+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 953: Once a Fox

Default Chapter 953: Once a Fox

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/one-piece-chapter-953/chapter/19066?action=read

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1003656

I enjoyed this chapter! Not the banger that everyone has been waiting for, but I love the story of where the swords are coming from and look forward to their reunion. Also wondering how Zoro will react to this Enma sword and why is Shusui so off limits?

Default Re: Chapter 953: Once a Fox

Much more enjoyable translation. Really smooth read.

Also curious that Kaido's scar wasn't necessarily caused by Enma, it's just the only *sword* to ever injure him. So Akainu being the one to cause that gigantic scar is still on the table.

Nice chapter. A little bit SHushu, a little bit Laboon. Kawamatsu and his backstory is one of the first interesting ones of the island.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I wouldn't say this is the first interesting backstory in Wano, but rather that this is the first one properly told instead of being rushed through...

Really liked this chapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    Much more enjoyable translation. Really smooth read.

Also curious that Kaido's scar wasn't necessarily caused by Enma, it's just the only *sword* to ever injure him. So Akainu being the one to cause that gigantic scar is still on the table.
    No it isn't Oda pretty clearly telling us Oden gave Kaido that scar.

Wouldn't count this as Kawamatsu's backstory. More like Onimaru's

Would be interesting if each of these allies just show up during the final battle similar to Rafiki, Timon and Pumbaa in Lion King. People are sleeping on Orochi's faction. It doesn't make sense if it's just Kyoshiro + Yakuza, Oniwabanshu, and the Mimawarigumi. I get it that that he has many Beast Pirates to back him up, but there has to be more to why Akainu was cautious enough to stop Kizaru.
    Last edited by Cockycent; August 25th, 2019 at 02:58 PM.

The flashback was nice, and well fleshed out. Based on Ushimaru's silhouette, it seems like Oda is now going to be focusing the Zoro subplot mentioned in the SBS a while ago.
    People are sleeping on Orochi's faction. It doesn't make sense if it's just Kyoshiro + Yakuza, Oniwabanshu, and the Mimawarigumi.
    I'm guessing Oda will introduce some version of the Shinsengumi and/or an Oda Nobunaga-based character being a top-tier sharpshooter.

Oh Gyukimaru was the fox all along! I could not make that out when I was reading the scanlated versions.
    Folks who read One Piece... Just better people. \_(ツ)_/

I really liked this chapter. Kawamatsu's been a low key favourite ever since his reveal and I really liked Gyukimaru's design from the start, so getting such a sweet story for the two of them was a treat. No idea where this leaves volume 94 though, because as nice as the chapter was it still didn't feel like as good a ending note as Big Mom and Kaido's clash. It's not usually safe to bet on 12 chapters to a volume but eh, we'll see where we this time next week.

Bege's story is going an interesting direction. We know that both Lola and Thriller Bark have left the Florian Triangle (though how Thriller Bark's movements aren't big news to the whole world given that it's essentially a moving island and as such pretty hard to miss is beyond me, and how has it managed to cross the Red Line again, for that matter?) but Bege doesn't, so what's he going to run into instead. The big monster worked just fine as a permanent mystery, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little keen for the lore behind it.

There was some great background art in this chapter, from the strikingly shaped mounds of the eternal graves to the fine detail of Gyukimaru's weapons stockpile. "Another day of ransacking graves ahead!" is a great line as well.

I've seen people who don't believe Onimaru could be just a fox, saying it has to be a devil fruit or something, but I think it works with the broader themes and ideas of wano to have that kitsune mythology just be a thing that happens. Or Oda could work up some lore for the Koma animals specifically, say that the can imitate humans with the right motivation and connection to someone to model themselves off.

Now Enma and Shusui are an interesting case. I find it hard to believe that Shusui is just going to be set back on Ryuma's grave to appease the Sword God. That goes hard against the philosophy of putting arms for the living ahead of respect for the dead seen earlier in the chapter. The army needs every sword it can get, which raises the question of who, if not Zoro, is going to use Shusui. Looking forward to seeing Enma in action though!

Also rip the theory that Sakazuki caused Kaido's scar. I really liked that one...

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Bege's story is going an interesting direction. We know that both Lola and Thriller Bark have left the Florian Triangle (though how Thriller Bark's movements aren't big news to the whole world given that it's essentially a moving island and as such pretty hard to miss is beyond me, and how has it managed to cross the Red Line again, for that matter?) but Bege doesn't, so what's he going to run into instead. The big monster worked just fine as a permanent mystery, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little keen for the lore behind it.
    We know Moria's been on the news quite recently, tho.

And Perona is looking for him, so maybe Bege is gonna get wrapped up in that subplot.

Quote Originally Posted by No Zaku View Post

I'm guessing Oda will introduce some version of the Shinsengumi and/or an Oda Nobunaga-based character being a top-tier sharpshooter.
    He already did it a few chapters ago.

Pavement Supervisor Gecko Moria's Avatar

I’m definitely going to raise the Ringo dead when I get to Wano…

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko Moria View Post
    I’m definitely going to raise the Ringo dead when I get to Wano…
    And then steal kaidou's shadow and leave him in the sun.

Last edited by uniaka ikuzakas; August 26th, 2019 at 03:33 AM.

Zoro will get Enma and Shusui.

Quote Originally Posted by Sengokusgoat View Post
    We know Moria's been on the news quite recently, tho.

And Perona is looking for him, so maybe Bege is gonna get wrapped up in that subplot.
    You have to wonder how close to the Florian Triangle he's going to be allowed to get before he works that out. And even so, he could still make the reasonable guess that Lola wouldn't still be there.

[QUOTE=Jabra;4000528]Much more enjoyable translation. Really smooth read.

Also curious that Kaido's scar wasn't necessarily caused by Enma, it's just the only *sword* to ever injure him. So Akainu being the one to cause that gigantic scar is still on the table.[/QUOTE

I'm pretty sure that in order to injure Kaido it had have been something really powerful and something that would scar him. I can't see how the scar he has now isn't the one that the Enma caused. Would also dehype the sword.

Some people might feel weird to see the latest chapter title "Once a Fox" (一度狐).
    It is probably based on "7 times Fox"(七度狐) in Rakugo stage, traditional Japanese entertainment that Oda loves.

In folktales, a fox is believed to have an ability to shapeshift into human and trick others.

In Rakugo stage, a fox holds a grudge against humans and tricks them 7 times.

In contrast, a fox in OP has an appreciation for Kawamatsu and transforms into human aka Gyukimaru once.
    This may be the reason why Oda made this chapter title "Once a Fox".

Will it be Kawamatsu the one dueling Kyoshiro?

I hope so, something like Hiyori is in danger because of Kyoshiro found her but this time Kamawatsu is there to protect her. (But still I don't eat the fact that Kyoshiro "doesn't know" about Hiyori's miraculous escape. So I'm ready to readmore developments on this line).

Wondering if Onimaru will let Kawamatsu recognize who he is.

So, Kawamatsu was hesitating between doing seppuku and keep working for the battle agains Kaido in the future...wow!!! And we could read even the panel in which he confess that hesitation. Such a really nice chapter to me.

Excellent chapter.
    Zoro will definitely create his own Black Blade(Wado Ichimonji), for that reason alone I don't see him keeping Shusui after this arc.

Really can't tell where Oda is going with this katana thing. Sure, Enma sounds like a wicked blade, especially if it really wounded Kaido. But Zoro himself has a blade that was used to kill a dragon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information