+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: One Piece: The manga that sold the most this year

Default Re: One Piece: The manga that sold the most this year

Aaaand *this* is exactly why this baloney doesn't matter.

One Piece isn't on top for total sales:
    "What!? No!!! That's unpossible!!!!111"

One Piece is on top for total sales:
    "I knew it all along!!!! Hahaha! As things *should* be!!! Stupid series XYZ!"

One Piece isn't on top for total sales:
    "...ah sh**..."

(^o^)

The only reason I can imagine myself being happy over something as fad-related as sales is if I was ***severely insecure*** with my fandom. Unless you care about what others think of *you* liking a series, it doesn't matter if it's 5th or 500th, so long as *you* enjoy it.

This drama has been an amazing lol pool this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B. Decent View Post
    Am I missing something with this series? It just seems to be another supernatural Samurai shonen to me.
    It's a very good shonen for me which does not really follow the nekketsu patterns so it is quite refreshing in a way. It is really fast paced and is very character oriented. If you like long world building oriented series like One Piece only, you may be disappointed

Am I missing something with this series? It just seems to be another supernatural Samurai shonen to me.
    The animation for the series is supposed to be amazing, that's all I can really say for the hype

to be honest I find the series extremely mediocre, and lots of the characters frustrating and the fights are almost impossible to folllow

that being said, every time a villain dies they give them a backstory that reveals why they are the way they are, usually a sympathetic view, it's the one saving grace of this series, that the author finds a way to make you care about the demons in there final hour before they pass

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    The animation for the series is supposed to be amazing, that's all I can really say for the hype

to be honest I find the series extremely mediocre, and lots of the characters frustrating and the fights are almost impossible to folllow

that being said, every time a villain dies they give them a backstory that reveals why they are the way they are, usually a sympathetic view, it's the one saving grace of this series, that the author finds a way to make you care about the demons in there final hour before they pass
    Well.. many shounen did that. Kimetsu also included. Yes it's good but doesnt have a really grandiose new concept.
    But the author is dedicated with his concept and has been good in developing characters. The only one i followed weekly besides one piece and one punch man now.

Quote Originally Posted by kirei_lanford View Post
    Well.. many shounen did that. Kimetsu also included. Yes it's good but doesnt have a really grandiose new concept.
    But the author is dedicated with his concept and has been good in developing characters. The only one i followed weekly besides one piece and one punch man now.
    It's definitely not something exclusive to demon slayer, I never meant to say that at all, but most people don't do it this well (I mean obviously Oda does an amazing job but I mean c'mon it's Oda) all I'm saying is the author does a good job of bringing the feels

Which is what stands out the most to me in this series, that's all I was saying

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

Is there a good western-style fantasy shonen around since like Record of Lodoss War? Or that one where Issac Newton was the bad guy?

Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 2019

1. Kimetsu no Yaiba = 12.057.628
    2. One Piece = 10.134.232
    3. Kingdom = 7.661.361
    4. The Promised Neverland = 7.454.745
    5. The Quintessential Quintuplets = 5.895.000
    6. My Hero Academia = 5.047.574
    7. Attack on Titan = 4.704.234
    8. Haikyuu!! = 4.514.838
    9. Kaguya-sama: Love is War = 4.096.492
    10. That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime = 3.414.482

https://www.oricon.co.jp/confidence/special/53961/7/

======

Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Volume: 2019

1. One Piece 91 = 2.388.243
    2. One Piece 93 = 2.200.000
    3. One Piece 92 = 2.112.734
    4. One Piece 94 = 1.880.146
    5. Attack on Titan 27 = 1.344.500
    6. Attack on Titan 28 = 1.172.448
    7. Attack on Titan 29 = 955.124
    8. Kimetsu no Yaiba 17 = 926.446
    9. Kimetsu no Yaiba 16 = 877.366
    10. Kingdom 53 = 863.994

More: https://www.oricon.co.jp/confidence/special/53961/5/

for anyone interested:
    1st half 2019 thread: http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=53153
    last year thread: http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=51461

=====

I must say, Kingdom doing goob job this year.
    Last edited by Starrk; November 27th, 2019 at 11:20 PM.

I just started watching the anime and it seems pretty solid. Good character work, strong premise, not overly shonen-ey. The anime is definitely doing some heavy lifting though, it looks fantastic.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Unless you care about what others think of *you* liking a series, it doesn't matter if it's 5th or 500th, so long as *you* enjoy it.
    Caveat- a series doing well ensures it gets to continue. A series doing badly, no matter how much you love it, may be ended prematurely.

Not that OP is in any danger whatsoever of being cancelled, even if it fell into 2nd or 12th place, but other more niche less successful projects it can be a thing. Applies to video games and movies as well.

If Okami had just sold 10 million copies maybe there'd be a proper Okami 2 by now.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I read the first 20 chapters when KnY came out and it was a pretty good start. The vibe is cool, the characters are engaging, and the atmosphere is immersive and slightly eerie, as it should be. The series is totally worth it and it is nothing like many of the ultra generic shonen that WSJ releases more often than they should. Right now I'm waiting for the series to grow a little bit more in order to binge read it in the future, but gotta be honent that the anime is tempting me a lot.

if you want a preview of the anime, here is the scene that made the biggest fuss this last summer :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    If Okami had just sold 10 million copies maybe there'd be a proper Okami 2 by now.
    Sorry for being off-topic, but isn't that Okamiden?

Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation View Post
    I read the first 20 chapters when KnY came out and it was a pretty good start. The vibe is cool, the characters are engaging, and the atmosphere is immersive and slightly eerie, as it should be. The series is totally worth it and it is nothing like many of the ultra generic shonen that WSJ releases more often than they should. Right now I'm waiting for the series to grow a little bit more in order to binge read it in the future, but gotta be honent that the anime is tempting me a lot.
    Well it's already in its final arc, so you won't be waiting that much longer

I just started watching the anime and it seems pretty solid. Good character work, strong premise, not overly shonen-ey. The anime is definitely doing some heavy lifting though, it looks fantastic.

Caveat- a series doing well ensures it gets to continue. A series doing badly, no matter how much you love it, may be ended prematurely.

Not that OP is in any danger whatsoever of being cancelled, even if it fell into 2nd or 12th place, but other more niche less successful projects it can be a thing. Applies to video games and movies as well.

I Always think of Beelzebub and how much better it could have been if it sold well

Quote Originally Posted by All Fiction View Post
    Sorry for being off-topic, but isn't that Okamiden?
    Nope, Okamiden is a midquel for the handheld that downgrades the scope, the visuals, the combat, uses almost all the same locations and characters, and huge chunks of the game are set during the previous game, while not moving the story forward at all. It even ends exactly where Okami ended promising next time will be the adventure Okami promised for the next time.

If you'd told me Okamiden was first and Okami was the sequel that improved upon it, I'd believe it.

It was at best, a spinoff, that was inferior to the source in every way, not a sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    I Always think of Beelzebub and how much better it could have been if it sold well
    On the other side of the spectrum, I think of Bleach and Naruto and how much better they might have been if they were *less* popular and had pushed to finish their narratives a few years earlier.

Or if Togashi didn't have blackmail on Jump to let him do his Hunter Hunter hiatus nonsense and was made to just get to an ending.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I only wonder how popular OP would be outside of japan if it got the anime it deserves.

One piece is already popular outside of Japan
    But its length is an issue to gain new readers

Quote Originally Posted by uniaka ikuzakas View Post
    I only wonder how popular OP would be outside of japan if it got the anime it deserves.
    It would be exactly the same. The OP anime is solid for the first 100 or so episodes up through Alabasta. Very little filler, great voice cast, good animation for the time. It was as good a representation of the manga as you could realistically ask for.

Once it caught up and had to slow down and load up with filler that's a different matter, but its not much different than Dragonball in that regard.

It works for the audience it works for. Something that weird was never going to catch in big time stateside where they like stylish and cool anime instead.

(I still say they should have aired it next to Adventure Time, rather than Toonami)

Is there a good western-style fantasy shonen around since like Record of Lodoss War? Or that one where Issac Newton was the bad guy?
    Visions of Escaflowne? Just thought about it the other day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

Caveat to caveat.

Which is a matter of pure sales.

Not, "My series sold more than yours." Which is...exactly what it will deteriorate into.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Caveat to caveat.

Which is a matter of pure sales.

Not, "My series sold more than yours." Which is...exactly what it will deteriorate into.
    Ah but caveat to caveat to caveat!

No movie, not Avatar nor Avengers, is ever going to beat Gone with the Wind for lifetime ticket sales!

But caveat to caveat to caveat to caveat!

But Gone with the Wind didn't actaully make that much in its first run, and its only decades of returning to theaters with no competition that got it thre, and Star Wars would easily beat if it the original ever released again!

But caveat to caveat to caveat to caveat to caveat!

...I got nothing I just wanted a quintuple caveat.

I do have to admit rooting for Avengers to beat out Avatar though.
    Last edited by Robby; November 28th, 2019 at 04:48 AM. Reason: but caveat to caveat to caveat to caveat to caveat to caveat! Sextuple caveat!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information