+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast

Thread: The COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Thread

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

Default Re: The COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Thread

Today's COVID specific stories from What the Fuck Just Happened Today

https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday...5/22/day-1219/
    Day 1219: "Petulant child."

Trump demanded that governors reopen houses of worship “right now” and threatened to “override” them if restrictions aren’t lifted “by this weekend.” Trump, however, does not have the authority to override state orders to close churches or limit the size of services. Hours later, the CDC released “interim guidance” for reopening places of worship after Trump deemed all places of worship “essential.” (Bloomberg / Associated Press / Axios / CNBC / NBC News / CNN / Politico / Wall Street Journal)

Dr. Anthony Fauci warned that extended lockdowns could cause “irreparable damage” and have “unintended [health] consequences.” Dr. Fauci said he supported states taking cautious steps to restore normality and lift stay-at-home orders, adding that “Now is the time […] to begin seriously looking at reopening the economy, reopening the country to try and get back to some degree of normal.” Dr. Fauci, however, cautioned states against reducing social distancing measures too quickly, adding they must take “very significant precautions.” (CNBC / Business Insider)

The CDC estimates that roughly a third of coronavirus infections are asymptomatic and around 40% of coronavirus transmission occurs before people feel sick. CDC officials cautioned that those numbers are subject to change as they continue to learn more about the virus, and that the current numbers are only meant for planning and preparation purposes. The CDC also said its “best estimate” is that 0.4% of people who show symptoms and have the virus will die. (CNN)

A study of 96,000 hospitalized coronavirus patients across six continents found those who received hydroxychloroquine had a significantly higher death rate than those who did not receive the drug. Trump has repeatedly promoted the drug as a “game changer,” and recently claimed that he has been taking the drug the last few weeks. The study also found that patients who were given hydroxychloroquine were more likely to develop a type of irregular heart rhythm, or arrhythmia, which can lead to sudden cardiac death. The study represents the largest analysis of the risks and benefits of treating coronavirus patients with antimalarial drugs to date. “It’s one thing not to have benefit, but this shows distinct harm,” said a cardiologist at the Scripps Research Translational Institute. The director of preventative cardiology at Stanford said the study’s findings offer “absolutely no reason for optimism that these drugs might be useful” in treating COVID-19. (Washington Post / The Lancet / Politico)

poll/ 27% of Americans think their state is moving too quickly to reopen, while 21% say their state is moving too slowly, and 51% say their state is moving “about right.” (Kaiser Family Foundation)

poll/ 39% of Americans approve of Trump’s handling of the coronavirus pandemic, while 60% disapprove. (ABC News)

Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

A good look at 4 ways to assess your personal risk if you start going outside again:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...nrAwXSrukDcFRw

I mean, I don't think Memorial Day Weekend was a good time to start opening things, but here we are.

I am thinking of volunteering to help the hospitals, as they probably need as much help as they can get, but not sure if I can handle that kind of job. I'm not very good with being around crowds of people is the reason. Though I also know jack shit about anything to do with healthcare, but there must be something I can do to help right?

Signature:
    Artist - ほし; Character - Red Riding Hood; Original Artwork
    Avatar: Artist - u_U; Character - Kyoka; Series - Princess Connect! Re_Dive
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/goddessarisu/ (Add me if you wish!)
    ~Formerly known as Stranger~

Call and ask. They could tell you if there's anything they'll accept volunteers for, and if there's not they could probably direct you to something that can be helpful. At the very least you could try calling either your city hall or the Red Cross.

The fact that you want to help is wonderful. Right now until you can find something to volunteer for, just do what needs to be done. Stay inside, wear a mask when you go outside to do errands, wash your hands/keep hand sanitizer ready.

A local bar near me that is very popular in the summer decided to open yesterday. Had dozens of people inside until 4 in the morning, nobody social distancing or wearing masks. Then the bar was stupid enough to post videos of it on their facebook story.

Mind you this is on Long Island. This county has 39,000 confirmed cases with 1,800 deaths. We still haven't met the metrics for the first wave of re-opening, let alone a packed bar.

Of course now they're playing damage control horribly. They deleted their FB story and videos, but of course they've already been reshared on other pages and sites. They're deleting comments from people calling them out for their selfishness. And at least a dozen people have posted screenshots of them reporting them on the State site to report businesses violating the laws during the pandemic.

So bye bye liquor license. Or at least I'm hoping.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Call and ask. They could tell you if there's anything they'll accept volunteers for, and if there's not they could probably direct you to something that can be helpful. At the very least you could try calling either your city hall or the Red Cross.
    Yeah, I checked out the Red Cross website a little bit ago, have to do some research. There's a lot of hospitals in my city, so they might need some help someplace. I never thought of calling city hall, actually I didn't know those existed. What is it exactly?

Signature:

To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

America is close to have more Covid deaths than military death’s since WWII, and Brazil is following the lead in order to be the second.

Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    America is close to have more Covid deaths than military death’s since WWII, and Brazil is following the lead in order to be the second.
    Wasn't there 400,000 military deaths during WW2?

If the number of death gets that high, the US is some serious shit.

Though at the same time, I think a huge portion of the population just wouldn't care even if there were 3 million deaths.

An assessment of the risk levels of 14 summer activities:
    https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...XJBc7n4dU0SMBM

aka, don't go to the fucking night club.

Quote Originally Posted by starlalilymoon View Post
    Yeah, I checked out the Red Cross website a little bit ago, have to do some research. There's a lot of hospitals in my city, so they might need some help someplace. I never thought of calling city hall, actually I didn't know those existed. What is it exactly?
    A city hall is the building where your town council, or city council/state government conduct their business. So basically it would be like contacting your mayor's office, only I'd say the mayors are kinda busy right now, so you would be getting advice/info from various secretaries/assistants. Although if you live in Pittsburg as your location says, you could also just go straight to the website:
    https://pittsburghpa.gov/

Quote Originally Posted by JazzMazz View Post
    Though at the same time, I think a huge portion of the population just wouldn't care even if there were 3 million deaths.
    Those would be the jackasses who consider it all a "necessary sacrifice".

Quote Originally Posted by JazzMazz View Post
    Wasn't there 400,000 military deaths during WW2?
    I meant by post WWII

A city hall is the building where your town council, or city council/state government conduct their business. So basically it would be like contacting your mayor's office, only I'd say the mayors are kinda busy right now, so you would be getting advice/info from various secretaries/assistants. Although if you live in Pittsburg as your location says, you could also just go straight to the website:
    https://pittsburghpa.gov/
    Oh! Yes, I live in Pittsburgh indeed. It's a pretty nice city. And thank you so much for that link! -makes sure to bookmark it-

Also, a city hall is basically a mini-Congress/White House/etc. type of thing is that correct?

Signature:

Quote Originally Posted by starlalilymoon View Post
    Oh! Yes, I live in Pittsburgh indeed. It's a pretty nice city. And thank you so much for that link! -makes sure to bookmark it-

Also, a city hall is basically a mini-Congress/White House/etc. type of thing is that correct?
    Pretty much, yup. Except nobody lives there, it's all just offices.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Town_hall

Pretty much, yup. Except nobody lives there, it's all just offices.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Town_hall
    Oh, cool. There are some pretty town halls in that wikipedia link xD

Thank you for explaining to me!

Signature:

As was sadly predicted, Sweden's decision not not lockdown and try for "herd immunity" has come to bite them back in the ass:
    https://www.sfgate.com/science/artic...1Cn6LGlPINx2kI

So this is what it feels like to be a global pariah.

How could we hate you, wolfy?

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

You silly Swede, you.

We Norwegians who live close to the border travel to Sweden a lot to buy things cheap. Won't be doing that for a while. My parents did go right before the border closed. Bought lots of meat.

I should take one of those no homers club pictures and replace the no homer sign with Sweden.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information