+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Serial Experiments Lain

Default Serial Experiments Lain

I recently finished watching this a few weeks ago. (I binge watched it.) I really enjoyed it, plus it gave me a bit of a Neon Genesis Evangelion feel too. Though the story is pretty non-linear and the ending is up to interpretation. What is everyone's thoughts and theories about this series and its story?

Spoiler:
    For me, personally, I feel like Lain basically became the "Jesus", while the "father" is God. Though I can see how she can be considered God too. Though the ending was a bit sad since she deleted everyone's memory of her to save the planet.

Though one scene that scared me was the alien scene. I was not expecting that.

Signature:
    Artist - ほし; Character - Red Riding Hood; Original Artwork
    Avatar: Artist - 雄塩; Character - Ayano Sugiura; Series - Yuru Yuri
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/goddessarisu/; Discord: Starla Lily-Moon#2548
    ~Formerly known as Stranger~

Default Re: Serial Experiments Lain

I've seen Lain twice and still don't understand any of it. Or remember any of it for that matter. None of those things you mention sound familiar.

The only really strong take I have on it is this video.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    I've seen Lain twice and still don't understand any of it. Or remember any of it for that matter. None of those things you mention sound familiar.
    Spoiler:
    Yeah, I really paid attention to it. Though I also read a bit of the plot synopsis of it. It's mostly the final episode that I'm referencing to in where she deleted herself.

Spoiler:
    As for the "alien scene" I mentioned in my other post:

The only really strong take I have on it is this video.
    Lol, that was an interesting video. Especially since one of the themes of Lain is the internet and communication.

I do plan on watching the series again at one point to see anything I missed from the story.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Spoiler:
    As for the other scene I mentioned in how I feel like lain became "Jesus" and talked with her father who I think is "God" is this one:

Signature:
    Artist - ほし; Character - Red Riding Hood; Original Artwork
    Avatar: Artist - 雄塩; Character - Ayano Sugiura; Series - Yuru Yuri
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/goddessarisu/; Discord: Starla Lily-Moon#2548
    ~Formerly known as Stranger~

Discovered Stowaway El-Matematico's Avatar

I watched like 5 episodes and dropped it. My feelings towards it was that keeping track of what's happening was meaningless because many scenes didn't convey anything or have an impact the overarching narrative.

It also bothered me that some of Lain's friends reacted badly to her "changing", since she was a walking vegetable in the beginning of the series. Too many times someone talked to her and her response was a confused look and silence. Changing in Lain's case meant starting to speak and developing a personality.

And there was an episode that had a heavy "video games makes kids murdereres" vibe.
    Wash your hands.

SEL was my favorite anime for the longest time (until I watched MoNoNoKe), but is not the kind of anime that everybody will enjoy: most of the time there is this oppressive silence, oppressive lack of motion, it is the kind of anime that tries to cause an effect on you by forcing you to go through its emptiness more than through its metaphysical ramblings and that's the kind of thing that can get annoying if you are not in the mood to watch paint dry. I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it myself if I wasn't in the perfectly right mood for it when I stumbled on it, so it was really a matter of the right anime at the right time.
    To this day, the soundtrack alone is able to send me back to the same place I was back in 2002 when I first watched it, so to this day it is still in a very special place for me.

A few months ago I decided to watch it again after nearly a decade and I was sure I was going to hate it for its edginess, but somehow I think I managed to enjoy it even more than on the times I watched it as a teenager/early 20's. The scene with the father on the last episode... I started crying when the first chords started playing and went like that until it was over.

Also this track is one of my favorites in any anime OST ever:
    Last edited by .access timeco.; June 30th, 2020 at 03:55 PM.

It was something I had always known about when I was younger and I think I might have watched a couple of episodes in the early or mid 00s but it was only in the last few years I watched it all the way through. It has a nice aesthetic but it is a bit hard to follow if it even has deeper meaning to a lot of the stuff it throws at the watcher. There being multiple Lains is one of the better parts imo, and seeing how they act. Ultimately I didn't find it as great as its reputation suggests (I much preferred Haibane Renmei, which has the same character designer) but it's still pretty good.

It was really ahead of it's time in the sense that the internet was not like today when this was made yet predicted tons of things that are happening today on social media.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information