+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 970: Oden Vs Kaido

Default Re: Chapter 970: Oden Vs Kaido

If shinobu was kinemon's protegee then for sure he shared valuable information with her, even if oden didn't knew about her/it. The way oden rejected her is same way oden rejected orochi when he first meets him. There is none else who can be the traitor.

Quote Originally Posted by uniaka ikuzakas View Post
    If shinobu was kinemon's protegee then for sure he shared valuable information with her, even if oden didn't knew about her/it. The way oden rejected her is same way oden rejected orochi when he first meets him. There is none else who can be the traitor.
    Well i mean he only did that so they wouldn't boil her too. She'd have to be shit at being a ninja not to pick up on that. Not that i have anything against her being a traitor but if that was her turn to darkness i'd laugh. Like oh no Oden shamed my honor by not allowing me to be boiled too

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Well i mean he only did that so they wouldn't boil her too. She'd have to be shit at being a ninja not to pick up on that. Not that i have anything against her being a traitor but if that was her turn to darkness i'd laugh. Like oh no Oden shamed my honor by not allowing me to be boiled too
    Didn't he rejected her since battle started, when she saved him, like don't join this battle. As her reason to betray, him and shinobu seem to go way back, ever since she was a kid, who knows what he did to her. Like she was kinemon's protegee yet didn't tell him anything for 5 years about the deal oden made with orochi, not even send him a note or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Seafarer33 View Post
    I initially read it as him losing his focus when Oden goes down, only to be caught off-guard by his opponent. But now you mention it, that panel does have a back-stabbing flavor.
    Isn't that supposed to be King?

i think a lot of people were surprised to see that Kaidou was a strategist whereas most of suppose he was more of the 'let think after' kind of guy

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    It feels like an arc built for the reread, given what a puzzle its present and past have become. Maybe it's meant to reflect the time travel aspect, maybe it's just Oda experimenting with structure. The binge reread when all is said and done and everyone knows what's going on is going to elevate the story a lot, I think, especially for people who aren't really vibing the structure of the week to week version.
    100% Agreed, I think the strength of Wano will be on the reread or reading the volumes. We already got 6 chapters for the current volume so we will see how it reads then.

Anyways the chapter was good. I think Oda decided to only focus on Oden's fight, as he isn't part of the current story. Its his flashback/story arc so it was important to see him fight. We will see the akazaya nine fight in the current story so there was no need to show them fight, for half a page or so.

So Kaido kinda confirmed that there is a traitor in Oden's party, personally I can't see how anyone can be the traitor at the moment. Some said it might be Kanjuro, Denjiro, Shinobu or even Toki. Tbh Toki seems impossible to me, its his wive and what would she gain from Oden being dead, nothing. Shinobu just joined Oden's party and was kicked out to save her from being boiled, so at least in the current story it seems unlikely to be her. Denjiro is one of his earliest followers same as Kinemon so why should he betray Oden. Same goes for Kanjuro, all of his samurai seem to devoted to him, I can't imagine anyone being the traitor, if it turns out to be one of them I will be surprised and expect a good explanation from Oda.

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    I think it's supposed to have happen in the middle of the big brawl using the confusion instead of move made after Oden was down.

I wonder if the boiling will help us narrow down the traitor like the process or order of the boiling since Kaido probably isn't killing him/her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seafarer33 View Post
    I initially read it as him losing his focus when Oden goes down, only to be caught off-guard by his opponent. But now you mention it, that panel does have a back-stabbing flavor.
    It could definitely be read both ways. The contrast between the King-like silhouette a panel later and the very not King-like hand doing the stabbing is what's got me thinking about it. I'm hoping to get something concrete about the traitor by the end of the flashback. The order of the boilings (assuming they aren't all thrown in at once) is an interesting idea for how to achieve that.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Gol D. Ace OP View Post
    100% Agreed, I think the strength of Wano will be on the reread or reading the volumes. We already got 6 chapters for the current volume so we will see how it reads then.

Anyways the chapter was good. I think Oda decided to only focus on Oden's fight, as he isn't part of the current story. Its his flashback/story arc so it was important to see him fight. We will see the akazaya nine fight in the current story so there was no need to show them fight, for half a page or so.

So Kaido kinda confirmed that there is a traitor in Oden's party, personally I can't see how anyone can be the traitor at the moment. Some said it might be Kanjuro, Denjiro, Shinobu or even Toki. Tbh Toki seems impossible to me, its his wive and what would she gain from Oden being dead, nothing. Shinobu just joined Oden's party and was kicked out to save her from being boiled, so at least in the current story it seems unlikely to be her. Denjiro is one of his earliest followers same as Kinemon so why should he betray Oden. Same goes for Kanjuro, all of his samurai seem to devoted to him, I can't imagine anyone being the traitor, if it turns out to be one of them I will be surprised and expect a good explanation from Oda.
    One Piece as a whole is such a different beast both between the weekly and the binge read and between the first and second reads, but Wano feels a lot more designed for the latter two categories than any other arc so far. It's a bold tactic, and hard to say if it contributed to things like Kimetsu catching up sales-wise (will all the Wano volumes get a boost after the arc ends, I wonder?) but I can't blame Oda for wanting to write that way. The weekly reading experience only exists for one moment in time, but the volumes are what's going to be the ongoing legacy for new readers and rereaders. I doubt many other mangaka really get the freedom to let the weekly experience be secondary like that, given how omnipresent the threat of cancellation seems to be.

There's a stabbing, then next panel we see King's silhouette and blood dripping from his sword. Not a big mystery that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

I am getting Vibes that Toki is the traitor and has used her fruits power to guide things to where she things "they need to be."

Also a thing of note, Kaido was once again attacked while drunk off his rear end. I wonder how being completely trashed affects things like Haki or the CP9 Martial Arts stuff.

Mangaspoiler Emigrant RigaCrypto's Avatar

Maybe Toki can also see in the future somehow. Otherwise I don't understand how time-travel works. She could end up in the middle of the ocean.

Since she is presumably from Wano and tries to get home, it is implied that she somehow chooses the place where to travel in time or at least a bigger setting (since she didn't get to Wano in all these years) caues if she was on an island that will sink in 1 year and she travels 2 years in the future she will die. If she somehow can see into the future, or just glimpses, she could very well be a key figure in all what is going on. I mean if she saw that many would've died if Oden went face-on with Kaido from the start and told Oden about that, it would support his decision to play a fool for 5 years in hopes things will change.

Time travel and OP is such a bad fit.

The whole thing just feels wonky

If Toki knows about Shirley prediction and the birth of the 2 kings, she could deduce the 20 years from that

The deal between Oden and Kaidou I assume was : No citizens killed, some ships to open the borders. I'm not sure there is more than that

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    If Toki knows about Shirley prediction and the birth of the 2 kings, she could deduce the 20 years from that
    There must be an explanation for why she choose 20 years. I mean Wano could've been a total wasteland in 20 if Kaido moved faster then he did. She somehow had to know the SH will arrive there together with Inu and Neko and she must've known that the others (Kawamatsu, Tengu, etc) didn't die. Otherwise, she could've sent them back when Ace returned to Wano to bring Whitebeard there and KO Kaido and Orochi with no sweat.

Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    There's a stabbing, then next panel we see King's silhouette and blood dripping from his sword. Not a big mystery that one.
    I thought so too, but the hand doing the stabbing doesn't have King's black leather suit. Intended, or blunder ?
    Then again, that hand could be any other goon from Kaido's army (though many of them also have black gloves).
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    Guys what if the world is actually two straw hat planets fused together, with the Red Line being the hats' rims?

I guess to the left, next to the stabbing is the Silhouette of the one who stabbed, which is imo the traitor, too. He/She wears a bracelet.

I don't think it is the traitor. Oden was defeated, the other retainers were being subdued, why would the traitor do such a risky move as attacking Ashura in the open just to the next minute go back and pretend to be on their side again?

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    i think a lot of people were surprised to see that Kaidou was a strategist whereas most of suppose he was more of the 'let think after' kind of guy
    That and we thougth he was strong enough to make Orden think it was better to negotiate than to fight... But I feel by now Oden is not the believable character he was in the previos chap...

I took that as shuten maru and kinemon sensing that oden has fallen so they got distracted allowing enemy to hit shuten maru from behind. it's not king's hand, so maybe random underling hit from behind to weaken the scabbard while king finished him.

Quote Originally Posted by uniaka ikuzakas View Post
    I took that as shuten maru and kinemon sensing that oden has fallen so they got distracted allowing enemy to hit shuten maru from behind. it's not king's hand, so maybe random underling hit from behind to weaken the scabbard while king finished him.
    Giving it's such a small panel, I think that is the way Oda wanted us to take it.

I also had a hard time understanding what exactly did Oda mean with Ashura's stabbing. I like the idea that ir was the traitor, but are we sure there is one? Kaidou talked of a spy, and it could be the old Kurozomi lady, like someone said.

If there is one, I believe the traitor would be a Squardo situation. Convinced to betray Oden through lies and will turn around when Shinobu tells everyone of what he did. Like, what if Orochi told O-Kiki that Oden left Inu to rot as a prisioner at sea. When Inu comes in the present Kiku repents and rejoins the scabbards

Also, didn't understand the panel where snow starts to fall in the Flower capital. Can someone help me with that? It was just to show the passage of time?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information