+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 967: Roger's Adventure

Last edited by Shift; January 6th, 2020 at 06:06 PM.

Default Re: Chapter 966: Roger's Adventure

What a chapter..!

The translation is so much clearer.

Discovered Stowaway killerbee1000's Avatar

What an amazing chapter. I just had to smile at that panel of Roger laughing.

The Mad Moiselle BellisarioFaith's Avatar

Default Re: Chapter 967: Roger's Adventure

I appreciate the much better translation, lulz. There were lots of really...not-right stuff in the spoiler versions.

Did we already know that Roger's crew liked to sing "Binks's Sake" too? We knew Shanks and his crew did, so it makes sense that it was thanks to being on Roger's crew, just can't remember if that was already common knowledge or not. Either way, that's fun.

Lulz, "Genghis Baan". Since the VIZ version does translate the names of the Minks, I guess that one works fairly well.

It's interesting that factories were already springing up at the time Oden briefly came back to Wano. I thought Kin'emon's explanation in Act 1 of the 20-year time jump kind of made it sound like the factories were a new thing that appeared during that timeskip, but while I'm sure there were many more afterwards and that was when the pollution got bad, looks like Orochi was already starting to drive things to shit even before that, including the factories.

Loved those panels of Roger and his whole crew laughing. More excited than ever to find out the truth of what the One Piece is and what's on that final island.

At this point, my guess is that, even though Roger and his crew intended the island to be called "Laugh Tale", the World Gov purposely permuted it to "Raftel" because they were afraid that Roger's name for it would give away more than they wanted it to. Seems a little flimsy--"Laugh Tale" doesn't really tell you much without context--but the WG is paranoid enough that you can probably still make it work, and it would be a nice explanation, in-universe and out, for why everyone's known it as "Raftel" all this time. Though maybe that would only be in the English translation; I dunno if the original Japanese version just had it read the same way all along, even if the readers themselves may not have known.
    Hidden:

Cutty Flam. My old friend....

The Laugh Tale hype can hardly get any bigger, but Oda's continual refusal to not tell us about Scopper has my mind racing. Great chapter!

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Cutty Flam. My old friend....
    I still wonder who his parents are? The possibilities are pretty limitless, and though I don't think it'll be Big Mom, it isn't out of the realm of possibilities.

Unless it becomes a huge factor in future events, Franky´s pirate parents are as relevant as Nami´s biological parents

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    Unless it becomes a huge factor in future events, Franky´s pirate parents are as relevant as Nami´s biological parents
    Or as relevant as Sanji's pre-Zeff parents? I would be fine if we never found out about them, but I'm sure Oda knows who they are. I think he keeps stuff like that open just in case he does want to use it.

Mangaplus continues to be a joke of a website, the last spread was cut in half for me

Not to mention the final page which was very awkward with part of Roger hat lol

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    Or as relevant as Sanji's pre-Zeff parents? I would be fine if we never found out about them, but I'm sure Oda knows who they are. I think he keeps stuff like that open just in case he does want to use it.
    Who became a huge factor in the story...

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by mrsword View Post
    Mangaplus continues to be a joke of a website, the last spread was cut in half for me

https://i.imgur.com/obOCh6i.jpg
    That´s just you, works both horizontally and vertically

That´s just you, works both horizontally and vertically
    Yes apparently this bug happens when you switch from vertical to horizontal, you have to refresh the page for it to work.

I kept the comments I had for the chapter for when the official (proper) translation came out... but that was over a week ago and I forgot most of it.

Anyways...

- This flashback REALLY made me like Roger. Before I kinda liked him by association (whenever he appeared it meant Buggy would get at least a cameo), but right now I love his character. A lot of people mentioned how much he sounds like Luffy, but to me he sounds more like a mid-term between Luffy and Teach. It's like the three of them come from the same original build, but while Luffy is that made into a good guy and Teach is that made into a villain, Roger is the middle ground.

- Wtf? Is that Tequila Wolf? Isn't it in East Blue? Or there are multiple bridges being build (maybe the other end of Tequila Wolf's bridge)?

- You know, I don't get some things. We can see in this chapter Roger got the title of Pirate King before he went to Laugh Tale... so what exactly gave him the title? Also, since Lodestar was believed to be the final island, why people didn't consider he conquered the Grand Line (and started calling him Pirate King) when he got there 14 years before?

Quote Originally Posted by mrsword View Post

Not to mention the final page which was very awkward with part of Roger hat lol

https://i.imgur.com/obOCh6i.jpg
    It was like that when I first opened it, but then looked fine when I reloaded. Thought it was something they fixed but apparently not?

Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    It was like that when I first opened it, but then looked fine when I reloaded. Thought it was something they fixed but apparently not?
    It's very inconsistent.. probably the way the site loads the images.

Good translation, bad experience.

I hate to admit, but this time I was glad I went to read the shitty translation first. Despite all the mistakes it had, the Roger scene was conveyed just fine (and like I commented on the spoiler thread, I think the panel with him laughing is probably the strongest in One Piece so far) and that was the main thing with the chapter. The official translation was great, but the website completely ruined the scene for me by mismatching the pages.

Were Sea Kings always called Neptunians?

In the official version, yes. Apparently the Japanese is literally Sea Kings but it was changed.

I thought neptunians were people of Neptune at first lol

Boy that felt good! Now I didn't count pages, but it's been a loooong time since a chapter felt that rich and crammed to the brim with details and winks to locations and people we previously met.
    It leaves a bittersweet taste, though, because with Roger's adventure complete I feel like we've taken a huuuuge step forward narratively speaking. Like we're turning the last page of a key chapter and suddenly a whole decade is coming to a close; One Piece has one less mystery to tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    Guys what if the world is actually two straw hat planets fused together, with the Red Line being the hats' rims?

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Were Sea Kings always called Neptunians?
    Yea that threw me off. I'm fine with the official translation, but stuff like that just bugs me.

That said, Genghis Baan is fantastic.

Who became a huge factor in the story...
    Which is my point. We didn't need info about Sanji's actual parents any more than we needed Franky's, or better yet, there wasn't a gaping hole in Sanji's characterization that needed fixing through meeting the Vinsmokes, any more than there is for Sanji. We learned the origin of a few trivial traits (like his skill with a sword), but actually found out that the majority of his meaningful character traits came from Zeff, including the ones that people don't like. Similarly, there aren't any character holes in Franky that need fixing, but there are trivial things that could be answered or certain traits (like pervertedness) that could be reinforced.

We don't know if anything is necessary unless Oda writes it, though, so you never know, but it's not that hard to imagine all the most important Whole Cake things happening without the Vinsmoke plot. It could have been Jinbe kidnapped in Luffy's place, or Nami captured to be married by some random parents.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information