+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 967: Roger's Adventure

Default Re: Chapter 967: Roger's Adventure

I for one appreciate that the VIZ translations actually convey what the fuck is going on in the story because scanlations have been pretty terrible at that for a while now.

What is even happening here anymore, lol.
    Gonna give ya the D.!

Those fan translations do tend to get a little too much freedom in my opinion. I heard that the scans said that Buggy got that one disease that Usopp made up.

Anyone who doesnt use NAKAMA in a official translation is golden to me.

Quote Originally Posted by The D. View Post
    What is even happening here anymore, lol.
    Local internet poster gets upset over one letter being changed on someone's name.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post
    I for one appreciate that the VIZ translations actually convey what the fuck is going on in the story because scanlations have been pretty terrible at that for a while now.
    But what about their expert use of profanity and street slang.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Local internet poster gets upset over one letter being changed on someone's name.
    You tell 'em bagebageking.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    You tell 'em bagebageking.
    Weren't you named Wolfwoof once?

Quote Originally Posted by Nolus View Post
    Weren't you named Wolfwoof once?
    I think they retconned that in season 8.

I'll have to look over the translators notes.

Our Idefix is quite alright thank you for noticing. The rest are probably all translated as terrible Swedish puns, as even the Swedes were humans back in the 70's when those works were translated. Like tragicomix, homeopatix or majestix and any other low hanging pun fruit
    it's well known Idefix has no swedish translation issue :-)

but i doubt the other dog is called Z°°dvinsen everywhere
    congrats to the one who understands the french pun here...

Are we Reddit-Famous now? Are those people watching us?

Because I always wanted to share some things with the world that usually don't belong here!

Like this strawberry that totally looks like the Op Op no Mi!

Spoiler:

of The One Piece Podcast Zach Logan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post

Because I always wanted to share some things with the world that usually don't belong here!

That is the coolest strawberry I’ve ever seen!
    Host and Founder
    The One Piece Podcast

The views expressed are solely my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Logan View Post
    That is the coolest strawberry I’ve ever seen!
    Are you sure about that?

Spoiler:

But what about their expert use of profanity and street slang.
    Japanese: He went inside the house.
    VIZ version: He went inside the house.
    Scanlators: That piece of shit motherfucker asshole went outside the fucking house, goddammit, desu.

of The One Piece Podcast Zach Logan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    Wow, I walked right into that one.
    Host and Founder
    The One Piece Podcast

The views expressed are solely my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post
    Japanese: He went inside the house.
    VIZ version: He went inside the house.
    Scanlators: That piece of shit motherfucker asshole went outside the fucking house, goddammit, desu.
    What happend you Stephen. You used to be cool....i assume. Like had a little limp bizkit hat and whatever else the college crowd wore to get laid. And now we can't even get a little motherfucker in our factually accurate one piece chapters. Tsk tsk.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    I'm not sure Harry Potter is a good example given that ,at least in French, more than 50% of the names have been changed. Hogwart is Poudlard, Hufflepuff is Poustouffle, Snape is Rogue, muggles are moldus, etc... And guess what, Hermione in German is called Hermine
    lol I was reading the last four pages since I last checked and I was ready to bring up international Harry Potter only to see you beat me to the punch already.

Dutch Harry Potter changes every name except for the titular character, often adding puns to them (retranslating them to English, Dumbledore's Dutch name is sort of like Parchmentus, McGonagall is Otherkin, etc). And Snape is changed to Sneep so that the kiddies know how to pronounce his names correctly (just like certain Viz terms!). And then there were the completely unneccesary changes like turning Tonks into Tops. Now, is this translation maligned by fans? Nope, because they were all introduced to these names first. And the translator is renowned among his peers for providing the gold standard of how to adapt a book.

Discovered Stowaway

Don't care about Woger. Those text dumps are extremely thin in content, and that highlight that is hyped so much on reddit (shows they literally know nothing and are impressed by anything), the "clash" between him and Whitebeard, is the most generic and minimalistic fanservice that Oda tends to indulge in. Just spam some "clash" panel half a year, or once a year, looking all the same anyway (well, it's a "clash"...) and everyone is happy for that year. No.

In other words: would have preferred keeping this flashback short and switching back to present time to move the plot forward towards the end of the year. That would have been more positive and satisfying, this is all just a drag. Or at least showing some real fights of the Rocks or anyone else. The text-dumps are super-shallow (and still always incomplete, go figure), Oda shouldn't have wrong ideas about that. It's kind of the same as the clash, just that it's more expositional.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post

That strawberry looks so damn delicious right now.
    ****THE NICO ROBIN: ROKUSHIKI PROJECT****
    Go here for the project and here for the thread! (UPDATE 10/18/20)
    ****THE HUAQUANDAO STYLE PROJECT***
    Go here or here (UPDATE 05/10/14)

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Those same cards romanized the the Impel Down warden as "Shilliew", and then Oda released a different official spelling of "Shiryu" just a few weeks later.

The data cards are not infallible, not written by Oda, and not intended for an English speaking audience. The english on them is to look cool to Japanese readers, not be the definitive final word on the matter..
    The Shiliew/Shiryu thing isn't a fair comparison. That's a tricky case. The difference here is that Nekomamushi/Inuarashi are undoubtedly their names and catviper & Dogstorm are merely english equivalents that aren't their names.
    I have an official, printed in Japan and written in Japanese, published by Jump, Dragonball book called "Dragonball Forever" that romanizes their names "Gokou", "Begeta" and "Klilyn". Doesn't make it right.

Romanization in Japanese is NOT the same as actually translating to English. Especially when the creator isn't fluent in the language. Lets not forget than even in the manga Oda has let "Flanky" slip through a few times, and put in Engrish sentences like "How fast the time fleets". .
    Dragon ball name romanizations are some of the worst out there. They don't research deeply into those things nearly to the exent that Oda and his team does. You're correct in saying that rominizations aren't the same as translating into English, but the point I'm making here is that their names aren't supposed to be translated to english equivalents.

Take Sakura from Naruto. Sakura's english equivalent means cherry blossom, but cherry blossom is not her name and no one would ever call her that. Ino's english equivalent is pig, that doesn't mean her name is the english word, pig.

A spelling error like Flanky (because of the Japanese L/R thing) or a grammatically incorrect english sentence isn't the same. If I name my child Obama, that doesn't mean I'm calling them "little beach".
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    As proof, like Robby said, you have no issue with names like Whitebeard, Blackbeard or Supernova.

For a different reason though. Whitebeard & Blackbeard aren't their real names. Those are epithets. Oda himself has written their names as such which means he intended for those names to be translated. It also helps that the epithets come from a real person. Whitebeard & blackbeard are equivalent to "strawhat","pirate hunter" or "cat burgler"
    Last edited by YoungWhite; January 9th, 2020 at 06:44 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information