+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 967: Roger's Adventure

Default Re: Chapter 967: Roger's Adventure

I'm still trying to figure out why both Viz and 4Kids! went with "Merry Go" instead of Going Merry. Is it because in Japanese, it has "-go" attached to the end of the ship's name? Is it a ship honorific? Listening to the subs, I know they say "Goingu Meri-go" and "Sauzando Sani-go". Going Merry-go was often shortened to just Merry-go in Japanese. But the "go" isn't part of the name, is it? Did 4Kids! hear this, and just decide that Merry Go sounded better in English, and just ran with it? (That also makes it a pun, like a reference to a merry-go-round.)

Quote Originally Posted by G1Ravage View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out why both Viz and 4Kids! went with "Merry Go" instead of Going Merry. Is it because in Japanese, it has "-go" attached to the end of the ship's name? Is it a ship honorific? Listening to the subs, I know they say "Goingu Meri-go" and "Sauzando Sani-go". Going Merry-go was often shortened to just Merry-go in Japanese. But the "go" isn't part of the name, is it? Did 4Kids! hear this, and just decide that Merry Go sounded better in English, and just ran with it? (That also makes it a pun, like a reference to a merry-go-round.)
    All ship names in japanese end with go, it is not part of the name, but part of the rules of the language.

Its becoming more of a translation discussion thread than a chapter one lol

One thing that's kinda bothered me is that nobody ever translates the admiral titles.
    For the longest time, I thought Aokiji was his name rather than a title.
    FC(3DS) - 2724-4238-5489 (LZTan)
    FC(Switch) - SW-3434-4042-7728 (Jin)
    Bond en Avant practices drawing in general

I draw a silly comic about school and life.

Quote Originally Posted by Artur View Post
    I could hardly ever imagine replying with such language to anyone in the community, even if they openly insulted me, lot less if I had a position as important as being officially involved with One Piece. It certainly would make sense to do so here being addressed with this language, but there's no way I could do that. (By the way, I hope I'm not being condescending with this or acting like I'm all-mighty for acting this way, I think this should be standard behavior, don't feel it makes me "special" in any way. If it sounds condescending my bad again, I just find it unnecessarily petty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    Stephen post is indeed unnecessarily rude. I guess the disparition of the translator groups have revived the mangaplus translation bashing and he is a bit fed up with it.
    Guys a friendly reminder that we are on fan forum and not an official one at that so, regardless of who Stephan is and what is his job/status...etc he is still a member here and can talk freely.
    I'm not taking sides or saying who is right or wrong and what not. Remember that we had Super Rude people here and the community was cool with it. Not that I support it or that it should be the norm. But it happens here.
    So I do not expect anyone to censor what they really want to say and say it as it is.
    Last edited by Kaizoku_Ou; January 9th, 2020 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bond en Avant View Post
    One thing that's kinda bothered me is that nobody ever translates the admiral titles.
    Yeah, they're epithets like Shirohige and Kurohige but because epithets like those actually existed in English like Blackbeard they were easy to use.

Blue Pheasant and Yellow Monkey are strange and we already have a Monkey D. Luffy so we don't need more monkeys confusing people.

What is a little interesting is that they only ever give one name for admirals. After Aokiji left he just went by his one name, Kuzan. Maybe they're like Brazilian soccer players because once you're part of the Selecao you aren't cool unless you have only 1 name.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungWhite View Post
    For a different reason though. Whitebeard & Blackbeard aren't their real names. Those are epithets. Oda himself has written their names as such which means he intended for those names to be translated. It also helps that the epithets come from a real person. Whitebeard & blackbeard are equivalent to "strawhat","pirate hunter" or "cat burgler"
    ]
    People have given you the Harry Potter names change in different countries. Changing names in translation is a standard ! What the heck is hard to understand here? The bible names have been changed ! In French we call Beijing Pekin, we call Kings William, Guillaume.
    Names are changed everywhere, aren't you just being stubborn here ?

Quote Originally Posted by G1Ravage View Post
    Perhaps controversial, but Merry Go is a change I don't just tolerate, I actually like it a lot more than the literal version, for all the reasons outlined here - the verbal match to the Sunny Go nickname that comes up later and the little bit of merry-go-round imagery that was perfect for the whimsical tone the manga still had when they were using that ship.

And while I'm praising 4kids-era adaptation decisions, their version of Roger's last words is my favourite one to this day. The drama, the sneaky title drop. It just sounds good to me in a way the more literal translations do not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bond en Avant View Post
    This one's always bothered me as well. I feel like I'd prefer them being in English but I've never seen a single version of story willing to try it. People say they'd be less cool or fitting, and maybe in some cases I could agree, but I think Red Dog is a pretty spot on name for a sailor.

I suppose the thing is that the Japanese text does seem to use them like given names, which could make them sound awkward when translated. It might take a little tweaking of the dialogue around the names or the framing of them to make it properly clear that they're epithets/codenames/whatever so it all flowed right, but I'm sure it could be made to work.

It just can't work. Kizaru directly translated would be Yellow Monkey, that is a weird ass name and we already have Monkey D. Luffy although everyone calls him Luffy.

Even if you tried changing it to synonyms of 1 syllable because they sound a lot better it doesn't work. Something like Gold Ape but we already have Gold Roger, excuse me, GOL D LOCKS Roger.

Oh my god I just solved One Piece!

Gol D fought Locks and One Piece is the perfect bowl of porridge you enjoy sitting on the most comfortable chair after a perfect nights sleep in the perfect bed. Afterwards Joy Boy was eaten by bears and that is why it is a Tale full of Laughs and Tears. You heard it here first.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeorn View Post
    It just can't work. Kizaru directly translated would be Yellow Monkey, that is a weird ass name and we already have Monkey D. Luffy although everyone calls him Luffy.

Even if you tried changing it to synonyms of 1 syllable because they sound a lot better it doesn't work. Something like Gold Ape but we already have Gold Roger, excuse me, GOL D LOCKS Roger.

Oh my god I just solved One Piece!

Gol D fought Locks and One Piece is the perfect bowl of porridge you enjoy sitting on the most comfortable chair after a perfect nights sleep in the perfect bed. Afterwards Joy Boy was eaten by bears and that is why it is a Tale full of Laughs and Tears. You heard it here first.
    They could make them all one word to be clearer about the distinction. You might have a point for Yellow Monkey, but no one's going to look at Admiral Yellowmonkey and think he's related to Luffy and Garp. And it's not like the syllable count is that important. Yellow Monkey has the same number of syllables as Akainu. And I did say that some dialogue tweaking to have the epithets be used less like given names would probably be necessary, which would make it a lot clearer to begin with, even with two words.

And it's not like Oda's above doubling up on names anyway. We've got Scotch and Scotch. Tsuru and O-Tsuru. Morgan and Morgans. Jean Ango and Jean Barto. Granted those are bit parts, not major characters, but it's not like double ups never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeorn View Post
    How about they only call him yellow?

Red, blue and yellow. The mighty stoplight trio.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Wolo would probably have rolled better off the tongue. Or Steve, Steve the pirate hunter. It is a strange scenario where only one letter is altered but it ends up feeling more off than if you had changed the whole thing. It's like the worst meet you half way option on the board
    "His name is STEVE he's like a samurai. And an L-A-D-Y, Nami's not shy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

Stoplights have green, not blue. Blue stoplights lol, don't be ridiculous.
    Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

Where the hell do they have blue stoplights?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post
    Then there's all the magical ways that translators adapt the I Am Lord Voldemort thing.
    Oh, yeah, I guess he wasn't called Tom Denem in the original, huh.

On the other end, you have the whole Hodor business, where every translator went collectively "Shiiiiit".

Quote Originally Posted by Nolus View Post
    Where the hell do they have blue stoplights?
    I thought Japan did. But if not then my suggestion falls flat

They really do have blue traffic lights (technically green enough for international standards apparently). Fascinating.

Edit:
    Also based on something of a language interpretation topic so highly relevant to the current discussion. :p

Huh, what do you know, they really do~

Here is where we should all shame fel for his americentric denial of blue trafic lights right to exist.

I wanna say that Blue Pheasant and Red Dog sound incredibly stupid. But then I'm reminded of back during Dressrosa, when Fujitora was introduced and several chapters later Doflamingo said that Fujitora was conscripted along with "Green Bull". And even though people pointed out relatively quickly that the Japanese name was Ryokugyu, for the longest time people kept calling him Green Bull wherever I saw, even though he was the odd one out as we used the Japanese names for all the others.

Then for a time I think people used kinda a mix and you'd see both names, but I feel like it was only when he was introduced during the Reverie that people definitively called him Ryokugyu and I've not seen Green Bull since. Though there's a huge gap in which I didnt visit this forum so maybe my timeline is off here and people made the switch way earlier. Anyways, just because he was translated to English the first time he was mentioned, people kept calling him by that name for so long. So while my instinct is that the English names sound dumb, maybe if that's the first thing I'd seen I wouldn't be thinking that way.

Quote Originally Posted by EvoWarrior5 View Post
    I wanna say that Blue Pheasant and Red Dog sound incredibly stupid. But then I'm reminded of back during Dressrosa, when Fujitora was introduced and several chapters later Doflamingo said that Fujitora was conscripted along with "Green Bull". And even though people pointed out relatively quickly that the Japanese name was Ryokugyu, for the longest time people kept calling him Green Bull wherever I saw, even though he was the odd one out as we used the Japanese names for all the others.

Then for a time I think people used kinda a mix and you'd see both names, but I feel like it was only when he was introduced during the Reverie that people definitively called him Ryokugyu and I've not seen Green Bull since. Though there's a huge gap in which I didnt visit this forum so maybe my timeline is off here and people made the switch way earlier. Anyways, just because he was translated to English the first time he was mentioned, people kept calling him by that name for so long. So while my instinct is that the English names sound dumb, maybe if that's the first thing I'd seen I wouldn't be thinking that way.
    Because Akainu and Aokiji and much easier for the english reader to remember than Ryokugyu

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information