+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: One Piece: The manga that sold the most this year

Default Re: One Piece: The manga that sold the most this year

Yea I know what you mean. I admit I care about it more than I should. I just like it when something that I'm into so much, like OP, is popular. Because it means that more people get to enjoy it, and also I would encounter more people in daily life that I could talk about it with. But I've seen how people can get overly competitive about things like these, as if sales = quality.
    Last edited by EvoWarrior5; November 26th, 2019 at 07:13 PM.

Sales discussion..
    Power level discussion..
    Theyre just topics to get the young adrenaline high.
    I admit it rather fun though. But not to be taken too serious.
    Everyone know that one piece is a huge kingdom in japan and oda is its king.
    And it'll get more hype considering the series is nearing its end.

Sales obviously aren't a measure of quality, but I like keeping track of them because they're a good record of what is and isn't resonating with audiences and where the market's at. I celebrate when something I'm enjoying reaches the top and gets popular because it means a) the artists behind it are more likely to be rewarded and b) more things like what I'm currently enjoying are likely to be produced to satisfy the market. It also reassures me there are kindred spirits out there who share my passion for a certain series, which is good because I only have a handful of real life friends with anything more than a casual interest in anime and manga. Of course, One Piece being popular and Oda being well-compensated are both a given until the end of the series' run at this point, and one or two years of second place aren't going to change that, but this is why I'll cheer for things like pre-anime boost Promised Neverland doing as well as it did last year.

Plus I'm hoping to break into creative work myself one day, so paying attention to what does and doesn't catch the eye of a mainstream audience could build a valuable skill for the future. Sure, artistic integrity means not caring about what the market wants, but I've got bills to pay

Discovered Stowaway ScotchInformer's Avatar

What does this mean?

Quote Originally Posted by zeff redleg View Post
    What does this mean?
    I've seen some say it's mainly congratulating the series (Yaiba) on it's success in Jump, that it making readers excited and it makes him happy.

Nothing about sales, though maybe it's a bad translation.

Quote Originally Posted by zeff redleg View Post
    What does this mean?
    KNY is number 1 in oricon ranking

Discovered Stowaway ScotchInformer's Avatar

Translation by KaidoBoby

“Lately many people are telling me that Jump is very interesting right now. Not only the excitement surrounding Demon Slayer , but the young authors are all getting enthusiastic!! Of course I’m as well!! I’ll be really happy if you could please buy one yourself. Thank you all for no.1 sales for a single volume!! I’m honored!!”

I am confused. Kimetsu is first right in Oricon ? So what is he talking about ?

Quote Originally Posted by papadight22 View Post
    There are 2 type ofrankings : by serie and by volume
    In sales by volume, One Piece is first by a large margin.

Quote Originally Posted by papadight22 View Post
    He's saying 'no 1 sales for a single volume'. Kimetsu is first in Oricon in total series sales, but in their top 50 by volume, the top 4 are the OP volumes that came out this year.

I got it thanks.

Maybe wait for a more clear translation before jumping to conclusions.

How come the "official" numbers from the other day were wrong then?

Reading other forums, they wanted OP to lose to bad it’s hilarious. It’ll be first again by far next year given that there will be no backlog for Yaiba

So this is confusing as hell at this point.

There hasn't been any retraction from Naito, the Eiichiro Staff or Shueisha yet. I'll believe the initial numbers from the company itself until further word is made.

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

Am I missing something with this series? It just seems to be another supernatural Samurai shonen to me.

Ufotable animation quality is probably the thing that people really like about it. That's what I heard from a co-worker who hasn't read the manga but loves the anime due to visual-eyecandy when it comes to fighting scenes. He generally only talked about the animation quality as well as the visual direction. Not so much about the world, characters or plotline.

I personally haven't seen it myself but the premise of it is still more interesting then lots of the other new series.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information