+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 967: Roger's Adventure

Default Re: Chapter 967: Roger's Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    You would have no problem with "Bestiality Pirates"?
    That would just make me assume that he's banging them.

How about something more wholesome like animals A to Z the Kaido pirate crew

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    That would just make me assume that he's banging them.
    Yes, but Kaido was thinking he was being clever by shortening "Bestial Fatality".

No one tried to point out the Jack in the room.

Would explain why Jack looked so worried when Kaido showed up.

Atleast WB only makes you call him daddy.

Queen's got the Funk Roronoa Zacho's Avatar

Poseidon being born only once every few hundred years makes me think, if the last Poseidon had anything to do with the classification of fishmen from fish to people 200yrs ago.
    After all, FI only was twice at the Reverie: this one and a Reverie 200 yrs ago.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Scretch View Post
    I got the chills when I saw Roger laughing and asked myself the same question everyone asked themselves when they saw the panel: "Why the hell is he laughing?" Many speculations and theories on the way.
    My best guess is, that Roger laughs at the fact that we called Laugh Tale "Raftel" for decades. On a not-more-serious guess: Maybe it's a statue of JoyBoy teabagging the Gorousei/Im.
    actual sized Queen-GIF (alternative colours): https://media.giphy.com/media/SUEiLt...hgCz/giphy.gif
    My imagination of Moria's ol' crew: https://ibb.co/hEDSv8

Quote Originally Posted by YoungWhite View Post
    They're cringe.

For example, Zolo and Animal kingdom pirates are pretty much universally hated by the fandom. They just don't sound right. As if an edgy guy like Kaido would wake up one day and decide to name his crew something as lame as "the animal kingdom pirates".

They can get a pass for their spelling of poneglyph or even elbaf even though they completely take away the meanings of those names but it gets to a point where their name choices just sound stupid. Like, what in the world is a neptunian?
    Thank goodness you gave them a pass. Seriously....tired of the whiney children acting like they havent been using the official translation all these years because of a few translation choices.
    It's hilarious that all these nobodies with absolutely zero translation experience think they can tell someone like Stephen that he's wrong.

Some Korean official web-comics have the option of 'fan-translations' besides the official version. Maybe one day Viz will have that option.

Quote Originally Posted by thegab View Post
    Thank goodness you gave them a pass. Seriously....tired of the whiney children acting like they havent been using the official translation all these years because of a few translation choices.
    It's hilarious that all these nobodies with absolutely zero translation experience think they can tell someone like Stephen that he's wrong.
    To be fair you only need functioning ears to know that they ain't shouting Zolo in the anime.

Honestly, I was fine with Dogtooth Although, Katakuri is alright too. And makes more sense

How about something more wholesome like animals A to Z the Kaido pirate crew
    You triggered me some terrible Bleach flashbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    Honestly, I was fine with Dogtooth Although, Katakuri is alright too. And makes more sense
    Lord potato starch 4 life.

Anyone that isn't a food pun can just leave BM's island.

It's funny because she is the who names the sheer majority of them.

Probably the only reason Katakuri's name was not translated (or was not originally in english/french to begin with) is because there is no equivalent in those languages to it. "Dogtooth" is a flower similar to the katakuri flower, not the same. The katakuri plant (or the starch made from it) has no western name, so any attempt to translate it is just a loose aproximation rather than a proper translation.

Oden leaving Wano despite suspecting something is wrong make him a bit more interesting to me. His travels with pirate does make less of a perfect guy. He fails at some stuff, get knock around a bit and is a fish out of water. Also I took the factory in the background as more symbolic than real fact but I guess it can be both. Poor Kinemon does not have easy job trying to be the responsible face of such a absentee leader. I wonder if they told him his dad was dead.

Otahime as a protester is fun and I like Neptune running comentary. If the sea kings are neptunians in the offical translation I now decide that Neptune was named after them for his great strength. I wonder how you get the throne on Fhisman island. Was that Neptune's dad that died?

Name of the Duke is cool.

Ultimately I wasn't a big fan of the chapter. It felt like one of the let's make everything happen now and feel connected instead of letting it more open and a better paced. Stuff like the Rogers meeting Franky, asking about the princess date of birth or even tequilla wolf feels like random Roger touched on everything and we have to cram it in. I'm also not a fan of the feeling that the great adventure to find the road stones was just Roger running into a cheat code and just having to make a couple of pit stop to get them quick. Or how quick he inspired Pedro. It's those kind of things that annoys me that because you want it all in the page everything has to happen to quickly.

I did love the naration in those last couple of pages and how happy the crew looked when they finally made it. Probably would have went full double page spread with the crew celebrating. Probably Roger laughing up and the crew down.

Now Im curious how Oda wrap it up with that guy still in Whitebeard crew. Maybe he got married while he was there?

That Wano was run into the ground in Oden's name while he was dicking around doing whatever he felt like up to and including even explicitly leaving mid-crisis without a second thought does sort of add a layer of explanation for why Orochi had such an easy time selling his revolution as just. Saying that Oden doesn't care about Wano and only cares about his outsider friends is barely even an exaggeration

That Wano was run into the ground in Oden's name while he was dicking around doing whatever he felt like up to and including even explicitly leaving mid-crisis without a second thought does sort of add a layer of explanation for why Orochi had such an easy time selling his revolution as just. Saying that Oden doesn't care about Wano and only cares about his outsider friends is barely even an exaggeration
    I mean he did spent all his life trying to leave. But considering he was encouraged by his wife and Yasopp is an awesome I don't think we supposed to be too hard on him.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Also his reign as Shogun must have been really short. For all the good press Kinemon give him Oden had some pretty major lapses that regular folks should remember.

Quote Originally Posted by thegab View Post
    And I'm tired of viz shills acting like they're beyond criticism and everybody should be happy and accept their questionable choices just because they're official. The official translation has had several issues. Stephen and whoever else came up with these ridiculous names ARE wrong especially when they contradict the manga. They've admitted to being wrong and keeping errors because they value consistency more than accuracy.
    Last edited by YoungWhite; January 8th, 2020 at 11:39 AM.

I just realized that Oden actually spent like 2-3 years with most of his retainers. I mean at 18 he met Kinemon and formed his crew, at 20 or 21 he set out with Whitebread, and then he came back for a short stint before being boiled. Unless i'm missing something here he sure inspired a lot of loyalty for a guy who was never around.

I just realized that Oden actually spent like 2-3 years with most of his retainers. I mean at 18 he met Kinemon and formed his crew, at 20 or 21 he set out with Whitebread, and then he came back for a short stint before being boiled. Unless i'm missing something here he sure inspired a lot of loyalty for a guy who was never around.
    That's why it is so important that you instantly jizz your pants by looking at him.

I share the feeling but to be fair Ace had less than 3 years with Whitebeard and Luffy probably has 4-5 months with Shanks and probably less with Vivi. It just happened that we focused so little on those who admire him and why they do that it feels unwarranted. I'm more convinve of the bond between him and Whitebeard than any retainer really.

And I'm tired of viz shills acting like they're beyond criticism and everybody should be happy and accept their questionable choices just because they're official. The official translation has had several issues. Stephen and whoever else came up with these ridiculous names ARE wrong especially when they contradict the manga. They've admitted to being wrong and keeping errors because they value consistency more than accuracy.
    Things like Zolo and Neptunians long predate Stephen getting the gig, so those ain't on him. And Zolo specifically wasn't even Viz's choice, they started with Zoro and were made to change it, just like the video games and other merchandising of the time, because Zolo was the name that they could get a trademark for.

Stephen does a fantastic job but is limited by choices made by others nearly two decades ago.

Translation between different languages is an imprecise art, but it IS an art. It is what it is. Even Oda doesn't get it right all the time, as English isn't a language he's fluent in. Look at how the official romanization of Shiryu was "Shilliew" for a decade, and then recently made correct in his most recent appearance.

And, for people who have only been buying the official release all these years rather than reading illegal bootlegs, they would be thrown off by weird random changes in names, changing things now would be completely unprofessional.

The Viz translation is very irksome. They want people to read the official chapters but insist on using awful names like Neptunians, Zolo, Ganfor, Elbaph, Animal kingdom pirates, ponegliff, cat viper, dog storm etc.
    Stephen asked the Japanese editor directly what he should do about Dogstorm and Catviper, and was told to go with literal version rather than leaving in raw Japanese.

He translated the names so that we get the same effects as the Japanese readers do, where its a descriptor. Same way we get Whitebeard and Blackbeard, rather than Shirohige and Kurohige. You'd never translate Nami to be Wave, because they're not calling her Wave. But the animal guys? They are calling them descriptors and its more accurate to translate it as such. (As is we're completely losing the pun in Wanda being a bark noise, so we're missing out there.)

Similarly, Kuma is possibly an edge case where his name should have been translated as Bear, given all the bear puns Oda makes about him, but that's an unusual edge case.

You don't just leave in random Japanese words for the sake of leaving in raw Japanese like a weaboo. "All according to keikaku" is a terrible translation choice and its obvious why. Apply that to everything else in a story and you start running into problems.
    Last edited by Robby; January 8th, 2020 at 12:22 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I think that being bound by previous translations for the sake of an imaginary continuity is exactly what was being criticized there

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information