy might as well have started with Oden and whatever he found on Laugh Tale. He then wrote it down in his journal and at the same time passed on the prophecy to Nekomamushi and Inuarashi. Those two then told Pedro about it who eventually set out to find Poneglyphs in preparation.
    In that case, Yamato would be closer to the source than Carrot. But this is all pure conjecture and we will just have to wait and see

3DS Friendcode: 1547 - 5175 - 1342

Well, its literally been stated that the Dawn is a worldwide thing.

So its likely that some othets like Cobra and Neptune also know about it, they just never mentioned.

More than likely it's just something the Mink Tribe and Kozuki Clan knows. They have a known brother-esque relationship with one another and they're both isolated countries which have both mentioned the Dawn.

All Neptune would know of is the return of Joy Boy would fulfill the promise of the mermaid princess. What we know from Cobra is that Alabasta harbors knowledge of Pluton and potentially damning secrets of the WG since their royal family left Mariejois. So much so they may end up getting wiped out in this "cleansing."

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post

Well when you have a cheat sheet like Oden's journal and whatever contents it may possess, of course you're gonna have leverage over someone who is still learning.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information