+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast

Thread: The COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Thread

Default Re: The COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Thread

The Men and Women NCAA Basketball tournament games are still on, but it's going on with no fans at the games.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...nament-go-fans

Quote Originally Posted by Luca View Post
    You are not immune to a second infection if you get cured once.
    Anxiety rising. Also fun, my boss notified me I can't come back to work til I get clearance. Kinda nice since I have some sick pay, but also stressful since we're understaffed already. Doesn't help that I will avoid medical help as long as possible because $$$$. I hate this.
    Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

So here's a helpful little article about telling the difference between allergies, the flu, and COVID-19:
    https://www.wcvb.com/article/is-it-a...K44-rt76PzelgE

*sigh* And here's is a much longer article talking about the spreading rate of COVDI-19 using charts. tl;dr: It's exponential and spreads much faster than you think. A big part of keeping it contained is on the government's part (both local and federal government). Great:
    https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-f4d3d9cd99ca

Right now I'm not happy that I work in retail for a large company. They will not shut down unless they absolutely have to, so I get exposed way more than I want to. And it's not even me I'm worried about, since I'm not old and I have no respiratory issues, it's my mother that I worry about. She's older and coughs a lot from allergies. Ugh.

NBA suspended the season right before a game after Rudy Gobert tested positive. On Monday, he "joked" by touching every reporter's microphone before leaving the press room.

Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson both have coronavirus.

Hanks wouldn't have even been tested for it in the States.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Trump's shutting down travel to and from most of Europe.

It's noteworthy that his right eye looks very swollen now.

Edit: allegedly trade between the US and Europe will still be totally unrestricted?
    Last edited by RoboBlue; March 11th, 2020 at 07:30 PM.

Travel from the UK, one of the European countries most affected by the virus, isn't affected by the ban.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    Travel from the UK, one of the European countries most affected by the virus, isn't affected by the ban.
    yeah what the fuck?

Yesterday we said our farewells to each other at the office, not really knowing when we'll be able to meet face-to-face again. Kind of an eerie feeling, that was. Even though the weather is absolutely gorgeous, I can't help but feel it spoiled by this whole mess. And I'm one of those lucky ones who don't have aging relatives or children living with me and am young and healthy and able to work from home relatively easily (I do worry about my grandparents and my mom - who's been under a lot of stress lately and smokes).
    I'm still thinking about what else I should do. Cat's set for one and a half months with food and litter, I bought a bunch of rice, biscuits, pasta and canned stuff. Also frozen vegetables. Not sure if I should buy some more things, just for peace of mind. On one hand, I don't want to hoard a ton of food I'm not going to eat in a decade, on the other, well, I don't want to get hungry if/when shit hits the fan. I'll see if I can get some other non-perishable foodstuffs I'm bound to eat sooner or later anyway.

Luckily, I'm all set when it comes to medicine and vitamins (might get some more today just to be safe), so that's a nice feeling.

Also, it's good to have friends with a black sense of humor at times likes this. Takes the edge away from a horrible situation and calms the nerves.

I thought that the hysteria surrounding the virus was being developed to cover the trade wars of major players
    https://salegabriel.com/fr/
    Last edited by wudogidi; May 19th, 2020 at 01:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wudogidi View Post
    I thought that the hysteria surrounding the virus was being developed to cover the trade wars of major players
    seems to me Russia is taking advantage of that on purpose to try to collapse American shale oil industry, and thus raise prices for energy import, so that they have to rely on Russia.

It pretty secretive(secretive as in not much is talked about this) but a lot of bickering between the global players has been about the nordstream and turkish stream.

From what I understand Russia has been preparing for this moment and have 590$ billion in reserves, means that they can sustain the damage of low oil prices for some 3 years.

Whereas the Americans may last only 6-12 months, and their business plans RELIES on Russia's cooperation. sooo boom boom bye bye

you can read more here:

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/mi...sia-win-131187

Finally a politically incorrect video that explains why it's happening in China

Every nation gets the government it deserves.---- Joseph de Maistre

It just hit me while driving this morning that Trump's statement publicly blaming Europe for the virus isn't too far off from the Chinese propaganda blaming the US.

Something to keep an eye on.

I'm honestly shocked Trump hasn't used this opportunity to absolutely whale on China.

How is anything on that video politically incorrect? Wild life meat and bogus medicine made out of rhino's horn or tiger's bones is well known.

Discovered Stowaway

Not surprisingly, the other professional sport leagues in the US have suspended their season(Major League Soccer(MLS) and NHL(National Hockey League). Although it is not official, the MLB(Major League Baseball) is expected to suspend operations as well. The MLB is expected to cancel the rest of the preseason and may push the start of the regular season back.

Edit: The pressure is on the NCAA now. I know they are not suspending their top two post season basketball tournaments, but I don't think playing their games in an empty stadium is the right move here.

Edit 2: Most of the men's and women's college basketball conference championship tournaments have been canceled.
    Last edited by Namiorbust; March 12th, 2020 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    How is anything on that video politically incorrect? Wild life meat and bogus medicine made out of rhino's horn or tiger's bones is well known.
    A bunch of Xi apologists have been going around calling any criticism of China racist.

He was referencing that.

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    A bunch of Xi apologists have been going around calling any criticism of China racist.

He was referencing that.
    Really? Censoring Pooh seamed such a sound decision.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

I may also add, the only thing racist would be saying that any asian you encounter is carry the virus or that all the epidemics come from china. Criticizing an well know, and frankly discussing, police of the Chinese government is just political discussion.

Article of what to do/not do, with the basic goal of: flatten the curve.
    https://www.flattenthecurve.com/?fbc...ERYDAY_CHOICES

I know my retail work is not going to close unless we hit bubonic plague levels, but damn they really should decrease the hours so it can help us even a little bit.

For some reason a ton of people are buying toilet paper and bottled water in my area, on top of disinfectant. I don't get it. I guess if you get sick it's good to have all that toilet paper and not leave the house, but this disease doesn't infect the water. Maybe people are just scared and hoarding? I don't know.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information