+ Reply to Thread
Page 192 of 196 FirstFirst ... 92 142 182 190 191 192 193 194 ... LastLast
Results 3,821 to 3,840 of 3915

Thread: American Politics: We're in for it now

Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

Quote Originally Posted by Luca View Post
    I translated the first 20 minutes roughly of the interview, was good to translate and not do numbers for once, I apologize but it seems I got all that Giulietto said quite wrong, I outlined below first the question and then the answer, if someone is bothered to read it a bit, especially if he's American Would be good to know how close this is to the truth? What do you think?

Spoiler:

M: I would start off if that’s ok with a question about the American deep state, the relationship between deep state and the “state”, Is that a theme that interest you? did you research in depth? And about Trump and the current situation with Trump, what are your views?

G: Not only is the question about the deep state extremely important but its fundamental to understand what’s going on and what will happen, because it’s a question that reveals how America is no longer America, us till now we are used to the terminology of Russia, America, China. About Russia and China the matter is to be talked separately, but one thing is evident, it’s that America is in the middle of a full on internal political clash that essentially divided the country. It’s a divided country. There are some very deep splits inside the elite that guided the country for more than 200 years, the country’s split, and this split is strategical, it’s not a joke and it’s not a problem that pertains this or that person, it concerns a rupture of the mechanism that kept held in place the American institution since its foundation up until now. So to understand this matter its fundamental, otherwise every time we will think that when the Americans say “America”, that’s not true anymore, because every decision, and I will talk about it more in depth answering the second question, every movement of Donald Trump it’s not explained in any other way that in the political clash that he’s facing every minute against his opposition.

So who are his opponents, it’s difficult to explain it well but it’s clearly visible, let’s say his opponents are the Democratic party, all of which once upon a time were called the liberal left, I clearly outline the liberal left, because the democratic party has always been considered by us Europeans as the left, contraposed to the right. The Imperial and capitalist industrial military sector which was represented by the Republican Party. Now the situation is no longer as such, the lineup completely changed, why? Because Trump entered the field and ruptured the American Establishment, literally he broke it in half, and he made arise, now I’m not saying for the good or for the bad, I’m just describing, then everybody faces the problem how they see fit, but I’m merely describing what happened, to some extent, actually in a very precise extent, Donald Trump came in a broke the American establishment and created the conditions that allowed a new America that we didn’t know to emerge.

We didn’t know this America, we knew about an America that was not progressive at all, a quite obscure America, a primitive America, I don’t know how to explain it well, to me what comes to mind its Texas, guns, that kind of America that created its entrepreneurial strength through an explicit violent management of the political clashes, in that sense, I’m talking about the history of the 20th century. In America a true leftist party never came to be, a worker’s party, no, because the working class was subjugated directly and immediately with extreme violence, the concept of a trade union in America does not really exist to the extent that we have (Italy), it’s a kind of corporation which immediately connected itself to the mafia, with criminal organizations. You just need to go and see the last movie; I think an important movie, Scorsese’s new movie, The Irishman. The Irishman is a piece of American History, and if one pays attention to the movie he can clearly see how quickly the left was liquidated in America, even before it was given a chance to be born, the working class in America was huge, but was immediately hegemonized by the “groups” that were in charge through an operation that was explicitly violent, the use of the mafia, I mean Kennedy’s assassination was done by the mafia, hehe, I think it’s quite evident.

So you can imagine if they can occupy a piece of the CIA, a piece of the FBI, a relevant part of the state department and more relevantly some of the pentagon, well this is the power, the power of the elites, now Trump arrives on the scene and says, this America, I will describe it a bit better later in detail, this America that is before me is an America, I mean it’s not an America of the Americans, it’s an America of the elites that built its imperial state through finance, and so finance has become the dominant force of the American politics during the whole Clinton, Bush 1, Bush 2, Obama 1, Obama 2 phase. This is the curve, which also highlights the end of an America as polo manufacturer and producer of material goods, and the beginning of an America that essentially became a producer of money through money, to put it briefly. They took the world finance and put it under their control, and through world finance and their power that’s tied to their monopoly of the dollar and started dictating laws to the whole world, to Europe, to Africa, to Asia, even Russia for a certain period, Russia was colonized since 1989 until the arrival of Putin, grosso modo 10 years, Even Russia itself became a colony of the United States of America, or better of the American finance. So this is the first component: Finance.

The second component is the Silicon Valley, Silicon Valley and thus Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Yahoo, Twitter, all of that which is dominating world communication, it became an other incredibly power instrument, which is part of the deep state, from a certain point of view we can consider it the modern, progressive, technological America. But in reality this modern, progressive and technological part intertwined itself very closely with its secret services, let’s speak openly here, Facebook it’s a product of the CIA, of the NSA, those became the instruments of control, and thus here is a picture of America before Trump. The big alliance between the lawyers of lobbyists of the finance of Wall Street, add more, Silicon Valley, and all these businesses of communication you add in Secret Services and you get the deep State.

This deep state allied itself with other international organizations, in particular with the Bank of England and Great Britain as a whole, and tried to imprint, actually let me correct that, managed to successfully imprint the world globalization with the American market. The world globalization it’s us. We are exclusive, we are a special country, we have rights over everyone else, it looks like I’m exaggerating, but when you really pay close attention to their actions this is what they really believe, for example they recently declared that the cosmic space is American, they openly declared it, they went so far that in Wall Street they are beginning to sell lunar lots, to be able to go for future explorations, and the Americans are already selling lunar territory as if they were the owners of the Moon. Some would say this is madness but it’s really their way of thinking. Now why do I look at this reality with big concern, because these gentlemen have the idea that, this elite, the deep state, have the idea that because America dominated the whole 20th century, they have to dominate forever, they have to dominate the 21st century, and instead we have a different reality, apart from the Coronavirus that arrived but it’s partly connected, we have a reality that says that the world is no longer that of the 20th century, and America can say whatever it wants, but a colossus like China emerged and its developing quicker then America, and which is occupying two third of the global trade, America itself has to basically buy everything from China, or rather has DECIDED to purchase everything from China at a low cost and at this point is currently no longer the dominator, it’s dollar does no longer occupy the whole of global trade, and not for naught its emerging quicker and quicker the idea that the dollar can no longer hold the entirety of the global trade and it will be necessary to create a new basket of currencies.

But the basket in which lies the worlds monetary fund is in dollars, it’s a board of directors where America, has the absolute majority stake. But in our current world, this situation is no longer sustainable because the weight of China, let’s leave Russia aside, Russia for other reasons is important but not for economic reasons. Russia is important because of it’s a strategic powerful nuclear power. China does not have this military might but has an overflowing economic power. The Chinese bond market, let’s call it as such, it’s today of 13 trillion dollars. Their weight, their economical weigh and its importance is enormous, as such we have seen recently in the moment that Covid started, and China had to stop, the whole global market stopped as well, all of it derailed from its tracks. Just think about what’s currently happening with the price of Oil, the whole global economy blocked, and the demand of energy collapses, it affects Russia, Iran, and United States. And out of nowhere the price of petrol plummets, to an astounding 10, 6, 8 dollars a barrel. It’s a planetary catastrophe, because oil was the center of the power of the world, I mean oil and the dollar were the absolute nucleus of the worlds power, all of the energy passed through the dollar, and suddenly out of nowhere this market crumbles, today crumbled, yesterday crumbled, I don’t even know what going to happen in the future, because before there can be a recovery we will need time, and all of this will be blocked, all stopped, there’s so much oil currently that they don’t even know where to store it anymore, in fact Russia, Saudi Arabia and America had to come down to an agreement because otherwise where do you stock all of the oil? There’s literally no place of where to store it and thus you can imagine, all of the transport, all of the hundreds of oil tankers that moved around the world are stuck, all of the shipping companies are blocked, the ports, a vast majority of those humongous ports that were used for energy are blocked. We are in front of a colossal upheaval.

I’ll come back to the starting point, why has Trump under certain aspects a certain threat, because he said in that context America is no longer a producer of goods, doesn’t export anything anymore, we only export dollars (I lold in real life), but we also become very weak exporting only dollars, so what did he do, he did a quantitative easing (QE), started producing dollars out of nowhere and thus basically upholds the whole global economy, but this is also an illusion, and so he says, we need to come back to be a manufacturing country, the Americans need to produce and manufacture tangible goods, and become yet again exporters of these very same goods, this will be a healing of sorts, in this way he, I’ll simplify it now, he positioned himself against the whole economic and financial structure of Wall Street, against the federal reserve, and said from now on, it will be the state that will decide the financial trend of the American state and not otherwise, this naturally enraged the previous power and so Donald Trump, who are the visible enemies of Donald Trump? It’s the New York Times, the Washington Post; all of the newspapers of the establishment are against him and so obviously against him also deployed themselves Google, Facebook, the big structures that are closely intertwined with the safety and control systems: the NSA, CIA, FBI, the secret structures of the country which control or try to control the people, the people of the world, first and foremost of the Americans themselves, and after that even our own because we are one of their colonies, This is more or less the answer, so we should start to analyze from now on keeping a close eye on the clash that’s currently happening in the US, which is not a political clash where there are the good and the bad, because it’s not like Donald Trump is nice, Donald Trump uphelds the interests of a piece of the America that I tried to now describe, an America that want to go back to being Dominant but not with finance which makes her weak, but with material manufacturing and production, with export, with a raise of globalization of America but completely different from what it was this past 30 years. Let’s see if he manages or not, if he does he’ll be reelected otherwise we’ll see.

I stopped reading at deep state. I'm sorry, but I don't buy into conspiracy theories. You shouldn't give them much weight either, honestly.
    Gonna give ya the D.!

Quote Originally Posted by The D. View Post
    I stopped reading at deep state. I'm sorry, but I don't buy into conspiracy theories. You shouldn't give them much weight either, honestly.
    There is no conspirary just talks about world economy, not sure why i highlighted it.

Oh god its "Deep State" bullshit.

The "Deep State" is not a real thing, at least not in this not in this country.

It's a Bullshit conspiracy theory that Trump and his supporters use to justify why he's so bad at his job.

"You don't understand! Trump isn't incompetent, the Deep State is just undermining him" or "He said that incredibly stupid thing to throw the Deep State off!"

It's also extremely racist of course because when you start asking who runs the "Deep State" the answer inevitably boils down to "The Jews"
    Last edited by Demon Rin; September 16th, 2020 at 02:03 PM.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 • Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel

The Unholy Trinity: Build the Wall, Deep State and Her E-Mails.

QAnon[a] (/kjuːəˈnɒn/) is a far-right conspiracy theory[2][3][4][5][6][7] alleging that a cabal of Satan-worshiping pedophiles running a global child sex-trafficking ring is plotting against President Donald Trump, who is battling them,[8] leading to a "day of reckoning" involving the mass arrest of journalists and politicians.[9] No part of the theory is based on fact

Lol is this actually a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Rin View Post
    Oh god its "Deep State" bullshit.

The "Deep State" is not a real thing, at least not in this not in this country.

It's a Bullshit conspiracy theory that Trump and his supporters use to justify why he's so bad at his job.

"You don't understand! Trump isn't incompetent, the Deep State is just undermining him" or "He said that incredibly stupid thing to throw the Deep State off!"

It's also extremely racist of course because when you start asking who runs the "Deep State" the answer inevitably boils down to "The Jews"
    Just finished reading, I mean you obviously make a lot of sense, bizzare then it would come from such a renown person, but I guess anybody can raise in politics.
    Last edited by Luca; September 16th, 2020 at 02:16 PM.

Ok this could be an interesting discussion. Hot take: I believe that America has a deep state.
    Not the kind of deep state that Cheeto Benito talks about of course, but still. So presidents come and go within 4 or 8 years (please god let it be 4). They are the most powerful person in the world within that time, and after that not so much. If you take a time span of decades, I think certain civilians are far more powerful than one president. Take Dick Cheney for example, a guy coming from the corporate world to fuck over humanity to an immeasurable degree to put money in his and his corporate buddies' pockets. The shadowy CIA made it possible of course, purposefully lying everyone into war, and that's far from the first or last horrible thing the CIA has done or will do. And then there's the mainstream media who are rightfully hostile to Trump, but also to the left (IIRC a number of large media outlets were in favor of Bolsonaro). Media moghul Rupert Murdoch honestly could be the most powerful person in the world aside from the biggest term-limitless dictators. Then there's guys like the remaining Koch brother who brainwashes people to the far right and has hamstrung the fight against climate change far more than any single president could. To me all this sounds like a deep state.

If I as a leftist progressive were suddenly president right now I don't know what the hell I could even do. You've got the massive military industrial complex and the CIA against you if you're anti-war. Law enforcement would also hate a leftist president. Most mainstream media (not to mention shadowy online groups like Brexit's Camridge Analytica) hate your guts and will relentlessly attack you, twist your words and outright lie. I would expect plenty of assassination attempts too, god knows there's enough insane right wingers to recruit from.

Maybe I'm just being conspiratorial. I'd love to hear other opinions because this is a really interesting subject to me.
    Last edited by DoctorPhil; September 16th, 2020 at 03:02 PM.

There is no deep state. There is no shadow government. And there is no cabal. They're just shitty excuses shitty people in a shitty government use to continue being shitty.
    Gonna give ya the D.!

I’m not a supporter of the CIA but it wasn’t them who lied about the rationale for the Iraq War. It was the Bush admin (Back When the Republicans Were Good and Honest People) who twisted intelligence to make it look like Saddam had WMDs. And then later blamed the CIA for it.

In theory Deep State would be something like this:

No one would be able to keep a "deep state" a secret for long. Same reason there's not aliens at Roswell and there's no bigfoot and there are no psychics and 9/11 wan't an inside job and the guy that shot Kennedy really was the guy that shot Kennedy,and there actually was a moon landing.

It doesn't matter how good your security, how loyal your crew, how small a number of people you have, things slip out.

There's no deep state, no illuminati, no Freemasons, or whatever else. SOMEONE would tell their wife and then she'd let it slip to one of her friends. Or someone would confess on their death bed like Deep Throat or the Loch Ness creator. and then...

I mean, trump is in office. Do you think HE would be able to keep an actual secret that big? He'd have to brag about knowing it five minutes after he learned it, like he did with all his Russia blackmail info.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Since it wasn’t mentioned his peace plan with Israel wasn’t much of peace plan (as the U.S. and Israel weren’t at war with one another) it basically involved him giving the Israeli’s a significant amount of clout, them giving up nothing, and telling the Palestinians “you’ll just have to figure out the best way you can”.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    For fucks sake, I'm not american and I can see how disastrous corrupt and incompetent he has been as president. Basically the same thing he has been in all his "career".
    And Brazil has gone in the same path, electing a complete idiot that's more concerned in obfuscating the corruption he and his sons have been practicing for 30 years than actually do anything useful besides push the conservative agenda.
    It's so nice to know the Brazilians at least understand us!

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    There's no deep state, no illuminati, no Freemasons, or whatever else. SOMEONE would tell their wife and then she'd let it slip to one of her friends. Or someone would confess on their death bed like Deep Throat or the Loch Ness creator. and then...
    While the first two are all conspiracy, Freemasons (or just Masons) do exist. Their lodges are all over the country (there's one in Concord, MA for example). However due to things like, yes, secrets being revealed, and general disinterest, have lead to their numbers falling severely.
    https://www.history.com/news/freemason-secrets-revealed

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Luca View Post
    Not responding to any one point, just using to quote to draw your attention to my earlier point about how What the Fuck Just Happened Today readily demonstrates how maliciously incompetent Trump can be.

https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday...9/16/day-1336/

Day 1336: "Herd mentality."

Spoiler:

1/ Trump – again – claimed that the coronavirus will “disappear” without a vaccine and that the U.S. would develop “herd mentality.” The correct term is “herd immunity,” which occurs when enough individuals develop immunity to prevent the spread of a disease. “With time it goes away,” Trump said during an ABC News town hall. “You’ll develop, you’ll develop herd — like a herd mentality. It’s going to be, it’s going to be herd-developed, and that’s going to happen. That will all happen.” Trump also denied that he downplayed the threat of the coronavirus, contradicting his recorded statements, before downplaying the pandemic even further, saying “in many ways, I up-played it in terms of action.” Trump also insisted that the U.S. is “rounding the corner” when it comes to the virus, even as the U.S. death toll approaches 200,000 people. (New York Times / CNN / The Hill / ABC News / The Guardian)
    • [Transcript] Trump’s ABC News town hall.
    • Dept. of Trump’s ABC News Town Hall A collection of opinion and analysis from Trump’s Tuesday night town hall.
    • ‘Just A Firehose Of Lying’: Trump’s Town Hall Widely Roasted As A Train Wreck. “President Donald Trump ventured from the safe space of Fox News to a considerably more challenging town hall hosted by ABC News in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on Tuesday night.” (Talking Points Memo)
    • ‘He was lying through his teeth.’ “Voters stood up and spoke the truth to President Trump on Tuesday night. And Trump had a very hard time coming out of his Fox bubble to face real questions.” (CNN)
    • Trump’s town hall didn’t go well. (CNN)
    • Trump’s ABC town hall revealed a president disconnected from reality. “He faced tough questions from voters — and had few answers.” (Vox)
    • Trump faces great peril outside Fox News bubble. “President Trump deigned to take hard questions at a town hall on Tuesday night, and the verdict of his propagandists is in: Trump was treated with hideous unfairness even as he managed to convert the spectacle into a triumph through sheer force of his forthrightness and deep benevolence.” (Washington Post)
    • Trump squirms in TV spotlight as voters pin him down on Covid, health and race. “The president stepped outside his Fox News bubble on Tuesday night – and endured a barrage of criticism he couldn’t bat back.” (The Guardian)
    • Trump, in Philadelphia, Says He ‘Up-Played’ the Virus, Then Downplays It. “President Trump presented a view of the pandemic radically at odds with the view of public health officials, insisting again that the virus would disappear on its own.” (New York Times)
    • Trump made at least 22 false or misleading claims at ABC town hall. (CNN)
    2/ CDC Director Dr. Robert Redfield testified that a COVID-19 vaccine won’t be widely available until late spring or summer 2021 and that Americans will not return “our regular life” until then. Redfield said that wearing a mask remains “the most important, powerful public health tool we have,” adding that a “face mask is more guaranteed to protect me against COVID than when I take a COVID vaccine.” Trump, nevertheless, insisted that the U.S. could start distributing a coronavirus vaccine “some time in October” – a much more optimistic estimate than his own health officials – and that Redfield “made a mistake” and shared “incorrect information,” asserting that “The mask is not as important as the vaccine.” Trump added: “The mask, perhaps, helps.” Biden, meanwhile, said: “I trust vaccines. I trust the scientists. But I don’t trust Donald Trump. At this point, the American people can’t either.” (NPR / CNBC / New York Times / Washington Post / Axios / New York Times /Bloomberg / The Guardian / CNBC)
    3/ Trump criticized Biden for not implementing a national mask mandate, even though Biden is not the president and has no authority to do so. Trump’s comments were in reference to a policy promise Biden made as part of his plan to combat the pandemic if he is elected president. Trump added that “A lot of people don’t want to wear masks. There are a lot of people think that masks are not good.” (Washington Post / ABC News / USA Today / The Guardian / Business Insider)
    4/ Trump urged congressional Republicans to support a new coronavirus economic relief bill with “much higher numbers” and stimulus payments for Americans. In May, House Democrats passed a $3.5 trillion bill and have said they would settle for a $2.2 trillion package. Senate Republicans, however, have tried to advance a $300 billion bill, without stimulus checks. Chief of Staff Mark Meadows and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin both said Trump could support a $1.5 trillion deal. (Bloomberg / Washington Post / Wall Street Journal)
    5/ A whistleblower complaint accused an ICE detention center of performing unnecessary hysterectomies on immigrant women and failed to follow procedures meant to keep both detainees and employees safe from the coronavirus, which facilitated the spread of COVID-19. The complaint by a nurse who previously worked at an ICE facility in Georgia said detained women told her they did not understand why they had to get a hysterectomy. Nancy Pelosi called on the Department of Homeland Security to “immediately investigate” the allegations of “high rates of hysterectomies done to immigrant women.” In a statement, Pelosi said Americans “need to know why and under what conditions so many women, reportedly without their informed consent, were pushed to undergo this extremely invasive and life-altering procedure.” The complaint also alleges “jarring medical neglect” at the ICE facility for its refusal to test detainees who had been exposed to the coronavirus or those who showed symptoms of COVID-19. (NPR / BBC / Washington Post / The Hill / Forbes / Vice News / CNN / Vox)
    6/ Attorney General William Barr encouraged federal prosecutors to consider charging violent protesters with sedition. To bring a sedition case, prosecutors would have to prove that demonstrators conspired to attack or overthrow the government. (Wall Street Journal)
    7/ Michael Caputo will take a 60-day leave of absence from the Department of Health and Human Services after accusing government scientists of “sedition” and calling on the Trump’s supporters to arm themselves ahead of the election. HHS said in a statement that Caputo would be on leave to “focus on his health and the well-being of his family.” The health department’s assistant secretary for public affairs had claimed in a Facebook Live video that scientists at the CDC “don’t want America to get well” and that the “shooting will begin” after the presidential election. Paul Alexander, who was at the center of efforts to muzzle the department’s career scientists, will also be leaving the department. (Politico / ABC News / Wall Street Journal / CNN / Washington Post / NBC News)
    8/ Postmaster General Louis DeJoy’s operational changes delayed nearly 350 million pieces – about 7% – of first-class mail during the five weeks they were in effect. Before the changes, the Postal Service delivered more than 90% of first-class mail on time, but deliver rates dropped to about 83% following the changes. Additionally, delivery rates fell 20.4 percentage points in northern Ohio, 19.1 percentage points in Detroit, and 17.9 percentage points in central Pennsylvania – all regions that could decide the November election. The Postal Service, meanwhile, sent postcards urging voters to “plan ahead” if they intended to vote by mail. (Washington Post / New York Times)
    9/ The Big Ten Conference will play football this fall after Trump had a “productive conversation” with the league’s commissioner. Trump also personally spoke with several unnamed Big Ten coaches, athletic directors, and parents. Several Big Ten schools are located in swing states, including Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa. The conference postponed its fall sports season on Aug. 11 because of health concerns. Eight days later, Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren issued a statement that the decision “will not be revisited.” One Big Ten president said Trump “had nothing to do with our decision and did not impact the deliberations. In fact, when his name came up, it was a negative because no one wanted this to be political.” Trump, meanwhile, tweeted “It is my great honor to have helped!!!” (Yahoo News / ESPN / Wall Street Journal / NBC News / Washington Post / New York Times)

poll/ 42% of Americans approve of the job Trump is doing as president – essentially unchanged since July. (Gallup)
    Waldorf: You know Statler, after watching the last nine hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    While the first two are all conspiracy, Freemasons (or just Masons) do exist. Their lodges are all over the country (there's one in Concord, MA for example). However due to things like, yes, secrets being revealed, and general disinterest, have lead to their numbers falling severely.
    https://www.history.com/news/freemason-secrets-revealed
    Well yeah. There's actual freemasons and then there's conspiracy level all-controlling freemasons, they're two different things.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Ah yes, there is a difference between real Freemasons and what everyone else comes up with.

Not that I'd know, women aren't allowed to join.

The freemasons have a lodge in the town I moved from a couple years ago. I actually wanted to join until I grew up and found out none of the conspiracy theory stuff they do is real, lol.
    Gonna give ya the D.!

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorPhil View Post
    (IIRC a number of large media outlets were in favor of Bolsonaro)
    Yeah, no. That's not how it happened. There's an allocated federal fund dedicated for paying the costs of exhibition of political campaign is special time slots, called free electoral campaigning in tv and radio.
    His former party was minuscule so he barely had time in these spaces. You can always air campaign ads out of this schedule but you have to come with the funds for it's production an airing by the candidates, usually form donations form large companies.
    Bolsonaro's campaign was mostly run by twitter and whatsapp, using the same operative group, lead by his son Carlos, that is labelled as fake news committee and hate cabinet. His main support in the political field was/is what’s called Cattle-Guns-Bible alliance in congress and senate, that’s basically a representation of the most conservative parts of Brazil: it’s agro business, the protestant denominations lead by televangelists, gun enthusiasts and right wing and extreme right wing militaries in active or not.
    The only major news outlet that could be said to the favourable to Bolsonaro, is Record TV that’s owned by the leader of the UCKG (pt IURD). The other’s didn’t took his candidacy serious our are very critical of him as president, as he had and has a track record to publically say atrocious things. Like claiming that the only way to fix Brazil was to do what the Military Dictatorship hasn’t done an kill 30k, that he rather have a dead son than a gay son, given his vote in favour to Dilma’s impeachment as a tribute to the military colonel that tortured her during the dictatorship, playing down the fires spread by farmers and lumbers in Amazonia and Pantanal, playing down the covid mishandling (“So what about the deaths? I’m not a gravedigger.”), pushing right wing wackos ahead of the culture ministry in order to homogenize and prude the culture to the evangelical likeness, trying to substitute the head of the federal police for one of his yes man in order to shut an ongoing investigation of corruption against his eldest son, the same scheme is being investigate for his third son, vetoed a pardon to evangelical churches tax evasion but said on twitter that the congress should reverse his decision, is trying o substitute the ongoing social program for ones of his gov’t making, saying using face masks against covid is for sissies, and so on and on.

I always thought Brazil was more catholic than evangelical. At least 3 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by The D. View Post
    The freemasons have a lodge in the town I moved from a couple years ago. I actually wanted to join until I grew up and found out none of the conspiracy theory stuff they do is real, lol.
    It's so boring, isn't it?

Stuff like the Illuminati or Freemasons is fun to wonder about, or to use in fiction, but in real life you have to face the facts. They're either not real or just not cool.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    I always thought Brazil was more catholic than evangelical. At least 3 years ago.
    By sheer numbers, it still is a catholic nation, but the gap is closing. 2010 census give 65-25 Catholics of protestants, but now it might be more 55-40.
    But yeah, the issue was that Bolsonaro got full endorsement from the protestant sect and a big bite of old timers conservative catholics.
    The big schism that the competition between PT and PSDB created over 2010 and 2014, and the TWO ginormous corruption scandals during the 16y of PT gov't lead to the rise of the conservationists.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information