+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 47 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43 44 45 ... LastLast

Thread: American Politics: We're in for it now

Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    No the fact that these people use this money to lobby politicians for selfish purposes that generally inconvenience other people is what’s shitty.
    It's really both.

People naturally become more selfish and unempathetic as their wealth increases, so lobbying to bend the system in their favor is a natural consequence of people being allowed to hoard massive amounts of money.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorPhil View Post
    I fail to see how trying to avoid stuttering makes you say how you love kids jumping on your lap and touching your leg hairs that curl in the sun. Or getting into pretty heated arguments with voters, almost calling one fatso for asking legitimate questions or telling them not to vote for him.
    Or saying, "Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."
    How much can you do? Just grab a ball and juggle.
    All those balls in the air, How hard can it be?
    So hard you're getting dizzy!
    Keep those balls in the air, Keep those balls in the ai-air!
    Balls in the air!

The ridiculous and gross inequality that is made evident by the existence of a trillionare is not bad to you? Even besides lobbying, one person hoarding so much resources and having so much power has an abhorrent effect on society. Let's reinstall monarchy while we're at it.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by mr.french View Post
    Or saying, "Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."
    I can chalk that up to simple missspeaking. that stuff happens to me all the time.

Never said it wasn’t but these people are allowed to do what they want with their money because of a system that encourages this behavior. When you elect millionaires and sometimes billionaires to government it should come as no surprise when afterwards these people start pushing for or trying to create rules that benefit themselves and others like them. All the while everyone else is made to suffer in poverty, struggle to get affordable healthcare for themselves or their family, or worry about not being able to eat or collect government benefits cause those programs got slashed or tweaked to either pay less or not pay at out at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Plus he's out golfing today. The sheer cost of having the Secret Service operations required for him to go golfing the amount he does completely negates any donations of his salary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

Quote Originally Posted by starlalilymoon View Post
    Well, isn't that a good thing that Trump is donating to the HHS? I know he fails in other departments, but it's nice to appreciate some form of good stuff that he does, I guess.
    It's an absolutely hollow gesture since the amount of money he's been getting from the government renting office space and rooms at his properties dwarfs the amount he's donated.

Not to mention the sheer amount of damage he's done to attempts to fight the current pandemic through inaction, sidelining competent officials in favor of cronies, and hawking of ineffective drugs.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

It's an absolutely hollow gesture since the amount of money he's been getting from the government renting office space and rooms at his properties dwarfs the amount he's donated.

Not to mention the sheer amount of damage he's done to attempts to fight the current pandemic through inaction, sidelining competent officials in favor of cronies, and hawking of ineffective drugs.
    Not just ineffective, but actively dangerous to people with the condition it's supposed to be fighting.

Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

A good shared post going around my FB about why, much as it annoys or angers us, we need to concentrate on voting for Biden.

Hidden:
    Looking at Biden putting his foot in his mouth AGAIN and I know I'm not qualified to tell people of color how black they might or might not be.
    Hidden:

But, I *can* tell you a hell of a lot of white people who believe their skin somehow makes them superior are going to vote for Trump.

It's not my job or inclination to make excuses for Joe Biden.

Biden wasn't my first choice, or my second, or even my third and I don't like it any more than you do. But here we are nonetheless and it's Trump or Biden.

Those are the choices.

Biden is his own worst enemy on the best of days and if he loses it'll be his own damn fault.

But there's a reason why racists and bigots and wannabe fascists support Trump and it's NOT because Joe Biden made a tone-deaf hamfisted joke.

I can't speak for people of color, but a lot of white people support Trump because he's the future they want.

They voted for Trump because he said what they believe but were too afraid to say out loud. Four years of Trump and they not afraid to say it out loud any more.

The Republican Senate has only made Trump bolder, reelection will remove any remaining restraint, even Susan Collins can see that now.

So here here we are, Trump or Biden.

Those are the choices. And if you think there are any others, you're a goddamn fool.

The difference? Republicans repeatedly demonstrate they will NOT hold Trump accountable for his words or his behavior no matter how vile.

WE have to do better. We must hold Biden to account and demand better from him. Biden is the kind of man who WILL do better. Trump won't.

And come this November we either end up with the America TRUMP wants or we don't.

That's where we're at, black and white, like it or not.

You want a better nation, be better citizens.

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

But the thing is, as deplorable as Trump is, the people who vote for him actually *want* to vote for him. It's like with Hilary last year. Your sole good quality being "Well, at least they aren't Trump" is not much of a platform to unite voters across the country.

Discovered Stowaway Dorobō Neko's Avatar

I mean more people voted for Hillary anyway. The country voted for her by a lot, she just didn't win. And there are going to be more people voting for Biden so either it is enough for voters (and it should be) or people do want Biden.

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

I sure hope you're right, bud.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B. Decent View Post
    But the thing is, as deplorable as Trump is, the people who vote for him actually *want* to vote for him. It's like with Hilary last year. Your sole good quality being "Well, at least they aren't Trump" is not much of a platform to unite voters across the country.
    You fight the war with the army you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    You fight the war with the army you have.

Quote Originally Posted by The D. View Post
    The fact that a human can hoard enough wealth to be a billionaire, let alone trillionaire is just disgusting beyond belief.
    I donít think being a billionaire is necessarily a bad thing, itís how you get it that can be bad, like how the Amazon guy pays his workers next nothing to become the most insanely richest man in the world, but I donít think someone like JK Rowling whoís wealth doesnít come from exploiting others but instead from creativity and artistic expression is bad, and I know thatís just one example I can think of but if thereís one Iím sure thereís plenty of others

Speaking of Biden versus Trump, I'm just having a hard time in wanting to vote for Biden because of recent events like the sex scandal with him and him feeling not right for me. (As well as him feeling creepy.) Though from my research, I will get most of the stuff I want... but then some stuff like universal healthcare he is against which leaves a stain in my mouth. Honestly, I want really good reasons to vote for Biden besides the thing of being not Trump. How much does his policies align with Sanders? (Bernie Sanders is the one I was hoping to win in the primaries.)

So, yeah it be a sucky election year for me anyway since I don't like anyone and have to vote for someone that does not really give me what I want to fix the United States as a whole. I also hope there will be new policies to help people who were unemployed because of the Coronavirus, etc. So, yeah, there's a lot to consider, and I need help with making said decision to be honest, as I want to make the right choice for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    It IS a good thing yes, but its also just a publicity stunt.
    Oh...

Like when Jeff Bezos donates 5 million to some charitable cause or another. Wow, what an inconveivable ammount of money to give away, how generous he must be, I can't even fathom that kind of money!!

Except he makes that much in literally an hour. It is nothing to him. Even while sleeping or using the bathroom he makes 83K *per minute*, which I bet is more than most of us will make in a year, or two years. And yet he still refuses to pay his workers a living wage, puts them through horrible standards or work, won't take care of them and insists they do a food drive an accept donations to get through corona. World's first trillionaire and he doesn't take care of his people. Amazon has 800,000 employees. He makes 5,000,000 an hour. He could give up 25% of what he makes an hour and instantly give every one of those employees a 2$ raise, and he'd still be making 3.5 million an hour... and then back up to 4 or 5 million at night when people aren't working.. Even when he sleeps. It's gross.

Jeff Bezos could give up 99% of his salary to make his employees lives better, give everyone 8 dollar raises, (or 4 dollar raises plus benefits) and at 50K an hour he'd STILL be making 1.2 million dollars a day. 438,000,000 a year. (And that's just Bezos. Other higher ups also get stupid pay days.)
    Yeah, that is actually a really good example. From what you saying, basically Jeff Bezos is being an hypocrite by donating to places, but then not taking care of his own workers who are suffering, is that correct?

And yeah... I wonder if the government can intervene in such cases to punish corporations for not taking care of their own people. What do European countries do in cases like these? (To me, they have a way better system than America does.)

[QUOTE[Trump is similar except most of his money is through backchannels and bribes and can't be reported due to crime, and he's nowhere even close to that rich... which is why he's trying to make Amazon pay 10x as much in shipping and he's trying to kill the post office.[/QUOTE]
    That makes sense... Also, why is he trying to kill the post office and how?

The good act is good. But when its just there to hide the actual greed and money laundering at play? "Oh, I can't be stealing, I'm a nice charitable person". (Nevermind those times Trumps charities actually did literally steal from children....)
    Wait, what? Can you explain more indepth about his charities stealing from children?

Quote Originally Posted by The D. View Post
    The fact that a human can hoard enough wealth to be a billionaire, let alone trillionaire is just disgusting beyond belief.
    People are allowed to save money if they wish to be; there is nothing wrong with that. But what's not right is if they are a CEO of a company and treat their own workers like shit.

Oh, I see.

Signature:
    Artist - ほし; Character - Red Riding Hood; Original Artwork
    Avatar: Artist - u_U; Character - Kyoka; Series - Princess Connect! Re_Dive
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/goddessarisu/ (Add me if you wish!)
    ~Formerly known as Stranger~

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

Speaking of Biden versus Trump, I'm just having a hard time in wanting to vote for Biden because of recent events like the sex scandal with him and him feeling not right for me. (As well as him feeling creepy.) Though from my research, I will get most of the stuff I want... but then some stuff like universal healthcare he is against which leaves a stain in my mouth. Honestly, I want really good reasons to vote for Biden besides the thing of being not Trump. How much does his policies align with Sanders? (Bernie Sanders is the one I was hoping to win in the primaries.)

So, yeah it be a sucky election year for me anyway since I don't like anyone and have to vote for someone that does not really give me what I want to fix the United States as a whole. I also hope there will be new policies to help people who were unemployed because of the Coronavirus, etc. So, yeah, there's a lot to consider, and I need help with making said decision to be honest, as I want to make the right choice for me.
    Unfortunately, at this point it's a binary choice. Trump or Biden. I would have preferred Elizabeth Warren personally, but that didn't pan out.

For what it's worth, the sex scandal isn't all it's cracked up to be, since the accuser has proven to be all kinds of sketchy (up to and including perjuring herself regarding her professional credentials in court). She's changed her story, nobody who knew her at the time of the accusation has corroborated her story, and those that did changed their stories when she did. At worst, Biden's actions here re: Tara Reade seem to be in line with the Creepy Uncle Joe we know already. Unfortunate, but not near as horrible as Reade is claming.

Of course, speaking purely for myself, even if he were completely guilty as sin of everything he was accused of, he would still be the objectively lesser evil compared to Trump. Even if you were to argue choosing the Lesser of Two Evils is still choosing Evil, the fact is the Devil We Know is an incompetent jackass.

Biden might not get you everything you hope to see, but he will undeniably do a hell of a lot more than Trump would even consider doing. To borrow a phrase seen on the other board I follow politics on, don't let the Perfect be the enemy of the Good. This isn't a case of "both sides are the same" because this is demonstrably untrue even without Biden pushing the most left policy the Democrats have had (as mentioned in earlier posts)

Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

No one is questioning why Bernie Sander with more popularity, twice bends the knee, and drops out as suspicious. And why was Tulsi Gabbard the black sheep of the Democratic Party and ultimately sidelined, attacked by even Hillary and defamed as a Russian agent. She was honestly a breath of fresh air.
    How much can you do? Just grab a ball and juggle.
    All those balls in the air, How hard can it be?
    So hard you're getting dizzy!
    Keep those balls in the air, Keep those balls in the ai-air!
    Balls in the air!

Also Biden is for universal healthcare, he wants to expand the ACA into something more like Germany's system. He was just never for Bernie's M4A which has never been tested anywhere and would cost way to much to try and do. So Biden is for the viable path towards universal healthcare.

One thing I am hope he adds to his plan is an all-payer set up. That really helps in my home state and it's what made universal healthcare affordable in countries like Germany and Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by sgamer82 View Post
    Biden might not get you everything you hope to see, but he will undeniably do a hell of a lot more than Trump would even consider doing. To borrow a phrase seen on the other board I follow politics on, don't let the Perfect be the enemy of the Good. This isn't a case of "both sides are the same" because this is demonstrably untrue even without Biden pushing the most left policy the Democrats have had (as mentioned in earlier posts)
    Basically the phrase "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good", is saying that no one is perfect and I should look at all aspects and compare how much good there is compared to bad, is that correct?

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Dorobō Neko View Post
    Also Biden is for universal healthcare, he wants to expand the ACA into something more like Germany's system. He was just never for Bernie's M4A which has never been tested anywhere and would cost way to much to try and do. So Biden is for the viable path towards universal healthcare.
    Wait, what? I see, I basically got misled by the media then. Well, this gives me plus points to vote for me at least. How does the Germany healthcare system work?

One thing I am hope he adds to his plan is an all-payer set up. That really helps in my home state and it's what made universal healthcare affordable in countries like Germany and Japan.
    What is all-payer set-up?

Signature:
    Artist - ほし; Character - Red Riding Hood; Original Artwork
    Avatar: Artist - u_U; Character - Kyoka; Series - Princess Connect! Re_Dive
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/goddessarisu/ (Add me if you wish!)
    ~Formerly known as Stranger~

Wait, what? I see, I basically got misled by the media then. Well, this gives me plus points to vote for me at least. How does the Germany healthcare system work?

What is all-payer set-up?
    Yeah the media was never really too clear about it but once you read his platform you get why his plan just makes more sense and why he tended to come out on top of the healthcare topic in debates.

As for how it works:

First of all, everyone in Germany has to be insured (a few exceptions apply). There are two kinds of health insurance, statutory health insurance (Staatliche Krankenkassen) and private health insurance (Private Krankenkassen), with a roughly 80-20 split. There are 117 statutory health insurances in Germany. Some of them operate on a regional level, others are limited to certain companies or professions, while others operate on a national scale. No matter what, every insurance company is mandated by law to provide a set range of services. Contribution payments are not dependent on health or age but are a set percentage of ones income, 50% of which are payed by the employer. Private insurances on the other hand base their payments on other factors, but they can also offer additional services like single bed rooms in hospitals. No matter what, you are free to chose your doctor. Almost all doctor visits are free and prescriptions cost between 5-10Ä (only up to a maximum annually amount, after which they don't require any copayments).

This is pretty much what the ACA was set out to become.

And this is what the all-payer rate setting is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-payer_rate_setting

The all-payer is an essential component of a public option, as it is one of the main driving forces in keeping costs low.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information