+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 LastLast

Thread: The COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Thread

Default Re: The COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Thread

Pharma giant Gilead just announced they will charge nearly $2,500 for a COVID-19 treatment called Remdesivir. The thing is US taxpayers invested at least $70 million developing remdesivir while the cost of making the drug is $10 bucks
    https://twitter.com/markaprovost/sta...95179944488961

Takeaway: The blue states tend to have more cities ( higher population density and international travel.) Hence higher risk. But also took it more seriously once it did hit.

The red states said it was a hoax, the flu, wouldn't wear masks, etc. Had the red states followed CDC reconmendations they could have avoid much of their current crisis

This is also why mcConnel finally officially reversed his position on masks.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

What's the deal with the west coast blue states exactly?
    The inevitable red state covidpocalypse is finally hitting, but California and I think Washington are starting to suck again also?
    Did they take half assed measures too?

Because up here in the Northeast things are genuinely settling down, so it's not like there's some across the board resurgence.

California has nice beaches and its summer, would be my main guess.

https://laist.com/2020/06/25/why_are...california.php

One factor? People are generally tired of being quarantined and might be letting down their guard, perhaps a little too much.

There's also been a shift in who is getting infected, Cannon says. It's younger people, particularly in Los Angeles County, where 18- to 40-year-olds account for 40% of new infections (a month ago they accounted for 33%). In California, more than 44% of new diagnoses are in the 34 or younger age group, up from 29% a month ago.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Reopenings are bombing everywhere that they've been tried; dine-in restaurants, gyms, and bars are pretty much guaranteeing community spread. So places like New Jersey and New York that are still largely locked down aren't showing the same sort of uptick.

SoCal seems to be a lot worse off than areas like San Francisco and its surrounding counties which have much greater success in getting people to socially distance and wear masks. That said, those measures might just be slowing the spread in Central California and those areas might be just as bad in a few weeks.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Thankfully here in Mass. the line seems to have "flattened", in no small part I'm sure because Gov. Baker still has a mask demand in place. That doesn't mean there aren't idiots who want to take them off anyway, but most at least seem to be holding the line. Will other states take that as an indicator? Probably not. Even we here can't resist re-openings, but I don't know how that much it will affect things.

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

COVID news from https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday...6/30/day-1258/

Day 1258: "We're going in the wrong direction."

• 😷 Dept. of “We Have It Totally Under Control.”

• Global: Total confirmed cases: ~10,394,000; deaths: ~509,000
    • U.S.: Total confirmed cases: ~2,624,000; deaths: ~128,000
    • Source: Johns Hopkins University

Dr. Anthony Fauci warned a Senate committee that the U.S. is “not in total control” of the coronavirus and that infections could more than double to 100,000 a day if the country fails to contain the surge. The nation’s top infectious diseases expert said “we’re going in the wrong direction” and the recent sharp rise in cases, largely in the South and the West, “puts the entire country at risk.” Fauci declined to estimate the number of potential deaths, but said “It is going to be very disturbing, I guarantee you that.” (New York Times / Washington Post / Bloomberg / Politico / NBC News / CNN / CNBC)
    • A new strain of the H1N1 swine flu virus is spreading on pig farms in China and should be “urgently” controlled to avoid another pandemic, according to a new study. The new strain, known as G4 EA H1N1, has been common on China’s pig farms since 2016 and has characteristics of the 2009 H1N1 virus and 1918 pandemic flu. The H1N1 swine flu emerged in Mexico in April 2009 and infected at least 700 million worldwide and 60.8 million people in the U.S. An estimated 151,700 to 575,400 people died from the virus globally. (New York Times / BBC / CNBC)
    • South Dakota will not require thousands of people who attend a July 3 event at Mount Rushmore with Trump to practice social distancing. Gov. Kristi Noem said “We told those folks that have concerns that they can stay home, but those who want to come and join us, we’ll be giving out free face masks, if they choose to wear one. But we won’t be social distancing.” (Axios / NBC News)
    • The European Union formally extended a travel ban for U.S. residents, deeming the American response to the coronavirus pandemic insufficient. (New York Times / Bloomberg / Wall Street Journal)
    • The deadline to apply for the Paycheck Protection Program will end today with more than $130 billion left unused. For many small businesses, the process to receive PPP funding was confusing and some businesses were hesitant to apply as forgiveness guidelines shifted multiple times. (ABC News / Washington Post)

poll/ 71% of Americans say they would get a coronavirus vaccine, while 27% say they probably or definitely would not. According to researchers at Johns Hopkins University, at least 70% will need immunity to the virus to reach herd immunity. (Washington Post)

Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday...7/01/day-1259/

Day 1259: "It's going to sort of just disappear, I hope."

• Global: Total confirmed cases: ~10,578,000; deaths: ~513,000
    • U.S.: Total confirmed cases: ~2,659,000; deaths: ~128,000

The number of confirmed U.S. coronavirus deaths is “a substantial undercount” of the true tally, according to researchers at Yale University. Researchers found that the 781,000 total deaths in the U.S. from March 1 through May 30 were about 19% higher than what would normally be expected. And, the number of excess deaths from any cause were 28% higher than the official tally of U.S. COVID-19 deaths during those months. In 45 states, seven-day averages of new infections are higher than they were a week ago and more than 800,000 new cases were reported in the U.S. in June — led by Florida, Arizona, Texas and California. The World Health Organization, meanwhile, warned that some countries might have to reimplement lockdowns to curb the spread of the coronavirus. (CNBC / CNBC / Washington Post / New York Times)
    • The Federal Reserve raised concerns in June about a surge in coronavirus infections and how a second wave could disrupt the economic recovery, trigger a spike in unemployment, and prolong the recession. When this Fed meeting concluded on June 10, there were 20,456 new coronavirus cases in the United States. On Tuesday, the U.S. reported 44,474 new cases. (Washington Post)
    • U.S. companies added fewer jobs than expected in June. Businesses’ payrolls increased by 2.37 million in June, while economists predicted a 2.9 million rise. (Bloomberg)
    • The Treasury Department lent $700 million in coronavirus stimulus funds to a trucking company that warned in May it was in danger of going out of business. The Treasury – aka U.S. taxpayers – will take a 29.6% equity stake in the company, YRC Worldwide, whose stock had fell 27% this year and was worth $70 million. In 2018, the Justice Department sued YRC for allegedly overcharging the Pentagon millions of dollars for shipping. (CNN / Wall Street Journal / Washington Post)
    Trump said he’s “all for masks” and would have “no problem” wearing one in public but thinks coronavirus will “disappear” someday. He then added: “At some point.” While coronavirus cases surge to all-time highs and states reverse reopening plans, Trump told Fox Business that “we are going to be very good with the coronavirus” because “it’s going to sort of just disappear, I hope.” Trump also said he thought he “looked OK” the one time he was seen wearing a face mask and that he thought he resembled the “Lone Ranger.” (CNN / Daily Beast / Associated Press / Washington Post)
    The U.S. bought nearly the entire global stock of one of the drugs proven to work against COVID-19, leaving the rest of the world unable to purchase it for at least the next three months. Remdesivir, which has been shown to help people recover faster from COVID-19, is the first drug to be approved by the FDA to treat the disease. The Trump administration bought more than 500,000 doses of remdesivir, which is Gilead’s entire stock for July and 90% of the supply for August and September. (The Guardian)

Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.

Holy shit Trump is hopeless and delusional. I mean, I knew that already but seeing him say that over the pile of corpses that is this pandemic hits like a metal bat to the gut.

Massachusetts officially has zero new COVID deaths for the first time!
    https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/06/...lEvrvOuZ_2gV5k

It's small, but I'll take it.

Alabama students attend 'COVID-19 parties,' gamble on who gets sick first.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/02/alabam...mpression=true

It's not the CA beaches that is spreading COVID, the virus doesn't spread easily outdoors. It's all the bars, restaurants, gyms, and salons that reopened. Which are now being rolled back. Basically everyone was really good about socially distancing for the first month, then everyone got bored and the small minority of Kevins and Karens went protesting and spreading misinformation about how it's all overblown and masks are actually bad for your health and our freedoms are being taken away, yadda yadda.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

COVID-Specific News: https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday...7/02/day-1260/

Day 1260: "We are not flattening the curve right now."

• Global: Total confirmed cases: ~10,781,000; deaths: ~519,000
    • U.S.: Total confirmed cases: ~2,725,000; deaths: ~129,000

The United States set a single-day coronavirus case record for the fifth time in eight days after reporting more than 50,000 new cases on Wednesday – the largest single-day total since the start of the pandemic. “We are not flattening the curve right now,” said Adm. Brett Giroir, the government’s coronavirus testing coordinator. “The curve is still going up.” Dr. Anthony Fauci added: “I think it’s pretty obvious that we are not going in the right direction.” At least 23 states have paused reopening plans ahead of the holiday weekend. (Washington Post / New York Times / Bloomberg / Wall Street Journal / CNN / CNBC)
    • Coronavirus cases in the U.S. rose by nearly 50% in June, led by states that tried to reopen their economies first. (Washington Post)
    • Herman Cain was hospitalized with COVID-19. The former 2012 Republican presidential candidate was at Trump’s rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma, last month, and was photographed sitting in close proximity with other attendees, none of whom appeared to be wearing masks. At least eight Trump advance team staffers at the Tulsa rally also tested positive for coronavirus. (CNN / CNBC)
    • More than 40 Bay Area school principals were exposed to coronavirus during in-person school reopening planning meeting. The superintendent insisted the meeting was necessary. (San Francisco Chronicle)
    Texas issued a statewide mandate requiring face masks in public in any county with 20 or more positive COVID-19 cases. Gov. Greg Abbott previously opposed attempts by mayors and local officials requiring people wear face masks while in public, but reversed course after the state reported a record of more ​​​​than 8,000 new cases on Wednesday. Florida, meanwhile, reported 10,109 new cases on Thursday, marking a new single-day record for the state and the 25th consecutive day that Florida has set a record high in its seven-day rolling average. And in California, where hospitalizations are up more than 40% from two weeks ago, Gov. Gavin Newsom announced the mandatory closure of bars, indoor restaurants, movie theaters, zoos, and museums in 19 counties where 70% of the state’s population lives. (CNBC / New York Times / Washington Post / Wall Street Journal)

Waldorf:

So much fun living in a hot spot and seeing people being terrible about this whole situation. I went to the store the other day and while they require masks I saw multiple people who decided after entering uncover their mouth and nose and leave it around their chin area. You only have to wear it while in the store, get your stuff then take it off once in the car, it's not that hard. I understand it sucks but I have to wear a mask my entire work shift so the short time shopping should be nothing.

Other fun part is how after sheer incompetence of the Texas Government masks are being required and places are being shut down now, and then seeing reactions of people who feel that this is the end of freedom, or what really annoys me, is complaints that beaches get shut down but people are still free to protest. Oh yeah, also lots of people talking about how wearing masks don't 100% protect you, so what's the point in wearing them.

A bulletproof vest don't protect 100%, but I would still take my chances with it than with out it.

Disney World reopening preview

I worked for Disneyland for a time. The training there definitely insinuates that you put your life on the line for the mouse when the time comes. And there's definitely some cast members who are completely down for that, they're like a weird cult of Mickey Mouse fanatics. And I just feel like a lot of the people who would go to a theme park during a pandemic are the people who aren't into the mask and distancing thing.
    Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー´)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

So Bolsonaro passed a bill on the obligatorily use of masks, he only vetoed the obligatory use of them in the stores, schools and churches. So...it was better had he done nothing. It's starting to look clearer and clearer and subtext intent of purging the poor and the native population.

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

Well, that's just swell. Sure hope someone invents a vaccine sometime soon, or we're all screwed.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information