View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
279. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

128 45.88%
  • Shinobu

1 0.36%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc.)

1 0.36%
  • Momo

8 2.87%
  • Tama

7 2.51%
  • Carrot

59 21.15%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 2.51%
  • Caribou

4 1.43%
  • Other

22 7.89%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

42 15.05%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 112 of 209 FirstFirst ... 12 62 102 110 111 112 113 114 122 162 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,240 of 4180

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

I could realistically see Vegapunk being introduced in chapter 1K.

I think that Ch. 1K will be during the intermission (which may take more than one chapter) and cover Sabo/Vivi/Hancock, the fate of the Shichibukai, and what Blackbeard is after.
    No, I'm not back. I never left. It's just that it has been a long time since I had something to say.

The five year goal reaffirms what I've suspected: Oda wants his crew finalized and ready for their last stretch of adventures together. If anyone else is joining, it makes sense to have them ready now and give them a few more stories to participate in, and someone completely new jumping on board after this point will be increasingly unlikely.

That's why I think he set Carrot up early 4 years ago, to attempt gradually folding her into the crew before this big battle cements her place. By the time the story ends, she'll have been active and present for at least 9 years.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    The five year goal reaffirms what I've suspected: Oda wants his crew finalized and ready for their last stretch of adventures together. If anyone else is joining, it makes sense to have them ready now and give them a few more stories to participate in, and someone completely new jumping on board after this point will be increasingly unlikely.

That's why I think he set Carrot up early 4 years ago, to attempt gradually folding her into the crew before this big battle cements her place. By the time the story ends, she'll have been active and present for at least 9 years.
    He set up Momo even earlier...
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    Momo is not able to defend himself and be part of a working crew. And his dream of being shogun calls for him to stay in Wano and grow into it.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?

Momo is not able to defend himself and be part of a working crew. And his dream of being shogun calls for him to stay in Wano and grow into it.
    I was a bit skeptical of Momo becoming a shogun because of Kaido's reminder that his dream came from the mouth of someone else, but his saying it again in the face of death confirms it's where Oda is going with the character. I don't think that takes him out of consideration for being a crewmate, though, since his name means "second to none" and in order to surpass his father he would need to find One Piece and "turn the world upside down." Of course, it could be Yamato or someone else as well taking the role of Wano representative, or it could be none of them, but I certainly don't think his dream takes him out of the ranking. Oden saw Wano as returning to the world stage and what better way than for its shogun to make a name in the world than on the Pirate King's crew?
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.

I was a bit skeptical of Momo becoming a shogun because of Kaido's reminder that his dream came from the mouth of someone else, but his saying it again in the face of death confirms it's where Oda is going with the character. I don't think that takes him out of consideration for being a crewmate, though, since his name means "second to none" and in order to surpass his father he would need to find One Piece and "turn the world upside down." Of course, it could be Yamato or someone else as well taking the role of Wano representative, or it could be none of them, but I certainly don't think his dream takes him out of the ranking. Oden saw Wano as returning to the world stage and what better way than for its shogun to make a name in the world than on the Pirate King's crew?
    Yes....but he's a child. Chapter 1 will always be the basis of why I don't see children traveling among the crew.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaOfHope View Post
    Yes....but he's a child. Chapter 1 will always be the basis of why I don't see children traveling among the crew.
    Luffy was a weak baby still when Shanks left. Momo will, at the least, have the resolve of a man and I think will have something to show combat wise as well. Also, Luffy is most like Roger and the Roger Pirates featured Buggy/Shanks as 9 year olds.

I like the idea of Momo as a crewmate, but I wouldn't bet on it. First issue is color. Momo would be Pink and Chopper already has that color on lockdown. Second is that while the idea of him matching Oden's feat and sailing with the crew sounds good on paper, it's a bit neater than Oda typically does. Yamato represents someone else who is seeking to quite literally take up Oden's will as well, so Momo becoming his own man with his own dreams outside of the things his father did makes a lot of sense to me.

Now for my Tama argument..

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    I thought Deicide was aiming for Lime Green because of Jinbro's kimonos, and someone else proposed Turquoise or Aqua because of his water related skills.

I don't feel like we need a Vivre Card or SBS to extra-confirm it, and the Color Psychology Theory( a Monquito© original), makes it just perfect to be brown.

I also do agree that Lime Green would balance things out with what we currently have in the crew.
    What about the color grey or white?

Vegapunk being an old man could be either of those

Luffy was a weak baby still when Shanks left. Momo will, at the least, have the resolve of a man and I think will have something to show combat wise as well. Also, Luffy is most like Roger and the Roger Pirates featured Buggy/Shanks as 9 year olds.

I like the idea of Momo as a crewmate, but I wouldn't bet on it. First issue is color. Momo would be Pink and Chopper already has that color on lockdown. Second is that while the idea of him matching Oden's feat and sailing with the crew sounds good on paper, it's a bit neater than Oda typically does. Yamato represents someone else who is seeking to quite literally take up Oden's will as well, so Momo becoming his own man with his own dreams outside of the things his father did makes a lot of sense to me.

Now for my Tama argument..
    The point is not that Luffy was a weak baby, it's just that the seas possessed a danger far beyond he realized and he wasn't strong enough at his age to overcome them. That was the point.

And Pekoms even before that...

"There will be an answer, let it be."

Quote Originally Posted by Zhenja View Post
    And Pekoms even before that...
    And Crocodile even before that

Quote Originally Posted by Syphin View Post
    Monquito's post in the previous thread:

The in-depth post can be found here.
    16 characters of thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    And Crocodile even before that
    Sorry, but his time has passed.

"There will be an answer, let it be."

Crocodile's actions in Alabasta 2 years ago were despicable but my goodness does his character design sing symphonies of badass and memorability even to chapter 991. In my opinion, Crocodile is one of Oda's best character designs. He didn't need any exposition or build-up (yet he got them), just merely looking at him incites a story within your mind. Crocodile is so psychotically delicious. In another manga, he could have been a main character.

The point is not that Luffy was a weak baby, it's just that the seas possessed a danger far beyond he realized and he wasn't strong enough at his age to overcome them. That was the point.
    I don't think you can possibly say that Momo is unaware of the sea's danger and I doubt that Momo will be unprepared for them when Wano is over. That could be because he'll join the crew (or fleet) or because he'll become Shogun. Either path will require him to become stronger, and fighting against Kaido and/or Orochi is the perfect place to become a "man."

I don't think you can possibly say that Momo is unaware of the sea's danger and I doubt that Momo will be unprepared for them when Wano is over. That could be because he'll join the crew (or fleet) or because he'll become Shogun. Either path will require him to become stronger, and fighting against Kaido and/or Orochi is the perfect place to become a "man."
    The lesson was that Luffy, as he was going up against Higuma, was too weak and that he was not in a position to defend himself and was at risk of drowning. He couldn't fight against a simple mountain bandit and never got a solid hit in, was kidnapped out into the middle of the sea, and almost drowned. That was the lesson he learned: he wasn't strong enough and he understood what Shanks kept saying that he was "just a kid."
    As much as Momonosuke had been venturing with the crew, he is still very much a liability and on the road to become Pirate King, Luffy needs every person to use their strengths not just for themselves, but others. All Momonosuke will do is endanger himself and put others at risk to protect him. That's how I view any child candidate, not exclusive to Momo.

The lesson was that Luffy, as he was going up against Higuma, was too weak and that he was not in a position to defend himself and was at risk of drowning. He couldn't fight against a simple mountain bandit and never got a solid hit in, was kidnapped out into the middle of the sea, and almost drowned. That was the lesson he learned: he wasn't strong enough and he understood what Shanks kept saying that he was "just a kid."
    As much as Momonosuke had been venturing with the crew, he is still very much a liability and on the road to become Pirate King, Luffy needs every person to use their strengths not just for themselves, but others. All Momonosuke will do is endanger himself and put others at risk to protect him. That's how I view any child candidate, not exclusive to Momo.
    You didn't address what I said at all, which is unfortunate, because I don't disagree with anything you said about Momo at this point in the story.

I think SeaOfHope did, very well in fact. But let's go ahead and break it down some more.

I don't think you can possibly say that Momo is unaware of the sea's danger
    Being aware of danger doesn't equal being adequately able to overcome it.

and I doubt that Momo will be unprepared for them when Wano is over.
    It took Luffy ten years of training to be ready for adventure on his own. Momo has weeks, at best.

That could be because he'll join the crew (or fleet) or because he'll become Shogun. Either path will require him to become stronger, and fighting against Kaido and/or Orochi is the perfect place to become a "man."
    Sanji already validated Momo's bravery. But Momo still has to be protected by Shinobu, Kin and the others: his safety is of utmost importance, and he's physically unable to go up against Kaido without putting himself and Wano's future in major peril. Momo, Tama, all these kids, they aren't ready, their moment hasn't come yet.

Carrot is realistically just a few years older than them, but she has proven that she can protect herself and others. Yamato has that capability, as well. That's one of the things I personally look for when thinking who could work and who couldn't.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?

I think SeaOfHope did, very well in fact. But let's go ahead and break it down some more.

Being aware of danger doesn't equal being adequately able to overcome it.

It took Luffy ten years of training to be ready for adventure on his own. Momo has weeks, at best.

Sanji already validated Momo's bravery. But Momo still has to be protected by Shinobu, Kin and the others: his safety is of utmost importance, and he's physically unable to go up against Kaido without putting himself and Wano's future in major peril. Momo, Tama, all these kids, they aren't ready, their moment hasn't come yet.

Carrot is realistically just a few years older than them, but she has proven that she can protect herself and others. Yamato has that capability, as well. That's one of the things I personally look for when thinking who could work and who couldn't.
    I like to look at a person’s fighting style and ask myself “How could Oda expand upon that and give them multiple move sets and special finishers”

Though with Oda’s mind it’s hard to tell what is limited and what’s not

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information