View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
241. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

100 41.49%
  • Shinobu

1 0.41%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc.)

1 0.41%
  • Momo

8 3.32%
  • Tama

7 2.90%
  • Carrot

53 21.99%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 2.90%
  • Caribou

3 1.24%
  • Other

22 9.13%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

39 16.18%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 117 of 133 FirstFirst ... 17 67 107 115 116 117 118 119 127 ... LastLast
Results 2,321 to 2,340 of 2652

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKingJC View Post
    Jimbei's too fat to fit in the train.
    Is it bad I entered this thread to see if anyone commented on that lol
    Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

The vibe I'm getting from Yamato is that his current situation will lead to him bonding with Momo. Son of Oden and son of Kaido. I wonder if they will learn some kind of lesson from each other.

From Carrot, this chapter makes my prediction more likely. I've said many times that her leftover purpose in the story is to see Pedro avenged. I knew she was going to confront Perospero. The big question is if she can do it herself, or if one of the Straw Hats will step in. Sorry, Carrot fans, but I think it's Sanji who's going to save her and defeat Peros. There are two red flags in this chapter: first, Wanda magically appeared with Carrot, thus making Carrot no longer the only mink around. Second, Carrot left the battle behind to actively seek vengeance. This to me screams the kind of uncontrolled emotion that, in storytelling, usually leads to one's downfall.
    No, I'm not back. I never left. It's just that it has been a long time since I had something to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    The anime made that silver. Oda always has it gold, along with his muttonchop things and eyebrows.
    Huh, true. Shows how little impact Oda's offical coloring has if one is mostly exposed to the anime and merch versions

Spoiler:

It looks better tbh, but Gold is fine too.

@andre curious theory, I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    The vibe I'm getting from Yamato is that his current situation will lead to him bonding with Momo. Son of Oden and son of Kaido. I wonder if they will learn some kind of lesson from each other.

From Carrot, this chapter makes my prediction more likely. I've said many times that her leftover purpose in the story is to see Pedro avenged. I knew she was going to confront Perospero. The big question is if she can do it herself, or if one of the Straw Hats will step in. Sorry, Carrot fans, but I think it's Sanji who's going to save her and defeat Peros. There are two red flags in this chapter: first, Wanda magically appeared with Carrot, thus making Carrot no longer the only mink around. Second, Carrot left the battle behind to actively seek vengeance. This to me screams the kind of uncontrolled emotion that, in storytelling, usually leads to one's downfall.
    I still don't buy that her purpose in the story is to only see Pedro is avenged. It's been foreshadowed since she saw Perospero on the Sea Slug during the escape from Whole Cake Island that she was going to have to face him again. Like, her only purpose in the story is to fulfil some revenge plotline that wasn't really necessary to the story overall? It might contribute to character growth and character development overall, but was it really necessary for the plot if that's the case? With all this stuff going on, especially in Wano? As I've said before, I don't buy it. Especially since that means she does nothing with Pedro's last words regarding the Dawn of the World. Fighting Perospero doesn't answer that. Opening Wano's borders and "bringing the Dawn" to that country is a prelude of what's to come and will paint a better picture for it. It will also be that decisive moment where Carrot moves in the story from there. Either she stays or goes (though I wonder why she'd leave to begin with).

EDIT: Though I'm genuinely curious: Where the hell was Wanda this entire time? Like she pops up outta nowhere.
    Last edited by SeaOfHope; October 17th, 2020 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaOfHope View Post
    I still don't buy that her purpose in the story is to only see Pedro is avenged. It's been foreshadowed since she saw Perospero on the Sea Slug during the escape from Whole Cake Island that she was going to have to face him again. Like, her only purpose in the story is to fulfil some revenge plotline that wasn't really necessary to the story overall? It might contribute to character growth and character development overall, but was it really necessary for the plot if that's the case? With all this stuff going on, especially in Wano? As I've said before, I don't buy it. Especially since that means she does nothing with Pedro's last words regarding the Dawn of the World. Fighting Perospero doesn't answer that. Opening Wano's borders and "bringing the Dawn" to that country is a prelude of what's to come and will paint a better picture for it. It will also be that decisive moment where Carrot moves in the story from there. Either she stays or goes (though I wonder why she'd leave to begin with).
    Anything left for Carrot can be easily fulfilled without her joining the crew. Oda has given us a general sense for how the endgame of One Piece will play out and part of that endgame will be a gigantic war involving everyone Luffy has ever allied with fighting alongside him. All of these characters will be present at that battle fighting to bring about the "Dawn of the World". The minks will be there, as will Carrot, so she'll get contribute to the dawn one way or the other, Who joins Luffy's crew is just a question of who's going to Laugh Tale.

the Dawn of the World.
    For there to be a story line regarding the Dawn, Carrot should first show any interest on it.

I still don't buy that her purpose in the story is to only see Pedro is avenged.
    That's not her only purpose, it's her leftover purpose. She had three purposes, IMO:
    - To witness Pedro's death to give a proper emotional feedback to the readers;
    - To show the readers what minks are capable of, including gliding, electro and sulong;
    - To see Pedro avenged, thus fulfilling Pedro's arc in his stead.

Once all those purposes are fulfilled, her arc is complete. There has been no build up of other purposes at all. If she were meant to have more story, including joining, I think she's have gotten a lot of setup in Wano. She was, instead, neglected. She's a WCI character, she's in Wano because here is where WCI will be finally resolved (which is one reason I think Capone will show up as well).

EDIT: Though I'm genuinely curious: Where the hell was Wanda this entire time? Like she pops up outta nowhere.
    She appeared last in the Sunny. She was in the shot where the SHs hug Jinbe, but was cut out due to page space. I think she was meant to have been around all this time, which is weird, as she wasn't showcased in any of the few Carrot shots since we arrived in Onigashima.
    No, I'm not back. I never left. It's just that it has been a long time since I had something to say.

Quote Originally Posted by PKRolling456 View Post
    Anything left for Carrot can be easily fulfilled without her joining the crew. Oda has given us a general sense for how the endgame of One Piece will play out and part of that endgame will be a gigantic war involving everyone Luffy has ever allied with fighting alongside him. All of these characters will be present at that battle fighting to bring about the "Dawn of the World". The minks will be there, as will Carrot, so she'll get contribute to the dawn one way or the other, Who joins Luffy's crew is just a question of who's going to Laugh Tale.
    Except that doesn't answer the question of why she needed to know. Of course the Straw Hats will achieve that, but all of that could have been relayed to the audience without her knowledge. The simple fact is that Carrot has no specified end point because she literally said upon being discovered on the Sunny that she always wanted an adventure. Whether she accomplishes this with the crew or not is irrelevant since that is what we know so far. If the Dawn was that inconsequential to Carrot, this knowledge wouldn't have been brought to her attention. The inevitability is that she will find out and I only speculate she's going to join is because she:
    1. Is genuinely curious of the world outside Zou.
    2. Has no glaring obligations or really a reason to go back to Zou (She stowed away once already, what makes you think she won't do it again?).
    3. Has been seen frequently with the Straw Hats as opposed to her own tribe.
    4. Has to justify why she has been in the story for this long. A side-story of a revenge plotline cannot be an endpoint.
    If the Dawn of the World was so obvious, why does Carrot act surprise knowing this? The Mink Tribe already know of their connection and "brotherhood" with the Kozuki Clan, yet she doesn't know what this event is? Why are the Mink Tribe connected with Kozuki Clan (because Oden was surprised about it, too)? So many questions, so little time. Some of them don't really even require her knowledge, but some things need to be addressed soon.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

That's not her only purpose, it's her leftover purpose. She had three purposes, IMO:
    - To witness Pedro's death to give a proper emotional feedback to the readers;
    - To show the readers what minks are capable of, including gliding, electro and sulong;
    - To see Pedro avenged, thus fulfilling Pedro's arc in his stead.

Once all those purposes are fulfilled, her arc is complete. There has been no build up of other purposes at all. If she were meant to have more story, including joining, I think she's have gotten a lot of setup in Wano. She was, instead, neglected. She's a WCI character, she's in Wano because here is where WCI will be finally resolved (which is one reason I think Capone will show up as well).
    What is leftover is her knowing about the Dawn of the World. That has already been stated. It's what she does with this knowledge I feel where she'll go in the story. Primarily because that needs to justify the length of time she's been around. Her vengeance/revenge plotline is nowhere near the level it was for Kyros/Toy Soldier, whose narrative was completely tied to Dressrosa and the events that unfolded. From the downfall of King Riku's reign to being turned into a toy and being forgotten by everyone to his wife being killed by Diamante to watching over his daughter for 10 years while she never knew he was her father the entire time. At the end of the day, his endpoint was helping free the island of Dressrosa from Doflamingo and letting him be with his daughter. That's all he wanted: to shed the blood and darkness from hsi past and live peacefully with Rebecca.

When you see Carrot, what is exactly that endpoint? Where is the endpoint exactly that points she'll go back to Zou? Because it glaringly obvious she'd rather be with the Straw Hats than the Mink Tribe right now.

When you see Carrot, what is exactly that endpoint? Where is the endpoint exactly that points she'll go back to Zou?
    Pedro avenged, Wano saved. She bids farewell to her friends and promises to help them again when they meet. She had enough adventure for now. The Sunny goes, she stays with her people.

Because it glaringly obvious she'd rather be with the Straw Hats than the Mink Tribe right now.
    I see nothing "glaring obvious" about her wanting to be with the crew rather than the minks. She's not an outcast, she's not an odd one that feels out of place, she has no big dream that requires her to be away from her tribe.

She's an young girl that embarked out of curiosity in what she expected to be a fun afternoon adventure. There's no moment in her 200-chapters presence that hint at her wanting to leave Zou for long.

IMO, if she was going to join, she'd have her role expanded during Wano. Instead, she was left in the background until she's needed to fulfill her established arc. No, I don't think she's joining.

Pedro avenged, Wano saved. She bids farewell to her friends and promises to help them again when they meet. She had enough adventure for now. The Sunny goes, she stays with her people.
    Honestly, its wishful thinking that she has had enough of adventure. If she wanted to stay with her people, don't know why she isn't up there fighting the person that ravaged their homeland. Where's that obligation now?

I see nothing "glaring obvious" about her wanting to be with the crew rather than the minks. She's not an outcast, she's not an odd one that feels out of place, she has no big dream that requires her to be away from her tribe.

She's an young girl that embarked out of curiosity in what she expected to be a fun afternoon adventure. There's no moment in her 200-chapters presence that hint at her wanting to leave Zou for long.

IMO, if she was going to join, she'd have her role expanded during Wano. Instead, she was left in the background until she's needed to fulfill her established arc. No, I don't think she's joining.
    If it wasn't glaringly obvious, what is the reason she went with WCI that couldn't have been done by both Pedro and Pekoms? It seems like this discussion has been trying to paint Carrot as a tool for the Mink Tribe and used to display their abilities when, once again, Pedro and Pekoms served those purposes. I said years back that I always found it odd that Oda had Carrot come for seemingly no reason. If there's no justification for that, she shouldn't be with the crew right now. Because what was the point? If she had no lingering storyline, why are we speculating where her endpoint is? Did she ever say she was done with adventuring? Did Shishillian or Inuarashi ever explain why Carrot should go with the Straw Hat crew instead of them during the raid? There has honestly been no indication that she's done adventuring, when even as early as entering Wano she shows excitement over a whirlpool.

So as I've said, the story does need to justify why she's been here this long.

Except that doesn't answer the question of why she needed to know.
    She didn't.

Pedro prepared her for his death, she needed to know how important the Strawhats are, and that it's worth risking your life for them.

The important part for Carrot was the time the Minks and Kozuki clan waited for them, and that's what she replied to. That's what shows her how important the Strawhats are.
    She doesn't know anything about the Dawn, so that part was not for her, it was for the audience. She doesn't care about the Dawn, yet.
    She might get interested after she learns more about it, but even then it's not necessary for her to join them.

Talking about wishful thinking...

"There will be an answer, let it be."

Wanda suddenly appearing just comes down to Oda cutting corners again. We will never know if Wanda was there from the beginning, if she just arrived at this place etc. Oda needed her there so she is there. It will be a 2v1 fight against Perosperos with Carrot probably landing the final blow. I also expect Perosperos to be the one to taunt Carrot about Pedros death and those taunts also mentioning the Dawn that Pedro never managed to see. We might get more information about the Dawn from that.

Carrots lack of involvement in Wano has been talked about a lot. I think it just comes down to how Oda told the story. He knew he needed to introduce Carrot before Wano because Wano is such a massively stacked arc when it comes to story and characters. Thats why he included her in WCI. He introduces her to the readers and sets her story up with Pedros death. But then Wano started. She reunited with the Minks and imo Oda made a huge mistake not showing that to us in more detail but it is probably him just cutting stuff again to move the story forward faster. The minks in general had no real role in the first two acts because they couldnt show themselves to the population of Wano. So Oda had her just sidelined for now. All her setup was already done he just needed to wait for Perosperos to be near her to continue her story.

My prediction for Carrots story progress from here: fight Perosperos -> reunite with some of the Straw Hats to help fight whatever is left of Kaidos forces -> end of battle feast where she will have a talk with Neko and Ino about the Dawn and tell Neko about Pedros death -> decide she wants to sail with the Straw Hats and either ask Luffy directly or sneak on the Sunny once again.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhenja View Post
    She didn't.

Pedro prepared her for his death, she needed to know how important the Strawhats are, and that it's worth risking your life for them.

The important part for Carrot was the time the Minks and Kozuki clan waited for them, and that's what she replied to. That's what shows her how important the Strawhats are.
    She doesn't know anything about the Dawn, so that part was not for her, it was for the audience. She doesn't care about the Dawn, yet.
    She might get interested after she learns more about it, but even then it's not necessary for her to join them.

Talking about wishful thinking...
    Their conversation was completely about the Dawn and that it related to the Straw Hats, since that is what Pedro said himself. He didn't have time to completely elaborate since they were being chased by Big Mom, just that she will understand why they're important and must be kept alive for their voyage when the time comes. It rings similarly when he begged Sanji and the rest to save the Dukes and that they must absolutely not die and that "the world is waiting for them," referring to Toki's prophecy. And the question I bring up is "why does she to know?" This knowledge could have been conveyed without her knowledge, so it stands to reason she will understand. That's not an assumption, it was the basis of the last conversation Carrot had with Pedro. When Wano's borders open after 800 years of isolation, I'm assuming we should have a better idea why the country closed itself during the implied rise of the World Government after the Void Century. Maybe not an answer, but something to clues us.

It is wishful thinking to think she might join because of that, but its even more wishful thinking that she'll just up n' go when she has shown no real obligation, attachment, or responsibilities that is holding her back in the slightest. Nothing justifies why she was the only Mink to go with the Straw Hats instead of her leaders. You could say she was narratively placed where she was to eventually fight Perospero, but nothing in the story validates why she was allowed to stray from the Musketeers. Remember, Shishillian was taking direct control over the Minks from Inuarashi, but he lets Carrot go? I just don't see a reason why she'd leave. There's no "end point" with this character since only real motivation we know is that she wants an adventure and she's stuck by that since.

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    We don't know why Yamato wants to go out exactly, and that's a big deal since it could eventually come up with something like "Yeah, I always wanted to go to God Valley(or something), cause it says in Oden's diary, that place is awesome". So that we'll know she's actually going to ride temporarily.

Cause yeah, its hard to imagine that 1-Luffy is not picking up someone from Wano, and 2-Oden's diary won't play a role in the outside world, where the current owner must get out to let some scummy villains know of its existence.
    Luffy doesn't want any answers handed to him. That's why he didn't take Zeff's journal about the Grand Line, and refused to hear Rayleigh talk about the treasure. Oden's journal is just another strategy guide that Luffy won't want to bother with, and the likelihood that Yamato knows it by heart is yet another red flag to me. The most I'm expecting out of that book is some sort of clue as to where the last Road Poneglyph is.

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    For there to be a story line regarding the Dawn, Carrot should first show any interest on it.
    And this is her time to show that interest, now that the two causes of Pedro's death are in sight and she'll need to face the words he left to her.

She didn't.

Pedro died to pass on the message she needed to hear. That's true of every dead mentor in this series. Carrot would not have changed without Pedro making her do so through his death. And now that she's changed, she's not going to ignore what he said about the Dawn. Somehow, she's going to make his dream a reality. The message was 100% for her.

And no, it's not strictly necessary for her to join the crew to help them, but it does help her case in that joining them WILL help them, as it has when she used Sulong the first time.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Maybe Oda got a new editor who isn't as in to bunnies.

I sincerely doubt Carrot's sole purpose was to avenge someone who was intended to die and not have major repercussions as a result. In a series where death is one of the most poignant and plot-driving events, there has to be a real reason why Pedro had to die and Carrot avenge him. She can't be exactly the same as when we first met her, content to go back to life atop an elephant.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Maybe Oda got a new editor who isn't as in to bunnies.

That's a parallel, right there, unprompted. Carrot and Luffy, both running the same direction, the same stride, their panels and speech bubbles in the same layout right next to each other. Oda isn't sticking her in conjunction with the Straw Hats to please some editor. He's got a solid plan for her, and it could very easily lead to her and Luffy winding up on the same path.
    Last edited by Shift; October 18th, 2020 at 03:58 AM.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Their conversation was completely about the Dawn and that it related to the Straw Hats, since that is what Pedro said himself.
    Are we talking about the same "conversation"?

This "conversation" is Pedro's monolog explaining to Carrot the importance of the Strawhats.
    The Dawn is only mentioned in passing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    Pedro died to pass on the message she needed to hear. That's true of every dead mentor in this series. Carrot would not have changed without Pedro making her do so through his death. And now that she's changed, she's not going to ignore what he said about the Dawn. Somehow, she's going to make his dream a reality. The message was 100% for her.
    His message was to keep them alive and help them escape, that was his last wish.
    He didn't say much about the Dawn... only mentioned it, but you're right she's going to remember his last words once she hears what's written on the Poneglyph of Wano.

His dream was to see the Dawn.
    She already helped him to achieve this dream, by helping the Strawhats escape from Big Mom...
    And now that she got the chance, first thing she does is leave the Strawhats to revenge Pedro. You would assume her priority would be helping the Strawhats.

"There will be an answer, let it be."

Honestly, its wishful thinking that she has had enough of adventure. If she wanted to stay with her people, don't know why she isn't up there fighting the person that ravaged their homeland. Where's that obligation now?

If it wasn't glaringly obvious, what is the reason she went with WCI that couldn't have been done by both Pedro and Pekoms? It seems like this discussion has been trying to paint Carrot as a tool for the Mink Tribe and used to display their abilities when, once again, Pedro and Pekoms served those purposes. I said years back that I always found it odd that Oda had Carrot come for seemingly no reason. If there's no justification for that, she shouldn't be with the crew right now. Because what was the point? If she had no lingering storyline, why are we speculating where her endpoint is? Did she ever say she was done with adventuring? Did Shishillian or Inuarashi ever explain why Carrot should go with the Straw Hat crew instead of them during the raid? There has honestly been no indication that she's done adventuring, when even as early as entering Wano she shows excitement over a whirlpool.

So as I've said, the story does need to justify why she's been here this long.
    She is a major character in this saga. Like Kinemon, Law and Momo. Oda decided to write her as a major supporting character and so far she did exactly that. She is fun to have around.

But that's still a step below being a permanent member of the protagonist crew. You need a few more things, like a major character conflict that can only be solved by going to the sea and a connection to Luffy that is related to helping solve that conflict. Carrot lacks that, she lacks any major personal issues or character arc, she was happy before the strawhats arrived and will continue to be happy if they leave without her.
    Last edited by Dragon D. Luffy; October 18th, 2020 at 06:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon D. Luffy View Post
    She is a major character in this saga. Like Kinemon, Law and Momo. Oda decided to write her as a major supporting character and so far she did exactly that. She is fun to have around.

But that's still a step below being a permanent member of the protagonist crew. You need a few more things, like a major character conflict that can only be solved by going to the sea and a connection to Luffy that is related to helping solve that conflict. Carrot lacks that, she lacks any major personal issues or character arc, she was happy before the strawhats arrived and will continue to be happy if they leave without her.
    Nicely said.

Carrot is an important character, but, to me, she's not being groomed to become a protagonist at all. She's been pushed to the background and only remembered when the plot directly concerns her.

THat's a similar reason why I think Yamato won't join either. He was introduced in the second half of the arc, instead of built up and expanded. He has an important role for sure (or else he wouldn't be needed at all), but I don't think that role has enough time to grow to a protagonist status before Wano is over.

Are we talking about the same "conversation"?

https://abload.de/img/0877-011upj5f.jpg
    https://abload.de/img/0877-0125zkon.jpg
    https://abload.de/img/0877-015uzj9e.jpg

This "conversation" is Pedro's monolog explaining to Carrot the importance of the Strawhats.
    The Dawn is only mentioned in passing.
    It's not mentioned in passing, it's stated in the beginning that the Straw Hats would bring the Dawn of the World and then followed up by her curiosity on why this would be Pedro's last venture. He then told her before he ordered her to help the ship set sail is that she will understand their importance and their voyage. She was already helping the Straw Hats for seemingly no reason outside a desire for adventure, but Pedro meant a deeper reason for him lending his aid. Meaning that the knowledge will eventually come to her when she realizes what the Straw Hats are striving for that both Kozuki Clan and Mink Tribe have awaited "for centuries." Pedro died after laying down the foundation, it was up to the rest of the Straw Hats to carry that out since he knew ever since Luffy was shown the Road Poneglyph he would be the one to do so. If it didn't involve Carrot, I once again ask you: what was the point in her being told this if it didn't matter to her? Pedro could have had an internal monologue and it would have had the same effect.

That's why I say the inherited will of Pedro was to see the Dawn to its fruition. By the time he fought Baron Tamago, he already knew the Straw Hats would be the ones who will do it. All he did during the time as the Nox Pirate captain he just laid the foundation so that their journey will become easier when the time comes...which is about now.
    Spoiler:

The journey he wanted as a kid, but needed a moment to "shine." Which he imparts onto Carrot.
    Spoiler:

It doesn't ring the same where there's no payoff on Carrot's end to note this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon D. Luffy View Post

Except you knew the purpose behind Kinemon/Momo, and Law. One was freeing the country from the tyrannical reign of Orochi and Kaido as well as completing Oden's will of opening Wano's border. The other was the person who pretty much set in motion all the things that have transpired to now: -> destroying the SAD factory's production of DF and kidnapping the creator -> break a hold of an underground broker supplying said DF -> igniting the wrath of Kaido. All of Law's actions have led to the eventual confrontation of Kaido.

So no, comparing these 3 to Carrot are not even close. Since, once again, you don't why she's been as prevalent with the Straw Hats till now. You could have had Pedro and Pekoms do any of the things you guys claim she was there to do. Both could display Sulong: Pedro was solely allowed by Nekomamushi to accompany the Sanji Retrieval Team assumedly because he was the only one who could calm down Pekoms if the need arises. This was confirmed by Pekoms later in the arc. Pekoms had a richer history with Pedro considering he was a member of the original Nox Pirates crew before defecting. In fact, Pekoms even knows of the circumstances of Pedro's lost lifespan, something Carrot herself didn't know. So ignoring all that and comparing her to them is rather disingenuous considering no one knows why she's constantly helped out the crew for this long with seemingly no narrative purpose provided.
    Last edited by SeaOfHope; October 18th, 2020 at 09:25 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information