+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 901: ''Charging Into Enemy Territory - Bakura Town Where Officials Live!''

Default 901: ''Charging Into Enemy Territory - Bakura Town Where Officials Live!''

Hold 'em right there, pardner!

Title: ''Charging Into Enemy Territory - Bakura Town Where Officials Live!''
    Chapters Covered: rest of 914-915
    Episode Director: Satoshi Ito (***1/2)
    Animation Director: Kazuya Hisada (***1/2)
    Time: 8:30PM EST
    Watch It: www.crunchyroll.com/one-piece
    Last edited by Crossword; September 7th, 2019 at 08:00 PM.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Default Re: 901: ''Charging Into Enemy Territory - Bakura Town Where Officials Live!''

One Piece Episode 901 Preview

Luffy, Zoro & Okiku were heading toward Bakura Town - Episode 901

Last edited by thaihoa91; September 7th, 2019 at 06:32 PM.

Default Re: 901: ''Charging Into Enemy Territory - Bakura Town Where Officials Live!''

Am I the only one who usually hates anime kids but loves otama?

The anime helps a bit, but overall I'm kinda indifferent towards her. Too many years of One Piece using the helpless/saccharine/spunky little kid trope, both canon and filler. Speaking of filler I'm sure some manga purists'll get steamed at the anime giving Batman Armament Haki and allowing him to tank a Haki punch from Luffy, but if they can make these guys feel even a little less jobbery I'm all for it since that's been my big gripe with the arc antagonists so far.

Production-wise, didn't expect to see Hisada back in the AD role (even discounting the magazine scans attributing the role to Kitazaki originally). Seems like he might be following the Ishizuka path of sharpening his skills now that he has fewer responsibilities.

FUUUUUUUUUUUCK. I hate that bat guy. I REALLY wanted to see him smashed!

There will be no disrespect towards the mighty Batman here.

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

Batman > Katakuri.

I liked that episode.

I'm not sure if it was just me, but I liked how the anime went for a generally more uncomfortable approach to portraying Holdem. I generally, really liked the atmosphere throughout this episode, specifically in that scene. The lighting choices, board and music placement I felt were all generally well put together this episode. In saying that, I think somethings definitely could have been better placed, but overall, despite hardly any interesting content being covered, I felt the anime staff did an admirable enough job with what they given here.

Animation wise, former character designer Kazuya Hisada was the animation supervisor, and top listed Key animator, with his animation being found across the episode. Overall, solid stuff from him, with the obvious highlight being Luffy attacking Batman(which although is a controversial scene), had nice effects and showcased Hisada's classic snappiness.

Overall, pretty solid, if uneventful episode, looking forward to the next few upcoming episodes more, partially because of staff, and partially on the pre-text that more eventful things are coming up.

The ending was epic. That eye effect was awesome.

Also, someone said its kind of dissapointing that the old OST is used so much and that it kinda kills the whole Jidai Geki feel of Wano. And while I love the old OST and dont really mind it I'm starting to agree. I'm loving the adapation so far, even more than the actual manga. So no biggie.

Duuuude

I'm really enjoying the faces. Lots of expression.

Did they actually draw...Hold'em's...tama?

Well well well, one thing I can say is that this episode is very enjoyable if you take it out of its context. What I mean by that is if you showed this episode to an outsider who has absolutely no knowledge about the series, it's a pretty solid episode yeah.

However, this episode was definitely a mixed bag for me.

Satoshi Ito is definitely a strong episode director and one of my favorites on top of that. However I feel as if this episode is one of his weaker showings.

Though there are still some of his direction and boarding skills shining through. Dynamic layout angles, nice atmosphere setting and really smooth transitions.

However I was really bummed with how the comedic bit with Holdem didn't properly land because of the pacing. And considering Ito's capabilities, it hurts even more. Though the follow through was nice.

This episode's worst offender is definitely the bullshit filler with Batman blocking and deflecting a haki punch from Luffy. I'm sorry but Batman should've definitely been floored. I'm not a powerscaling elitist, but this is way too big for me to turn a blind eye on. It wouldn't have been difficult to make Luffy smash Batman on the floor with that punch rather than being pushed back by it.

Paradoxally the most controvercial scene is also the best animated moment of this week's episode funnily enough. It definitely shows that Kazuya Hisada still has some very solid key animation in him. With having his duties of character designer removed, I think he can finally show his true potential and if that's the case I'm definitely looking forward to episodes supervised by him.
    Monkey D. D. Ragon! So beastly he got two D's in his name!

One Piece sakuga nut and resident Katsumi Ishizuka fanboy

Twitter: https://twitter.com/SkippyTheRobot
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0Z...2JQKXRBkCGSHzw

Quote Originally Posted by Crossword View Post
    Speaking of filler I'm sure some manga purists'll get steamed at the anime giving Batman Armament Haki and allowing him to tank a Haki punch from Luffy, but if they can make these guys feel even a little less jobbery I'm all for it since that's been my big gripe with the arc antagonists so far.
    Spoiler:
    If they will continue showing Gifters with Haki it will take something of the effect last chapter had though. It was clearly Odas plan from the beginning to show Beast Pirates as pathetic little runts and then come up with Big Mom and Numbers and what not...
    Last edited by Crossword; September 8th, 2019 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    Spoiler:
    If they will continue showing Gifters with Haki it will take something of the effect last chapter had though. It was clearly Odas plan from the beginning to show Beast Pirates as pathetic little runts and then come up with Big Mom and Numbers and what not...
    Spoiler:
    Pulling a new group of mini-bosses out of thin air felt to me like a tacit admission that what we'd seen so far wasn't up to snuff.

Big Sorry for not spoiler tagging. I don't post in Anime section usually.
    Regarding the topic I disagree, but don't see the benefit in using haki for both of them anyway.

Also wasn't it rather stupid from Zoro to follow them, given that Batman tried to kill O-Tsuru moments ago? Guess his mind was only on O-Kikus sword...

Quote Originally Posted by G1Ravage View Post
    Did they actually draw...Hold'em's...tama?
    Holdem's giant, bulging ballsack was one of those things I was waiting for someone else to bring up first before acknowledging it myself lol

The flourish that was added to the "TO BE CONTINUED" screen this week made me wonder why Toei didn't take the opportunity to bring back the ancient つづく version from the very, very start of the anime that was only used for like one episode (and many viewers never saw because Kaizoku Fansubs edited it out) for Wano.

Ok seriously...
    Luffy and Zoro should be able to 1 shot that useless Bat guy. How the fk did Luffy not KO him when using haki?
    That is so dumb. Luffy 1 shotted an Elbaf Giant with a haki punch....

Duuuude

Quote Originally Posted by Crossword View Post
    Holdem's giant, bulging ballsack was one of those things I was waiting for someone else to bring up first before acknowledging it myself lol
    *sad, low-key bro fist of understanding*

But seriously, I like the animation team throwing in a little bathroom humor in the animation. I thought they were going to cut out the blow entirely, and instead they gave it more comical punch than I ever imagined.

Yonkou allied force evilvanessafan's Avatar

great......... ANOTHER episode that ends with a close-up of Luffy yelling TAAAAMMMMAAAAAAAA!

i only need 1 more of those for a full Bingo card

Was it just me, or was the running animation terrible this episode? You would’ve thought they’d have mastered that way back in PH.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information