View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
275. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

125 45.45%
  • Shinobu

1 0.36%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc.)

1 0.36%
  • Momo

8 2.91%
  • Tama

7 2.55%
  • Carrot

58 21.09%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 2.55%
  • Caribou

4 1.45%
  • Other

22 8.00%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

42 15.27%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 100 of 204 FirstFirst ... 50 90 98 99 100 101 102 110 150 200 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,000 of 4061

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Just a thought.

What if we witnessed Carrot's sad backstory in real time?

Eh, eh?

I offer that genuinely but I have no personal investment in her joining or not joining.
    Yep, like it was said above, Carrot advocated have argued for this relentlessly, and it would be a nice deviation from the usual "cut to flashback and tragic backstory", only if the execution was better and it did not feel like it was shoehorned in not for character exposition but cheap drama purposes, but ultimately, thatīs an argument regarding the execution and not the intent behind it (unless you argue the lackluster execution is a sign for the lack of nakama intent).

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Solid View Post
    i'm relieved, I think the big opposition for Tama joining is gone now.
    It seemed weird to have Tama joining just before the final conflict, assuming that there would only be 4-5 years of the series, but now when its clarified there will be 4-5 years of ADVENTURES left, she got plenty have time to settle in with the crew, Elbaf and Vegapunk adventures here she comes

None of the strawhat's given prefectures are located in the Tohoku region, Tama's speaks with Tohoku dialect, all going according to the plan.
    There was a big opposition? People simply do not care for it.

I still wonder if Jinbe will ever have a childhood flashback (fishman dojo when?) and if his scar will ever be explained in the manga.

Yamato and Drake are the final ones. Luffy wants a dinosaur in the crew

Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation View Post
    I always thought it was a very persuasive argument that Smoker's character conflict and development could lead him to become a Strawhat, although I was never fully convinced that that's Oda's intention.

Regardless, I do feel like Smoker is one of the most important characters in the series apart from the Strawhats and, in a way, even more important than some of the "lesser" Strawhats.

I try to think about ways to make Smoker relevant in the final war and it's very difficult to find a role at the level he deserves (in my opinion). The most common ideas (like joining a rebel faction of the Marines) shouldn't have enough protagonism and space in the plot to make him stand out enough. And reforming the Marines after the world revolution is more of an epilogue thing that goes offscreen.

That's why Smoker becoming a Strawhat was always alluring to me. The theory makes the pieces fit into puzzle... which doesn't mean it's true.
    Wait, that? All of the Strawhats are massively important to this thing. From a plot perspective, the only one one who I can imagine being deemed as less important is Zoro, since his unique skill (fighting) is accomplished by everyone else in the crew as well. This isn't the case though, because he is the sword of the Pirate King. They are all significant in changing the world and bringing the Dawn, either through their relation with Luffy, or their dream being vital to the One Piece world's eventual reconciliation with itself. Smoker's role is no different than Garp or Coby's. (and I think Aokiji and Sengoku as well)
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

What did Oda mean with this from the latest SBS? (translation from the reddit SBS thread)

D: The next person to join the Strawhat crew is actually me. (P.N.: Momo Daifuku)
    O: Wait, really!? Such confidence... well, you are 12 afterall...
    Does it imply that a Straw Hat has to be at least 12 years old for Oda to be ok with a kid joining? That would instantly rule out Tama and Momo. Or is it some kind of japanese pun with the name Momo Daifuku, a false translation, etc. that I am not getting?

Also in Volume 97 Carrot is ranked at the same level of importance as the Scabbards, Law, etc. without mentioning any other Minks besides the two Dukes. Even though she hasn't done anything important in that volume. Just why would Oda keep reminding the audience that she is a part of this raid and to keep her in their mind?

https://i.imgur.com/7qGt1Ii.png

Quote Originally Posted by TheGarc View Post
    What did Oda mean with this from the latest SBS? (translation from the reddit SBS thread)
    I read it as Oda understanding the bold confidence in proclaiming they are the next strawhat is due to them being 12yrs old

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    Wait, that? All of the Strawhats are massively important to this thing. From a plot perspective, the only one one who I can imagine being deemed as less important is Zoro, since his unique skill (fighting) is accomplished by everyone else in the crew as well. This isn't the case though, because he is the sword of the Pirate King. They are all significant in changing the world and bringing the Dawn, either through their relation with Luffy, or their dream being vital to the One Piece world's eventual reconciliation with itself. Smoker's role is no different than Garp or Coby's. (and I think Aokiji and Sengoku as well)
    Oda finds a role for everybody in the crew to help in Luffy's journey and then enjoy a personal payoff at the end when their dream is fulfilled... but that doesn't mean that their role is essential to the story at its core.

When we think of the story being told at its most raw aspects, naked, we only need Luffy and a handful of crewmates. Not exactly to guarantee that the ship arrives at the final destination, but for these characters to bounce off the protagonist and let the themes play out. For example, Nami is not only the navigator in a literal sense, but she also plays this role on an abstract level by being more reasonable than Luffy and making him listen to common sense by suggesting a more logical/mature direction (regardless of the topic), even if Luffy then chooses to follow his own impulsive urge.

That's what makes Nami such an important character instead of a mere device. It's really important to have someone who makes this kind of primary antithesis to the main character. Zoro is just as important as Nami, because he dialogues with Luffy's determination and makes him think of bushido ("the way of the warrior").

Not all Strawhats are as important as Nami and Zoro. Some are not even relevant, honestly.

Now let's look at Smoker. He is the most important token/avatar for the discussion about the greyness of who carries justice in the world, which is one of the most important and richest themes in One Piece. Smoker is introduced like a pseudo-Javert (from Les Miserables) with the motto "a pirate is a pirate" only to slowly accept that reality is different from his dogmas. Smoker learns that a pirate can be the vessel of true justice, the philosophy which will legitimize (from a public perspective) our protagonist as the bringer of the Dawn to the world.

That's why I say that Smoker serves a higher purpose than the "lesser" Strawhats for the sake of storytelling and conveying the messages of the series. We can think of other characters who could do it in his place, but what matters is that he is the one who most consistently plays this role, and he has been doing it since the prologue of One Piece, the East Blue saga.

Also in Volume 97 Carrot is ranked at the same level of importance as the Scabbards, Law, etc. without mentioning any other Minks besides the two Dukes. Even though she hasn't done anything important in that volume. Just why would Oda keep reminding the audience that she is a part of this raid and to keep her in their mind?
    Where else should she be? Not mentioned at all?

Just a thought.

Eh, eh?

I offer that genuinely but I have no personal investment in her joining or not joining.
    You really think Oda would just abandon his formula like that?

What do you think Carrot’s chances of joining are?

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    You really think Oda would just abandon his formula like that?
    I think you are mistaking the method for its purpose. A real-time sad backstory fulfills the same goals as the typical OP flashback, and there are even many other methods to achieve the same ulterior motive.

Does it imply that a Straw Hat has to be at least 12 years old for Oda to be ok with a kid joining? That would instantly rule out Tama and Momo. Or is it some kind of japanese pun with the name Momo Daifuku, a false translation, etc. that I am not getting?
    I'm pretty sure Oda just meant that 12 year olds are more likely to say something like that, not being as bound by logic as an adult would be.

https://i.imgur.com/7qGt1Ii.png
    That's the editors of the volume who handle that.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Just a thought.

Eh, eh?

I'm glad you get that! Pedro actually dying didn't happen lightly, after all.

The crew as a whole is my favorite part of the series, so I'm heavily invested in the idea of who's joining, though I get that it's not everyone's cup of tea. Thanks for popping in!

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

I think you are mistaking the method for its purpose. A real-time sad backstory fulfills the same goals as the typical OP flashback, and there are even many other methods to achieve the same ulterior motive.
    It just feels odd to me to do something the same way nine different times and then on the last and final one say fuck it and go for something completely different. Maybe that’s just my OCD

Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post

The crew as a whole is my favorite part of the series, so I'm heavily invested in the idea of who's joining, though I get that it's not everyone's cup of tea. Thanks for popping in!
    We're so similar yet so different... lmao.
    the new crew mate topic is the reason I became active again after more than a decade lurking around.

Oda finds a role for everybody in the crew to help in Luffy's journey and then enjoy a personal payoff at the end when their dream is fulfilled... but that doesn't mean that their role is essential to the story at its core.

When we think of the story being told at its most raw aspects, naked, we only need Luffy and a handful of crewmates. Not exactly to guarantee that the ship arrives at the final destination, but for these characters to bounce off the protagonist and let the themes play out. For example, Nami is not only the navigator in a literal sense, but she also plays this role on an abstract level by being more reasonable than Luffy and making him listen to common sense by suggesting a more logical/mature direction (regardless of the topic), even if Luffy then chooses to follow his own impulsive urge.

That's what makes Nami such an important character instead of a mere device. It's really important to have someone who makes this kind of primary antithesis to the main character. Zoro is just as important as Nami, because he dialogues with Luffy's determination and makes him think of bushido ("the way of the warrior").

Not all Strawhats are as important as Nami and Zoro. Some are not even relevant, honestly.

Now let's look at Smoker. He is the most important token/avatar for the discussion about the greyness of who carries justice in the world, which is one of the most important and richest themes in One Piece. Smoker is introduced like a pseudo-Javert (from Les Miserables) with the motto "a pirate is a pirate" only to slowly accept that reality is different from his dogmas. Smoker learns that a pirate can be the vessel of true justice, the philosophy which will legitimize (from a public perspective) our protagonist as the bringer of the Dawn to the world.

That's why I say that Smoker serves a higher purpose than the "lesser" Strawhats for the sake of storytelling and conveying the messages of the series. We can think of other characters who could do it in his place, but what matters is that he is the one who most consistently plays this role, and he has been doing it since the prologue of One Piece, the East Blue saga.

They are the tools by which the message is conveyed as much as Luffy is, specifically this crew. Everything that Piracy represents in its highest form is represented by the crew, good and bad and the will's that they have inherited are vital to understanding the state of the world/where they can take it. That's not even taking into account what they mean for Luffy particularly. Usopp is representative of us, regular old people fighting for and toward something greater. Jinbe is our cipher for racial reconcilliation and carries the will of Fisher Tiger. Chopper is the literal healer of the world's people, along with likely he who will let Luffy live longer than Roger did, and thus allow him to complete the mission Roger couldn't. Robin is the only person who can decipher the true history. Brook and Sanji are vital members of the crew in that a crew without music and good food misses the point of the adventure they're in. Luffy is willing to die without Sanji on the crew and I imagine he would do the same for Brook. Food and music are both reconciliatory tools and key to adventure and community. Zoro is Luffy's sword, not just his reminder of his warrior way. He's literally the Sword of the pirate King and the physical manifestation of Luffy's need for strong allies. Oh, and Franky built the vessel in which these dreams have sailed and is doing what Tom wasn't able to and sailing with his creation.

I'm fine with the thought that Smoker is vitally important to our understanding of justice and freedom's place in this world, but I think that he is essentially serving the same purpose that Garp already has served and that Koby is learning to.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.

It just feels odd to me to do something the same way nine different times and then on the last and final one say fuck it and go for something completely different. Maybe that’s just my OCD
    I don't feel like it is that much of a different thing as you say, honestly. Nothing radical or that breaks the mold, and yet it feels slightly refreshing and original, which should always be a concern for the author.
    Last edited by theackwardstation; September 15th, 2020 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    And Vivi's dream to protect her kingdom wouldn't give her similar motivation?

Vivi spent time with Garp and we have no idea what happened after the Reverie yet. Coby learned the basics in a couple weeks in-series (best estimates put grand line-Water 7 as about 45 days, and East Blue was only a few weeks) and went from a chubby kid to a lean fighter pulling off advanced CP9 moves. A determined princess could do the same as Coby. And *some* haki skills are just sort of ingrained and come naturally without much training.
    Sure it's motivation but it's the same motivation she already had. Coby's dream was always attached to being a physically capable Marine. His mindset is different. Vivi's dream can be attained by her focusing on her strengths, like being diplomatic. She avoids physical confrontation to avoid war.

I don't believe Vivi would display Haki development before Nami, Chopper, Robin, Franky, or Brook. She's Strawhat 5.5. The first princess the Strawhats saved. The next Strawhat after Jinbe has to be on a similar level. Jinbe is a tactician and elite combatant. An invaluable ally in the seas. Vivi would need a complete transformation to compare. I don't see Oda planning that route for her joining officially. Honorary member that may visit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon D. Luffy View Post
    You are arguing Brook was more developed because he had foreshadowing, but we only know all that now after we got to see Brook in a full arc. Again, when we first saw Brook he had zero depth.

You could argue Yamato got foreshadowing due to all the Oden references, or some other reference we can't see now but will later on after we get their full flashback.
    So Yamato's foreshadowing would be another man's life? A man who had no known direct interaction with Yamato. That's warped. But Yamato idolizes Oden because... was that ever established?

Strawhats went to fight Moria for Brook and the Rolling Pirates.

Strawhats are in Wano to fight for Momo and the retainers. Yamato just happens to be there. I might change my tune during Yamato's flashback, if Yamato gets one. Yamato was raised by Kaido. Sheesh! Childhood is bound to have some twists like Big Mom's children.

Well if Greg does think Carrot is going to join the crew that’s a big plus for her side, he’s pretty good at predicting things when it comes to One Piece

I don't feel like it is that much of a different thing as you say, honestly. Nothing radical or that breaks the mold, and yet it feels slightly refreshing and original, which should always be a concern for the author.
    True. There's infinite ways of fiilling a pattern. A character could have a present development as meaningful and emotional as in a flashback.

The thing with Carrot, IMO, is that Pedro's death lacked the depth we usually see in flashbacks. I don't feel that the Pedro/Carrot relationship was as emotionally developed in preparation to the big tragedy.
    No, I'm not back. I never left. It's just that it has been a long time since I had something to say.

Well if Greg does think Carrot is going to join the crew that’s a big plus for her side, he’s pretty good at predicting things when it comes to One Piece
    I don't think Greg was saying that he thinks Carrot will join. He was offering a rebuke to a specific argument against her joining, her lack of a sad backstory. It was more for the argument/conversation's sake, thus him saying: I offer that genuinely but I have no personal investment in her joining or not joining.

Pretty sure he doesn't think that at all. Lol He's pointing out something that many of us have since WCI. We know that the last crew mate won't be treated the same as the previous crewmembers. The story is about to go into overdrive and a whole arc dedicated to a new character as a primary focus isn't really possible any more.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information