+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: One Piece: The manga that sold the most this year

Default Re: One Piece: The manga that sold the most this year

I tried KnY once, got up to the point it was released (an arc they go with one of the strong guys to look after his missing wife). It was good enough to keep me going until I exhausted the released content, but I didn't felt it so never tried to keep up with the weekly releases (mostly because none of the characters appealed to me). Will probably give it a second try, though, once it is over.

Regardless, I think it is super exciting that a newcomer manages to shake things by taking the first place from this monolithic presence that stood there for decades, even if things go back to what it used to be by next year.

Does anyone know why Shueisha and Oricon have vastly different results?

https://twitter.com/Eiichiro_Staff/s...61344282357761

I reiterate. ANN has not removed the original article or updated it and neither Shueisha or any of Oda's editors have retracted the original statement.
    It seems strange for the company that publishes the manga to not say anything if their data is wrong.

I am glad Kimetsu no Yaiba is doing that well. I've been a fan since day 1 so I like how big it has grown.

Not because I want it to beat any other manga in sales (seriously who really cares about that) but because I like the safety I feel when a manga I love reading each week/month reach a level of success where you know it won't be cancelled and that anime seasons will keep coming.

Besides that, I couldn't care less about who is dominating the rankings.

Rooting for a series is not much different than rooting for a sports team that technically has nothing to do with you, yet you are still invested in its or their success and want them to go all the way. And with One Piece it is even amplified since many, especially here, pretty much grew up alongside the anime/manga, it was a constant companion throughout their life, so wanting it to be at the pinnacle of its format and be as successful as possible is nothing weird.
    The only difference you could say to a sports team is that there is a direct correlation between quality and success (though quality is a difficult and far-reaching concept in that context).
    And while there are certainly those that equate success with quality, whether itīs movies, manga and so forth, they are not here.

So get off your high horses people and as usual, live and let live.

People have just as much a role in the performance of a sports team as they do a manga.

Unless someone isn't buying tickets or merch, there's no money for players. And I feel the same way about rooting for a sports teams as I do manga.

"Oh, did OP win? Neat."

"Oh, it lost? How did that happen? *observes facts* Ah, I see. Okay, yeah, that makes sense."

VS

"YEAH!!! I knew it would win!!! There's no way it could lose! One Piece is the best!!! So glad it beat series XYZ!"

And the difference between 'being #1' and being 'safe enough to not be cancelled' is vast. One Piece's popularity is an abnormality that we've become used to. A series doesn't need to be anywhere as near as ubiquitous as OP to continue. If you're looking for security in your series, just having an anime adaptation alone is usually enough of a sign that your author will be able to continue their series to the end unless drama, controversy/scandal, or writer's block come into play.
    Last edited by Greg; November 28th, 2019 at 02:47 PM.

I suggest we go full football hooligan on it. Face paintings, chants, supporter scarves and shirts, maybe assaulting people who support rival mangas. There is room to expand this from a dull numbers game into a merchandise juggernaut

But we already *have* Twitter and Reddit.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    I suggest we go full football hooligan on it. Face paintings, chants, supporter scarves and shirts, maybe assaulting people who support rival mangas. There is room to expand this from a dull numbers game into a merchandise juggernaut
    Would we have to fight using weapons and techniques from the manga we support?
    That could be kinda fun. Really putting the Mixed in Mixed Martial Artes.

That would make me a big supporter of Saint Seiya though. I mean, I may not be able to punch at the speed of sound or light like Seiya but at least I have an armor to protect me from the doofus who choose to support Hunter X Hunter and is trying to grow ten years in ten seconds and punch me.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKingJC View Post
    I reiterate. ANN has not removed the original article or updated it and neither Shueisha or any of Oda's editors have retracted the original statement.
    It seems strange for the company that publishes the manga to not say anything if their data is wrong.
    Well, that would be an inconvenience, wouldn't it? We spent so many years never questioning our priorities and celebrating "TOP SELLING MANGA", then we suddenly are touched by an angel and grow out of our superfluous ways finding out, conveniently on the very same year OP is not #1, that numbers actually never mattered... and then we go back to our previous state? Like fuck our character development? Urgh... ok, whatever, we would take that back in 2020 anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    People have just as much a role in the performance of a sports team as they do a manga.

Unless someone isn't buying tickets or merch, there's no money for players. And I feel the same way about rooting for a sports teams as I do manga.

"Oh, did OP win? Neat."

"Oh, it lost? How did that happen? *observes facts* Ah, I see. Okay, yeah, that makes sense."

VS

"YEAH!!! I knew it would win!!! There's no way it could lose! One Piece is the best!!! So glad it beat series XYZ!"

And the difference between 'being #1' and being 'safe enough to not be cancelled' is vast. One Piece's popularity is an abnormality that we've become used to. A series doesn't need to be anywhere as near as ubiquitous as OP to continue. If you're looking for security in your series, just having an anime adaptation alone is usually enough of a sign that your author will be able to continue their series to the end unless drama, controversy/scandal, or writer's block come into play.
    Do you feel the manga is being rushed?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post

"Oh, did OP win? Neat."

VS

Which is a matter of a healthy degree in rooting for it, not a matter of category, which is my point. At least here, itīs a healthy degree of wanting to see something you care about do as well as possible.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Didnīt that happen when OP competed with Naruto and Bleach...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information