+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 897: ''Save O-Tama - Straw Hat Runs Through the Wasteland!''

The Mad Moiselle BellisarioFaith's Avatar

Default Re: 897: ''Save O-Tama - Straw Hat Runs Through the Wasteland!''

Quote Originally Posted by Darkestsith6 View Post
    Found the guy who prob thinks Sanji is a shit character because he doesn't treat women as equals.
    For the people who do dislike Sanji for reasons like this, it's usually not so much "because he doesn't treat women as equals". Instead, it's "because he pervs on them to a sometimes-disturbing and creepy degree, and it's played like it's supposed to be '''''funny'''''."
    Last edited by BellisarioFaith; August 11th, 2019 at 11:53 PM.
    Hidden:

Empress of Diabetes Miss Saturday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkestsith6 View Post
    Found the guy who prob thinks Sanji is a shit character because he doesn't treat women as equals.
    Found the one (1) guy who thinks Sanji having nosebleeds for the 94th time in a row is the height of comedic content. I bet a good peepee poopoo joke does it for you, too. Fart.

Spoiler:
    I should also hope that a character who doesn't treat women as equals would be considered, to most rational people, as a "shit character." So that statement says quite a bit about you, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Saturday View Post
    Found the one (1) guy who thinks Sanji having nosebleeds for the 94th time in a row is the height of comedic content. I bet a good peepee poopoo joke does it for you, too. Fart.

Spoiler:
    I should also hope that a character who doesn't treat women as equals would be considered, to most rational people, as a "shit character." So that statement says quite a bit about you, too.
    I mean like, so does Zoro…

I think there are definitely ways you could explore a character being a male chauvinist in literature in interesting ways. With that in mind, still waiting for Zoro to get his ass handed to him in a direct fight by a female character. Kind of bring things full circle for that aspect of his character...

I don't know why anyone would be upset at that little joke being excised since it didn't exactly make Sanji look good. It's not the first time the anime's done something like that; back at the slave auction during Sabaody there's a panel where an exotic dancer is being showcased and Sanji says, "Can we buy her too?!" in the manga while in the anime he's instead disgusted which is more in line with his character (or how it used to be at least).

Heh, the difference in quality between this episode and the filler in terms of background art and compositing/photography, etc. was night and day. I was actually most struck by how they actually used CG smoke for the smokestacks instead of leaving everything as a static more mostly-static piece of background art. The oily effect of the sewage running into the water was neat too, though I don't know if that was hand drawn or done on a computer too. Inoue's artwork in the first half of the episode more closely resembled his work when he was back in his prime (Ace's thick, horse neck). I hope the director next week can compensate for Shimanuki so that we can keep this streak of Wano episodes going.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

The Zoro / Luffy scene was as adorable as it was in the Manga. I don't recall Luffy greeting anyone like that, ever.
    Last edited by Jabra; August 12th, 2019 at 06:52 AM. Reason: The manga didn't make him blush, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    The Zoro / Luffy scene was as adorable as it was in the Manga. I don't recall Luffy greeting anyone like that, ever.
    Luffy and Sabo, a whole lot of crotch.

Empress of Diabetes Miss Saturday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JazzMazz View Post
    I mean like, so does Zoro... I think there are definitely ways you could explore a character being a male chauvinist in literature in interesting ways. With that in mind, still waiting for Zoro to get his ass handed to him in a direct fight by a female character. Kind of bring things full circle for that aspect of his character...
    I've never really considered Zoro a chauvinist. For that matter, I don't consider Sanji to be one, either. I can't recall any OP character outside of maybe the cartoonishly evil villains being like that.
    The whole.. gender dynamic issues the series has stem from Oda and are much bigger than I care to get into rn. Oda-sensei-chan does stumble quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by BellisarioFaith View Post
    For the people who do dislike Sanji for reasons like this, it's usually not so much "because he doesn't treat women as equals". Instead, it's "because he pervs on them to a sometimes-disturbing and creepy degree, and it's played like it's supposed to be '''''funny'''''."

It is funny. Hilarious even. Sanji defense force reporting for duty!

The Mad Moiselle BellisarioFaith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    It is funny. Hilarious even. Sanji defense force reporting for duty!
    You, and others, see it that way, sure.

But let's put it in perspective here. We're talking about people not liking things such as when a guy gropes and feels up his female teammate's body without her permission when he's in possession of it, or when he spies on both of his female teammates while they're naked, and it's just treated by the narrative as "But that's okay, because it's supposed to be funny!"

If you do indeed find the way that it's played by the story to be hilarious, fine. But you should be able to see how your mileage may vary on something like that, and recognize why there are other people who are, in fact, not amused by it and similar gags.
    Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by BellisarioFaith View Post
    You, and others, see it that way, sure.

But let's put it in perspective here. We're talking about people not liking things such as when a guy gropes and feels up his female teammate's body without her permission when he's in possession of it, or when he spies on both of his female teammates while they're naked, and it's just treated by the narrative as "But that's okay, because it's supposed to be funny!"

If you do indeed find the way that it's played by the story to be hilarious, fine. But you should be able to see how your mileage may vary on something like that, and recognize why there are other people who are, in fact, not amused by it and similar gags.
    I do find most of it to be hilarious, yes. I assume when you mention Sanji groping Nami, you mean when he was inside of her? I don't think we have a proper framework in place to talk about the sexual implications of being involuntarily put in someone else's body. I also don't think he groped her body, he just laid his hands under them in display. Also not savory, but far from groping. Also a funny gag that I don't think goes too far. He never rips off her bikini or grabs any part of her body. All of the gags involved in the body switch were funny to me, from Smoker unbuttoning Tashigi's shirt to Franky getting mad at Nami for her buttoning up his own. I just can't really comprehend the idea of personal boundaries when that happened. If I switched bodies with some random girl I work with and had no guarantee that we would ever get switched back, would I be able to demand her or would she be able to demand that I refrain from doing any given thing? I don't know, I don't think you know, but it definitely provided me with some good laughs.

As for the spying on Nami and Robin, that's another tricky one. He wouldn't need to, since the bath they went to offered mix bathing, but he did need to protect his identity, and he was there when they needed him most, in the way that made the most sense given the circumstances; that he was a fugitive. Then again, he totally was spying on them lol. Can't try and talk him out of that one. But mixed bath.

Also, I just have pop up from time to time to remind everyone that Sanji is the best, as per my contractual obligations

edit: I do understand the objections you and others have about the humor. I don't find it problematic, but it sucks that you can't enjoy that portion of the manga. Not sure what else I can say though, this isn't a battle anyone will ever win.
    Last edited by andre; August 12th, 2019 at 05:30 PM.

Was thinking before or at the start of watching: maybe they could bring back some staff from the origins of the anime by the time One Piece is finally at its finale. And then I was pleasantly surprised to see that this episode overall felt like it could've been from that time (even with pacing mandating such little chapter usage). (I'm also feeling much healthier from sudden malaise/problems forcing max hydration + detox of energy drink/caffeine/chocolate/anything for weeks now, coincidentally!)

I've never researched any staff (besides the usual musicians), though, so I have 0% idea what I'm talking about—other than that I remember people saying that a whole bunch of people were fired by the time One Piece went widescreen? No idea if some staff still comes back from that era in modern times, or if some of them are permanently gone for a reason or another. Still, would be really cool if any circumstances allow for the finale to have as much of the original staff (if it would make a difference anyway?) as possible. These thoughts just fill me with memories and possibility, regardless.
    Thus concludes my

Quote Originally Posted by Audity View Post
    Was thinking before or at the start of watching: maybe they could bring back some staff from the origins of the anime by the time One Piece is finally at its finale. And then I was pleasantly surprised to see that this episode overall felt like it could've been from that time (even with pacing mandating such little chapter usage). (I'm also feeling much healthier from sudden malaise/problems forcing max hydration + detox of energy drink/caffeine/chocolate/anything for weeks now, coincidentally!)

I've never researched any staff (besides the usual musicians), though, so I have 0% idea what I'm talking about—other than that I remember people saying that a whole bunch of people were fired by the time One Piece went widescreen? No idea if some staff still comes back from that era in modern times, or if some of them are permanently gone for a reason or another. Still, would be really cool if any circumstances allow for the finale to have as much of the original staff (if it would make a difference anyway?) as possible. These thoughts just fill me with memories and possibility, regardless.
    There was no real firing. Yes, the series director changed, but for the change to wide screen? Nah.

Several of the regulars of the show currently, especially in the animation supervision department, are staff members that have worked on the show pretty much sense its inception. Hell, one of the two animation supervisors for this episode made his initial debut on the second episode of the show(and has handled several well known episodes in his role, such as Zoro's sacrifice episode in Thriller Bark, or the death of the Merry in Enies Lobby), and the animation supervisor for next weeks episode literally worked on episode one.

Considering that One Piece is a show that has gone on for 20 years, staff(animators, animation supervisors, episode directors, series directors, storyboard artists, character designers) come and go not infrequently in the vast history of the show for a variety of reasons. I remember the original character designer for the show left sometime during Thriller Bark, apparently due to the workload associated with the role, and other animators usually go on to do bigger and better things.

With that in mind though, a lot of animators who have worked on the series for extended periods of time and have left, do have a history of participating again on the franchise in some capacity. For example, there are a lot of One Piece alumni animators who have a long history with the franchise, who worked on movie stampede.

With that in mind, there are still some animators who have either consistently worked on the show for 20 years, or have consistently returned to the show, who worked on it during its conception. For example, the animation supervisor for next episode, Masahiro Shimanuki, left for the show to work on DBS, and returned once it finished. Also true for the guy who animated Luffy's storm against Crocodile, Rifle against Enel and Jet Gattling against Lucci(all animated by the same guy), who left the show for the majority of Dressrosa, but returned halfway through WCI, and is still working on the show.

In saying that, new staff is definitely not a bad thing. Having fresh talent on board, even if just rookies, and giving them the opportunity to develop and improve their skills on the show is a definite positive.

P.S.
    Mentioning the first character designer for the series, although he left during Thriller Bark, he actually did return for two episodes of WCI, 808, which was Luffy vs Sanji, and 816, for Pedro vs Tamago. His currently working on Kitaro.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information