+ Reply to Thread
Page 144 of 144 FirstFirst ... 44 94 134 142 143 144
Results 2,861 to 2,875 of 2875

Thread: American Politics: We're in for it now

Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

Can you please just vote this moron out of the white house in november? I can't take another 4 years of "Trump says stupid shit, is incredibly inept and corrupt and no one gives a fuck".
    And i know you guys in the US have it a lot harder but still ... it's tiring and frustrating.
    3DS FC: 0748-2376-4827

Quote Originally Posted by Kaba Kaba Fruit View Post
    You know, I kind of want Biden to win, die in office, & therefore make the first woman to be president a winner by default. It would be hilarious, sad, and very American.
    Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Awww, I don't want Biden to die. But Vice Presidents have been elected after their superior has ended their term, so maybe afterwards Harris can make a real run for president.
    I mean...he could just resign.

Discovered Stowaway Dorobō Neko's Avatar

Awww, I don't want Biden to die. But Vice Presidents have been elected after their superior has ended their term, so maybe afterwards Harris can make a real run for president.
    As long as Biden does good, in 4 to 8 years, Harris will probably have a primary run as easy as Gore's. Maybe one or two people will try to take her on and try to be the next Bernie Sanders but I have a feeling Harris won't be as easy to make the next Hillary by the right or the left.

I mean since she was picked her favorability rating has gone up and none of the attacks are sticking to her. She really has the best shot at becoming our first lady president if Biden wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Neaeran View Post
    Can you please just vote this moron out of the white house in november? I can't take another 4 years of "Trump says stupid shit, is incredibly inept and corrupt and no one gives a fuck".
    And i know you guys in the US have it a lot harder but still ... it's tiring and frustrating.
    Well, at least hes not Bush Jr
    Every nation gets the government it deserves.---- Joseph de Maistre

Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    Well, at least he’s not Bush Jr
    Trump is massively worse than Bush Jr in terms of domestic things.

The George Floyd bodycam footage is beyond disturbing. ><

Signature:
    Artist - ほし; Character - Red Riding Hood; Original Artwork
    Avatar: Artist - 桃豆こまもち@koma_momozu (Twitter); Character - Unknown; Series - Unknown
    Steam: ​starlalilymoon; Discord: Starla Lily-Moon#2548

Trump calls AOC a "poor student", she dares him to compare their college transcripts to see who got better grades. Loser has to fund the USPS:
    https://secondnexus.com/aoc-trump-tr...mG0oDK178Qzn64

Such a fabulous lady. Not like Trump would ever release his transcript, he's too scared for that.

Meanwhile, on the subject of USPS, a thing to remember:

Hidden:

This is why the post office is superior. Plus, I had trouble with Fedex not apparently finding my place to deliver a package I had to sign. I know at least I can trust the post office and not have annoying difficulty involved with it.

I also am one of the few that goes inside the post office to send in my mail instead of the mailbox, but that's just me and paranoia. I hope Biden fixes this situation with the USPS. Though one time recently I did thank the post office person for all the work they done. I really appreciate them you know.

Signature:
    Artist - ほし; Character - Red Riding Hood; Original Artwork
    Avatar: Artist - 桃豆こまもち@koma_momozu (Twitter); Character - Unknown; Series - Unknown
    Steam: ​starlalilymoon; Discord: Starla Lily-Moon#2548

Trump calls AOC a "poor student", she dares him to compare their college transcripts to see who got better grades. Loser has to fund the USPS:
    https://secondnexus.com/aoc-trump-tr...mG0oDK178Qzn64

Such a fabulous lady. Not like Trump would ever release his transcript, he's too scared for that.

Hidden:

This I believe is one of the very reasons for why Republicans have been trying their damndest to kill off the Postal Service. They have the temerity to offer services for cheap instead of charging out the ass for it.

Also Dolly Parton supports BLM..........I'm desperate to see all the butthurt white people whose feelings are hurt over this. Especially since she dropped this line.

Do we think our little white asses are the only ones that matter? No!”
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

Yesterday's and Today's What the Fuck Just Happened Today (and Yesterday)?
    Day 1301: "Serious consequences."

Spoiler:

1/ For the 16th consecutive day the U.S. has averaged over 1,000 coronavirus deaths. The U.S. is averaging just under 53,000 new cases of COVID-19 per day – down 11% from the week prior. (CNN)
    • A Florida sheriff banned his deputies from wearing masks at work. Marion County Sheriff Billy Woods disputed the idea that masks are a consensus approach to battling the pandemic despite a majority of epidemiologists and other health experts saying face masks and social distancing are key to slowing the spread of the coronavirus. Florida set a daily record for COVID-19 deaths on Tuesday. (Washington Post)
    • Trump added a frequent Fox News guest, who echoes his views on reopening schools, lockdowns, and college football, as a coronavirus adviser. Dr. Scott Atlas has reportedly been informally advising Trump for weeks after Trump first saw Atlas on Fox News, asserting that it doesn’t matter “how many cases” there are in the U.S., wrongly claiming those under 18 years old have “essentially no risk of dying,” implying that high risk teachers should “know how to protect themselves” from COVID-19 and baselessly claiming that “children almost never transmit the disease.” Atlas has also called the idea that schools cannot reopen this fall “hysteria.” (CNN)
    • A team of virologists and aerosol scientists were able to isolate live coronavirus in the air up to 16 feet from patients hospitalized with COVID-19. The team collected air samples from a ward dedicated to COVID-19 patients from seven and 16 feet away. The samples collected could then infect cells in a lab dish. (New York Times)
    2/ The White House clarified that it will provide less financial assistance for the unemployed than Trump initially promised. Unemployment benefit will be $300 per week, not the $400 Trump announced on Saturday when he approved an executive action to expand unemployment benefits. Further, the extra $300 a week in federal unemployment benefits will likely to take a few weeks to reach people, but the funding could be exhausted in five or six weeks. More than 30 million people are receiving some form of unemployment benefits. (Washington Post / Wall Street Journal / ABC News / Bloomberg)
    3/ Congress and the Trump administration remain “miles apart” on negotiations over a coronavirus stimulus deal. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin reportedly reached out to Pelosi seeking a meeting on the stalled talks, but “the White House is not budging from their position concerning the size and scope of a legislative package,” Pelosi and Chuck Schumer said in a joint statement. Pelosi and Schumer also signaled that Mnuchin – again – rejected their offer to find a middle ground between the Democrats’ $3 trillion package the GOP’s $1 trillion proposal. Pelosi and Schumer have not met with Mnuchin and White House chief of staff Mark Meadows since since Friday. (CNBC / Axios / Washington Post / Reuters)
    4/ Public hospital data about the coronavirus pandemic is lagging by a week or more since the Trump administration ordered states to bypass the CDC and report data directly to the Department of Health and Human Services. HHS officials said the quality-control process has led to some delays in reporting hospital capacity estimates. Nearly three dozen current and former members of a federal health advisory committee, meanwhile, have warned that the new coronavirus database is placing an undue burden on hospitals and will have “serious consequences on data integrity.” (Wall Street Journal / New York Times)
    5/ Minutes after Joe Biden named Kamala Harris as his running mate, Trump’s re-election campaign and the Republican National Committee attacked Harris, labeling her the “nastiest,” “meanest,” “most horrible,” and “most liberal leftist nominee” ever to run for vice president. Trump senior adviser Katrina Pierson attempted to paint Harris as an overzealous criminal prosecutor on one hand, while suggesting that her and Biden would neglect law and order on the other. Fox News, meanwhile, attacked Harris throughout Tuesday night with Tucker Carlson intentionally and repeatedly mispronouncing the senator’s first name before being called out by a guest. “So what?” he Carlson, “Comma-la.” And, finally, when Trump was asked about his tweet calling Harris a “phony,” Trump responded: “That she was a what?” He then continued: “She’s very big into raising taxes, she wants to slash funds for our military at a level that nobody would ever believe, she’s against fracking […] extraordinarily nasty.” (NBC News / The Guardian / CNN / New York Times / Politico / Bloomberg / CNN / The Hill)
    • Trump donated to Kamala Harris in 2011 and 2013. Trump gave donations of $5,000 and $1,000 to Harris’s re-election campaign for California attorney general. (Bloomberg)
    • [Analysis] What you need to know about Kamala Harris. “Harris, who is Black and Indian American, will become the first woman of color on a major-party presidential ticket when she and Biden are formally nominated by Democrats at next week’s virtual convention. She will be only the fourth woman on a major-party ticket. Here’s what you should know about her.” (Washington Post)
    • [Behind the move] Inside Joe Biden’s search for his own running mate. “The journey that led to Biden’s selection of Kamala Harris as his running mate began two years ago, say those familiar with the process.” (NBC News)
    • [Perspective] Tucker Carlson’s mangling of Kamala Harris’s name was all about disrespect. “Here’s the thing: It’s really not that hard to get Harris’s name right.” (Washington Post)
    • [Perspective] Kamala Harris crystallizes Trump’s view of women. “Trump responded by sorting women into the good “suburban housewife” he believes will vote for him, and the nasty women who have not respected him.” (New York Times)
    • [Dept. of Whatever] Jared Kushner met privately with Kanye West last weekend. When asked about the meeting, the rapper, who has filed petitions to get on the November ballots for president in several states, tweeted: “I’m willing to do a live interview with the New York Time about my meeting with Jared.” In a recent poll, 2% of voters overall supported West, and just 2% of Black voters supported him. (New York Times / Politico)
    6/ Several states concerned about slower-than-usual mail delivery are extending mail-in ballot deadlines and making backup plans to ease early voting. Legislators in Nevada and Mississippi will allow ballots to be counted as long as they are postmarked by Election Day – even if they arrive much later. Connecticut made a similar change for the state’s primary, while Minnesota agreed to set aside its deadline as part of a court settlement. Several over states are also adding technology that would allow both elections directors and voters to track ballots as they move through the postal system. The American Postal Worker Union, meanwhile, warned that a U.S. Postal Service reorganization, introduced in July, has resulted in thousands of delayed letters. Another directive, requiring mail carriers to immediately head out on their routes, carrying only packages and letters that were sorted the night before, has resulted in some carriers doubling back to pick up a second batch later in the day. (Reuters / Bloomberg)
    7/ Trump has averaged less than one intelligence briefing a week since July 1 – after it became public that he had ignored intelligence reports about Russia offering bounties to the Taliban for each American soldier killed in Afghanistan. Trump went from a high of 4.1 briefings per week on average in March 2017 to 0.7 per week since July 1. Monday’s briefing was his first in August and the first since July 22. In July, Trump received three briefings. (HuffPost)
    8/ Trump privately told people that he intends to replace Secretary of Defense Mark Esper after the November election, frustrated that Esper hasn’t done more to publicly defend him on reports that Russia paid Taliban fighters “bounties” for the killing of U.S. troops in Afghanistan. Esper, however, has told people close to him that he intends to leave regardless of the election’s outcome. (Bloomberg)
    poll/ 40% of voters blame Democrats for failing to pass a new COVID-19 relief package before the initial $600 unemployment benefit expired last week. 39%, meanwhile, blame Trump and Republicans in Congress. (CNBC)
    poll/ 79% of Americans say religious institutions should be required to follow the same social distancing guidelines as secular businesses and entities. 19% say houses of worship should be allowed more flexibility than other kinds of establishments when it comes to rules about social distancing. (Public Research Center)
    poll/ 59% of voters oppose the Trump administration’s demand that schools and colleges fully open for in-person instruction. (Politico)
    • Nearly 1,200 students and staffers in a Georgia school district have been quarantined after 38 students and 12 staff members tested positive for COVID-19 – one week into the new school year. (New York Times / Wall Street Journal)
    • A school district in New Jersey voted this week to hold all classes remotely after more than 400 teachers opted out of in-person classes over health concerns. (CBS News)

Notables.
    1. A federal judge in New York invalidated rule changes made by the Trump administration that would have allowed individuals and corporations to kill large numbers of birds as long as they could prove the birds weren’t specifically targeted. U.S. District Judge Valerie E. Caproni said there is nothing in the century-old Migratory Bird Treaty Act that indicates that in order for an action to be prohibited, it must be directed specifically at birds. He added: “Nor does the statute prohibit only intentionally killing migratory birds. And it certainly does not say that only ‘some’ kills are prohibited.” Under the Trump administration’s reasoning, a company like BP, which was responsible for the 2010 oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico that killed up to a million birds, would not be liable for punishment under the changes to the law. “It is not only a sin to kill a mockingbird, it is also a crime,” Judge Caproni wrote. (Washington Post)
    2. Trump criticized wind power during an interview on Fox News and mourned “all the birds” that are killed by windmills each year. “Site and home values going way down,” Trump told Sean Hannity. “If you see a windmill and hear a windmill, your home is worth half or less than half. It kills all the birds.” (Daily Beast)
    3. Trump tweeted congratulations to a QAnon conspiracy theorist who won the Republican nomination in Georgia’s 14th Congressional District runoff. Marjorie Taylor Greene has posted hours of racist, anti-Semitic, and Islamophobic videos on Facebook. (Axios / NBC News / CNN / ABC News / New York Times)

Day 1302: "A major milestone."

Spoiler:
    •  Dept. of “We Have It Totally Under Control.”
    • Global: Total confirmed cases: ~20,729,000; deaths: ~752,000
    • U.S.: Total confirmed cases: ~5,237,000; deaths: ~167,000
    • Source: Johns Hopkins University

1/ Trump vowed to block funding for the U.S. Postal Service so Democrats “can’t have universal mail-in voting” during the coronavirus pandemic. On Wednesday, Trump told reporters he would not approve $25 billion in emergency funding for the Postal Service, or $3.5 billion in supplemental funding for election resources. And then on Thursday, Trump directly linked Democrats’ coronavirus relief spending proposal to his continued baseless claims that increased mail-in voting would perpetuate “one of the greatest frauds in history,” saying “if they don’t get those two items, that means you can’t have universal mail-in voting because they’re not equipped to have it.” Trump added: “They don’t have the money to do the universal mail-in voting. So therefore, they can’t do it, I guess. Are they going to do it even if they don’t have the money?” States, meanwhile, are working to increase their capacity for mail-in voting with a surge of Americans expected to vote by mail this fall because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Trump also threatened to veto an earlier, $2 trillion round of coronavirus relief spending for unemployment benefits, small businesses, and national security industries if it included any direct funding for the Postal Service. (HuffPost / Washington Post / New York Times / Business Insider / Axios / Bloomberg / Washington Post / CNN)
    • The United States Postal Service has removed some mail sorting machines that would likely be tasked with sorting ballots without explanation or reason. At least 19 mail sorting machines from five processing facilities around the country have either already been removed or are scheduled to be in the near future. USPS has not announced any policy, explained why this is happening, what will happen to the machines or the workers who use them. (Vice News)
    • A former top official at the USPS warned that recent operational changes by Postmaster General Louis Dejoy could “disenfranchise” voters. Ronald Stroman, who stepped down earlier this year as the second in command at USPS, said the changes being implemented just months ahead of an election in which a record number of Americans are expected to vote by mail is “a high-risk proposition.” (The Guardian)
    • The Supreme Court rejected an emergency request by the Republican National Committee and the Rhode Island Republican Party to block state voters from casting mail-in ballots without in-person witness verification during the coronavirus pandemic. Rhode Island requires voters mailing their ballots to sign them in front of two witnesses or a notary, but Gov. Gina Raimondo suspended that requirement because of worries that it would expose voters to the virus. (Associated Press / Reuters / Washington Post)
    • A federal judge in Pennsylvania told the Trump campaign and the Republican Party that they must produce evidence of vote-by-mail fraud in the state by Friday. (CNN)
    • ⚡️ When and how to vote in all 50 states. (Axios)
    2/ Nancy Pelosi and 174 House Democrats demanded that the USPS reverse operational changes made by Postmaster General Louis DeJoy, arguing that the changes will hamper mail-in voting on Election Day. “The House is seriously concerned that you are implementing policies that accelerate the crisis at the Postal Service, including directing Post Offices to no longer treat all election mail as First Class,” the letter reads. The letter warns that the changes “will cause further delays to election mail that will disenfranchise voters and put significant financial pressure on election jurisdictions.” DeJoy also eliminated overtime pay for hundreds of thousands of postal workers and required that mail is kept until the next day if distribution centers are running late. He also removed or reassigned nearly two dozen postal leaders, implemented a hiring freeze, and requested “early retirement authority” for non-union employees. (NBC News)
    3/ Trump’s newly appointed postmaster general holds a multi-million dollar stake in his former company XPO Logistics, a United States Postal Service contractor. Newly obtained financial disclosures show Louis DeJoy holds at least $30 million in XPO holdings, likely creating a conflict of interest as the transportation and logistics company does business with the Postal Service and has contracts with other U.S. government agencies, including the Department of Defense. Separately, on the same day in June 2020 that DeJoy divested large amounts of Amazon shares, he purchased stock options giving him the right to buy new shares of Amazon at a price much lower than their current market price. DeJoy and USPS have said he fully complied with ethics regulations, but ethics experts say they were shocked that officials at USPS approved the arrangement. (CNN)
    4/ The United States reported nearly 1,500 deaths from the coronavirus in a single day Wednesday – the highest since mid-May – as Trump urged Americans to “open up our schools and open up our businesses.” More than half the deaths reported on Wednesday were spread across five states that saw some of the most dramatic case spikes in June and July. The country’s seven-day average of newly reported deaths has remained above 1,000 for 17 consecutive days. According to an analysis of estimates from the CDC, at least 200,000 more people have died than usual since March – about 60,000 higher than the number of deaths that have been directly linked to the coronavirus. (Washington Post / New York Times / New York Times)
    • Kamala Harris blamed Trump for the severity of the coronavirus outbreak in the United States, saying he is “delusional” and failed to take the virus “seriously from the start.” (CNBC)
    • Joe Biden called for a national mask mandate, saying “Every single American should be wearing a mask when they’re outside for the next three months, at a minimum. Every governor should mandate — every governor should mandate mandatory mask wearing.” (CNN)
    5/ The director of the CDC warned that the United States could have “the worst fall, from a public health perspective, we’ve ever had” if Americans don’t follow CDC coronavirus guidelines. Dr. Robert Redfield urged Americans to do four simple things to avoid exacerbating the crisis: “wear a mask, social distance, wash your hands and be smart about crowds.” He added: “I’m not asking some of America to do it. We all gotta do it.” Separately, Dr. Redfield said years of underinvestment in public health infrastructure left the United States “unprepared” for the “greatest public health crisis that’s hit this nation in a century.” (CNN / WebMD / Washington Post / Wall Street Journal)
    • 40.9% of Americans “reported at least one adverse mental or behavioral health condition” since the start of the coronavirus pandemic. According to the new CDC study, 31% of respondents were suffering from anxiety or depression; 26% experienced traumatic disorder; 13% were using drugs or alcohol more heavily to cope with the pandemic; and 11% had seriously contemplated suicide. (Yahoo News)
    6/ The Senate adjourned through Labor Day with talks on a new coronavirus relief bill stalled after six days without in-person meetings. White House officials and top Democrats were trillions of dollars apart when talks collapsed last week. Democrats say they won’t negotiate with White House officials until the GOP agrees to spend at least $2 trillion – double the size of the GOP’s initial proposal. The House passed a $3.4 trillion relief bill in May, but Republicans waited weeks to discuss. (Politico / Washington Post)
    • White House economic advisor Larry Kudlow said Trump opposes the “voting rights” plans backed by Democrats in the next coronavirus relief bill. Kudlow labeled the Democratic plan to give states $3.6 billion to promote election security and mail-in voting during the once-in-a-lifetime pandemic a “really liberal left” wish list item. (CNBC / Politico)
    7/ Unemployment claims fell below 1 million for the first time since the pandemic began in March with 963,000 people filing for first-time benefits. Another 489,000 people applied under the federal Pandemic Unemployment Assistance program. Continuing claims totaled about 15.5 million. Before the coronavirus pandemic, the worst week on record was in 1982, when 695,000 people filed for unemployment benefits. In late March, nearly 6.9 million Americans applied for benefits in a single week. (New York Times / Wall Street Journal / Bloomberg / CNBC)
    8/ The Trump administration proposed changing the definition of American-made shower heads to allow more water flow following complaints from Trump about his hair routine and need to keep his hair “perfect.” Under a 1992 law, shower heads in the U.S. are not allowed to produce more than 2.5 gallons of water per minute. “So shower heads — you take a shower, the water doesn’t come out,” Trump said in July. “You want to wash your hands, the water doesn’t come out. So what do you do? You just stand there longer or you take a shower longer? Because my hair — I don’t know about you, but it has to be perfect. Perfect.” Last December, Trump said regulators were looking to revise rules meant to conserve water for sinks, faucets, and toilets, claiming “People are flushing toilets 10 times, 15 times, as opposed to once.” (Associated Press / The Guardian / BBC / New York Times / Bloomberg)

poll/ 60% of Americans, including 87% of Democrats and 37% of Republicans, considered the selection of Kamala Harris for vice president to be a “major milestone” for the United States. 46% of Americans said they would vote for a Biden/Harris ticket, while 38% would vote for Trump/Pence. (Reuters)
    Waldorf: You know Statler, after watching the last nine hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

Wait being anti-semitic and islamophobic ain't an oxymoron? Man being a right wing nutcase sure is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Neaeran View Post
    Good news! If he wins this time it won't be another four years, it'll be for life! Another 10-20 years of the bullshit instead!

Quote Originally Posted by Dorobō Neko View Post
    As long as Biden does good, in 4 to 8 years, Harris will probably have a primary run as easy as Gore's.
    Gore lost the *actual* election so he's maybe not the best example to go to. But yes, usually incumbents and VPs aren't challenged that strongly by their own party..
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

Or....maybe life gives us a break and he dies of a heart attack.

Discovered Stowaway Dorobō Neko's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Gore lost the *actual* election so he's maybe not the best example to go to. But yes, usually incumbents and VPs aren't challenged that strongly by their own party..
    I am mainly sick of messy primaries that may (2016) or not (2008) cause an issue in the general. Want Harris to have that clear path and full support. Gore was the last time that happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post

Also Dolly Parton supports BLM..........I'm desperate to see all the butthurt white people whose feelings are hurt over this. Especially since she dropped this line.
    Dolly, you are my girl! *goes to listen to Jolene on loop*

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information