View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
217. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

91 41.94%
  • Shinobu

1 0.46%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc.)

1 0.46%
  • Momo

7 3.23%
  • Tama

7 3.23%
  • Carrot

47 21.66%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

5 2.30%
  • Caribou

2 0.92%
  • Other

19 8.76%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

37 17.05%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 102 of 104 FirstFirst ... 2 52 92 100 101 102 103 104 LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,040 of 2066

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    Never said that makes her Vivi tho, just both their tragedies are very much alike, and none it's similar to what the active members of the crew all got.

He did it flying and took advantage of everyone being busy, Stussy doesn't seem to be adding anything else.

It does proves my point, if the BM Pirates are all too busy and you fly, you're good to go.

And I mean The Strawhats, Bege, Pound, The Sun Pirates and likely the Germa, all escaped navigating a clearly slower and less safer method. And there's like no reason why CC would wait 24+ hours.
    The tragedy doesn't mark them for being the same or being built the same. That comparison would only work in a situation one of Momo's retainers were to sacrifice themselves, not Pedro.

Also, Morgans and Stussy escaped hours after Whole Cake chateau collapsed and only when the intent switched to capture Luffy and Sanji. They also did it when no one was keeping an eye on them, as Mont D'Or questions one panel where they went only for a subordinate to state they had left some time ago and by then it was 1 AM and Sanji was running away with Luffy.

In comparison, Whole Cake Island was surrounded by Amande's fleet, paired by Katakuri and Perospero on the Sunny, and Big Mom approaching. If Caesar wanted to leave undetected, he'd have to wait for the island's guard to go down to avoid being caught. Wouldn't surprise me if he snuck on a vessel, stowed away, and when they least expected it knocked them out as he took the ship and ran away when the focus switched to solely the Straw Hats.

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SeaOfHope View Post
    The tragedy doesn't mark them for being the same or being built the same. That comparison would only work in a situation one of Momo's retainers were to sacrifice themselves, not Pedro.
    No, Leave Momo out of it.

Its just the dynamics of Vivi and Carrot's tragedies, nothing else. Only their tragedies.
    No royalty, no nothing. Tra-ge-dy.

Also, Morgans and Stussy escaped hours after Whole Cake chateau collapsed and only when the intent switched to capture Luffy and Sanji. They also did it when no one was keeping an eye on them, as Mont D'Or questions one panel where they went only for a subordinate to state they had left some time ago and by then it was 1 AM and Sanji was running away with Luffy.
    And literally nothing stopped CC from doing this.

Especially when all of the strongest members of the BM Pirates, all sweet commanders, including Snack, Daifoku, Oven and Perospero, Big Mom herself, none where present at WCI during the chase, and CC reaches very high altitudes as he reached the top of Zunesha, what do the BM Pirates even have up there??
    But no, he waited until BM was back? The most dangerous moment to escape?, And using the less safer method he had? You're not even trying to be logical here.

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    No, Leave Momo out of it.

Its just the dynamics of Vivi and Carrot's tragedies, nothing else. Only their tragedies.
    No royalty, no nothing. Tra-ge-dy.

And literally nothing stopped CC from doing this.

Especially when all of the strongest members of the BM Pirates, all sweet commanders, including Snack, Daifoku, Oven and Perospero, Big Mom herself, none where present at WCI during the chase, and CC reaches very high altitudes as he reached the top of Zunesha, what do the BM Pirates even have up there??
    But no, he waited until BM was back? The most dangerous moment to escape?, You're not even trying to be logical here.
    Even in the context of the tragedy doesn't work. The tragedy doesn't make her similar to Vivi in that regard. It's only similar because they were both caught in an explosion. Nothing about the dynamics of the tragedy is similar.

The most illogical thing is actually claiming Pedro survived an explosion and no one being there actually reporting that a near dead individual was on their vessel somehow for several hours because of a panel of a Tarte ship escaping. Reality is, Whole Cake Island was on shutdown and if Caesar wanted to escape, he couldn't risk detection. If flying away was a no brainer, he would have done the same with literally Capone. Usopp has also sniped him down before. Flying doesn't make you impervious of enemy detection and incapacitation.

When thinking about the current crew, and how they all got there...

Some were literally called out in the story as a need before they joined:
    • Nami - Navigator - When Luffy and Zoro realized they would just float around aimlessly otherwise
    • Sanji - Cook - When Yosaku was malnourished... plus Luffy needs/loves to eat
    • Chopper - Doctor - When Nami was sick and everyone realized she was the only one who slightly knew anything about medicine/health (see note about Yosaku from above)
    • Franky - Carpenter/Shipwright - When the Merry was dilapidated and they realized their next ship would probably receive the same fate, since they are so hard on them apparently
    • Brook - Musician - Luffy was only asking for/prioritizing one over literally every other position since pretty much he set sail
    Others were not called out in this way, but may make sense in a traditional crew and parallel other crews, specifically the Red Haired Pirates:
    • Zoro - A pirate crew needs fighters (swordsman), main muscle/first mate akin to Benn Beckman?
    • Usopp - A pirate crew needs fighters (sniper), akin to Yasopp
    The others remaining seem to fulfill other, unique purposes:
    • Robin - Almost a parallel to Oden from Roger's crew. Luffy could not reach the One Piece if he did not have someone to help him read the Poneglyphs. Roger knew of this need when he recruited Oden, Luffy did not know until later
    • Jinbe - Maybe trickier. It helps that he can steer the ship well. Maybe more of a cultural implication in helping to tear down the divide between Fish Men and Humans. Certainly helps as a mentor/veteran perspective as well and credibility/muscle as a former Warlord
    The "final" member feels like they would have to fit in to the "unique purposes" bucket as nothing has been explicitly called out from a "needed position" standpoint in quite some time. I guess more muscle for the sake of more muscle could work too, but feels like there will something more to it.

Quote Originally Posted by The B-Mack View Post
    When thinking about the current crew, and how they all got there...

Some were literally called out in the story as a need before they joined:
    • Nami - Navigator - When Luffy and Zoro realized they would just float around aimlessly otherwise
    • Sanji - Cook - When Yosaku was malnourished... plus Luffy needs/loves to eat
    • Chopper - Doctor - When Nami was sick and everyone realized she was the only one who slightly knew anything about medicine/health (see note about Yosaku from above)
    • Franky - Carpenter/Shipwright - When the Merry was dilapidated and they realized their next ship would probably receive the same fate, since they are so hard on them apparently
    • Brook - Musician - Luffy was only asking for/prioritizing one over literally every other position since pretty much he set sail
    Others were not called out in this way, but may make sense in a traditional crew and parallel other crews, specifically the Red Haired Pirates:
    • Zoro - A pirate crew needs fighters (swordsman), main muscle/first mate akin to Benn Beckman?
    • Usopp - A pirate crew needs fighters (sniper), akin to Yasopp
    The others remaining seem to fulfill other, unique purposes:
    • Robin - Almost a parallel to Oden from Roger's crew. Luffy could not reach the One Piece if he did not have someone to help him read the Poneglyphs. Roger knew of this need when he recruited Oden, Luffy did not know until later
    • Jinbe - Maybe trickier. It helps that he can steer the ship well. Maybe more of a cultural implication in helping to tear down the divide between Fish Men and Humans. Certainly helps as a mentor/veteran perspective as well and credibility/muscle as a former Warlord
    The "final" member feels like they would have to fit in to the "unique purposes" bucket as nothing has been explicitly called out from a "needed position" standpoint in quite some time. I guess more muscle for the sake of more muscle could work too, but feels like there will something more to it.
    My theory is that Jinbe will notice how stressed Nami is by having to both keep the crew in line and do her own duties (navigation, cartography, logkeeping) and will suggest the crew needs a quartermaster/staff officer to keep everything running smoothly while Nami focus on her jobs. We get to see several of the crew trying and failing at the job (while Luffy and Zoro don’t care), until the next nakama shows a natural talent to it.

Staff officer is a position in One Piece showcased very early, in Buggy’s crew.
    Last edited by Deicide; September 16th, 2020 at 05:44 AM.
    No, I'm not back. I never left. It's just that it has been a long time since I had something to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    My theory is that Jinbe will notice how stressed Nami is by having to both keep the crew in line and do her own duties (navigation, cartography, logkeeping) and will suggest the crew needs a quartermaster/staff officer to keep everything running smoothly while Nami focus on her jobs. We get to see several of the crew trying and failing at the job (while Luffy and Zoro don’t care), until the next nakama shows a natural talent to it.

Staff officer is a position in One Piece showcased very early, in Buggy’s crew.
    I can't see someone new other than Nami telling the crew what to do, especially this far into the story. She's managed the crew as well as their finances fine. The only time it becomes a problem is because of Luffy and thats intentional.
    It would feel awkward some new character telling the crew how to operate around the ship they've been on far longer than they have.

I can't see someone new other than Nami telling the crew what to do, especially this far into the story. She's managed the crew as well as their finances fine. The only time it becomes a problem is because of Luffy and thats intentional.
    It would feel awkward some new character telling the crew how to operate around the ship they've been on far longer than they have.
    It would fit the personalities involved.
    No, I'm not back. I never left. It's just that it has been a long time since I had something to say.

I can't see someone new other than Nami telling the crew what to do, especially this far into the story. .
    If this person is a Nami clone than we will barely see the difference.....

The thing about crewmates is that they are extremely competent in their Areas of expertise. I see a staff officer/quartermaster leading by masterfully manipulating the others rather than just being bossy. Thus providing a lot of funny interactions.

Kinda like Robin got to charm everyone after joining, but in regards to organizing the crew when coordination is required.

Vivi was a guide. I've had this discussion before and most get stuck on the royalty part. They've gone with Shirahoshi and Rebecca. This is my 1st time hearing Momo. I stick by Law. Vivi knew a lot about the Grand Line and was working against BW n Croc. Law is familiar with the New World and was working to go against Doffy. The dynamic similarities is so obvious.

Spoiler:

I do think it could work if Carrot became an honorary Strawhat like Vivi.

One of the reasons why I think Carrot have good chances of joining is that she already feels like a proper nakama, and written as such, so I always felt like Oda would have to write Carrot's goodbye (in case she didn't join) in a meaningful manner and explain why the hell they were not going together (since Carrot is not bound by any responsability and she doesn't feel important to Zou).

Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation View Post
    I do think it could work if Carrot became an honorary Strawhat like Vivi.

One of the reasons why I think Carrot have good chances of joining is that she already feels like a proper nakama, and written as such, so I always felt like Oda would have to write Carrot's goodbye (in case she didn't join) in a meaningful manner and explain why the hell they were not going together (since Carrot is not bound by any responsability and she doesn't feel important to Zou).
    I do consider Carrot above a simple arc-bound companion. She’s a true friend.

I feel she may even be invited, but she will refuse for whatever reason. Maybe she does not feel ready. Maybe she wants to start her own mink crew (Dawn Pirates?). Maybe she stays in Wano to help Momo. I don’t know, I just think there will be a tearful goodbye.

I know the anime isn't canon but I can't let go of that one filler ep with Carrot asking Luffy to join the crew. I feel like that is her intention, even if not stated in the manga.

There would have to be a significant reason why she wouldn't want to join if given the chance. I don't know of duty to her people would be a good reason, considered she's shown zero growth there. Minks all came to Wano and she's still hanging around Nami, so somethings gotta change here if for whatever reason she goes back with the Minks or starts serving as a momo retainer or whatever. Strawhat ally I can see, but without a grand fleet representative I find it hard for her to be suddenly welcomed alongside as part of that alliance.

We will see, the story is still unfolding.

@Triceron

I don't think she was asking to join the crew in the filler moment. More so asking to join the Sanji mission, which doesn't change your point, but I interpreted it that way.

In the manga, she got excited when they were talking to Pekoms and the mission popped up. She was quickly educated on how serious this is. What I think the anime was trying to expand on was how most Minks were asking permission from their leaders and Carrot went to Luffy. The why to this is what I see as a running narrative. It's similar to Yamato looking to Luffy for an inch of affirmation and he points him to Momo duty. Oda makes Carrot take initiative and the anime adds to how different she is.

There's a lot lacking in Carrot's "side character" case that most of the allies like Aisa or Camie get. There's nothing confusing about Rebecca, Aisa, Johnny, Yosaku or Camie. The closest to side character confusion would be Pauli and it didn't last long at all. By the time Luffy got separated from Paulie, I lost all suspicion. There's opportunities to pair Momo and Carrot and her recent disappearance can address that once she is shown again.

Well, the anime made something very different. Her speech made it feel like Carrot really liked the crew and wanted to be with them... followed by a flashback or something about her always dreaming to go on an adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation View Post
    Well, the anime made something very different. Her speech made it feel like Carrot really liked the crew and wanted to be with them... followed by a flashback or something about her always dreaming to go on an adventure.
    When you take into consideration that she had to be told that it wasn't a game by Wanda, that shows what's on her mind. To take on that task, she took into account how prepared the crew is. She's listing all of their roles (which could've been told to her off screen or off panel, but wasn't implied outside of this moment lol) that exemplifies their talents that can add to the mission.

When she exposes herself and then put on the spot, what does she do? She goes into how useful she can be to the current situation. Everything is rooted in being useful, so she can stay for her adventure. So, yeah it might entail that it was really about being with the crew, but I took it as going for that mission, "even if it was just once" - Carrot.
    Spoiler:

I just don't see how she will follow the Kozuki Clan since she never really felt invested in being a retainer for Momonosuke. If she feels her duty by the arc's conclusion is to follow him, then so be it. One driving theme with her is that she definitely wants to be useful. I just really doubt that's the case since she is still following the Straw Hat Crew around.

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

The 'useful' word is kind of the key in here, she's not outright claiming a position like all of the strawhats, the sniper, the navigator, the cook, etc, there isn't a narrative straight telling us 'yea we gon recruit this position, we can't go any further without it'.

Nothing of that, is just 'I want to be useful', and she does whatever task to accomplish being useful, she's not being the lookout because we're going to recruit one, there's never been plans from the author of doing so, and neither Carrot, introduction boxes or anyone else have ever called Carrot a Lookout, only the fandom does, that is barely a cannonical word.

That's all, she's got Chimney's personality, but unlike Chimney, she was useful, that's everything there is to it.

When it comes to Carrot and the Dawn stuff, I see it like this...

Luffy wasn't looking for a fleet and that wasn't a narrative. There were allies that bonded and wanted to show Luffy that respect. Luffy said no, but the impression he left, inspired them even more to do what they want and be Luffy's sons

Pedro wasn't looking for the next Roger Pirates. He just wanted to be of service to his leaders and get the PGs. His people were saved by the crew and throughout WCI arc, he seen further proof that this crew was worthy of his sacrifice

None of this is straightforward. Characters naturally being of use is earned. Did Crocodile expect to save Ace and Luffy when he was freed? I don't think so.

I think Carrot's selfish want for adventure, desire to be useful and her growth is indirectly moving towards being a Straw Hat or Momo retainer. Why the retainer gig hasn't made sense to me is because the lack of interest in Momo and also being constantly separated from her initial group. As supported in panels in the past thread, Paulie was barely separated from his group, physically or just in a narrative. Put him next to Luffy and the Galley La are right there. Even to show anger over Iceberg, he isn't differentiated. Was he the first or best friend of Iceberg? Or even to create differentiation over CP9. Was he closer to Lucci than the rest? All of this was done for Franky from the start with his gang. He was then shown to be Iceberg's peer and that CP9 were after him.

Look at any Mink. They were mostly begging to come along. I also noticed that I don't see too many younger Musketeers and Guardians. Carrot didn't think to ask the leaders. It's more carefree and selfish as Neko and Inu worrying the the tribe with their trip off Zunisha. Carrot is mistakenly acting like a Straw Hat. It's just her selfishness mixed with her want to be useful that many Straw Hats exhibit. They all have their own goals and agenda, but also want to be of use. Look at their pledge to Luffy throughout the story or even the conflict. Usopp battles with the fate of Merry. It's not just because he sees a nakama in Merry, he sees himself having that same fate if he isn't of use anymore. Zoro makes the pledge when he loses to Mihawk. Sanji sees himself as a burden and tries to take it on himself in the middle of conflict with another pirate and it's a Yonko. Luffy, like in Baratie, reminds him in a very Luffy way who they are as a crew. Sanji honors Zeff by saving his crew and feeding Linlin because she needed it.

Wanting to be of use and having an unrivaled sense of selfishness is the Straw Hat way. If her maturity leads to Momo's retainers, then Oda lined up the alley oop well. If this is for being a Straw Hat, I do not believe the job is done with this arc.

It's interesting how you mention selfishness as a trait Straw Hats share. For a long time, one of the arguments against Jinbe was that he was too selfless, that he put his country and the safety of others first and didn't have dreams of his own. And then Oda threw a lampshade on that and had the Sun Pirates outright tell Jinbe he should be a bit selfish for once and go on the adventure with the SHs that he wants.

Carrot definitely has things she wants to do out in the wide world. She's also nothing if not loyal, and she can fight. I hope we soon see some payoff for all those traits.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information