+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 970: Oden Vs Kaido

Default Re: Chapter 970: Oden Vs Kaido

Yay! New Chappie!

Hopefully in a couple weeks we'll see a resurgence of the Oden eating Oden memes.

Well, that was kinda lackluster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

Hehe knew it wasn't going to be a fair 1 on 1 against Kaido.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Break next week.

The battle was hyped a lot last week and even referred to as "Hour of legends" and yet it was very underwhelming.

Kaidou appeared static due to his lack of involvement throughout the arc so far. The clash between Oden and Kaidou was 1 hit and Oden made short work of Kaidou, its only thanks to trickery Kaidou won, which is underwhelming for the big villain that his fight vs luffy will be the climax of a saga that spanned over 300 chapters.

Really didn't like this chapter at all.

I'm pretty damn sure we'll be getting another flashback, if not multiple, in this arc.

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

I was not particularly enthralled by this chapter, and I don't imagine most of this thread will be. In a way, though, it felt inevitable. No way Oda could have done justice to THE battle between the Nine Red Scabbards and Beasts Pirates in a single chapter, but it wasn't gonna be likely for us to get a lengthened focus on a past event. Not really a justification from a story standpoint, but it does feel expected from a production standpoint.

I don't really have a clear opinion yet on Oden's fight with Kaido and their relation to each other power-wise. I feel like part of the fanbase has built this ridiculous wall around every character introduced as a 四皇 and won't be pleased with any upstart who gives them a challenge. Even if said upstart has been consistently portrayed as one of the top samurai in a country whose strength has helped it stand alone. With that being said, though, I'm not sure that Oden needed to pull out Higurashi to make Oden lose. One of the biggest things we know about Kaido so far is that he has lost battles, but no one's been able to finish him off, and he ultimately powers his way to the top. Oden's softness and compassion is a well documented trait of his, so it's not like Higurashi's trick was completely out of the blue...I'm just questioning how necessary it was.

Regardless, I know this for sure: Human Kaido - much, much more threatening than Dragon Kaido. Though I mean, if I was an unkillable titan I would definitely fuck around during battle flying and breathing fire, cause that's not too much fun to do AFTER ending my opponent in one blow with my mace. This chapter made me certain that we are getting a Kaido flashback, considering his rather matter of fact tone during the fight as well as King and Queen being shadowed. Maybe said flashback will develop my opinion more on these turn of events. Also, if swords are the only thing that has injured him, and one of those swords is now in Zoro's possession, what does this mean for Luffy?

I am not immortal
    I am just a man
    A power-craving tyrant
    Beyond the shadows in the sand
    Men have come to fear me
    Many bow and cry
    Known across the desert
    I am the one who will not die
    Last edited by Kaido King of the Beasts; February 2nd, 2020 at 11:15 AM.

Spoiler:

Is this actually the "Hour of Legends", might've been referring to Oden's death and what not, since that's what the people of Wano would've actually witnessed.

It's a buildup dudes... The fucked up shit is coming soon

Meh chapter for me, like it was said several times previously I don't like Oda showing Kaido in such position of weakness for two reasons
    it shatters the image of Kaido being that ultimate beast in duel because while his introduction chapter says that he suffered defeat, it also says that one should always bet on him in 1 vs 1.
    it also makes Oden extremely dumb for dancing like a clown for 5 years and trusting Orochi (the guy who usurped a country through nothing but lies and trickery) when he could have done something. I hope we're going to get a good explanation on this. It simply being to avoid civilian casualties won't be enough since during these 5 years said civilians were getting overworked and would get killed if they refused to obey.

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

This chapter reminds me a lot of how Wano Country was hyped as an independent nation whose warriors were the reason for this independence. I feel like a lot of us expected this hype to translate into a stiff challenge for the Straw Hats, and while Oda has made good on this hype, he's showcased it in the protagonists and allies. Make of it what you will.

Spoiler:

It's funny when you consider Oden is pratically a higher ranked subordinate for both Whitebeard and Roger.

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

So Kaido is not from Onigashima.

It seems like it happened to Oden the same to Bartolomeo when he tried to cut Gladius's neck but failed cause his fat body decieved him lmao

In vacuum I like the Oden of this chapter that is like that unstoppable that was foolish to trust the snake and is now about to slay it down. And my feeling when reading was that Oden was about to do just that until the woman switch it. From the way Kaido fell to Oden decisive statement, to Kaido's face. It tells me that man was crazier than I thought and I could have died. Then they get overwhelmed by the sheer number of the other side. He gets to be portrayed as the monster of Wano one last time. And Kaido will rely on not having used his hybrid form since he fought Whitebeard or the rocks to impress back the readers.

Young Shinobu does look good and I suppose her training and knowledge of the castle will help with escaping.

I think I could like this chapter if it was 2-3 months after Oden's return instead years later. Taking so long for it to boil over makes it hard for me to muster any positive feeling about Oden feeling fed up. Like that random citizen I feel it's a bit too late for me not to be left cold. I might had more sympathy if instead of protecting the country he stood down because Orochi had his family in his dungeons, ready to be executed as soon as he moved and he didn't want to risk their lives.

Also it's too late to make me feel like the samurai live up to their names. It more feel like Oden was great and since people don't know anything about them they assumed they were usually of his caliber.

Unnecessary tangent
    Spoiler:

Like usual I do not like this new perspective on Whitebeard were he was a softie and was unwilling to risk people. I don't know for Roger because he was never in that position but we saw with Whitebeard that he refused to stand down for safety at MarineFord or that Luffy was telling Vivi that people die and refused to stand down for safety at Ennias Lobby.

But with this new history I guess Oden learn to go from madman that maybe could have saved his country to softie that let his chance pass.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    It's funny when you consider Oden is pratically a higher ranked subordinate for both Whitebeard and Roger.
    Well i mean Queen did manage to clonk BM on the head that one time.

To infinity and beyond! lello4ever's Avatar

do you think the traitor can be denjiro? or even Toki?

Quote Originally Posted by lello4ever View Post
    Unless there's more than one traitor, no. There's too many things happening in the present day that Denjiro should have no idea about.

Something seems eerily off with how much Toki is smiling throughout all this. I really hope Oda drops some surprise about why she has that demeanor (does she know something about the future?). Just does not seem like the reaction I would expect a concerned parent/wife to have.

Quote Originally Posted by lello4ever View Post
    Denjiro, sure. Toki, nah.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information