+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 967: Roger's Adventure

Default Re: Chapter 967: Roger's Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Kaizoku_Ou View Post
    The official translation calls the Rio poneglyph, Real poneglyph? hmm if that's Oda's intention it still sounds weird, it is not like other ones are fake..
    From the wiki:
    "Real" is the translation Viz went with ages ago when Robin first mentioned them in Alabast or Skypiea. I wouldn't necessarily put too much thought into it.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody View Post
    "True text of history" refers to the void century. "True history", as opposed to whatever lie or coverup the world government has going on. The Rio Poneglyph is (most likely) just all the poneglyphs combined, telling the complete story about what happened back then.
    If I remember correctly like 9 poneglyphs contained true history/information while the others were about the weapons + the 4 road ones.

Man this joint has seen better days hasn't it? Wondering if the bustle of bigger social media sites drove folks out, or if it was romanticizing of certain behavioral patterns...

Quote Originally Posted by Light Bro View Post
    Man this joint has seen better days hasn't it? Wondering if the bustle of bigger social media sites drove folks out, or if it was romanticizing of certain behavioral patterns...
    I blame you and people like you for it mr last post 2017. Nah but 31 pages including spoilers ain't bad for a chapter these days. If you think this week was bad you should see an actual meh chapter.

If I remember correctly like 9 poneglyphs contained true history/information while the others were about the weapons + the 4 road ones.
    Those with weapon belong to the information type, Robin made two classifications, the ones with information and ones who show the location of other ponegylphs.
    Obviously she did not know about RPs, so that makes three.

Seems like Joy Boy just upgraded his status from "an important Fishman Island figure" to "an important figure in the world of One Piece in general."

The official translation calls the Rio poneglyph, Real poneglyph? hmm if that's Oda's intention it still sounds weird, it is not like other ones are fake..
    From the wiki:
    I think they made as much as they can so their enemy won't be able to destroy the real poneglyph. Not to mention that they wrote it in the must difficult way. They sent every poneglyph as a message to a dear friend. So, they were talking between friends with their secret language. To reach their secret, you need to know the language then figure out the meaning behind their puzzle. All these has been made to protect the Laugh Tale.

I got the chills when I saw Roger laughing and asked myself the same question everyone asked themselves when they saw the panel: "Why the hell is he laughing?" Many speculations and theories on the way.

"Those questions better be worth it, or else your descendants will regret it"

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

I say we're going for the genocide thing, but Joyboy prolly did a massive trolling to the CD's.

---

Is Ganfall supposed to be Ganfor?

From the wiki:
    The word 'true' refers to the history told by the Ro Poneglyphs, the true history of OP world, not to the stone itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Krupp View Post
    Is Ganfall supposed to be Ganfor?
    Yep, and Neptunians is meant to be Sea Kings as well.

The Viz translation is very irksome. They want people to read the official chapters but insist on using awful names like Neptunians, Zolo, Ganfor, Elbaph, Animal kingdom pirates, ponegliff, cat viper, dog storm etc. I understand they'd like consistency but they need to realise that most fans don't care about stuff like that.

It'd be more reasonable to use the real names for online releases and save the consistency excuse for physical volumes.

Oda shouldn't have to directly spell out the names in the chapters in a way their versions wouldn't fit like with Rocks & Laugh Tale for them to fix their mistakes.

Are they awful or are they just different from what you've grown use to?

Maybe it's just me, but as long as I feel like it correlates with what's going on, a lot of it doesn't matter. If it says someone used a gun and I see a bow, there's an issue.

They're cringe.

For example, Zolo and Animal kingdom pirates are pretty much universally hated by the fandom. They just don't sound right. As if an edgy guy like Kaido would wake up one day and decide to name his crew something as lame as "the animal kingdom pirates".

They can get a pass for their spelling of poneglyph or even elbaf even though they completely take away the meanings of those names but it gets to a point where their name choices just sound stupid. Like, what in the world is a neptunian?
    Last edited by YoungWhite; January 8th, 2020 at 01:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungWhite View Post
    Theyre awful.

For example, Zolo and Animal kingdom pirates are pretty much universally hated by the fandom. They just don't sound right. As if an edgy guy like Kaido would wake up one day and decide to name his crew something as lame as "the animal kingdom pirates".

They can get a pass for their spelling of poneglyph or even elbaf even though they completely take away the meanings of those names but it gets to a point where their name choices just sound stupid. Like, what in the world is a neptunian?
    I've seen the Neptunian thing come up a couple of times since the chapter dropped and there actually is a decent explanation for it. Neptune (as in the planet) in Japanese is written as "Sea King Planet," and the Neptunians' name is written with the same first two characters. So essentially, adapting the name is a choice between the literal meaning of "sea king" and adapting the reference to the planet/ocean god Oda was also making in Japanese. Obviously either way is a valid option, though the translator at the time couldn't have known there would be a character actually called Neptune (written phonetically in Japanese) later on.

(disclaimer that I'm no translator and I'm just passing on things I've seen, but it didn't take much googling to see that it all adds up)

Animal kingdom pirates doesn't really bother me. He could've called them the zoo pirates for all i care. As long as it gets across the point that Kaido collects animal people it is all good to me

Is there going to be a spoiler this week? Or another break?

Next issue comes out next Sunday (1/19) when we'll be back to the normal schedule. There might be early spoilers but nothing regular, so don't expect anything this week

3DS Friendcode: 1547 - 5175 - 1342

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Animal kingdom pirates doesn't really bother me. He could've called them the zoo pirates for all i care. As long as it gets across the point that Kaido collects animal people it is all good to me
    You would have no problem with "Bestiality Pirates"?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information