+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TemTem- A Pokemon-Like MMO

Default TemTem- A Pokemon-Like MMO

Been seeing looots of videos popping up about a game in closed alpha right now called TemTem, which releases into general Alpha next week.

76 critters currently (and plans to get it to at least 160) , MMO, 100% multiplayer including the story bits, every battle is 2 on 2, moves use stamina so you can't just keep spamming your strongest attack, things have bigger health bars so you aren't just one shotting everything, actual difficulty, decent graphics... looks really promising.

PC Alpha next week, consoles... eventually.

It's a blatant, BLATANT pokemon knock off, but it looks promising.

Last edited by Robby; January 16th, 2020 at 11:35 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Default Re: TemTem- A Pokemon-Like MMO

I believe it will be on all major consoles as well. I'm hoping it turns out to be pretty good.

MALKIOR THE DESTROYER KaizokuJinbei's Avatar

I'm intrigued by it but still unsure if I want to play or not.
    PSN: Ryuunaga, Nintendo Switch Friend ID: SW-1971-9767-4001, Steam: Malkior7, 3DS FC: 4167-5777-1464

After watching all of those vids, I think I can commit and say I'll definitely give it a buy. I'm going to support it because it looks fun and also I think Pokemon needs good competition so we can get something that I think is as high quality as HeartGold and Soul Silver, or the Gen V games.

Wait, people have been talking about it for ages and the alpha is not even out? I thought it was a (mobile) game released long ago.

That said, it really looks good, doesn't it!? Hm... now I'm surprised.

And is that 50shadesofheliolisk's water platypus fakemon I see there? Good! If a fakemon deserved to become a real design somewhere, it was that one.

How many pokemon type games are there now?

Pokemon, Digimon, Yugioh, Monster rancher, Yokai watch, Spectrobes,

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post

No one remembers Monster Racers except me I guess.

Nino Kuni (the first one anyway) had a major monster collecting bent to it.

Persona and SHin Megami series in general.

And I'd argue that monster Rancher isn't like Pokemon much at all. Yeah its a world with a lot of critters in it, and in the US at least it was certainly picked up to try and cash in on Pokemon's success, but the show is just a straight up adventure show, and the game wasn't even close to being about collecting and trying everything or making teams or elemental types or light rpg elements or exploring the world or any of that... it was about getting one single monster and feedng it and making it do excercises then taking it to tournaments with poor combat controls. The last game in the series had a little more team building and RPG aspect, but unless you were actively trying to use everything the game mostly encouraged you to pick one or two monsters only and just raise them and their kids endlessly to keep breeding the stats forward. It had a lot more in common with Nintendogs than Pokemon.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post

Nino Kuni (the first one anyway) had a major monster collecting bent to it.

Persona and SHin Megami series in general.

And I'd argue that monster Rancher isn't like Pokemon much at all. Yeah its a world with a lot of critters in it, and in the US at least it was certainly picked up to try and cash in on Pokemon's success, but the show is just a straight up adventure show, and the game wasn't even close to being about collecting and trying everything or making teams or elemental types or light rpg elements or exploring the world or any of that... it was about getting one single monster and feedng it and making it do excercises then taking it to tournaments with poor combat controls. The last game in the series had a little more team building and RPG aspect, but unless you were actively trying to use everything the game mostly encouraged you to pick one or two monsters only and just raise them and their kids endlessly to keep breeding the stats forward. It had a lot more in common with Nintendogs than Pokemon.
    Sorry never heard of monster racers

I didn't know you could collect different persona's in the persona series, I thought each person had one

And I never actually played a monster rancher game, I just watched the anime when I was younger, I remember I used to love it but then again that was when I was in elementary school

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    We are out there buddy, Monster rancher 2 on the ps1 is still the best monster raising game ever created
    edit: oh monster racers, the hell is monster racers

Quote Originally Posted by Jawad5 View Post
    We are out there buddy, Monster rancher 2 on the ps1 is still the best monster raising game ever created
    edit: oh monster racers, the hell is monster racers
    It was pokemon, except instead of battles you had 2D sidescrolling races. You could color customize monsters however you wanted. Shinies had a roughly 1 in 30 chance. They didn't have *elemental* advantages but they did have terrain advantages.... and eventually you could breed one to be good in like 3 out of 5 terrains but the breeding was very rng between the parents so it was tedious.

It was on the DS, made by Koei, the Dynasty Warriors guys.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

I didn't know you could collect different persona's in the persona series, I thought each person had one
    Each person has a default one, but you collect a ton more along the way. They're all based on mythological creatures and gods, so eventually you get stuff like Thor and Cerberus and Lucifer on your team, along with a whole bunch from other cultures you've probably never heard of.

You forgot Fossil Fighters, then again it seems everyone else has well.

How did Dragon Quest Monsters get forgotten?

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    How did Dragon Quest Monsters get forgotten?
    Because that owes its DNA to Dragon Quest, not pokemon? Monster catching has been in the franchise as a gameplay mechanic since 5, back in 1992, so it predates Pokemon by several years, not to mention all the monsters predating it even further.

They may have taken a couple cues from Pokemon but they didn't build a franchise from scratch to try and cash in.

Now, Builders being a minecraft cash in is a different matter.

No mention of Jade Cocoon yet?
    It's still my favourite Pokemon-like game. It had unique creatures that grew in size and were fusable, an alright story, voice acting and a nice soundtrack.
    It's too bad there haven't been more games after the sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by Neaeran View Post
    No mention of Jade Cocoon yet?
    It's still my favourite Pokemon-like game. It had unique creatures that grew in size and were fusable, an alright story, voice acting and a nice soundtrack.
    It's too bad there haven't been more games after the sequel.
    For a more detailed look...

Went ahead and purchased Temtem, though I'll be waiting a couple of weeks to play since I got so much on my plate. It's fairly expensive ($35) so I hope it delivers, but given what I've seen and heard so far I'm definitely ok with supporting this game.

Also cool to see that Jade Cocoon is something other people played. It was one of my unfinished RPG games of the PS1 era along with Guardian's Crusade, which also had loose pokemon appeal in that you found living toys and used them to battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Noqanky View Post
    Went ahead and purchased Temtem, though I'll be waiting a couple of weeks to play since I got so much on my plate. It's fairly expensive ($35) so I hope it delivers, but given what I've seen and heard so far I'm definitely ok with supporting this game.

Also cool to see that Jade Cocoon is something other people played. It was one of my unfinished RPG games of the PS1 era along with Guardian's Crusade, which also had loose pokemon appeal in that you found living toys and used them to battle.
    Oh man, I had *forgotten* Guardian's Crusade. The moment I read that name, I had this vivid image of exactly what the box-art looked like -- blocky knight, little pig-thing, pillar of light in the background -- and sure enough, Google confirmed. What a weird memory to have had buried and dredged up. Other than the art, don't think I remember anything about it beyond, as you say, that it was quite fun at the time.

Woah, a Panda sighting! How you been man? Haven't really seen you around here in ages! (Though I see you've posted a little in the literature thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Noqanky View Post
    Following up, I started the game and I'm actually disappointed so far.

The promise is there, and for the first 30min-1 hour I was having a blast. It's really cool to have to figure out typing mechanics and seeing completely new creatures for the first time in a looong time. There's also a lot of cool ideas in here.

But, after that 1 hour the game started getting really, really dry. The cost of items feels poorly balanced, battles are super long and favor the CPU by virtue of them not having to fight several fights in a row before having a chance to heal (or get items), and the variety of creatures is stupidly low in early game. Fucking everything is wind type.

I'm curious if anyone else has played this, and if other people have thoughts about this. So far it feels like the hype reviews don't hold up to what I'm experiencing, though I wonder if it's just early game pains from a game balanced around late game gameplay. Either way, it feels flawed.

Already better than Pokemon my ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information