View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
275. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

    125 45.45%
  • Shinobu

    1 0.36%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc.)

    1 0.36%
  • Momo

    8 2.91%
  • Tama

    7 2.55%
  • Carrot

    58 21.09%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

    7 2.55%
  • Caribou

    4 1.45%
  • Other

    22 8.00%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

    42 15.27%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 120 of 197 FirstFirst ... 20 70 110 118 119 120 121 122 130 170 ... LastLast
Results 2,381 to 2,400 of 3940

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

  1. #2381

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    Yamato literally stated he wants to go out to Sea

    whether he'll join or not is something entirely different
    True. Oden also just wanted to go out to the sea and ended up joining Whitebeard and later on Roger

  2. #2382

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon D. Luffy View Post
    I'm very against Momo joining, because I think it's bad taste after what Oden leaving caused to his country.

    Wano needs a shogun who can be there, for once.
    Momo is a child. At best he'll be a figurehead shogun until he reaches majority, so there's no comparison to Oden leaving here. Also, Momo has a sister who could easily be shogun in his place since she's spent the last 20 years actually helping the country any way she could alongside Denjiro.

    This doesn't mean that Momo will join the Strawhats, but I don't see a reason why he MUST stay in Wano.

    Besides that, one argument in favor of Momo travelling with the Strawhats is that, during Zou, it was made a point that Oden died before passing down to Momo some of the traditions of the Kouzuki clan, like reading/writing the ancient language and carving the Poneglyphs, so travelling with Robin could help him restore the knowledge of the clan (since she can teach him to read/write the language), and then discovering the truth of the world in Laugh Tale is an important plot for the family.

  3. #2383
    Witch of Miracles otakufan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Ocean of Fragments

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    I definitely see the argument that Yamato's being set up to join Momo's court as a new retainer, but I'm not sure I fully buy it just yet. I think it undersells Yamato's early characterization (the connection to Ace, full on asking Luffy to take him to sea with him) in the service of overplaying what I consider to be his more short-term motivations (aiding the Kozuki rebellion, keeping Momonosuke safe, defeating his father).

    Is he interested in opening Wano's border and keeping Momo safe? Sure, but so are the Akazaya, the Yakuza bosses, the samurai, and (presumably) the people of Wano writ large, once their emancipation from Kaidou becomes real. While I have full confidence that Yamato will be on good terms with Momo and the Akazaya by the end of the arc, the goals seemingly binding him to Wano are things that the Akazaya are already planning to do anyway. Yamato joining the Akazaya doesn't change anything, doesn't shift the direction of their plans, it just serves to give him a place to go - it's roughly equivalent to saying "eh, they can just join the Grand Fleet", except it ignores his stated interest in going out to sea and leaves Yamato pretty much stuck in a friendlier version of the place he's been stuck in for most of his life, when he's already made it clear he wants to leave, even if he also wants to make it better.

    To be sure, he cares about Wano and the Kozuki Shogunate's wellbeing, but so did Oden, and I think that comparison is apt even beyond Yamato's admittedly over-the-top veneration of the man. Oden felt okay to leave Wano the first time because he believed it to be in safe hands with his father - the knowledge that Wano and Momonosuke are in good, capable hands who will do what needs to be done only serves to free Yamato to pursue his own ambitions, in my mind.

    Still obviously quite a bit of arc left to go, so plenty of room for development to shift things one way or another, but I'm not convinced that Yamato's fate is to simply become a retainer for Momonosuke, or even if it is, that this would necessarily preclude him from sailing with the Strawhats.

    Black tea is best enjoyed with one's fellow monsters.

  4. #2384
    Discovered Stowaway andre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Mt. GOATmore

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Momo needs to become his own man and step away from his father's shadow. That might mean staying on Zou and ruling as Shogun in a way Oden couldnt, instead of being a great warrior. It could be something else, but nothing comes to mind.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

  5. #2385

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by otakufan View Post
    I definitely see the argument that Yamato's being set up to join Momo's court as a new retainer, but I'm not sure I fully buy it just yet. I think it undersells Yamato's early characterization (the connection to Ace, full on asking Luffy to take him to sea with him) in the service of overplaying what I consider to be his more short-term motivations (aiding the Kozuki rebellion, keeping Momonosuke safe, defeating his father).
    Well, the trait that has been most emphatically hammered down since Yamato's introduction is his passion for Oden's legacy, and the first goal Yamato has ever stated (in his early characterization) is the intent of carrying Oden's will and opening the borders of the country. So it's understandable why people are focusing on this side of him instead.

    The desire to go out to sea is real, and we shall see how this sugestion will play out, but right now it is the least important thing in Yamato's development.

    And, quite honestly, Momo and Yamato becoming tight friends who will stick together from now on is just too perfect considering who are their fathers. It even sounds scripted... Oh, it is.

  6. #2386
    Witch of Miracles otakufan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Ocean of Fragments

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation View Post
    Well, the trait that has been most emphatically hammered down since Yamato's introduction is his passion for Oden's legacy, and the first goal Yamato has ever stated (in his early characterization) is the intent of carrying Oden's will and opening the borders of the country. So it's understandable why people are focusing on this side of him instead.

    The desire to go out to sea is real, and we shall see how this sugestion will play out, but right now it is the least important thing in Yamato's development.
    I agree on all points. All I'm saying is that the goal of opening Wano's borders is basically equivalent to beating Kaidou and restoring the Kozuki Shogunate - it's something that's going to happen regardless of whether Yamato gets personally involved, and frankly I have a hard time believing that it's something that would be more involved than a decree issued by the new Shogun. While I'm sure there will be logistical concerns that need to be sorted out, for narrative purposes it's entirely possible that the goal of opening Wano's borders could be completed by the end of the arc.

    Saying Yamato has to stay behind because he wants to open Wano's borders just rings a bit hollow to me.

    And, quite honestly, Momo and Yamato becoming tight friends who will stick together from now on is just too perfect considering who are their fathers. It even sounds scripted... Oh, it is.
    I don't disagree, and I'd also note that, were it not for time travel shenaniganry, they'd actually be the same age.

    But I don't think them forging a friendship, or even something of a family dynamic, necessarily prevents Yamato from going on a journey with the Strawhats - it just gives him a place to return to once the journey's over.

    Black tea is best enjoyed with one's fellow monsters.

  7. #2387
    Button Pusher Shift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation View Post
    I don't believe Yamato is going to become a future crewmate either, but specifically your reply to my post didn't sound very objective to me, honestly. In response to my sugestion that Yamato could join the crew alongside Momo (since they're being tagged together), you brought up the reasoning that two more nakama besides Jimbe is not happening, that you're actively against it, which I think is much more subjective than anything else.

    I'm not saying that your argument is invalid due to subjectivity, and it's a fair reason to base your own expectation on your instincts... but you shouldn't quickly dismiss as you did the possibility that Yamato and Momo could be developed as a pair of future crewmates.
    You said I was ignoring the possibility. When I said I’m actively against it, I meant that I acknowledge the idea, but I choose not to agree with it. I don’t think it would help the story to have lots of people join the crew at once, that’s my analysis separate from my feelings. I certainly won’t complain if we get more than 11 Straw Hats. As for what I should or shouldn’t dismiss, that’s my own choice, and I’ll answer for it when the time comes. But my reasons are not personal, I assure you.

    But Jimbe is not joining together "right now all at once" with anybody else. Jimbe is a crewmember already. For example, let's compare him with Carrot, who we both believe could join and who has been together with the crew for more than a hundred chapters. Let's see: (1) Jimbe is in the big Strawhats panel in chapter 988, (2) Jimbe is officially treated as a complete Strawhat even in the most mundane moments now, (3) Jimbe is featured in colorspreads now, (4) Jimbe had many joining scenes in the past and (5) Jimbe is put as a crewmate in merchandising and promotion... while Carrot is not portrayed like that at all. The reason is simple. It's because one of them is a Strawhats already and the other is not. So if Carrot joins the crew at the end of Wano, she's not joining together with Jimbe. No, she's joining alone (or together with Yamato). For the same reason, Jimbe won't be sharing the spotlight with Carrot or anynbody else because his recruitment has already happened even if the toast was delayed.

    As I said before, I think you're putting too much weight into the end-of-arc celebration as a big moment for Jimbe, as his ritual of officialization, which I think is not. It will be indeed a big moment for Carrot if she joins, or for Yamato, or for Momo, or for Tama... and for them it would be sharing the spotlight if more than one of them joined together (with the exception of Momo and Yamato for the reason of being a pair). But for Jimbe it's only a toast.

    All in all, this celebration will be a huge end-of-super-saga celebration and will wrap up many different plot threads from the last 10 years, so it would not be surprising if Oda did an unprecedented amount of big moments without one diminishing the other.
    You do realize I haven’t even mentioned the party today, right? I said Jinbe is official now, in Wano, meaning as of his arrival. He got his title card, he got his color spreads, I’m pretty satisfied. I’m not worried about his welcome toast being upstaged, since like I said, his buildup will ensure he still stands tall next to anyone.

    But the reality is that Wano is the arc Jinbe joined; not Fishman Island, not Totto Land. Everything that came before, for whatever reason Oda had in mind, was leading up to Jinbe joining in Wano. We get one more, whether Carrot, Yamato, Momo, whoever, that’ll be two in one arc: that’s the “right now” I was talking about, this arc. Two Straw Hats in one arc is already uncharted territory. And hitting three in one arc just does not seem plausible to me.

    What I do think is that the party will be the jumping off point for the last person to join. Otherwise, there was no reason to delay it. One of the single most important events in this series is when someone joins the Straw Hat crew. The only reason I can see to delay celebrating someone joining is for someone else to join as well, especially if it completes Luffy’s ideal group of ten. More than that, though? I just don't think so.



    Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

  8. #2388

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by otakufan View Post
    I agree on all points. All I'm saying is that the goal of opening Wano's borders is basically equivalent to beating Kaidou and restoring the Kozuki Shogunate - it's something that's going to happen regardless of whether Yamato gets personally involved, and frankly I have a hard time believing that it's something that would be more involved than a decree issued by the new Shogun. While I'm sure there will be logistical concerns that need to be sorted out, for narrative purposes it's entirely possible that the goal of opening Wano's borders could be completed by the end of the arc.

    Saying Yamato has to stay behind because he wants to open Wano's borders just rings a bit hollow to me.
    Yes, I actually think that opening the borders of Wano will be resolved with a decree, although I have hope for something else extra regarding this plotline (a theory of mine about immigration).

    That said, I'm not personally focusing on opening the borders as the thing which will tie Yamato down to staying in Wano, but rather the intent of carrying Oden's will, which only the first step is to open the borders, but I guess there's something deeper after that. So what is Yamato supposed to do "as Oden" after that? Or is Yamato even supposed to continue being Oden instead of discovering his own personal goals?

    Honestly, these things are all open to different outcomes, so anything is possible, but right now what has not been highlighted is Yamato's desire to become a pirate, especially considering when he said that he didn't even know that Momonosuke and the scabbards were still alive. The narrative right now is leaning way more towards his affiliation with the Kouzuki. Yamato's last sentence is very powerful - "I would die for you".

    You see, even in name Yamato is a homage to Japan.

    I don't disagree, and I'd also note that, were it not for time travel shenaniganry, they'd actually be the same age.

    But I don't think them forging a friendship, or even something of a family dynamic, necessarily prevents Yamato from going on a journey with the Strawhats - it just gives him a place to return to once the journey's over.
    Well, this friendship doesn't prevent anything from a completely rational point of view... but I don't think stories work like that. If the point is to forge a powerful relationship between the two, what makes the most sense to me from a writing point of view is to build up on this relationship instead of diverting the focus to making Yamato a Strawhat. Not that Yamato's interactions will be strictly with one party and not the other, but the deeper bond to receive narrative focus should be the one where Yamato will join. So if we keep seeing more and more of Yamato and Momo and them getting a tight family dynamic, then I think the chances of Yamato joining the crew will be really low.

    But there's also this crazy route I suggested of both Yamato and Momo joining the Strawhats together for the final journey.

  9. #2389

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Can we get a count of how many times Jinbe offered to throw away his life to save others? It even became a meme around here he said it so much.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  10. #2390

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Can we get a count of how many times Jinbe offered to throw away his life to save others? It even became a meme around here he said it so much.
    Because that's Jimbe's main character trait, which is to sacrifice himself for people and causes that he values more than himself (and right now it's Luffy). But we're not at the point of saying the same about Yamato, so he claiming that he would die for Momonosuke is important right now and a valid point to understand with whom stands his foremost allegiance at the moment. Obviously, the sentiment was kinda obvious considering Yamato sees himself as Oden, so Momo is his supposed son, lol, but still... especially considering this was the most impactful and iconic scene from Yamato up until now, in my opinion.

  11. #2391
    Discovered Stowaway fana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    France

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Yamato is definitely top candidate for me now. Can't wait to see more of her fighting style.

  12. #2392

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    It's interesting that the countdown images for Chapter 1,000, except for Jinbe, every crewmate is being presented in the panel of his very first interaction with Luffy.

    Could this mean something, or is it an arbitrary rule? Could Chapter 1,000's cover spread reveal the 11th Straw Hat? Place your bets!





    Last edited by Deicide; November 5th, 2020 at 05:07 AM.
    No, I'm not back. I never left. It's just that it has been a long time since I had something to say.

  13. #2393

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Would've worked better to start with Luffy and working your way up to a potential eleventh crew member. As it is counting them down from latest hire to first it'd feel weird if the new guy comes after number one

  14. #2394

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Would've worked better to start with Luffy and working your way up to a potential eleventh crew member. As it is counting them down from latest hire to first it'd feel weird if the new guy comes after number one
    I don't mean the countdown revealing the character, but hinting at the chapter content. Like, we get to Luffy as #1, and then the chapter in the next week has the entire crew (including the 11th) in its color spread.

    And Oda could throw a curveball and include a lot of other allies (Grand Fleet, Vivi, several arc princesses, Law...) with the SHs to hide the character in plain sight.
    No, I'm not back. I never left. It's just that it has been a long time since I had something to say.

  15. #2395

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    It's interesting that the countdown images for Chapter 1,000, except for Jinbe, every crewmate is being presented in the panel of his very first interaction with Luffy.
    Since you used those words, I can debunk it by saying Luffy and Chopper interacted before that when Chopper pulled Luffy on top the Mountain when he was about to faint.

  16. #2396
    Your long-lost brother Jabra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    (ಥ ͜ʖ ಥ)

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    I miss these old designs so much. Especially Robin and Franky. Chopper too.

  17. #2397
    Discovered Stowaway andre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Mt. GOATmore

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    I love new Franky, but Robin has not looked anywhere near as good since the TimeSkip, even when she still looks great...
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

  18. #2398

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    Since you used those words, I can debunk it by saying Luffy and Chopper interacted before that when Chopper pulled Luffy on top the Mountain when he was about to faint.
    I was technically wrong about being the first interaction with Luffy, but it's actually the first interaction with a crew member (in this case, Nami).

    Yes, Chopper had "interacted" with Luffy earlier, but Luffy was was almost unconscious and didn't really pay attention to Chopper until later.

    Also, CHapter 516's color spread reckons it as Chopper's "debut", despite him been introduced earlier as a reindeer.



    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    I love new Franky, but Robin has not looked anywhere near as good since the TimeSkip, even when she still looks great...
    Robin's design is the one I miss the most.

    It took me some time to get used to new Franky, but now it's weird to look at the old one, lol.
    Last edited by Deicide; November 5th, 2020 at 10:51 AM.
    No, I'm not back. I never left. It's just that it has been a long time since I had something to say.

  19. #2399

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    I still miss Going Merry. I've never liked the Sunny. Merry looked like a boat. Sunny looks like a carnival ride. And its been over a decade. I'm just never adjusting to it.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  20. #2400
    Your long-lost brother Jabra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    (ಥ ͜ʖ ಥ)

    Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

    New Franky is acceptable when he reverts to his original hairstyle. I will always miss the Popeye arms, but what just doesn't work is the shaved head. He's a back alley mobster, not a hooligan.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 6 users browsing this thread. (3 members and 3 guests)

  1. Galleon Panthera
  2. K. Kira XXIII
  3. Kaiolino

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts