+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 92nd Academy Awards, 2020

Default 92nd Academy Awards, 2020

The full list of Oscar nominees has been released.

https://www.oscars.org/oscars/ceremonies/2020

The ceremony will be held a little earlier this year on February 9th and, again, with no host. Discuss.

Best Picture: Of the nine films, I've only seen four of them. Personally, I think Parasite may be the best film I saw this year, but I know it'll never win. Marriage Story was also really good, so I guess that would be my second choice and it actually has a chance of winning. Of course, as a Tarantino fan, I wouldn't complain if they finally decided to give him an Oscar for OUaTiH (although I don't think it was one of his stronger films). But there's also a good chance they'll give it to The Irishman, which was good, but I honestly don't think it deserves it.

Best Animated Film: Huh. Not a lot of strong contenders here. I guess my vote will go to Toy Story 4 and I'm sure that's the one that will win (though Klaus was good too). Actually, I'm a little surprised Frozen II didn't make the list. Not that I like it, it's just...it's Frozen, y'know.

Best International Film: Of course it's going to be Parasite. Dur.

Best Visual Effects: If this goes to The Lion King, I swear to god...
    Last edited by Nobodyman; January 15th, 2020 at 08:51 AM.

Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar

Default Re: 92nd Academy Awards, 2020

Klaus got nominated fk yeah. Better than any other animated movie this year. At least of those nominated.
    To support Viz and SHUEISHAs MANGA Plus service hosting all Jump manga for FREE, WORLDWIDE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version.

So joker got most noms, 11?

Joker got nominations for things it didn't even stood out imo.

So, quick thoughts on these Academy Award nominations:

* Lupita Nyong'o was robbed of Best Actress for her duel roles in Us. I know I should have seen this coming, considering the Academy had snubbed Toni Collette last year for her phenomenal performance in Hereditary due to genre bias, but this still REALLY fucking stings.

* Also, Awkwafina should have got a Best Actress spot for The Farewell.

* Jennifer Lopez should have gotten a Supporting Actress nod for her performance in Hustlers.

* While I liked Florence Pugh in Little Women, this is probably the case of "right actor, wrong movie" as she was WAY better in Midsommar, but again, genre bias means the Academy went with the safer performance instead.

* I never thought I would say this, considering I'm not a fan of his comedy work at all, but I REALLY wanted Adam Sandler to have gotten a Best Actor nod for Uncut Gems just for wanting to see the unlikely possibility of him winning over Phoenix and watching the Internet implode into an avalanche of salt.

* Speaking of which, Uncut Gems being snubbed entirely is absolutely shocking.

* Knives Out only getting one nomination is absolutely criminal. Really? Nothing for Best Picture? Best Director in Rian Johnson? Daniel Craig for Best Actor? Ana De Armas for Best Actress? REALLY?!?

* It's really odd that both Jojo Rabbit and Little Women are both up for Best Picture and yet they both aren't nominated for Best Director.

* And speaking of Best Director, not a single female director in the Best Director spot is absolutely baffling. The Academy is SERIOUSLY going to tell me that Greta Gerwig (Little Women), Lorene Scafaria (Hustlers), Marielle Heller (A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood), Joanna Hogg (The Souvenir), Céline Sciamma (Portrait of a Lady on Fire) and Lulu Wang (The Farewell) were NOT good enough to get a Best Director nomination...and yet Todd fucking Phillips gets a Best Director nod?!?

* Joker being nominated for anything other than Actor, Cinematography and Score, let alone FUCKING 11 NOMINATIONS is an absolute fucking disgrace.

That having been said, I am pleasantly surprised to see both Klaus and The Missing Link getting Best Animated Feature nods, so there's that at least.

I would really love to see either of those 2 win as Klaus was absolutely wonderful and breathtaking, but on the other hand, Laika are one of the most underrated animation studios who are WAY overdue for an Oscar ever since they lost out on both Paranorman and Kubo and the Two Strings all those years ago.

It's interesting really, since most mainstream kids movies are all 3D CGI films, these 2 films are both made by 2 studios keeping old forms of animation alive (2D animation for Klaus, stop motion animation for Missing Link) that I'm really torn up about who should win between these 2 wonderful films...

...inb4 Toy Story 4 ends up being the winner.

Last edited by TrowaAyanami; January 13th, 2020 at 11:30 AM.
    NNID: TrowaAyanami
    3DS: 2964-8696-4030

I'd like HTTYD get the Best Animated after it lost its last two times, but its not the strongest movie in the trilogy and its clearly going to go to Toy Story... again.

I mean, Pixar has won 9 out of 13 times they've been up. Dreamworks has won once, with the original Shrek.

I'm surprised they didn't throw out more token nominations for Avengers though after it broke the records. Just for visual effects, really? I understand not throwing it up for Best Picture, but you couldn't throw it some sound or production awards or something for Downey? They're really going all in on Joker instead?

Music miiiight just go to John Williams. It's not his best Star Wars soundtrack, and he's won it five times (including for Star Wars), and been nominated basically every year he's been eligible for 53 years (sometimes twice) but the man is 87 and hasn't gotten one in almost three decades for Schindler's List, and E.T. ten years before that. Not even for Harry Potter or Indiana Jones
    Last edited by Robby; January 13th, 2020 at 11:49 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by TrowaAyanami View Post

* I never thought I would say this, considering I'm not a fan of his comedy work at all, but I REALLY wanted Adam Sandler to have gotten a Best Actor nod for Uncut Gems just for wanting to see the unlikely possibility of him winning over Phoenix and watching the Internet implode into an avalanche of salt.

Can still happen especially if the movie gets shut out. We can at least assume it's losing Best Picture given Bradley Cooper is listed as one of the producers

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Frozen probably got left out by splitting the ballot between it, Toy Story 4, and (presumably) The Lion King but it worked out really well for things like Klaus, Missing Link, and I Lost My Body.
    Complicating things since 2009.

I really hope Joaquin Phoenix wins. He's one of my favorite actors ever and has been really good for so long. He was just as good in The Master, Walk the Line, and a bunch of other films. There had been so much fervor over Leo not winning, but Phoenix is the most deserving actor alive not to have one, imo. That's especially so now that Gary Oldman finally won.

* And speaking of Best Director, not a single female director in the Best Director spot is absolutely baffling. The Academy is SERIOUSLY going to tell me that Greta Gerwig (Little Women), Lorene Scafaria (Hustlers), Marielle Heller (A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood), Joanna Hogg (The Souvenir), Céline Sciamma (Portrait of a Lady on Fire) and Lulu Wang (The Farewell) were NOT good enough to get a Best Director nomination...and yet Todd fucking Phillips gets a Best Director nod?!?

What makes it burn is that Little Women got so many other nominations, including fucking Best Picture, but nope, can't give the lady a Best Director nod.

Also rather ironic considering it's Little Women.

Music miiiight just go to John Williams. It's not his best Star Wars soundtrack, and he's won it five times (including for Star Wars), and been nominated basically every year he's been eligible for 53 years (sometimes twice) but the man is 87 and hasn't gotten one in almost three decades for Schindler's List, and E.T. ten years before that. Not even for Harry Potter or Indiana Jones
    I hope not. If you already won five time you don't need the official award anymore. You have already been honoured more than most legends will ever be. If you absolutely want to give him one make an honorary one. Those life achievement things.

Knives Out should’ve gotten the token “mass appeal/lighter fare” award instead of Ford vs. Ferrari.

(Remember when it was extremely normal for Oscar darlings to also be box office hits?)

Can’t tell if sarcasm or truth.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting

So, quick thoughts on these Academy Award nominations:

* Lupita Nyong'o was robbed of Best Actress for her duel roles in Us. I know I should have seen this coming, considering the Academy had snubbed Toni Collette last year for her phenomenal performance in Hereditary due to genre bias, but this still REALLY fucking stings.

* Also, Awkwafina should have got a Best Actress spot for The Farewell.

* Jennifer Lopez should have gotten a Supporting Actress nod for her performance in Hustlers.

* While I liked Florence Pugh in Little Women, this is probably the case of "right actor, wrong movie" as she was WAY better in Midsommar, but again, genre bias means the Academy went with the safer performance instead.

* Speaking of which, Uncut Gems being snubbed entirely is absolutely shocking.

* Knives Out only getting one nomination is absolutely criminal. Really? Nothing for Best Picture? Best Director in Rian Johnson? Daniel Craig for Best Actor? Ana De Armas for Best Actress? REALLY?!?

* It's really odd that both Jojo Rabbit and Little Women are both up for Best Picture and yet they both aren't nominated for Best Director.

* Joker being nominated for anything other than Actor, Cinematography and Score, let alone FUCKING 11 NOMINATIONS is an absolute fucking disgrace.

That having been said, I am pleasantly surprised to see both Klaus and The Missing Link getting Best Animated Feature nods, so there's that at least.

I would really love to see either of those 2 win as Klaus was absolutely wonderful and breathtaking, but on the other hand, Laika are one of the most underrated animation studios who are WAY overdue for an Oscar ever since they lost out on both Paranorman and Kubo and the Two Strings all those years ago.

It's interesting really, since most mainstream kids movies are all 3D CGI films, these 2 films are both made by 2 studios keeping old forms of animation alive (2D animation for Klaus, stop motion animation for Missing Link) that I'm really torn up about who should win between these 2 wonderful films...

...inb4 Toy Story 4 ends up being the winner.

- Agreed, she was really great in Us, and while it was a completely different film and topic Peele covered compared to Get Out, Hollywood mostly goes through trends, and the black rights movie had its height with Get Out.

-Did not help that her performance in Farewell was really low-key, which rarely gets appreciated.

- Hustlers was a so-so movie and nothing stood particularly out except Lopez pole dancing.

- Midsommar would have been a leading actress nom, so they probably combined and gave her supporting.

- If it´s as great as i ahve heard, may be, have not seen it yet.

- Knives Out was a somewhat creative murder mystery that would never get this kind of attention without such a main cast. Plus it did not help that the twist was pretty obvious. So you have Craig´s over the top acting and the hilarious fights of the family.

- Best Picture has more slots

- I am not keen on gender arguments but yeah, in this case the bias is pretty obvious. Joker lived and died with Phoenix ´ performance, otherwise it was at best a good movie.

My own opinion:

- I have seen 7 out of the 9 best picture noms, and out of those, Parasite really stands out, but the chances are close to zero.

- Phoenix for best actor, Hopkins or Pesci for supporting, best actress can´t say much, but out of the two i have seen, definitely Ronan, supporting Johansson

- 1917 is probably set to win cinematography, unless Lighthouse surprises, and Deaking really deserves it, the eternal loser of Hollywood.

- Director Bong Joon Ho

Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post

- 1917 is probably set to win cinematography, unless Lighthouse surprises, and Deaking really deserves it, the eternal loser of Hollywood.
    Very true, although he at least finally got one for Blade Runner 2049 2 years ago.
    To support Viz and SHUEISHAs MANGA Plus service hosting all Jump manga for FREE, WORLDWIDE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version.

Quote Originally Posted by MajinArekkusu View Post
    Very true, although he at least finally got one for Blade Runner 2049 2 years ago.
    Oh didnt know that, finally then.
    His filmography and body of work is ludicrous.
    Crazy that Dunkirk and Hoytema did not win though.

I know he hasn't made any movies this year. But for next year, just give PTA his damn award. He's by far the best director out there

I saw a meme somewhere that said the Muppets should host the Oscars. And you know what? They totally should.

Why not we know it'll get better ratings than the last Muppet show did

We'll we know who will win best editing at least

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information