+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 983 - Thunder

Default Re: Chapter 983 - Thunder

Btw, now Yamato is not an option, who could reasonably be the person creeping behind Robin and Jinbe? I can only imagine Caribou or Tama. More likely Tama because it wouldn't make sense to make a mystery out of Caribou since his presence should be expected.

And now I need Weevil to go to Wano so he, Perospero and Yamato can have an Emperor's firstborn meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by RomanceDawn View Post
    Still nothing has topped Vergo's attack on Tashigi. At least as far as post time skip-present time goes. That was brutal and what Ulti dealt with looked like kids stuff in comparison.
    Ehhh.... I feel like you're giving Tashigi's moment too much drama.
    It's just a single haki backhand, then Sanji shows up.

Hidden:

She took worse from Monet.

---------------------------------[Youtube]-[Patreon]-[Twitter]---------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    Btw, now Yamato is not an option, who could reasonably be the person creeping behind Robin and Jinbe? I can only imagine Caribou or Tama. More likely Tama because it wouldn't make sense to make a mystery out of Caribou since his presence should be expected.

And now I need Weevil to go to Wano so he, Perospero and Yamato can have an Emperor's firstborn meeting.
    I do think it's Tama (but please no kibidangos, Oda), but I don't understand your reasoning for why it's not Caribou. Is his presence expected? Well, even he is, it's not explicit, so a good way to introduce him is to show him first as a shadowy figure doing shady stuff before teaming up with Jimbe and Robin.

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

I think it could be Tenguyama Hitetsu.

Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation View Post
    I do think it's Tama (but please no kibidangos, Oda), but I don't understand your reasoning for why it's not Caribou. Is his presence expected? Well, even he is, it's not explicit, so a good way to introduce him is to show him first as a shadowy figure doing shady stuff before teaming up with Jimbe and Robin.
    The thing is, he was already following them back in Udon and promised to be loyal and Luffy promised to take him with him later (or something like that, I didn't check back). He being with the Alliance now wouldn't be a surprise, so there's no need for him to hide and then start following them from the shadows.

Tama, on the other hand, would make sense since she probably wasn't allowed to go on the raid.

I still think it's Caribou myself.

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

Maybe Coribou and the crew?

The thing is, he was already following them back in Udon and promised to be loyal and Luffy promised to take him with him later (or something like that, I didn't check back). He being with the Alliance now wouldn't be a surprise, so there's no need for him to hide and then start following them from the shadows.
    Even if this dialogue happened, we actually never saw Caribou again. Oda could easily have drawn him in the background among the invasors if his presence was explicit, but he didn't, so right now Caribou is missing. He may not even show up in the raid. And if his whereabouts is unknown, it's fine to draw him as a shadowy figure doing shady stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by MDL View Post
    Ehhh.... I feel like you're giving Tashigi's moment too much drama.
    It's just a single haki backhand, then Sanji shows up.

She took worse from Monet.
    For me it’s the hair pull with the back hand combined with the fact that she isn’t some sort of monster. The depiction of Tashigi is just more realistic to me. Though admittedly you’re right, all I remembered was this very scene I was sure she got beat up more.
    Folks who read One Piece... Just better people. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desire's Bland Moon puffing.cinema's Avatar

It could be a defeated Hawkins coming to Onigashima as well (and Oda tagged him along the Mature Duo)

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

What if Drake sent Yamato to get Luffy.

This was a fun little action chapter, wasn't it?

Pound's reunion with his daughters and their husbands feels like a good way to cap off the adventure portion of this cover story. Next few should start wrapping it up, hopefully with a last minute main plot sting, just like always. I think it could be Pound bringing some insider info about what happened in Tottoland after our main POV moved away from it that could change how we're seeing the current battle, or what kind of fallout we're anticipating.

Perospero's quick return is welcome. It would have been a shame for the Big Mom pirates to come all this way and not feature at all in the main event. I wish he'd managed to get more of the crew up the falls with him, but it's a start.

The Brachiotank switching to walk mode is an odd development. Will it have some baring in how it's used for the coming battles, or is this just for the funny visual? I loved Prometheus being a little shit and Big Mom using her powers to make yokai though. Sanji disappearing to look for women is a disappointingly overplayed gag, but here's hoping Oda's just using it to set up a much-needed Mr Prince moment.

Orochi's acting like he's back on top of the world. It's fine. At some point he'll realise the forces sent to capture Luffy, Law and Kid aren't coming back and return to fear mode.

I'm not the first to point this out, but I do think it's interesting that we've got a bunch of insect Gifters working together against Zoro. We've already seen Who's who's cat squad, and previous chapters have shown bee themed and ghostly looking Gifters working together in groups of two or three. Do the leaders within the Beast Pirates all have themed squads? Whose minions is Zoro up against? And it only be the Tobi Roppo who do this anyway, since there was no real cohesion among Queen's subordinates at the prison. Interesting too that them seem so enthusiastic about following Kaido and recruiting for his forces. That wasn't the impression I got of their vibe previously.

Luffy VS Ulti and Page One was a really snappy bit of action that flowed well. Luffy grabbing Ulti's horns mid-flip and slamming her down was a sick move. One of those beats you hope the anime lets have the speed and power it deserves, rather than breaking it up with a big reaction shot as he grabs her, or turns it into some kind of pulling contest before he can slam her. The elephant gun into poor Pay Pay was a nice panel, but where does Pay Pay go after it? If that was it for him, it would have been nice to have just a small panel of him falling, or have him unconscious in the background of another panel. Oh well, I guess if he was still up, he'd have made some objection to what Yamato was doing.

That said, these are just small skirmishes. I don't expect either Ulti or Page One to be totally out of the coming battle, even if this means they won't be coming in at 100%.

Side story: as a young kid, I loved dinosaurs. Like, I love them. Read every book I could get my hands on, even if they were above my level. In my first years at school, when you'd have a letter of the week and the week would start with the class yelling out a bunch of things starting with that letter to go on the blackboard, I'd frustrate my teachers every week by calling out dinosaur names that neither of us had a chance in hell of spelling properly. Seeing users and elsewhere struggle with pachycephalosaurus gives me a pleasant nostalgic tingle. Hard to imagine Oda not also being a precocious kid with more memorised dinosaur names than common sense.

Yamato makes a shock appearance and seems to be on Luffy's side. I don't think there's much I can say about his obvious Oden cosplay that hasn't been said. Why this? How does it affect his relationship with his father? There's a lot of questions and very little evidence to sift through for answers. With nothing more to go on, I like the theory that he found the logbook featured so prominently through the Oden flashback, but I wouldn't want to commit to believing anything is the correct answer this soon. But I don't expect to wait too long for the truth. Next chapter or the one after should warp up volume 97, and any bombshells Yamato has to drop would make a great end-of-book cliffhanger.

I was really hoping that Ulti would be in awe of Luffy one day... since most female characters (boa hancock, vivi, shirahoshi) fell for luffy. For Sanji, I hope he isn't looking for prostitutes when his nakamas are up against 2 yonkos.

Perospero got up alone but I wonder where the hack the rest of BM's pirate crews are.

Great chapter nevertheless... Wano is gonna he in chaos soon.

P.S. I'm thinking that the shadow who talked to marco in the previous chapter was a member of the Gol. D Roger crew.
    "Only a life lived for others is a life worth living."
    My favorite One Piece Quotes (inspiring & memorable)
    Greetings from Singapore and Hello to all Nakamas from over the world!
    (updated 22 June 2020) Project I am working on currently: Humble and Rich Boutique & Quit With Nerd

I have a baseless hope Smoothie, Snack, Daifuku and Amande (... and Compote, I guess) are inside the candy slug. Why they would be there instead of on top along with Perospero? Well... I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by puffing.cinema View Post
    It could be a defeated Hawkins coming to Onigashima as well (and Oda tagged him along the Mature Duo)
    This could be good. Hawkins' upcoming betrayal is all but confirmed, we know he is only with Kaido because he saw no chance of victory or survival.

Also, I hope we can expand a bit more on Hawkins decision. Right now he is seen basically as a coward who, unlike Kid, could not stand the presence of an unbeatable enemy without bowing. It would be easy to show he was actually worried about his crew (not even mentioned so far) having no chance of surviving the meeting with Kaido and preferred to sacrifice his pride to save them.
    Last edited by .access timeco.; June 22nd, 2020 at 05:02 AM.

I'm pretty sure the comment about the Franky Tank transforming after Big Mom did something... means that it's a homie now.

---------------------------------[Youtube]-[Patreon]-[Twitter]---------------------------------

Discovered Stowaway ArseneWenger's Avatar

I am confused about Wano's geography. The Mogura port was shown to be in opposite end of the Koi Waterfall, which is near Kuri, also confirmed by Wano are map (Kuri and Mogura/Onigashima in diagonally opposite location).
    So how did Perorin just climbed the waterfall and saw Onigashima from so close that he could hear the party sounds?
    Whichever side wins becomes the Justice.

So momonosuke and yamato will be the new orochi and kaidou. Friends, one shogun and the other oni that protects wano.

And please oda don't group sanji with Heat and whatever 3rds guys in groups are there.

Quote Originally Posted by MDL View Post
    I'm pretty sure the comment about the Franky Tank transforming after Big Mom did something... means that it's a homie now.
    The tank is designed to be manned by Chopper and/or Usopp, so I think it's not far fetched that Franky added an emergency run-away mode to it.

If it would be a homie Big Mom would have some control over it, so I don't know why it would run from her.

The tank is the bottom half of General Franky. The transformation was just it getting ready to dock with Rhino Black to form GF:

But it would be interesting if the thing that prompted the transformation routine was it becoming a homie BM set as a spy.

Yeah, I was implying that some soul was put in there as a spy or a chekov's gun.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information