View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
275. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

125 45.45%
  • Shinobu

1 0.36%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc.)

1 0.36%
  • Momo

8 2.91%
  • Tama

7 2.55%
  • Carrot

58 21.09%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 2.55%
  • Caribou

4 1.45%
  • Other

22 8.00%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

42 15.27%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 123 of 204 FirstFirst ... 23 73 113 121 122 123 124 125 133 173 ... LastLast
Results 2,441 to 2,460 of 4072

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Yeah, that feels more like something that will be addressed in the next chapter (hopefully), we didn't see if she got overpowered in this chap so it isn't fair to say that yet.

Gonna make a quick hot take: Tama has no combat ability. She has room and potential to improve, but not at her current state, which mainly consists of controlling animals to her service. It's a useful skill on its own, especially in this situation with the Beast Pirates' Gifters. She's gonna play a huge role in that as people have predicted.

However, if we're talking Tama's combat ability, I'm sorry Solid, but she has none. If she doesn't have any animals at her side, what then? That's why becoming the bewitching kunoichi she promised Ace and probably Luffy eventually is necessary for her to eventually join their crew. That's why I've always held the no kid policy. If she can't defend herself, then she will be a liability.

Even, if I don't think Yamato's gonna join, I see her chances far above Tama's.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaOfHope View Post
    Gonna make a quick hot take: Tama has no combat ability. She has room and potential to improve, but not at her current state, which mainly consists of controlling animals to her service. It's a useful skill on its own, especially in this situation with the Beast Pirates' Gifters. She's gonna play a huge role in that as people have predicted.

However, if we're talking Tama's combat ability, I'm sorry Solid, but she has none. If she doesn't have any animals at her side, what then? That's why becoming the bewitching kunoichi she promised Ace and probably Luffy eventually is necessary for her to eventually join their crew. That's why I've always held the no kid policy. If she can't defend herself, then she will be a liability.

Even, if I don't think Yamato's gonna join, I see her chances far above Tama's.
    Bewitching Kunoichi, Tama did sort of bewitch her pets and Olin I see a loophole in the promises' conditions for her to become a pirate.

her pets is her combat ability so far, therefor she actually has combat ability, you cant say she has none when she just showed us that she did, her pets belongs to her combat ability just like Big mom's homies, Capone's men, Cracker's biscuit soldiers, Sugar's toy soldiers etc.

These last few chapters seemed liked Oda is teasing us with the crewmate candidates. Yamato, Carrot and now Tama.

To add fuel to the fire, the countdown to chapter 1,000 uses images of crewmate introductions (either to Luffy, the crew or the readers). Could chapter 1,000 reveal the last one in its color spread? Who knows?
    No, I'm not back. I never left. It's just that it has been a long time since I had something to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Solid View Post
    Bewitching Kunoichi, Tama did sort of bewitch her pets and Olin I see a loophole in the promises' conditions for her to become a pirate.

her pets is her combat ability so far, therefor she actually has combat ability, you cant say she has none when she just showed us that she did, her pets belongs to her combat ability just like Big mom's homies, Capone's men, Cracker's biscuit soldiers, Sugar's toy soldiers etc.
    She has so far yet to display a single kunoichi ability so to speak. Shinobu has years of training and experience. It was shown in Oden's flashback that as a child she was already training as one and about 10 years later she's helping Oden and the Scabbards fight off Kaido and the Beast Pirates. The point being that Shinobu had time to train to get to that point. And that goes for any of the Straw Hats, new or old. They have had time to develop their abilities to where they are now, only growing powerful and more efficient in said skills as time goes on.

Tama goes off as she is now, she has limited utility in that she can control animals to fight for her, but no independent fighting skills or any kunoichi techniques to speak of. In those circumstances, that's where she'll end up failing, especially since she doesn't have any techniques to begin with. If she had displayed any of them, maybe I'd treat her candidacy a little more seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Solid View Post
    Okey, okey you're obviously not in the mood for some smack talk, just want to point this wasn't directed at you personally so don't take it that way.
    i just prefer some straight up smack talk rather than the passive aggressiveness and snarky attitudes that generally overflow these threads.

Pros for tama within this chap:

the chapter title is referencing to her
    She showed combat ability and potential
    She is bonding with two more strawhats
    She saved her second strawhat

cons
    Was hoping for a new outfit
    Fine. Let's get to it.

Tama and Komachiyo got a good hit in, but that doesn't equate to combat ability. She conked one of her captors on the head too, but neither feat puts her in the same league as even Usopp or Nami. She's still vulnerable, and as Nami said, she's not supposed to even be there. No one wants a little kid to be in harm's way, which is exactly the issue with her being on the crew.

At sea, she'll always be at risk, and everyone's priority will naturally be to keep her safe, not to rely on her to get things done. They care about and count on each other equally: no single person's health and safety is more important than another's. Tama would upend that completely. That's just how it is with kids, and something I can personally attest to as a parent: kids' lives are more sacred than adults. The crew isn't ready to be parents for a child who'll need their undivided attention and devotion.

Tama made it to the battle, the bare minimum for consideration. That doesn't erase all the issues that were there the last time we saw her. I certainly wouldn't abide her being at the end of Ulti's headbutts.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    Tama made it to the battle, the bare minimum for consideration. That doesn't erase all the issues that were there the last time we saw her. I certainly wouldn't abide her being at the end of Ulti's headbutts.
    Even though I want to believe Tama won't be in harm's way, it wouldn't be unusual for Oda to do so. Look at Luffy's past: beaten with spiked gloves to reveal the location of a hidden treasure despite being bloodied, terrified, and crying.

Even Momonosuke, look at what happened to him. I think that drives the point even further that kids aren't ready yet.

Tama can't even compare to Ace as a kid. At 10 years old, he was already doing this:
    Spoiler:

I don't feel the Chapter title is about Tama, but about Nami. She's also playing a kunoichi role in this arc, plus it's her words that were the highlight of the final scene. It's not like Tama appeared with some powerful words or a moment of pure resolve.
    No, I'm not back. I never left. It's just that it has been a long time since I had something to say.

I don't think Tama has any realistic chance, but she's still being slept on as the war's table turner.

As for Carrot, yeah, needing help from her BFF to stand a chance is not a good look. But then, Perospero was always out of her league.

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    These last few chapters seemed liked Oda is teasing us with the crewmate candidates. Yamato, Carrot and now Tama.

To add fuel to the fire, the countdown to chapter 1,000 uses images of crewmate introductions (either to Luffy, the crew or the readers). Could chapter 1,000 reveal the last one in its color spread? Who knows?
    I saw him as taking Yamato out of the equation. Again, rather than having him fight alongside the SHs, he's defending Momo and saying that he's prepared to die for him. It's hard to see someone like that just suddenly leaving Momo after Wano. Plus, there's a nice dichotomy between who their fathers were vs how they could end up.

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    I saw him as taking Yamato out of the equation. Again, rather than having him fight alongside the SHs, he's defending Momo and saying that he's prepared to die for him. It's hard to see someone like that just suddenly leaving Momo after Wano. Plus, there's a nice dichotomy between who their fathers were vs how they could end up.
    Frankly, I myself don't see any of them joining. It's only Jinbe for now.

But people will always get hyped when their favorites get the spotlight for a moment.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    So at what point is all hope lost?
    I'd say when the crew leaves Wano.
    I'd hope that Shift is right, and I'm sure he himself will keep to that, but the truth is even if the straw hats leave without Carrot after Wano some people are still gonna say that she'll return to the story at some point and that she'll probably join then

It probably won't end until another person joins the crew and even then there's been plenty of people who seem to think there will be more than 10 members

I doubt there'll be people saying that Carrot will come back to join unless it's heavily implied as such (like Jimbe in FI). One Piece is ending, and everybody understands that there's only one more saga after Wano, so there's no reason to leave her behind now only to join later.

People make this argument for Vivi (and Smoker) only because of very specific circunstances about their context.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    I'd hope that Shift is right, and I'm sure he himself will keep to that, but the truth is even if the straw hats leave without Carrot after Wano some people are still gonna say that she'll return to the story at some point and that she'll probably join then

It probably won't end until another person joins the crew and even then there's been plenty of people who seem to think there will be more than 10 members
    Right. I'm not expecting another case like Jinbe's, where they ask the crew to wait for them. If the ship leaves and Carrot's waving goodbye from the shore with everyone else, that should be the end of it.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Right. I'm not expecting another case like Jinbe's, where they ask the crew to wait for them. If the ship leaves and Carrot's waving goodbye from the shore with everyone else, that should be the end of it.
    This. If there's gonna be an 11th, which we assume there will be based off of Luffy's original pronouncement (excluding Vivi), it kinda has to happen by the end of Wano. Luffy will officially be an emperor at that point and we'll start heading to the endgame islands of Elbaf, maybe one or two others, and then Laugh Tale.

I think if the crew sets sail from Wano without Carrot, she's not joining. Personally, I still expect she's going to join, will get back to that in a bit. But, Wano is really the point where it will be decided. If she returns to Zou with the Minks, I think that's it. I do expect that if she doesn't join, she'll return toward the end of the story, but as an ally like Law, Kinemon, etc. But, to join the crew? This is it.

The circumstances for Vivi and Smoker are very different.

I think the biggest issue with Tama is that her goal of becoming a 'bewitching Kunoichi' really isn't accomplished by setting out to sea with the Straw Hats. She'd be better off learning from Shinobu and Raizo - I'm not sure how she could grow or work toward her goal by sailing aboard the Sunny.
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

"ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

As much as Oda says there's only 5 years left I'm still expecting a few more islands, and there will definitely be one more we weren't expecting, one thing Oda is not is predictable, after Drum Island, Punk Hazard and Whole Cake Island it's very clear to me that Oda likes to throw our expectations about what's next right out the window, he'll add one more surprise island we haven't heard of yet just to shake things up

also there's still so many characters we have to meet

The last Admiral
    Vega Punk
    The revolutionaries
    Im
    Weeivel
    The level 6 prisoners (he mentioned at a cliff hanger at one of the most important arcs and mentioned again recently in Dressrosa)
    Loki and all the giants at Elbaf

and reintroduce us to
    Gecko Moria
    Buggy and crew (a long with an adventure for Captain John's treasure plot)
    Kuma
    Bonney
    Urouge
    Crocodile
    Doflamingo? (he may still have a part to play)
    The other admirals
    Black Beard pirates
    Shanks? (might die against black Beard before meeting Luffy)
    Boa Hancock
    Mihawk
    Vivi
    CP0
    Vinesmokes
    the Grandfleet
    Gin? (it's been so long, who even knows at this point)
    Cobby, Helmpo
    Garp and Sengoku
    Axe Hand Morgan
    Smoker and Tashigi
    Sentomaru
    Aokiji
    Black Beard Pirates
    Enel?

Of course a lot of those will be in the same arc

also islands we know they'll go to
    Elbaf
    Raftel
    re going to Fishman Island to fulfill the prophecy
    and maybe someday that lightning Island

did I miss anything? Seems like way to much for 5 years

I knew I forgot something VegaPunk's SSG and the 3 Ancient Weapons

I think Wano is the last arc anyone joins. I can't fathom something joining after Wano. Oda has straight up said that Wano arc is accelerating the series towards its climax. Imagine if someone joined right before the Strawhats reach Raftel, what would be the point?

Personally I think Carrot and maybe Yamato might BOTH join.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    As much as Oda says there's only 5 years left I'm still expecting a few more islands, and there will definitely be one more we weren't expecting, one thing Oda is not is predictable, after Drum Island, Punk Hazard and Whole Cake Island it's very clear to me that Oda likes to throw our expectations about what's next right out the window, he'll add one more surprise island we haven't heard of yet just to shake things up

also there's still so many characters we have to meet

The last Admiral
    Vega Punk
    The revolutionaries
    Im
    Weeivel
    The level 6 prisoners (he mentioned at a cliff hanger at one of the most important arcs and mentioned again recently in Dressrosa)
    Loki and all the giants at Elbaf

and reintroduce us to
    Gecko Moria
    Buggy and crew (a long with an adventure for Captain John's treasure plot)
    Kuma
    Bonney
    Urouge
    Crocodile
    Doflamingo? (he may still have a part to play)
    The other admirals
    Black Beard pirates
    Shanks? (might die against black Beard before meeting Luffy)
    Boa Hancock
    Mihawk
    Vivi
    CP0
    Vinesmokes
    the Grandfleet
    Gin? (it's been so long, who even knows at this point)
    Cobby, Helmpo
    Garp and Sengoku
    Axe Hand Morgan
    Smoker and Tashigi
    Sentomaru
    Aokiji
    Black Beard Pirates
    Enel?

Of course a lot of those will be in the same arc

also islands we know they'll go to
    Elbaf
    Raftel
    re going to Fishman Island to fulfill the prophecy
    and maybe someday that lightning Island

did I miss anything? Seems like way to much for 5 years

I knew I forgot something VegaPunk's SSG and the 3 Ancient Weapons
    I agree. And personally, I'm partial to the interpretation of the Volume 97 SBS answer to mean 5 years to One Pieice / Laugh Tale (Post-Wano), then the final war following the revelation of the treasure. Which sounds about right.

-Vegapunk / SSG / Revolutionary / Underworld arc
    -Elbaf arc
    -Lodestar
    -God Valley

I feel like these islands are pre-Laugh Tale. Just my opinion of course. I'm actually working on a video right now talking about different potential pre-Laugh Tale Islands.

But I also agree that Oda's likely to have at least one unexpected island remaining.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by fapfapfap View Post
    I think Wano is the last arc anyone joins. I can't fathom something joining after Wano. Oda has straight up said that Wano arc is accelerating the series towards its climax. Imagine if someone joined right before the Strawhats reach Raftel, what would be the point?

Personally I think Carrot and maybe Yamato might BOTH join.
    I think the exception to this is perhaps someone returning like Vivi or a well-established character like Smoker switching sides.
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

"ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

Quote Originally Posted by Vongola_Boss_XI View Post
    I think the exception to this is perhaps someone returning like Vivi or a well-established character like Smoker switching sides.
    I can't see Vivi or Smoker joining, maybe after Raftel but not before. Vivi is too important to the overall story of One Piece the even Im singled her out as one of the lights that need to be "extinguished". While she is strong in other ways she genuinely just isn't cut out to be a pirate. In regards to Smoker, I'm a firm believer in the DF number theory so that crosses him off the list to me. Smoker and Tashigi have also been tied at the hip throughout the series that its hard to see them go separate ways. Most of all, neither of them are currently here in Wano arc.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information