+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 912: "The Strongest Man - The Thief Brigade Leader Shutenmaru!''

Default 912: "The Strongest Man - The Thief Brigade Leader Shutenmaru!''

* citation needed

Title: ''The Strongest Man - The Thief Brigade Leader Shutenmaru!''
    Chapters Covered: rest of 921
    Episode Director: Masahiro Hosoda (***)
    Animation Director: Masayuki Takagi (**1/2)
    Time: 7:30PM EST
    Watch It: www.crunchyroll.com/one-piece
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Default Re: 912: "The Strongest Man - The Thief Brigade Leader Shutenmaru!''

Sorry but what does that "(**1/2)" after the director and animation supervisor names means?
    Last edited by Nouryoku; November 30th, 2019 at 06:27 PM.

My personal rating of the two. In this case I think that they're mostly average. Takagi however can be very hot and cold; some times his episodes end up looking great, others not so much. It's that historic lack of consistency that prevents me from rating him higher at present, compared to say, Kenji Yokoyama, whose episodes only infrequently have stand-out animation but almost always have solidly on-model art.

Anyway, you don't need to take it too seriously if you don't want to, and I encourage people not to. Art is subjective after all.

One Piece Episode 913 Preview

Kaido Dragon Form - Episode 912 (New Soundtrack)

Last edited by thaihoa91; November 30th, 2019 at 06:21 PM.

That Kaido transformation was a pleasant surprise. I wonder who animated it? Was it Tu? Really excited for next episode. I missed Inoue's character designs so much.

They make Jack look better in the fight compared to the manga

Quote Originally Posted by Crossword View Post
    My personal rating of the two. In this case I think that they're mostly average. Takagi however can be very hot and cold; some times his episodes end up looking great, others not so much. It's that historic lack of consistency that prevents me from rating him higher at present, compared to say, Kenji Yokoyama, whose episodes only infrequently have stand-out animation but almost always have solidly on-model art.

Anyway, you don't need to take it too seriously if you don't want to, and I encourage people not to. Art is subjective after all.
    I see.

That Kaido transformation and scene was amazing.

Also i noticed they added something from Act 2.

The episode was great but next week looks...oh boy ��
    Last edited by Papadight1992; November 30th, 2019 at 08:11 PM.

That episode was great. Kaido's transformation as well the music that was playing when he arrived to the location of where Jack and Shutenmaru actually was really creepy and tense.
    Last edited by Sano; November 30th, 2019 at 09:01 PM.

Transformation was hot, but I'm not sure if it had the same umph that the manga panel had. There was no transformation before it, so you had no idea what was coming. Jack and Shutenmaru are clashing and suddenly a giant fucking dragon appears and Law is like "that's Kaido!!!!", meanwhile every character within a parsec is sweating at his entrance.

Huh, is the Wano arc actually watchable or was it just this one episode? It seems the art style changed, are the lines now thicker or am I imagining things? Looks good.
    Last edited by Jabra; November 30th, 2019 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    Huh, is the Wano arc actually watchable or was it just this one episode? It seems the art style changed, are the lines now thicker or am I imagining things? Looks good.
    Yes, the line art has been different the entire arc.

The Ashura/Jack fight was not great; second half had better animation at least. First half felt really stiff. But the Kaido reveal was awesome. I’m hoping for an exact remake of the reveal next episode. I want to see Kaido in his entirety with the framing of the manga.

Overall really cool episode.

The storyoard and direction was very nice in some places, in some other not so much.

The animation during the Jack vs Douji fight was quite clunky during some parts, but when Tu Yong-ce came in the animation improved. He said that the schedule was tighter for this episode, therefore I can't really knock it off too badly.

Despite the anime taking a different route with the dragon reveal, which is fine by me + Oda himself said that the manga and the anime are kinda 2 separate things, I felt however that the direction was a little bit lacking at the end when Kaido entered the scene. The scene lacked immersive atmospheric direction and gravitas I was expecting it to have. While that portion had undeniably some really nice direction in some parts, the commitment wasn't there for me.

Next week however looks very promising, both on the direction and animation front. We could be in for Yusuke Suzuki's best episode so far, someone who hasn't really impressed me since he started as an episode director on this show.w

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by RevolutionaryOfThe6Paths View Post
    That Kaido transformation was a pleasant surprise. I wonder who animated it? Was it Tu? Really excited for next episode. I missed Inoue's character designs so much.
    It was animated by Tu Yong-ce.
    Monkey D. D. Ragon! So beastly he got two D's in his name!

Damn the Kaido stuff was actually terrifying as expected..

Duuuude

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    Ehhh? Have you been out of the anime loop for the past six months? The anime has been pretty awesome since the episode before Wano began. What was that, 899? 900? We have a new animation director and character designer since then.

A few episodes have been maybe average at worst, but most have been great, and two or three somewhere around amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by G1Ravage View Post
    Ehhh? Have you been out of the anime loop for the past six months? The anime has been pretty awesome since the episode before Wano began. What was that, 899? 900? We have a new animation director and character designer since then.

A few episodes have been maybe average at worst, but most have been great, and two or three somewhere around amazing.
    Yeah, I dropped it a long time ago, only watching certain episodes that cover special events in the manga (like Kaido transforming in this case). Spending 20 minutes watching an ep is just such a luxury, and the Anime was simply not worth it for the longest time.

Sure the animation wasn't super smooth the entire episode, but I'm already happy if the stillshots don't look like I've drawn them myself. Oh, and at least *some* creativity would be nice, like the Wano style adbreak sequences (how do you call them again?) and the new intro isn't Sunny sailing towards the sunset.

I actually like Kaido's blue color now. It irritated me on the volume cover, but it works great in the Anime.
    Last edited by Jabra; December 1st, 2019 at 10:13 AM.

One Piece sakuga nut and resident Katsumi Ishizuka fanboy

Twitter: https://twitter.com/SkippyTheRobot
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0Z...2JQKXRBkCGSHzw

The blue texturing on the dragon is just gorgeous. I took a few screencaps and want to use them as wallpapers or something.

I'm kinda in two minds over that added scene. It was cool, but it did indeed take away some from the full dragon form reveal. If they absolutely had to include the transformation bit I think a good compromise would've been to keep it in silhouette. Perhaps whoever was in charge of that decision figured there was no point with the opening already giving things away in full. Since he's been venting on twitter about how much of a pain in the ass animating the dragon was it would've been easier on Tu at any rate! Speaking of, pour one out for all of the poor animators and in-betweeners that have to deal with that thing. I'm sure they'll be relieved when Oda finally reveals his hybrid form (watch that be somehow even more complex).

December's looking to be quite a treat animation-wise. It's nice to see some Inoue art in the preview that actually looks like what we were used to seeing back in his heyday. I doubt he'll be handling the full episode though but I certainly won't mind being proven wrong. Lastly, what's up with that skin tone they gave Ashura Doji? That sunburnt look coupled with the pink hair makes it look like my laptop's color settings are out of whack more than anything else. Oh, and I see (hear) that Pekoms lives on as his voice.

The blue texturing on the dragon is just gorgeous. I took a few screencaps and want to use them as wallpapers or something.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information