+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tokyo Revengers

Default Tokyo Revengers

I don't know if Furio (delinquents) mangas are popular in this forum but I am personally quite found of them.
    And this one in particular. It is drawn by Ken Wakui the author of Shinjuku Swan or Sekisei Inko and published in the Shounen Magazine.

The story takes the genre into fantastic ground since the hero time travels to the past in order to try to save his first love. The story is really great (lot's of manly tears) and I am very found of Wakui art style.

https://mangadex.org/title/22529/tok...gers/chapters/
    The scanlation status is a bit complicate since some official chapters have been ripped of (please prefer the official release if you have access to it) but the last raw chapters have been translated this week so for those who wants to binge read the serie, it is the perfect time.
    I myself am not up to date yet

PS: No swastiska talk please, this is not the object of the thread

Default Re: Tokyo Revengers

Yeah I binge this a while back, is a reaaaaly good read. Creative use of time travel, good use of tropes of brothers in arms.
    Also Kisaki is a bastard.

yeah it's really great. I also like Nanba MG5, it's more shonen but still very fun to read

I enjoy delinquent stuff, but infrequently. Crows/worst was good. I actually loved Kyou Kara Ore Wa for some reason. Mostly it seems hit or miss. I'll definitely give it a shot - sort of curious what makes me enjoy one of these and not others.

(Shame about the swastika thing)

To be fair to the fact the the swastika is a religious symbol 5000 years old, spread in many of the euro-asians cultures, it's only a bad one if it's tilted 45 left.

Sure, we all know that by now, but it's tainted by association nonetheless.

Man the last few chapters have been a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    Man the last few chapters have been a blast.
    Yes appart from the Angry being strong when he cried, the battle has been great so far
    And 169 has a big twist :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    Yes appart from the Angry being strong when he cried, the battle has been great so far
    And 169 has a big twist :-)
    Saw the french scans, waiting for the chapter to drop.

i wonder if there is another time jumper. It doesn't seem like Kisaki does

It has to be Kisaki, there's the "hero" reference he did in the future and them in the past to Takemichi, and how it always ended with Kisaki ordering the hit.

Spoiler:
    Are we reaching the end of the dockyard fight? Reaching the 5 chapters to end announcement?

Sorry for bumping this thread but since this series really is getting big here in Japan lately I figured I'd give it a try and BOY is it worth a read. Got hooked from the very first chapter and don't remember the last manga that I just couldn't stop reading with the old "just one more chapter" only for several hours to pass and me still reading this. There's quite a great cast of characters. While the protagonists is not my favorite I have to say he's just badass in a completely different way from what the usual badass characters are. He's weak and kinda pathetic in the beginning and it really takes a long time for him to become the badass that he is, where even I as a reader go "dude, enough is enough, how far are you willing to go?" only to get a reaction out of him that hits me like a sledgehammer. I really really recommend people to check this out.

Quote Originally Posted by fdsfgfs View Post
    Sure, we all know that by now, but it's tainted by association nonetheless.
    Thing is though it's totally normal symbol here in Japan. Like it's literally used on maps to mark temples and shrines iirc (has been a while since I consultet a map that is not Google Maps^^'). I get that the tainted association is there for people in the west. Heck I've been born and raised in Germany so imagine my first shock seeing that. But then I also grew to understand that a) it's a Manji and not a Swastika and b) this thing has a completely different connotation here in Japan which doesn't connect to the one we have in the west at all. So condeming this series because of this is not unfair only to the series but pretty much also to the cultural background here.

Please don't think I'm putting heavy emphasis on talking only to you here. I mainly quoted you because I think that many people in the west don't give the series a chance because of exactly the Manji. I'm quite sure that this is the reason why there's not much traffic in this thread to begin with. Heck, truth be told I did for a while but then literally all my fans here in Japan that are into manga just told me how awesome the series was and giving it a shot is how I got into it. I really would have missed out if I had continued my stance. So I'm pretty much trying to explain that I know where people come from and that it's still ok to give this series a go. There's nothing that will make you feel like ou're sympasizing with the scum of the earth's idiology if you read this series.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivotas View Post
    Sorry for bumping this thread but since this series really is getting big here in Japan lately I figured I'd give it a try and BOY is it worth a read. Got hooked from the very first chapter and don't remember the last manga that I just couldn't stop reading with the old "just one more chapter" only for several hours to pass and me still reading this. There's quite a great cast of characters. While the protagonists is not my favorite I have to say he's just badass in a completely different way from what the usual badass characters are. He's weak and kinda pathetic in the beginning and it really takes a long time for him to become the badass that he is, where even I as a reader go "dude, enough is enough, how far are you willing to go?" only to get a reaction out of him that hits me like a sledgehammer. I really really recommend people to check this out.

Thing is though it's totally normal symbol here in Japan. Like it's literally used on maps to mark temples and shrines iirc (has been a while since I consultet a map that is not Google Maps^^'). I get that the tainted association is there for people in the west. Heck I've been born and raised in Germany so imagine my first shock seeing that. But then I also grew to understand that a) it's a Manji and not a Swastika and b) this thing has a completely different connotation here in Japan which doesn't connect to the one we have in the west at all. So condeming this series because of this is not unfair only to the series but pretty much also to the cultural background here.

Please don't think I'm putting heavy emphasis on talking only to you here. I mainly quoted you because I think that many people in the west don't give the series a chance because of exactly the Manji. I'm quite sure that this is the reason why there's not much traffic in this thread to begin with. Heck, truth be told I did for a while but then literally all my fans here in Japan that are into manga just told me how awesome the series was and giving it a shot is how I got into it. I really would have missed out if I had continued my stance. So I'm pretty much trying to explain that I know where people come from and that it's still ok to give this series a go. There's nothing that will make you feel like ou're sympasizing with the scum of the earth's idiology if you read this series.
    No, I understand, I just think it's a barrier to more widespread adoption.

I read a bunch of this up until recently, when I figured it was more or less over, or at least moving into a new era, and instead the same plotline seemed to start all. over. again. I'll probably give it another catch up in a few months to see where it goes.

Any idea if the anime is good?

More problematic is the indirect glamorization of Bosozuko that were a ultra nationalistic criminal groups even if the author tries to make Takemichi reprove the actions of Kazaki and future Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by fdsfgfs View Post
    No, I understand, I just think it's a barrier to more widespread adoption.

I read a bunch of this up until recently, when I figured it was more or less over, or at least moving into a new era, and instead the same plotline seemed to start all. over. again. I'll probably give it another catch up in a few months to see where it goes.

I definitely agree that this is one reason for the failure of a widespread adaption.

I can relate to the feeling of it sounding like it's an all over again and while I agree that everything could have ended here somehow, when Kisaki got finaly defeated in the past it just didn't feel like the real end. The return to the present felt kinda epilouge-ish but the end of the final battle in the past and all the goodbye's just were lacking something. I don't know what but it just felt like this isn't the end so I'm ok with the thing which is now even announced by the author to be the final arc.

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    Any idea if the anime is good?
    Haven't seen the anime yet but it definitely is one of the reasons why it got more popular here.

More problematic is the indirect glamorization of Bosozuko that were a ultra nationalistic criminal groups even if the author tries to make Takemichi reprove the actions of Kazaki and future Mike.
    I was worried about this also but luckily there was the part (please don't ask me where exactly as I've just read the entire series in less than a week) where I think it was Draken (might be mistaken) was saying something along the lines of this entire delinquent groups being teenegers in their rebellious years. I'm very much paraphrasing here but that was the general gist of it. Plus I take it as a clear statement against this seeing that if you stick with such groups as an adult you end up doing criminal stuff while when you completely get out of it you live regular lives as adults and try to achieve your life goals each.

Of course I might be mistaken here but reading those parts it does come across that while the author definitely is signaling that there's also some "cool" aspects about those gangs, it definitely comes across at leading to nothing but ruin in the end. I mean if we're making that argument that he's glamorizing this then we might just aswell say that Oda is glamorizing piracy, which we all know is not the case.

On a completely different note, can anybody here clear up one part that I didn't really understand? Gonna put it in spoilers because it really is heave "endgame" spoilers...

Spoiler:
    Moments before Kisaki kicks the bucket he confirms that he's not a time leaper. How can he then know that he constantly get's rejected by Hina in the future?
    Last edited by Ivotas; August 27th, 2021 at 11:29 AM.

I was worried about this also but luckily there was the part (please don't ask me where exactly as I've just read the entire series in less than a week) where I think it was Draken (might be mistaken) was saying something along the lines of this entire delinquent groups being teenegers in their rebellious years. I'm very much paraphrasing here but that was the general gist of it. Plus I take it as a clear statement against this seeing that if you stick with such groups as an adult you end up doing criminal stuff while when you completely get out of it you live regular lives as adults and try to achieve your life goals each.
    I take more like this, there a few bad individuals such as Kisaki and the current group and Boten, but the original Black Dragons and Tokyo Manji pass more of the idea of banchous.
    I'm just saying this because something I saw on twitter yesterday, apparently the same edgy right wing otaku crowd that glorify SnK is globing up Tokyo Revengers here.

I take more like this, there a few bad individuals such as Kisaki and the current group and Boten, but the original Black Dragons and Tokyo Manji pass more of the idea of banchous.
    I'm just saying this because something I saw on twitter yesterday, apparently the same edgy right wing otaku crowd that glorify SnK is globing up Tokyo Revengers here.
    That's interesting. I see it exactly the opposite because while the huge crowd of unnamed followers doesn't strike me to have that strong ideals and is easy to sway if they are impressed by someone stronger. There's plenty of cases where the unnamed ones fight or want to see ights just for violences sake and not because they are following a strong moral code. This is pretty much the protagonists do.

The second part of your statement I agree with. Such a thing is definitelfy problematic but then again I woul say will find problematic crowds that support something for the wrong reasons. That's pretty much why I'm not a big fan of closed groups that on he surface share the same love for something. I do like talking and exchanging views with people that share the same interests as me. But at the same time I'm also very careful to not get too deep into such groups. So yeah, problematic but would agrue that it's not limited to this series.

Sorry for the double post but since this is about the most recent chapter I figured a new post matching the timestamp is better.^^' Anyways, even if it's been out for a week I'll keep it in spoilers as something big happened...

Spoiler:
    To cut to the chase, they really went and killed Draken. Now I'm torn between two things I think that will happen. On the one hand I just don't see Draken stay long for good which means that they will find a way to undo his death. But for that there wouldn't need to be another timetravel involved and we said this was the final one so it would kinda feel cheap to do that. On the other hand I want him to stay dead (even though he's my favorite character) because undoing a death that actually took place in the past opens up the door for undoing Emmas and Bajis deaths too. I know that Takemichi promised that he's gonna save them too but I see a big danger of this falling into the trap that so many other mangas have fallen after reviving people to a degree where the gravity of death lost any meaning. I know that's rich comming from a manga who's sole point is to stop a death from happening but so far that always followed the promise of going to the past to undo a death in the present. I don't know how I would feel about undoing deaths in the past timeline now.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information