+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The history of Arlong Park Forums

Default Re: The history of Arlong Park Forums

Did we ever find out what FB stood for?

One of the weirdest parts of reading old chapter threads is seeing everyone speculate about this strange Usopp-y character by the name of Sogeki King or Sniper King.
    Last edited by Mr. Hide; March 19th, 2020 at 12:55 PM.

My most vivid memory of Kaizoku Fansubs is not knowing how torrents worked when I started trying to use them.

I started lurking around the time the mods banned all the shitposters in one go (there was some real infamous poster I forgot the name of). Only made an account much later because I was too scared lol.

I had an old account long ago by the name of CLERIC-SHADOW when the forum was in it's early days. Got banned because I started a Super Smash tourny for the forum but life and school caught up so I couldn't finish the tourny. The mod at the time got mad and banned me for it, even after I made a post claiming I couldn't finish the tourny. Got mad and lurked for awhile and made this account. Now I'm a professional lurker who posts once every 6 months. This forum is my family and heart, some great memories with AP forums from a young teenager to creepy middle aged man .

I don't remember how I found this place. I was a freshman in College on Winter Break back in 2009 when I really got into One Piece. It was half a year later before I joined, so I probably found the site because of spoilers and chose to stay. Been a nice decade.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

I remember lurking for a little bit and then finally joining because I found the Love and Loathe thread interesting. Think that was around when I caught up with the series and went from "what happens next" to "I want to discuss this". Eventually found out I enjoy reading manga more without others opinions, so I just visit every now and then.

I like this forum though, it reminds me of the old internet. There's no ads, no feeling of it having gone from an user-focused experience to businesses trying to wring out money, site isn't more streamlined than it needs to be, but it's not totally abandoned either. Just a chill place where people talk about a fantasy pirate... and a little bit of everything else. Like a little bubble in a pool of commercialized madness.

OldSnake's post got me thinking about my old account here.

Warning: bitchy story about my past.

So, a little about me personally. I was born with autism and I grew up to a single parent who didn't have much free time to raise a kid. Because of the two factors, my mom didn't bother teaching me social skills or how to act. I think her attitude was so long as I didn't hop aboard a stranger's van or sneak out of the house in the middle of the night, she was doing the best she could do, and didn't need to accomplish anything more with me. So I was this horny, whiney, temperamental man-child who didn't know any better. My autism and my childhood don't excuse who I was, but me being a normal, well-adjust adult wasn't a possibility back then. I had also never socialized with people outside of school before, and I had never talked with anyone about anything outside school work and what tv shows we liked.

And with that mindset in my head, I joined back in September of 2005 under the name CaptainAWB1. I was eighteen, just out of high school, not sure what to do with myself and without a job. A message board about my favorite manga at the time seemed like a good distraction from all that. I made a post in a 4Kids dub thread where someone pointed out whatever news I was trying to bring up had been discussed up and down for a few pages. My dumbass didn't bother to check what people were talking about. A sign of things to come.

I stumbled around the forum, making posts that were either superficial stream of consciousness or emoticon-abusing squeeing fanboy. I made friends, with some names still in my head like Silpheed, Snow Yeti, Omnichild, PirateNeko, Cosmic Debris, Taboo, Lalala, Usopp with a Pushpop, Mr. Bushido, Funky Funky Usopp, Bad Beat, and some weird vitriolic relation with Local-Chan for some reason. I also made a lot of enemies with Carter, Zephos, Aldritch, Zio, and I'm sure many, many, many others. I also helped run the first Other Anime Tournament despite not knowing like half the characters in that silly thing. I also had terrible habits of hitting on any profile with a female symbol under their username or writing up furious paragraphs in response to anyone who treated me as anything less than a superhero. Again, my childhood and my autism don't excuse that, but me NOT being that wasn't a possibility back then.

My ego was out of control back in the day. After about four or five months of embarrassing myself and earning a reputation, I pulled some story out of my ass about my mom whom I was living with finding out about this place and wanting me banned. I made up this lie so I could create a second account and abandoning my problems with the old one. Didn't work out.

I wasn't a well-meaning simpleton, mind you. I was envious of senior members. I saw those bolded names as a status symbol of importance that demanded respect. I guess it was the first ranked position I felt I could obtain. I wanted so badly to be a senior member and prove to everyone I was owed their respect that when a friend of mine said they were leaving the forum, I asked if I could have their profile. I checked out the senior boards lickity-split just to see what was there. I also sent some PMs under their username urging a friend I was on rocky terms with to smooth out their problems with me. That and a convo I had with senior member Roz on another forum about the senior board were dead giveaways something was amiss and my account was soon banned. I created this account about two weeks later.

I still remember being in a dentist's chair a month or two later, the banhammer still on my mind. Up until then, I had blamed everyone else for everything wrong in my life. But at that point, I couldn't deny that the one constant factor in every terrible moment I had had online was me. Getting banned made me realize I was the problem that needed fixing.

That's what I take away from this place: it was a school of hard knocks that taught me how to grow up. A lot of people called me out of my bullshit; they're the ones who taught me how to be an adult, how to fit in, how to act, how to be decent. I'm 33 now, I've mellowed out. I have control over myself now, gained with age. I know better. I don't read One Piece anymore so I don't participate that much. I haven't talked to any of the friends I've made in over a decade. We all drifted apart, mostly from me burning bridges with them. I still come here out of habit, just to see what the place is up to.

I met the user Shuhan through a request for a D&D group here. He's a been good friend, so this place is still giving to me.

I'm sorry to everyone I've hurt or abused.
    Last edited by Mr. Hide; October 2nd, 2020 at 09:46 AM.

You are awesome Mr.!

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

I can't believe it's been 5 years since I made an account here. 5 years! Though admittedly, everything past 2018 has been a blur to me. The Whole Cake chapter threads hold a...special place in my heart , haven't had such steam during Wano, though perhaps it's a result of chapter threads coming later and me not going to the spoilers section very often.

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    I can't believe it's been 5 years since I made an account here. 5 years! Though admittedly, everything past 2018 has been a blur to me. The Whole Cake chapter threads hold a...special place in my heart , haven't had such steam during Wano, though perhaps it's a result of chapter threads coming later and me not going to the spoilers section very often.
    The breaks have also gotten a tad more frequent and there's not the hype of Year of Sanji + the Character Tournament. From my memory, though, both arcs have been received pretty similarly. They're definitely my 2 favorites from post-timeskip, though Wano's place has the potential to fluctuate.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Krupp View Post
    You are awesome Mr.!
    Me? Nah. I'm just a flower that took a looooot of extra steps to bloom.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information