View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
275. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

    125 45.45%
  • Shinobu

    1 0.36%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc.)

    1 0.36%
  • Momo

    8 2.91%
  • Tama

    7 2.55%
  • Carrot

    58 21.09%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

    7 2.55%
  • Caribou

    4 1.45%
  • Other

    22 8.00%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

    42 15.27%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 124 of 204 FirstFirst ... 24 74 114 122 123 124 125 126 134 174 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,480 of 4072

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

  1. #2461

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Oh man I forgot about Lodestar, God Valley the underworld and Rocks

    Thanks Vongola_Boss_XI

  2. #2462

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    So at what point is all hope lost?
    One Piece 2 - New Generation announced and it's set centuries after the first manga ended so Carrot has probably died of old age, assuming all devil fruits that could give her immortality are confirmed to being with other characters.

  3. #2463

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    As much as Oda says there's only 5 years left I'm still expecting a few more islands, and there will definitely be one more we weren't expecting, one thing Oda is not is predictable, after Drum Island, Punk Hazard and Whole Cake Island it's very clear to me that Oda likes to throw our expectations about what's next right out the window, he'll add one more surprise island we haven't heard of yet just to shake things up
    I really doubt the 5-year plan too. Not because there's a lot to cover, but due to how Oda writes. I see many of your cited examples as being showcased in the same arcs, instead of each having its own story. However, just look at Onigashima: we've spent 2+ volumes just setting up the next act. Oda is not straightforward in his storytelling, he likes to twist and turn the path before reaching the goal. While it does make the story less predictable, it also makes it longer. This 5-year plan will probably take seven to ten years in reality.
    No, I'm not back. I never left. It's just that it has been a long time since I had something to say.

  4. #2464

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Man, the more this arc goes on the less hope I for Carrot and the more likely I feel Tama will join them instead. If they reveal next chapter that Tama has some kind of way of transporting Komachi and other animals through scrolls or something (like the Ninja scrolls Raizo uses) then she might suddenly have the strongest shot for next nakama.

  5. #2465

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by black-leg jex View Post
    Man, the more this arc goes on the less hope I for Carrot and the more likely I feel Tama will join them instead. If they reveal next chapter that Tama has some kind of way of transporting Komachi and other animals through scrolls or something (like the Ninja scrolls Raizo uses) then she might suddenly have the strongest shot for next nakama.
    I would genuinely question where that skill was when she was kidnapped by fodder or when she was attacked by Kaido.

  6. #2466

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Tama is literally 8 years old. While I do think it's possible that she can sail with them as a cabin girl she's not going to be a main member of the crew. She'd be as much of a member as Zeus if that makes sense.

  7. #2467

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Non-scientific arbitrary chance of joining (IMO):

    - Carrot: 30% and decreasing.
    - Yamato: 5% and increasing.
    - Tama: 1% and stable.
    No, I'm not back. I never left. It's just that it has been a long time since I had something to say.

  8. #2468

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Nah, Yamato's chances are decreasing as it goes on. There are plenty of reasons why it makes sense for Yamato to stay behind. Yes he wants to go out and see the world like Oden did but at the same time he wants to fulfill Oden's wish of protecting Wano and opening it's borders, which would require him staying. After the chapter where he defends Momo, I think its more likely Yamato stays and becomes the next 'Guardian Deity' of Wano while Momo becomes Shogun.

    In my opinion from the last bunch of chapters:
    - Carrot: 30% and stable
    - Yamato: 5% and decreasing
    - Tama: 10% and rising

    Quote Originally Posted by SeaOfHope View Post
    I would genuinely question where that skill was when she was kidnapped by fodder or when she was attacked by Kaido.
    If it requires an item then it's very possible she didn't have it on her. Alternatively it is something she got from Shinobu or Raizo off-screen as these are the first ninja's she's actually met (I assume).

  9. #2469

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Carrot does not have 6x more chance of joining than Yamato lol.

    Let's put it this way: Yamato is the only one of the popular candidates that actually requested to join the Strawhat crew, on panel. While that is not proof they will join, it is proof that Oda has considered the possibility, even if only as a red herring. It is now a plot point in One Piece that is in need of closure. If you want to argue Yamato will not join, you have to argue the red herring angle.

    Carrot, on the other hand, is a purely fandom thing. Neither Carrot, nor any of the strawhats, nor any other character, nor Oda has expressed the possibility of her becoming a member of the SHs. All evidence being pointed out is conjectural. It is possible that Oda hasn't even thought of Carrot joining as a possibility. People arguing for Carrot have the burden of proof of showing that evidence is more than just conjectural. While fans of Yamato just have to argue that when Oda made the possibility of Yamato joining canon, he meant it as such and wasn't trying to fool the readers.

    So yeah Yamato is not a long shot while Carrot is a whopping 30%. It's probably closer to the opposite. Yamato is more similar to Jinbe at the FI arc than to Carrot.
    Last edited by Dragon D. Luffy; November 16th, 2020 at 04:13 PM.

  10. #2470

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Yeah I disagree also Yamato has waaaaaaay higher chances of joining in my opinion

    Even though I don’t think anyone besides Jinbei is joining this arc

    But Yamato has literally asked to join, and has a dream of going out to Sea

    and I’m not sure why people think her dream went from “I want to go out to sea and have adventures” to “let’s stay and be a diplomat for a guy who clearly has tons of people around him already who can do that” simply because she protected Momo, all the straw hats have protected people especially in there own arcs, so I’m not seeing the logic

    Protecting people from harm who you admire does not mean you suddenly gave up on your dream of going out to sea, Staying in Wano is literally the opposite of what she stated multiple times she wanted to do

    Also Oda drawing a cover with only her and Luffy does not hurt his chances

  11. #2471

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Like, for Carrot not to join, the only thing that needs to happen is Wano ending without anyone inviting her or her requesting to join.

    For Yamato not to join, we need a scene with either Luffy saying no to them, or Yamato deciding that they changed their mind.

  12. #2472

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Don't get focused on actual stats man, they're arbitrary.

    But also you are like... wrong. From what I've seen there is plenty of evidence for why Carrot could join, from a motivation to make sure the Straw Hats get to Laugh Tale, an established relationship with the crew a unique design that doesn't clash with anyone else in the crew, amongst others. These are far from conjectural and you don't need the candidate to specifically ask to join the crew for them to suddenly have a chance. The only Straw Hat to actually ask that is Robin and to a lesser extent Brook. The deciding factor is Luffy asking them, and the only characters he asked immediately were Zoro, Chopper and Brook.

    So no, Yamato asking doesn't mean he's the most likely. It definitely made him a candidate but since that point everything Yamato has done and his interaction with Luffy has made him less likely to join and more likely to remain in Wano and protect Momo.

    Carrot's stable because while she has all of these reasons she could join, she hasn't done much in grand scheme of things to stand out. This moment with Perospero is basically the first thing she has done this whole arc and that is definitely an issue.

    Tama on the other hand, the only thing getting in her way is the question of whether she can protect herself or not. If she has access to Komashi and the Baboon somehow then maybe she can be like an animal tamer/summoner but we haven't had anything to confirm that. Otherwise, Tama has everything that Yamato has but better, and nothing to tie her down to Wano.
    -She has a better relationship with Luffy
    -She's been more important to the Wano arc
    -She has a unique design that doesn't clash with the other crew memebers
    -She's also got a connection with Ace and wanted to leave Wano and become a pirate with him

    While she hasn't asked Luffy yet you know for absolute sure she will. Luffy is carrying on Ace's will and can fulfill his promises. If Tama doesn't join at the end of the arc, she's at least getting the same promise that Ace made with her with Luffy: that she can join his crew when she's older (although that won't happen before series end imo)

  13. #2473

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    lol please don’t say Carrot has a unique character design compared to others, your just gonna restart an old war that always goes in circles which no one agrees with each other about

    How many times have we had that discussion? Feels like thousands

  14. #2474

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    and I’m not sure why people think her dream went from “I want to go out to sea and have adventures” to “let’s stay and be a diplomat for a guy who clearly has tons of people around him already who can do that” simply because she protected Momo, all the straw hats have protected people especially in there own arcs, so I’m not seeing the logic
    Because his dream isn't as black and white as 'I want to go out to sea'.

    His dream is to be the next Oden. To inherit Oden's will and because Oden went out to sea, Yamato thinks he should go out to sea. However, it was also Oden's will to see the borders of Wano opened which is something all the 9-scabbards inherited and Yamato to. He said as much. Right now, for Yamato to go out to sea the idea of 'becoming Oden' needs to become more personal to him. Less about inheriting Oden's will and somehow becoming the next Oden in terms of a person. This is doable. If Wano ends with the borders opening and the 9-scabbards are fine on their own to protect Momo then Yamato can feel like Oden's wish has been met and now they can do their own thing. But unless that happens, Yamato going out to sea clashes with Yamato wanting to open the borders of Wano and protect it.

    Also Yamato's dream of going out to sea is very basic and not reliant on Luffy at all. Really the only reason he asked Luffy was because originally he wanted to go with Ace and can't anymore. Luffy is the next best option.

    Yamato obviously still has a chance and ticks many boxes but there are some character points that need to be addressed before we can say he's the most likely. It's these character points that have made people think Tama is more likely now. The biggest hurdle for her is that she would be absent in the final conflict but now she's here so suddenly things are looking more her way.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    I've not been there for that discussion but she obviously does have a unique design (at least as far as female characters in One Piece go). Like, no one else in the crew is a rabbit, has her colour scheme, has her fighting style or abilities, has her personality, etc.

  15. #2475

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    I’m sorry but the first thing the guy ever said was “I want to go out to Sea and see the world”

    Not “I want to open the borders of Wano and be a diplomat”

    He’s clearly in the process of getting over his whole I’m Oden phase, that was part of the point in the last chapter where he states you can call me Yamato!

    Also I agree he doesn’t need Luffy to go out to sea, you seem to forget I don’t think he’ll actually join, but if we’re talking about chances he has the same or higher than CarrotS

    Not that I think either are joining

  16. #2476

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    Non-scientific arbitrary chance of joining (IMO):

    - Carrot: 30% and decreasing.
    - Yamato: 5% and increasing.
    - Tama: 1% and stable.
    Since this caught attention, let me elaborate:

    Carrot: I think she has the strongest chance. She's already traveling with them and treated as a good friend. She can fight and take care of herself. Ignoring narrative reasons, all it needs for her to join is for her to ask. Luffy wouldn't deny it. Everyone would welcome her. I think there will even be a scene in that she's actually asked if she want to come onboard, because there's no way I can see the crew sailing off without her without at least consulting her first. However, I feel she won't go, however, and I feel that because she's not being treated as a potential main character. She seems to have a finite arc, and I think that arc will conclude with a Straw Hat defeating Perospero for her. The 30% chance is to reflect how far she has gone with the crew, but her lack of story in Wano, her appearances being often pushed to the background, and what appears to be a character arc that has a definitive end, make her chances be decreasing in my eyes.

    Yamato: It's weird that Yamato even exists. He's a character that has been introduced pretty late in the arc, without a clear arc in sight, so it's hard to predict where he will end. His relationship with Ace and his desire to sail off are points in his favor, but he seems to be building a stronger link to the Kouzuki instead. He wants freedom, but it's to be free from his father and Onigashima, not exactly a pirate life. I don't think Yamato will be relevant after Wano, I feel he will find more of him/herself accept who he/she is, becoming a Kouzuki samurai. However, the more spotlight Yamato gets, higher his chances become, and we are sure to see him get a lot of story ahead. So, a small chance (5%), but with increasing odds.

    Tama: I never saw her as a potential crewmate. First, because she's a kid. Second, because it's obvious that Wano will end with her in a better life, freed from poverty and starvation. Third, because her skills are pretty limited, and either overpowered or useless in a given situation. I think Tama may be to Luffy what Luffy was to Shanks, with her promising to go to sea when she grows up. But I don't think she was ever meant to go with the crew. Nothing in the story so far has shown me anything to rethink this opinion. Her appearance in Onigashima was very expected, just like she has shown foolish bravery before in Udon. So, a tiny chance (1%), just to ackowledge her as a candidate, and no change in sight.
    No, I'm not back. I never left. It's just that it has been a long time since I had something to say.

  17. #2477

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Yamato never said she wanted to be on Ace's ship to see the world. She had never explained why she wanted to go out to sea with Ace. I don't think she wanted to be on Ace's ship to join his crew or see the world because she told Luffy that he should give her a ride on his ship, not that he should let her ride on his ship. A ride on a ship means neither joining a crew nor seeing the world. After all, Jimbei said to the sun pirates that he wants to ride on Luffy's ship, he doesn't want a ride on his ship.

  18. #2478

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    I’m sorry but the first thing the guy ever said was “I want to go out to Sea and see the world”

    Not “I want to open the borders of Wano and be a diplomat”
    If you're talking about order, it was the other way around. Chapter 984 is "I'm inhiritting Oden's will and I decided to open the borders of Wano". Only in chapter 985 he mentions the desire to go out to sea.

  19. #2479

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    Since this caught attention, let me elaborate:

    Carrot: I think she has the strongest chance. She's already traveling with them and treated as a good friend. She can fight and take care of herself. Ignoring narrative reasons, all it needs for her to join is for her to ask. Luffy wouldn't deny it. Everyone would welcome her. I think there will even be a scene in that she's actually asked if she want to come onboard, because there's no way I can see the crew sailing off without her without at least consulting her first. However, I feel she won't go, however, and I feel that because she's not being treated as a potential main character. She seems to have a finite arc, and I think that arc will conclude with a Straw Hat defeating Perospero for her. The 30% chance is to reflect how far she has gone with the crew, but her lack of story in Wano, her appearances being often pushed to the background, and what appears to be a character arc that has a definitive end, make her chances be decreasing in my eyes.

    Yamato: It's weird that Yamato even exists. He's a character that has been introduced pretty late in the arc, without a clear arc in sight, so it's hard to predict where he will end. His relationship with Ace and his desire to sail off are points in his favor, but he seems to be building a stronger link to the Kouzuki instead. He wants freedom, but it's to be free from his father and Onigashima, not exactly a pirate life. I don't think Yamato will be relevant after Wano, I feel he will find more of him/herself accept who he/she is, becoming a Kouzuki samurai. However, the more spotlight Yamato gets, higher his chances become, and we are sure to see him get a lot of story ahead. So, a small chance (5%), but with increasing odds.

    Tama: I never saw her as a potential crewmate. First, because she's a kid. Second, because it's obvious that Wano will end with her in a better life, freed from poverty and starvation. Third, because her skills are pretty limited, and either overpowered or useless in a given situation. I think Tama may be to Luffy what Luffy was to Shanks, with her promising to go to sea when she grows up. But I don't think she was ever meant to go with the crew. Nothing in the story so far has shown me anything to rethink this opinion. Her appearance in Onigashima was very expected, just like she has shown foolish bravery before in Udon. So, a tiny chance (1%), just to acknowledge her as a candidate, and no change in sight.
    I agree with this but with slight amendments. Yamato getting more focus definitely helps but I think the type of focus he has been getting hasn't helped his case. It's very Kozuki focused right now. Then for Tama I was originally on 0% for her with the idea that she would be to Luffy what he was to Shanks as the most likely choice. But her having an active role in the final conflict definitely helps and she will definitely ask Luffy is she can join, just like she did with Ace. So while Carrot's chances depend on Luffy asking her, Tama not joining depends on Luffy saying no, just like it does for Yamato (although Yamato could also end up at their own reason to not join, which I don't think Tama will have).

  20. #2480

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    It does feel like Carrot lost a lot of uniqueness and potential protagonism in this chapter, as she literally ends up sharing her thunder with Wanda.

    Her Sulong form itself doesn't look unique anymore.
    Last edited by King Cannon; November 16th, 2020 at 05:21 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 5 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 4 guests)

  1. Kelhmar

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts