+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23

Thread: Chapter 967: Roger's Adventure

Default Re: Chapter 967: Roger's Adventure

Ace and Garp have narcolepsy Luffy doesn't. The only time he fell asleep suddenly was when his grandpa interrupted his rest from the Lucci fight.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    My line of reasoning is essentially that even pre-fruit he was seemingly good enough to scar Shanks and be offered a WB commander title, which i would assume translates to being able to use haki quite effectively, since he uses no known weapons or skills outside of that little wolverine claw.
    He can be fine at haki without being as good as Luffy. Also I always though the fruit were there to illustrate him taking shortcuts to strength which would explains him not being as good at maki since he already have something like the gura which destructive power is much easier to bring out.

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    Ace and Garp have narcolepsy Luffy doesn't. The only time he fell asleep suddenly was when his grandpa interrupted his rest from the Lucci fight.

True, But Luffy does tend to sleep alot. Especially to recover inhumanly first from injuries.

I don't know it just seems like its a D. thing.
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

Quote Originally Posted by kevo_koma View Post
    True, But Luffy does tend to sleep alot. Especially to recover inhumanly first from injuries.

I don't know it just seems like its a D. thing.
    To me it seems more like a One Piece thing. Didn't Zoro do the same when he took Luffy's pain?

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    How is Luffy going to counter darkness, quakes and a possible third ability?
    By doing what he always does, being creative with his own abilities. Anyway, as we have seen time and time again Blackbeard is not undefeatable. If Whitebeard wasn't in such a bad state at Marineford he would've won and Blackbeard still needed his whole crew to attack Whitebeard before he was dead and you can argue Whitebeard was the strongest man but at Marinoford he was definitely not in his prime anymore and while fighting BB, He already had half his face blown off and was magmafisted in the chest by Akainu. MAgellan also basically killed BB if it wasn't for Shiliew having an antidote so there's definitely ways to defeat him. True, he is hax but I think Luffy will have something to even the match. Rubber and quakes? Rubber absorbs quakes. I don't think Luffy will be affected by these quakes at all or at least much less then any other human would.
    Remember, remember, the 5th of November

Quote Originally Posted by flandrian15 View Post
    By doing what he always does, being creative with his own abilities. Anyway, as we have seen time and time again Blackbeard is not undefeatable. If Whitebeard wasn't in such a bad state at Marineford he would've won and Blackbeard still needed his whole crew to attack Whitebeard before he was dead and you can argue Whitebeard was the strongest man but at Marinoford he was definitely not in his prime anymore and while fighting BB, He already had half his face blown off and was magmafisted in the chest by Akainu. MAgellan also basically killed BB if it wasn't for Shiliew having an antidote so there's definitely ways to defeat him. True, he is hax but I think Luffy will have something to even the match. Rubber and quakes? Rubber absorbs quakes. I don't think Luffy will be affected by these quakes at all or at least much less then any other human would.
    Against Croc he used water to counter his ability, against Enel he was the counter himself, Lucci was a simple who can be faster and stronger, Moria he used Morias actual abilities, Magellan he used someone else´s abilities to be able to even touch him, Hody was much weaker, same as Caesar, Doflamingo he needed Law´s super hax ability, and the help of an entire army of gladiators. Not quite his "own abilities".

BB´s overconfidence will be his downfall definitely, but the two opposites are pretty clear, while Blackbeard always takes the easier route while willing to risk it not working out to acquire the supposedly best abilities, pretty much putting his path in destiny´s hands (hence why they refer to it so often, he would have given up if he had never seen the darkness fruit, the BB Pirates would have disbanded if he failed to steal WB´s fruit), Luffy is getting in there every chance he gets and takes his destiny into his own hands to acquire what can be considered "real strength", which also has been mentioned from the beginning of the manga, with the contrast of Luffy´s one spear of conviction and determination vs external abilities and strength, and that literally ties into Haki and what it means.

You seem to forget BB has an ability to completely negate Luffy´s ability, and you can bet your ass it won´t stay as simply pulling him into his hands and touching him that way, with the concept of Awakening, BB can negate Luffy´s powers from anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    Against Croc he used water to counter his ability, against Enel he was the counter himself, Lucci was a simple who can be faster and stronger, Moria he used Morias actual abilities, Magellan he used someone else´s abilities to be able to even touch him, Hody was much weaker, same as Caesar, Doflamingo he needed Law´s super hax ability, and the help of an entire army of gladiators. Not quite his "own abilities".

BB´s overconfidence will be his downfall definitely, but the two opposites are pretty clear, while Blackbeard always takes the easier route while willing to risk it not working out to acquire the supposedly best abilities, pretty much putting his path in destiny´s hands (hence why they refer to it so often, he would have given up if he had never seen the darkness fruit, the BB Pirates would have disbanded if he failed to steal WB´s fruit), Luffy is getting in there every chance he gets and takes his destiny into his own hands to acquire what can be considered "real strength", which also has been mentioned from the beginning of the manga, with the contrast of Luffy´s one spear of conviction and determination vs external abilities and strength, and that literally ties into Haki and what it means.

You seem to forget BB has an ability to completely negate Luffy´s ability, and you can bet your ass it won´t stay as simply pulling him into his hands and touching him that way, with the concept of Awakening, BB can negate Luffy´s powers from anywhere.
    Glad you mention this seeing Luffy's devil fruit has also not yet awakened. Here's hoping it happens this arc but if not then at least it will happen/have happened before fighting BB giving him more ranged attacks hopefully even though I have no clue what an awakaned rubber fruit would add but again this is up to Oda's creativity. Also, the darkness does negate Luffy's rubber but Luffy has a good base strength luckily but anyway, right now we have no proof the darkness fruit can negate DF powers from a long range so I won't take this into account seeing he is hax enough as is.
    Remember, remember, the 5th of November

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    It'd be like if in book 4, they suddenly started calling him Harry Pohter. You'd blanch every single time you saw the different name, even if the author declared it was always meant to be that way.
    Serious question, is this not the case for Raftel/Laugh Tale? Rox/Rocks?

I thought they changed those even though the old words were used in previous volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by RuNa View Post
    Serious question, is this not the case for Raftel/Laugh Tale? Rox/Rocks?
    Laugh Tale is a unique case with extra context and romanization added in 22 years after the fact. And they put it in quote marks. I imagine going forward they'll still call if Raftel and side comment about it being Roger's lost joke to the world. It works as a reveal, rather than a "it was this all along".

And Rox/Rocks is a case where the name only appeared once in an unclear context as Rox, where they only went with that because it was super unclear that a name was being used instead of a thing, and then in a later chapter appeared 78 times in one go as Rocks. That one isn't as jarring as a result and probably be fixed in reprints. (I'm not even sure if it made it to print as Rox at all, I haven't gotten the most recent volumes yet) If it'd been the other way around and there was a chapter calling him Rox 78 times first, then it would be a problem to change. Thats a case where it was easier to just fix than to commit to the error.

When it's a one-off its easier to make the choice to fix it, compared to something thats appeared hundreds of times.
    Last edited by Robby; January 19th, 2020 at 08:33 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information